(Topic ID: 260761)

*NEW* TPN: Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Ep 51: John Wick Reveal & Travis’ TED Ta

By ZMeny

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What title should CGC remake next?”

• Twilight Zone 19 votes
      8%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 46 votes
      20%
    • The Addams Family 19 votes
      8%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 5 votes
      2%
    • Tales Of The Arabian Nights 33 votes
      14%
    • Theatre Of Magic 18 votes
      8%
    • Scared Stiff 6 votes
      3%
    • White Water 11 votes
      5%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 10 votes
      4%
    • The Shadow 4 votes
      2%
    • Creature From The Black Lagoon 9 votes
      4%
    • Funhouse 13 votes
      6%
    • Cactus Canyon 34 votes
      14%
    • Radical :) 8 votes
      3%

(235 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3112 (resized).jpeg
    the pinball show logo (resized).png
    goat logo (resized).png
    final round ep 80 thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    Hamish_Campbell (resized).png
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    UpperFlipperCutouts (resized).jpg
    IMG_8472 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8471 (resized).jpeg
    triple drain logo (resized).png
    silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    ThePinballShow_GoatLogo copy (resized).png
    pinball innovators and makers podcast logo (resized).jpeg
    TPS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,842 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 97.
    #3051 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

should be good now everyone sorry about that

I thought you must accidentally blurted out some insider secret and deleted it to cover your tracks

#3052 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I thought you must accidentally blurted out some insider secret and deleted it to cover your tracks

We shall never know muahaha

#3053 2 years ago

Dennis, your always throwing Oktoberfest under a bus. This time its a D rated game because the theme is alcohol. True this may steer people away who have kids or don't drink for whatever reason. However there are just as many like me who like to party and laugh and bought it for that reason!
    So according to you would Halloween be a D tier because Michael is going around killing people? How would you rate Big Lebowski #17 on the top 100 that has a physical white russian cocktail on it? If you want to rag the gameplay on Oktoberfest that is fine but the theme for many people in the midwest and internationally translates very well.

#3054 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Dennis, your always throwing Oktoberfest under a bus. This time its a D rated game because the theme is alcohol. True this may steer people away who have kids or don't drink for whatever reason. However there are just as many like me who like to party and laugh and bought it for that reason!
    So according to you would Halloween be a D tier because Michael is going around killing people? How would you rate Big Lebowski #17 on the top 100 that has a physical white russian cocktail on it? If you want to rag the gameplay on Oktoberfest that is fine but the theme for many people in the midwest and internationally translates very well.

Sales don't lie...

#3055 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Sales don't lie...

Still making them

#3056 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I thought I noted others would enjoy the theme... I would have to play back my words I do not remember. But I agree I do throw the Oktoberfest theme under the bus. On theme alone there are other holidays that would have sold better, in my opinion. YMMV

#3057 2 years ago

I know you don't like the art, Joe Balcer design, and music which is fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion but I think making a connection between the theme and just alcohol is a stretch. If you go to a festival or play the game you will see its just as much about Gemutlichkeit, families, music, rides, and of course food!
    Despite what anyone preconcieves about this theme look at these facts.
    # of pinsiders who have Hot wheels on their want list 162.
    The number for Oktoberfest is 218.
    "Numbers don't lie"

#3058 2 years ago

I may need to get me to an Oktoberfest!

Nice use of Wish List numbers, I never researched where the game stood here versus other AP titles.

I still think Saint Patrick's Day would have sold better though!

#3059 2 years ago

Oktoberfest is a horrible theme....but I think the art package/presentation killed it dead. Had it had an art package like a classic Bally Williams game...the quality of MM or MB - it would have been received a little better. I hate golf, but I love No Good Gofers. The personality & charm of the art has a lot to do with that. You look at Oktoberfest and it just looks disgusting.

