(Topic ID: 208678)

Super Chexx Pro Owners Club

By paynemic

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5485 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5484 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5486 (resized).jpg
    F20B2920-37B1-48EA-94C0-A12B81FBDA2D (resized).jpeg
    B12015E1-396B-4540-BCA7-541D21FB6DBE (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    image_50404097 (resized).JPG
    image_50443777 (resized).JPG
    image_16807425 (resized).JPG
    image_67139073 (resized).JPG
    image_67183361 (resized).JPG
    image_67516929 (resized).JPG
    image_67174913 (resized).JPG
    image_50382081 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #681 Code file structure Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Post #682 Code & wav sound file structure Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Post #683 File modification & backup instructions Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#330 5 years ago

We are pretty gentle on ours. There was some small amount of immediate chipping/paint removal during the break in period, but it hasn't gotten any worse and you really can't tell unless you look closely. (I'm the only one in the family that notices).

Unrelated question, is it possible to change the home/away animation colors? Would be nice to have red dudes on screen match up with my red wing home team.

5 months later
    #390 4 years ago

I was a month late on a free extra player set...but I got a free t-shirt.

1 year later
    #531 3 years ago

I just give my wife the house advantage so she still is willing to play.

3 weeks later
    #547 3 years ago

I believe folks got it through 30 inch doors. It helps if you have room around the door for angling it as much as necessary. Looks like it was very tight.

Otherwise, split base is very nice.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-super-chexx-bubble-hockey/page/45#post-5488605

1 month later
    #618 2 years ago

Bravo. Not gonna lie, I probably would have sold the 2004 and used the proceeds to by a new pro. The effort looks...daunting.

1 month later
    #684 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

OK, so I'll start by saying, if you are going to try and modify the microSD card you do so at your own peril. This process can be very glitchy are a number of times I've re-inserted the card and the sounds didn't work, the config file wouldn't read etc. I was really scared at one point when I had to re-format my original card and re-put the files on it. That card seems to work in almost all cases but won't play the goal horn for any of the later teams properly. I have a card I purchased and loaded that is working fine, and I'm leaving that untouched so I can always restore it back to the original settings. Anyway, proceed at your own risk.
    If you are going to mess with your card, I recommend purchasing another card to mess with.
    I bought 2 of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandisk-Ultra-Plus-32GB-MicroSD-Card-SDSQUB3-032G-AWCMA/845798122
    Before pulling the card or putting you hand inside your machine, make sure it is unplugged every time.
    Once you pull the microSD, make a backup of all the files on your PC. I created a folder called SuperChexx and a subfolder Original. When you remove the SD card from the PC slot or USB adapter, make sure to safely eject it to prevent issues. (There is an option to do that in windows before physically removing it)
    I would then insert your new card, format it, then place all the files on it. Once done, insert it into your machine, plug it in and test it out to be sure everything is working correctly. Make sure the Anthem lists and Team lists scroll properly. (I have had issues where it wasn't being read properly in the past few days).
    Once this is done you might feel comfortable making some modifications.
    Just a note, it seems to me the data from the microSD is loaded into memory on the main machine. At one point I uploaded a wav file in place of an anthem, and it was longer than the original file which produced some strange results and even after removing the file from the card, portions of that sound file would play after other clips.
    At first, I tried taking a WAV file and replacing an existing file with it. I started with a Mike Lange "He Shoots and Scores" file in WAV format. I replaced files 030-034 all with this file. Since this was 5 files out of the 10, I figured it would play for about half the goals. This did work, except the sound was all distorted, so I needed to investigate further. I downloaded Audacity (per my son's recommendation) and examined the 030.WAV file. I noticed all the original files are at a Project Rate of 22050 HZ while the file I used was 44100 HZ. I modified my file and retested and it worked correctly. So all files must be saved at this frequency. I had some issues with volume on my files, but my son showed me how to manipulate the setting in audacity along with how to pull audio from a youtube clip.
    So now that this was working, I tried making some changes to the goal calls and this was not as easy as it seemed. Something caused the clips to sometimes cut off and other times to play one clip part way then another clip. I checked the file length on the files I replace and then adjusted the file length on the new file to exactly the same length but it still is not quite right, so I have more work to do.
    For those that only care about the Boo files, the best Boo file that is on the card is 051.WAV
    The files that play when the Boo button is pressed are 050.WAV-068.WAV. I would think you could replace all those files with the file 051.WAV and just name them appropriately, but looking at the original files, they have different lengths, so I'm not sure what will happen. I may give that a shot next.
    Also, I modified the Config file and change the first NOT USED anthem to PITTSBURGH, then I modified the file for 153.WAV to be the Penguins Theme, "Boys of Winter". I set the anthem to PITTSBURGH and this worked, although the file I used was 2 minutes in length and the US anthem I replaced was 1:13. My new file would play for 1:13, the the US anthem would play for a little bit, then the puck drop, not sure why that occurred and the Russian anthem is almost 3 minutes, but it must be coded that way, not sure. I've since removed those changes to try and restore things to normal.
    I was able to successfully change the OT home call to "Elvis has just left the Building", so that is pretty cool.

I see a side hustle of selling customized cards in your future.

7 months later
    #747 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

Yes I put in an order before the new year hoping I would get it before Christmas but no luck and I just got word it’s finally ready.

Thanks. Anything technical I need to know? How do I change settings or just basics? I seriously know nothing about this machine. Is it simple to just plug and play?

Be very careful what you use to clean the dome (ammonia and abrasives bad) otherwise you will quickly become a sad panda.

(I haven’t had to do much more than dusting it with a microfiber cloth and a little novus 1 here and there)

#757 2 years ago

A little lemon pledge now and then is all that surface will need.

3 weeks later
    #775 2 years ago

Yep unfortunately it’s functioning as ICE intended it.

Boo button is also eject button so you will get the eject clank. Boo sound catalogue has low priority, so if other commentary or special sound file is playing, you likely won’t immediately get a boo or boo sound file.

Don’t know why the heck they did that, but ICE has said in the past that it was purposeful. Seems like most owners, including me, would prefer the boo to have top priority and override most other sounds.

1 year later
    #920 86 days ago

Well that is pretty disappointing.

Quoted from Trooper11040:

they told me I had to send the board in to be flashed and would be $100 plus shipping

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superchexx-pro-owners-club?tu=oaken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.