Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 940 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1787 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1786 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1794 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5485 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5484 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5486 (resized).jpg
    F20B2920-37B1-48EA-94C0-A12B81FBDA2D (resized).jpeg
    B12015E1-396B-4540-BCA7-541D21FB6DBE (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    image_50404097 (resized).JPG
    image_50443777 (resized).JPG
    image_16807425 (resized).JPG
    image_67139073 (resized).JPG
    image_67183361 (resized).JPG
    image_67516929 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 940 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 19.
    #901 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hasi:

Just ordered my 40th Anniversary Edition & joining this club too.
    I want these since I was a kid & watched the original MacGyver TV show. Now I can get the game from the show finally into my home!
    The Chexx will show up shortly before Xmas in Austria! Perfect time for snowy winter season in Europe.
    Now I will start reading through tis entire thread and hope to learn everything about hardware & sound mods!
    Exciting regards,
    Martin!

Congrats!! You’re going to love it!

#902 6 months ago

I just re-joined the club! Much cleaner than my last one. 20231013_220331 (resized).jpg20231013_220331 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #903 6 months ago

Just ordered mine today, looks like 4 weeks lead time. Gonna be Nashville Predators vs Chicago Blackhawks!

#904 6 months ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:I just re-joined the club! Much cleaner than my last one. [quoted image]

Looking forward to getting some games on that beauty!

#905 6 months ago

I guess I never posted pictures of my custom Fighting Sioux Super Chexx. Thanks to Marc Blais and Magnus Leslie.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    2 months later
    #906 3 months ago

I just purchased/installed the undercabinet LED kit for my Super Chexx Pro and figured I'd share some info on the process in case anyone else is interested since there doesn't seem to be much info available on here or elsewhere. I bought my Chexx about 5 years ago when the Pro version first came out, and have been very happy with the purchase. Probably two years after buying it, the LED kit was released and though it wasn't a must-have by any means, I definitely would have gotten it if it was available when I made the initial buy. Fast forward a few years and I saw "Opt LED Kit" on the website and I figured I'd order it despite the relatively high cost ($265 delivered) for what is essentially a roll of LED lights.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. The light effect looks really good due to the custom tracking and it modernizes the game a bit (IMO) and the color can be changed to blend in with the team colors/preference/etc, or even turned off if you don't want them on.

One big negative - there are ZERO instructions that are shipped with the kit. You basically get a bag of screws (including about 10 smaller ones that aren't even used), a roll of LED lights with a harness, and the custom track kit with pre-drilled holes. When I first opened it I was admittedly underwhelmed for the cost, a simple installation diagram would have been nice for $265 given you have to drill 24 holes into the bottom of the game to attach the tracking. I had thoughts of just returning it, but figured I'd lay it all out and see how involved it would end up being.

The process ended up being easier than I first anticipated. You lay out the four track pieces and attach/stick the LED tape to the inside with the lights facing outwards. This will essentially hold the four pieces together so you can keep it in place on the underside of the game to drill the pilot holes. Once the screws (22) are drilled and in place (which you need to remove the dome from the base to accomplish), a small channel is added (2 screws) to route the wires to the base, and you simply attach the harness to 1 of 2 (unlabeled) available harnesses on the game to provide power and control for the lights. Overall, the process took about 2 hours start to finish, which was much quicker than I originally anticipated.

I'm happy with the end result and would definitely do it again. You could get fairly similar results with an LED light strip, but having the custom channel adds a higher end frosted/diffused look and having the power and colors tied in with the game menu makes it all seamless addition.

I added a few pictures in case anyone is interested.

image_50443777 (resized).JPGimage_50443777 (resized).JPGimage_67516929 (resized).JPGimage_67516929 (resized).JPGimage_67183361 (resized).JPGimage_67183361 (resized).JPGimage_67139073 (resized).JPGimage_67139073 (resized).JPGimage_16807425 (resized).JPGimage_16807425 (resized).JPGimage_50382081 (resized).JPGimage_50382081 (resized).JPGimage_67174913 (resized).JPGimage_67174913 (resized).JPGimage_50404097 (resized).JPGimage_50404097 (resized).JPG
    #907 3 months ago

Ordered mine from BubbleHockey.com. Wanted an expense before 2024. Sad to hear the "boo" button doesn't work like it used to. Stoked to see the new LCD display though. Can't wait for it to arrive. Gonna be a blast.