#3060 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oktoberfest is a horrible theme....but I think the art package/presentation killed it dead. Had it had an art package like a classic Bally Williams game...the quality of MM or MB - it would have been received a little better. I hate golf, but I love No Good Gofers. The personality & charm of the art has a lot to do with that. You look at Oktoberfest and it just looks disgusting.

Oktoberfest art would have been better if it had focused exclusively on boobs and beer with a dash of monkey grab-ass.

#3061 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Still making them

And it still sucks. I owned one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No offense to anyone who had a hand in it.

#3062 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

And it still sucks. I owned one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No offense to anyone who had a hand in it.

Yes, I'm sure it is not in hot demand in south Dakota or Kansas.
    I would like to see a winter theme game, I miss the old ski ones like wipeout and hot doggin. A winter olympic theme with a ski jump or bob sled would be neat.

#3063 2 years ago

Free Play Pinball Podcast Episode 12.5: I Choo Choo Choose You

Host: Amanda Hamilton
    Special Guest Cohosts: Mike Hamilton & Dave Fahlgren

Amanda finally stumbles into 2022 and rehases a lot of old news with special guests Dave Fahlgren and Mr. Lord Helmet, Mike Hamilton. The trio recap the past two months, make some bold predictions about the rest of the year, and have some questions about boomerangs. Dont worry, Bill will be back for Episode 13!

email: [email protected]
    social: facebook.com/freeplaypinballpodcast

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-pmrqc-11bd7fd

free play pinball podcast logo 2 (resized).pngfree play pinball podcast logo 2 (resized).png
    #3064 2 years ago

Enjoy your break from podcasting Zach. Hope you return again soon, it's part of my weekly routine listening. See you in the Ville.

#3065 2 years ago

I have to say I really enjoy these podcasts. I look forward to my 2 hour drive up north every weekend, knowing I have these to keep me entertained and informed.
    Thank you to all the podcasters.

#3066 2 years ago

Same; here is my obligatory "thanks for the entertainment, hope you keep it going after your break" post!

#3067 2 years ago

Silverball Chronicles with David and Ron
    Episode 21 – Inside the Mind of Lyman Sheats

Episode Summary
    There are many stars inside the pinball industry, but few create such an emotional ripple in the hobby when they pass. Lyman Sheats gave so much for pinball and always wanted to give more. A perfectionist who was often too hard on himself, Lyman was always looking for ways to improve his games.

This month Ron and Dave talk all about the beginnings of Lyman’s tournament dominance, his Data East codes, his first days at Bally-Williams, coding Attack from Mars, teaming up with George Gomez, Lyman’s drive for perfection, “In Lyman We Trust”, the Masterpiece that is Batman ’66 by KaPow Pinball, and his untimely death which rocked the pinball community.

Visit Our Silverball Swag Store
    https://silverballswag.com/collections/silverball-chronicles

Sources can be found at thepinballnetwork.net

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-2a893-11bf890

silverball chronicles logo (resized).jpegsilverball chronicles logo (resized).jpeg
    #3068 2 years ago

ooooooooh i’m saving this one until i’m in my COMFY SOCKS

#3069 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity_Falls:

ooooooooh i’m saving this one until i’m in my COMFY SOCKS

Chronicles does pair nicely with a smoking jacket/robe and a whiskey sour.

#3070 2 years ago

Silverballs the best

Can't wait to listen to this one.

#3071 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Chronicles does pair nicely with a smoking jacket/robe and a whiskey sour.

Can you recommend a show pairing for tighty-whities, a Hypercolor shirt and a dab rig?

#3072 2 years ago

Can you recommend a show pairing for tighty-whities, a Hypercolor shirt and a dab rig?

yeah, that ensemble pairs nicely with a warm Zima

#3073 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

yeah, that ensemble pairs nicely with a warm Zima

“‘Yours’ would’ve been a much better punchline jsyk

ahhh yes here we go

14DE2229-957D-4098-933E-5664FED3AE9F (resized).jpeg14DE2229-957D-4098-933E-5664FED3AE9F (resized).jpeg
    #3074 2 years ago

“‘Yours’ would’ve been a much better punchline jsyk
    ahhh yes here we go
    [quoted image]

I knew I recognized those socks from that sticky Lane Bryant catalog.

#3075 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

Silverballs the best
    Can't wait to listen to this one.

Thanks Dan

#3076 2 years ago

dear dave and ron,

stop making these shows so information-packed, you’re going to wear out the tape on my podcatcher because i keep having to rewind so i don’t miss any of these TASTY NUGGETS

#3077 2 years ago

AND THE TPN HITS KEEP COMIN'!

Just Another Pinball Podcast Episode 33: Godzilla Deep Dive with Keith Elwin

Host: Joel Engelberth
    Special Guest: Keith Elwin, Stern Pinball Senior Designer

In this episode we go into Keith's design process from start to finish on Godzilla. Designing the shots, layout, and mechs used in this incredible title.

A special thanks to Keith Elwin and to Stern Pinball for the time taken for us fellow pinball enthusiasts.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-4896j-11c0df3

just another pinball logo square2  (resized).pngjust another pinball logo square2 (resized).png
    #3078 2 years ago

jesus are you trying to kill me

#3079 2 years ago

Awesome work Joel! You and Matt Morrison have the "conversational interview" format nailed. Great stuff.

Also, Keith saying they don't put levels on the lab whitewoods... ?!?!?!

Also also, "Shoot the Wamps" guy being Toho Canon is hysterical.

#3080 2 years ago

is joel v. keith the most wholesome pinball podcast of 2022? too early to tell, but the bar has been set preeeetty high.

#3081 2 years ago

is joel v. keith the most wholesome pinball podcast of 2022? too early to tell, but the bar has been set preeeetty high.

Yeah Keith was a joy to talk to. Clearly he enjoys what he does for a living and is REALLY good at it.

#3082 2 years ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I knew I recognized those socks from that sticky Lane Bryant catalog.

nah i only buy my women’s socks heavily used

#3083 2 years ago

nah i only buy my women’s socks heavily used

why not wearing something pretty to feel pretty?

2F920179-66A9-4902-842D-80D84CBA5E96.jpeg2F920179-66A9-4902-842D-80D84CBA5E96.jpeg
    #3084 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

why not wearing something pretty to feel pretty?
    [quoted image]

*tarantino intensifies*

#3085 2 years ago

Free Play Pinball Podcast Episode 13: Dissecting A Goat - Special Guest Keith Elwin

WARNING: CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE - LISTENER DISCRETION ADVISED

Hosts: Amanda Hamilton & Bill Webb
    Special Guest: Keith Elwin, Greatest Pinball Player Of All-Time & Award Winning Pinball Designer For Stern Pinball

The amazingly talented Keith Elwin hangs out with Amanda and Bill to talk pinball, the weather, and if he is part of a secret conspiracy.

social: facebook.com/freeplaypinballpodcast

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-hmir7-11c7c66

free play pinball podcast logo (resized).pngfree play pinball podcast logo (resized).png
    #3086 2 years ago

Triple Drain Pinball Podcast Episode 15: Tom Has Felt The RUSH

Hosts: Joel Engelberth, Tom Graf, & Travis Murie

In this episode we discuss Tom's RUSH LE, Weird Al release, some tournament talk, Joel finally plays Halloween, and Keith's Godzilla interview.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tripledrain
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tripledrainpodcast/
    Email: [email protected]
    Merch: https://silverballswag.com/.../triple-drain-pinball-podcast

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-ycup6-11c9756

Triple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNGTriple Drain Alternate Logo (resized).PNG
    #3087 2 years ago

You really should pull out the Halloween section. It was a grossly inaccurate and a horrible review of a game that you played twice. Did Spooky not grease your palms enough or what? That review sounded like someone with an agenda...