#908 3 months ago
    Quoted from EBDixson:

I just purchased/installed the undercabinet LED kit for my Super Chexx Pro and figured I'd share some info on the process in case anyone else is interested since there doesn't seem to be much info available on here or elsewhere. I bought my Chexx about 5 years ago when the Pro version first came out, and have been very happy with the purchase. Probably two years after buying it, the LED kit was released and though it wasn't a must-have by any means, I definitely would have gotten it if it was available when I made the initial buy. Fast forward a few years and I saw "Opt LED Kit" on the website and I figured I'd order it despite the relatively high cost ($265 delivered) for what is essentially a roll of LED lights.
    Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. The light effect looks really good due to the custom tracking and it modernizes the game a bit (IMO) and the color can be changed to blend in with the team colors/preference/etc, or even turned off if you don't want them on.
    One big negative - there are ZERO instructions that are shipped with the kit. You basically get a bag of screws (including about 10 smaller ones that aren't even used), a roll of LED lights with a harness, and the custom track kit with pre-drilled holes. When I first opened it I was admittedly underwhelmed for the cost, a simple installation diagram would have been nice for $265 given you have to drill 24 holes into the bottom of the game to attach the tracking. I had thoughts of just returning it, but figured I'd lay it all out and see how involved it would end up being.
    The process ended up being easier than I first anticipated. You lay out the four track pieces and attach/stick the LED tape to the inside with the lights facing outwards. This will essentially hold the four pieces together so you can keep it in place on the underside of the game to drill the pilot holes. Once the screws (22) are drilled and in place (which you need to remove the dome from the base to accomplish), a small channel is added (2 screws) to route the wires to the base, and you simply attach the harness to 1 of 2 (unlabeled) available harnesses on the game to provide power and control for the lights. Overall, the process took about 2 hours start to finish, which was much quicker than I originally anticipated.
    I'm happy with the end result and would definitely do it again. You could get fairly similar results with an LED light strip, but having the custom channel adds a higher end frosted/diffused look and having the power and colors tied in with the game menu makes it all seamless addition.
    I added a few pictures in case anyone is interested. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have been very very curious about this ever since i saw em; thank you so much for the info. That price is a bit too steep for me as of now, but maybe if I see a sale or something down the road, could be super cool to do. I have been tempted to go the cheap route as well, but i agree this gives it more pf a legit look. thanks again for the info.

1 week later
    #909 3 months ago

Hey there, hoping someone can help me out here.

Have a Super Chexx Pro that has started doing something very weird. It powers up fine, and will either not start a game at all or will start one, will be missing sounds, and once a goal is scored the game will simply do nothing else. Thinking maybe it's a software issue, but no idea. Any and all help appreciated!!

IMG_5328 (resized).JPGIMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    #910 3 months ago

Sounds like it could be a loose connector. I'd start by unplugging and reseating all connectors on the boards. I think there's only two or three but that would be a good starting point and check to see if your ground connector is in place and tight.

QSS

#911 3 months ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Sounds like it could be a loose connector. I'd start by unplugging and reseating all connectors on the boards. I think there's only two or three but that would be a good starting point and check to see if your ground connector is in place and tight.
    QSS

Thanks, I did that earlier today and didn't make a difference. Appreciate the suggestion though!!

#912 3 months ago

Anyone know the best place to contact for service on these?

#913 3 months ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Anyone know the best place to contact for service on these?

Never had to but when I bought a human answered the phone right away.

1 week later
    #914 3 months ago

Buddy of mine got a new pro NHL version today. Helped set it up for him. Scoreboard featured some other options like a 3v3 tournament mode..emailed ICE and they wanted $100 to upgrade the firmware plus shipping. Little steep for just a firmware upgrade but the option is there if anyone wants to upgrade to the latest firmware on their boards

#915 3 months ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

Buddy of mine got a new pro NHL version today. Helped set it up for him. Scoreboard featured some other options like a 3v3 tournament mode..emailed ICE and they wanted $100 to upgrade the firmware plus shipping. Little steep for just a firmware upgrade but the option is there if anyone wants to upgrade to the latest firmware on their boards

Whoa! Very interesting. I wonder if they “fixed” the boo button…

#916 3 months ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Whoa! Very interesting. I wonder if they “fixed” the boo button…

In the new settings menu it had something to boo button but not sure what it was. It just was an on/off setting. Next time I go to his house I’ll look more into it

#917 3 months ago

Any idea how the firmware is updated on these machines? Is a new SD card added/replaced by the owner, or would a part from the board need to be sent to ICE to be updated by them?