Jeff

#3088 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

You really should pull out the Halloween section. It was a grossly inaccurate and a horrible review of a game that you played twice. Did Spooky not grease your palms enough or what? That review sounded like someone with an agenda...
    Jeff

Re-listened to this section (starts at 1:00:00) and it seemed pretty objective and honest to me. Joel's generally really positive on everything, and even says several times that he doesn't enjoy being negative. He owns a TNA (Spooky) and has said many times that it's one of his favorite games ever. He also clearly reserved his judgment until he had an opportunity to play it (despite knowing how his cohosts feel about it). All signs of objectivity if you ask me.

He's probably too nice of a guy to defend himself but, imo, suggesting his opinion is based on handouts (or lack thereof) from manufacturers... that's more of an affront than his "review" of Halloween is.

#3089 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Re-listened to this section (starts at 1:00:00) and it seemed pretty objective and honest to me. Joel's generally really positive on everything, and even says several times that he doesn't enjoy being negative. He owns a TNA and has said many times that it's one of his favorite games ever. He also clearly reserved his judgment until he had an opportunity to play it (despite knowing how his cohosts feel about it). All signs of objectivity if you ask me.
    He's probably too nice of a guy to defend himself but, imo, suggesting his opinion is based on handouts (or lack thereof) from manufacturers... that's more of an affront than his review of Halloween is.

Right... Not sure how you took that from what was said but it really was a "I wasn't smart enough to play it so it must suck"...

Jeff

#3090 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Right... Not sure how you took that from what was said but it really was a "I wasn't smart enough to play it so it must suck"...
    Jeff

That whole section of the podcast is about how approachable/understandable games are, and what players (casual and experienced) are drawn to or find enjoyable.

These guys are allowed to have their opinions without being labeled as shills.

#3091 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

That whole section of the podcast is about how approachable/understandable games are, and what players (casual and experienced) are drawn to or find enjoyable.
    These guys are allowed to have their opinions without being labeled as shills.

Sure but, when their opinions are so negative it'll likely impact others perceptions that's just not right.

Jeff

#3092 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Sure but, when their opinions are so negative it'll likely impact others perceptions that's just not right.
    Jeff

Movie reviewers, music reviewers, Broadway critics….what’s the difference?

#3093 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

I'm sorry if my first impressions of playing the game were not positive. I really liked the look of the game and the topper was very cool. My entire goal of that section was to discuss how a non pinball player might react to the game. Neither my brother-in-law nor I had any idea what to hit during one mode and we were locked out from doing anything else. All we wanted to do was get to the upper playfield and couldn't. Communication in pinball is key and we were lost enough in those two games that we didn't have any urge to pay to play it any further. I voiced the same thing with G&R and admitted Hobbit had similar flaws and I owned/loved Hobbit! The goal was not to tell all Halloween owners they made a mistake or all people waiting on a game should back out. I agree that would be very harmful to Spooky and I have no interest in doing that. I guarantee there are Halloween owners that love the game (I'm assuming you are one of them) and I truthfully am really happy for you. Everyone has the right to love the games they own even if others disagree. I was just sharing my initial playing impressions and encourage others to form their own opinion after playing the game. Maybe Spooky hears the feedback and does something with it.

I record a podcast because I like talking pinball with my friends. We don't have any agendas and definitely have ZERO financial incentive to express any particular opinion. There are plenty of podcasters that love talking about all the things wrong in pinball and all the crap that needs fixed and to be honest I have no interest in being one of them. Pinball is a hobby that I love and if I wasn't having fun in it or enjoying it I wouldn't be a part of it. I'm sorry if my opinion brought some unwanted negativity into your day and as JStoltz pointed out that is not my norm.

#3094 2 years ago

Joel, really not sure what episode he was listening to because your review was honest and IMHO, spot on. And yes, he owns the collectors edition.
    Keep up the great work guys. You are quickly becoming my favorite podcast and I listen to almost all of them. Thanks!

#3095 2 years ago

Joel, Some of us appreciate a straight up review and you accomplished that in spades. Don’t apologize or soften your positions, in fact I wish you’d be more savage. You are at a 2 on the scale and I want an 11. Step it up, up, up!

#3096 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

If someone’s opinion is affecting someone in any significant way, that’s on the recipient of the opinion. Can’t anyone think for themselves anymore?

Btw, I don’t feel your rating of Halloween is being completely objective and honest. But that’s your right, and it doesn’t affect me in any way. See how easy that is?

#3097 2 years ago

The Pinball Show Ep 94: Pinball Wishes and Arcade Dreams

Hosts: Dennis Kriesel & Jason Knapp

- Introducing Jason Knapp of Knapp Arcade
    - We Hear From Three Correspondents
    - Stern Pinball Backlog and ScoopGate
    - American Pinball Award Nomination
    - Jersey Jack Pinball and Anime
    - Alien LV Shipping
    - Funhouse 2.0 Gameplay
    - The Deeproot Pinball Auction
    - Unmarketable Dream Themes
    - Pinball Market Trends

Knapp Arcade: https://www.knapparcade.org/
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/eclectic-gamers-podcast/

facebook: facebook.com/thepinballnetwork
    twitch: twitch.tv/pinballnetwork
    youtube: youtube.com/thepinballnetwork
    instagram: @thepinballnetwork
    twitter: @therealTPN
    review: thisweekinpinball.com/the-pinball-show/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-tiqha-11ceded

#3098 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If someone’s opinion is affecting someone in any significant way, that’s on the recipient of the opinion. Can’t anyone think for themselves anymore?
    Btw, I don’t feel your rating of Halloween is being completely objective and honest. But that’s your right, and it doesn’t affect me in any way. See how easy that is?

I actually own the game, versus walking up to it on location playing it twice and then using my platform to shit all over the game. But hey, if you want to take the opinion of someone who sounded like they had no idea what they were talking about over people who actually own the game then knock yourself out.

To be clear, my issue is never going to be with people giving reviews I don't agree with and that's not my issue here either. Of course people are free to offer their own opinion but those with a platform can abuse that trust which is exactly what happened here. It wasn't even a review, it was a "shit all over the game because I'm not smart enough to understand how to play it" commentary which is at best lazy, at worst an agenda. That was my issue. Spooky has put together something unique, special, and awesome here and to see it dismissed so quickly and with so much ignorance rubbed me the wrong way.

Lastly, my review (if you've read it) or rating of Halloween is me being completely honest from how I see it, now to your point of course that honesty is subjective for sure. Not everyone has to like the same games, no one is asking for that.

Jeff

#3099 2 years ago

TBH I think they had a totally valid criticism that UM/HWN does a terrible job of explaining objectives to the player or what they should be trying to do. That sort of stuff comes with more polish, but it's very accurate assesment at this point of development.

I think the more interesting criticism is how the upper-upper playfield is handled. Players will instinctively want to get up there right away because it's one of the features that stands out the most when you first walk up. However, the game doesn't make it easy to get up there or gives you much clue about how to get there. (I know there are some shortcuts to get there, but that's only because I'm familiar with the rules already. It's not intuitive or likely to be stumbled into by chance)

I think there are some game design benefits to not letting the player go straight to the upper-upper playfield right away, but it's a choice that does go against what a typical person will inherently want to do when stepping up to a game for the first time. I think there is an interesting debate here with pros/cons to both approaches.

#3100 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

… It wasn't even a review, it was …

You are correct (I think), his input was not labeled a review. It was a first impressions or a quick-take. A review would have been more detailed and savage. Listeners have changed the intent of his words and have done him a disservice by calling it a review. But when he does give a review, I’ll watch it because it will tell things as they are.

There are 4,842 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-network-/page/62?hl=hoteldrummer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.