#918 3 months ago
    Quoted from EBDixson:

Any idea how the firmware is updated on these machines? Is a new SD card added/replaced by the owner, or would a part from the board need to be sent to ICE to be updated by them?

. yes it would be a new sd card you can get from ICE…not sure how much they are but it can’t be that expensive

#919 3 months ago
    Quoted from EBDixson:

they told me I had to send the board in to be flashed and would be $100 plus shipping

#920 87 days ago

Well that is pretty disappointing.

they told me I had to send the board in to be flashed and would be $100 plus shipping

#921 84 days ago

Can anyone tell me which screwdriver is needed to remove the dome?

#922 84 days ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

Can anyone tell me which screwdriver is needed to remove the dome?

3/16 hex or T30 works

#923 84 days ago

Do you have a phone number for their service? I’d definitely pay $100 to get the original boo functionality back.

#924 83 days ago

I would definitely consider sending mine in for an update, depending on what is included with the latest version. Hopefully they post something on the website at some point detailing what the changes are.

#925 83 days ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Do you have a phone number for their service? I’d definitely pay $100 to get the original boo functionality back.

Shouldn't have to pay for it; they should never have changed it in the first place.

#926 83 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Shouldn't have to pay for it; they should never have changed it in the first place.

Without question. But I’m ready to pay…

#927 83 days ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I believe it’s 716-759-0360.

#928 81 days ago

Trying to put a dollar bill acceptor on my location Chexx. I bought a bill acceptor coin door from ICE. How do I connect to the “UCL” connection ? It doesn’t match up to any of my bill validators.

Need help

B12015E1-396B-4540-BCA7-541D21FB6DBE (resized).jpegB12015E1-396B-4540-BCA7-541D21FB6DBE (resized).jpegF20B2920-37B1-48EA-94C0-A12B81FBDA2D (resized).jpegF20B2920-37B1-48EA-94C0-A12B81FBDA2D (resized).jpeg
    #929 80 days ago

Can anybody confirm that one of these will fit in the back of a Honda element? Thinking it will fit tipped part way over but would prefer to have confirmation

1 week later
    #930 69 days ago

Selling ours in Shelbyville, IN if anyone is interested. Working great, had the board serviced by ICE to bulletproof it for years of fun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-chexx-bubble-hockey-4

IMG_5484 (resized).jpgIMG_5484 (resized).jpgIMG_5485 (resized).jpgIMG_5485 (resized).jpgIMG_5486 (resized).jpgIMG_5486 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #931 62 days ago
    Quoted from EBDixson:I just purchased/installed the undercabinet LED kit for my Super Chexx Pro and figured I'd share some info on the process in case anyone else is interested since there doesn't seem to be much info available on here or elsewhere. I bought my Chexx about 5 years ago when the Pro version first came out, and have been very happy with the purchase. Probably two years after buying it, the LED kit was released and though it wasn't a must-have by any means, I definitely would have gotten it if it was available when I made the initial buy. Fast forward a few years and I saw "Opt LED Kit" on the website and I figured I'd order it despite the relatively high cost ($265 delivered) for what is essentially a roll of LED lights.
    I added a few pictures in case anyone is interested. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. I like the LED option. I have it too.

IMG_1421 (resized).jpegIMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
    #932 58 days ago

Has anyone had this firmware update done?

1 month later
    #933 27 days ago

I’m having a problem where sometimes the game has power and it’s lit up, but it will not start a game. The score will show FP ( free play) but it seems like it’s frozen. I had to unplug it several times before I finally got it to start. I’ve had this happen before. I have it plugged into an outlet with a switch but that is turned on. I usually keep the outlet switch off when I’m not using the game but I don’t think that has anything to do with this. Or maybe it does. Any ideas?

#934 26 days ago

To follow up my own post, according to the Bubble Hockey Facebook group this is a pretty common issue. Likely a corrupt SD memory card. There’s 3 of them and it could be any one of them. The cards are all the same. Need to call ICE for new cards.

1 week later
    #935 20 days ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

To follow up my own post, according to the Bubble Hockey Facebook group this is a pretty common issue. Likely a corrupt SD memory card. There’s 3 of them and it could be any one of them. The cards are all the same. Need to call ICE for new cards.

Dang. That sucks. Keep us posted.

#936 19 days ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Dang. That sucks. Keep us posted.

To follow up again. I did call Ice tech support. Definitely a known issue. They said for some reason the SD card on the mother board can get corrupt. They’re not sure why it happens. There’s 3 cards in the game and they all have the same exact files on them. The other 2 cards are in the scoreboard, one for each screen. The cards in the scoreboard do not need all the files to operate correctly. The simple fix is to swap the SD card on the motherboard with one of the scoreboard cards. I did that and it seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.

I also asked about updating the firmware. They do have new firmware that adds tournament play and supposedly improves the boo button. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as updating the SD cards. The update also requires a new motherboard and scoreboard. They completely overhauled the hardware so if you want the update, you need to swap the motherboard and scoreboard with the newer versions. There’s a big upfront cost involved ( around $800 or so) but they said they will credit back the original motherboard and scoreboard when they are returned. The updated SD cards would be around $30 each. I’m having a hard time believing they will actually do this for a game that’s not under warranty. My game is over 2 years old. I’m not going to bother with the upgrade unless it acts up again.

To clarify, I have the Super Chexx Pro NHL version. I don’t know if this upgrade would apply to other versions.

#937 18 days ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

To follow up again. I did call Ice tech support. Definitely a known issue. They said for some reason the SD card on the mother board can get corrupt. They’re not sure why it happens. There’s 3 cards in the game and they all have the same exact files on them. The other 2 cards are in the scoreboard, one for each screen. The cards in the scoreboard do not need all the files to operate correctly. The simple fix is to swap the SD card on the motherboard with one of the scoreboard cards. I did that and it seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.
    I also asked about updating the firmware. They do have new firmware that adds tournament play and supposedly improves the boo button. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as updating the SD cards. The update also requires a new motherboard and scoreboard. They completely overhauled the hardware so if you want the update, you need to swap the motherboard and scoreboard with the newer versions. There’s a big upfront cost involved ( around $800 or so) but they said they will credit back the original motherboard and scoreboard when they are returned. The updated SD cards would be around $30 each. I’m having a hard time believing they will actually do this for a game that’s not under warranty. My game is over 2 years old. I’m not going to bother with the upgrade unless it acts up again.
    To clarify, I have the Super Chexx Pro NHL version. I don’t know if this upgrade would apply to other versions.

Glad that was an easy fix!!

I’m really tempted on the firmware upgrade but when I called them it was just $100 to get it done. But I have a basic machine, so I’m not sure the differences

#938 18 days ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Glad that was an easy fix!!
    I’m really tempted on the firmware upgrade but when I called them it was just $100 to get it done. But I have a basic machine, so I’m not sure the differences

Yes for $100 I would probably do it. I’m just not too crazy about having to send the board and the scoreboard back. I’m may call them again with my serial number because I didn’t have it with me when I called the other day. They said they updated everything when they came out with the 40th anniversary edition but that’s not what I have. That applies to the Miracle on Ice edition but it sounds like they updated the hardware and software across the board. It’s a little confusing.

2 weeks later
    #939 2 hours ago

Finally got some graphics made for my game! Anyone interested in getting some done let me know and I’ll send over his info.

IMG_1794 (resized).jpegIMG_1794 (resized).jpegIMG_1786 (resized).jpegIMG_1786 (resized).jpegIMG_1787 (resized).jpegIMG_1787 (resized).jpeg
    #940 1 hour ago
    Quoted from Beau2105:

Finally got some graphics made for my game! Anyone interested in getting some done let me know and I’ll send over his info.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks amazing!!

There are 940 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superchexx-pro-owners-club/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.