(Topic ID: 208678)

Super Chexx Pro Owners Club

By paynemic

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5485 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5484 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5486 (resized).jpg
    F20B2920-37B1-48EA-94C0-A12B81FBDA2D (resized).jpeg
    B12015E1-396B-4540-BCA7-541D21FB6DBE (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    image_50404097 (resized).JPG
    image_50443777 (resized).JPG
    image_16807425 (resized).JPG
    image_67139073 (resized).JPG
    image_67183361 (resized).JPG
    image_67516929 (resized).JPG
    image_67174913 (resized).JPG
    image_50382081 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #681 Code file structure Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Post #682 Code & wav sound file structure Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Post #683 File modification & backup instructions Posted by rick6668 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just thought I’d start a separate thread for owners of the new Pro model with the LCD. Our issues might be a little different at times. Use this thread for pro specific talk and the original thread for common discussion?

My biggest concern is seeming lack of responsiveness of the “boo” button. Rarely do I get a boo. It takes a few seconds to cut off the anthem, etc. Minor problems, but I would love to know if others have the same response.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Same response. Sound Quality is Amazing. LCD animations are fantastic. Huge upgrades from the previous versions. I have the Black base Coin Op. NHL Blackhawks vs Boston. With Blackhawk center ice logo.
    Love this game.

Agreed. It’s getting more love than all my pins combined right now. My son and I play virtually every night.

Thoughts about the boo button?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Mine is on it's way! Quick question for anyone who opted for the curbside delivery.
    Do you really need two people on hand, or will the driver assist with getting it off the truck? I have an appliance dolly ready to go, so if they will just help me get it onto the ground, I can move it to my garage no problem.
    Shoot, after moving my 475 lb. Race Drivin' down to my basement this past Friday, the 90 lb and 75 lb boxes will seem like feathers!

Every driver is different but every pinball machine and game I’ve had delivered they help me get it in the house. You can get the boxes in yourself anyway. Especially with a dolly.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Anyone else have a humming sound coming from their game even when it is turned off? I don't really want to have to unplug it every time I'm not playing it, but if that humming sound is normal, then I guess I'll unplug it when not in use.

I haven’t ever heard humming. But I do power it off each time (not unplug, just power off button)

1 week later
    #48 6 years ago

Get rid of whatever is in the way and get one. You won’t regret it!

2 weeks later
    #49 6 years ago

Anyone get any more info on the button delay (boo button intermittently working, etc)? I miss the instant “boo” of the previous gen. But still super fun.

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

I also noticed that when I hit my "boo" button, the coil fires as if it is trying to eject the puck. Happens every time, and it only "boos" every so often.
    Does this happen with anyone else?

Exactly the same on my machine.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

This is meant to be. The button is used to eject the puck should it not eject properly on a faceoff, or to eject the puck should it fall into the hole during play.

Totally like/need that feature. Just need the boo to work better and more responsive. Also, cutoff the anthem immediately, and restart a game immediately. It all is so laggy

1 month later
    #55 6 years ago

I have the home edition and don’t miss the coin mech at all.

1 week later
    #69 5 years ago

Can we get some updated play review from current Pro owners? Specifically on the following:
    1) videos. do they grow or grate on you after seeing them over and over? Is there enough variety of them?
    2) boo button. Is it responsive enough? Loud enough? Can you affect your opponent psyche by pushing it during play like the original versions?
    3) “pinball browser”. Has anyone been able to change the videos and the sound bites by editing ala change songs on Metallica? Easy or hard to do?
    I sold my Super Chexx in a package deal for a TZ, and my wife has told me at least a dozen times “you buy and sell stuff all the time, but why did you sell the one game that everyone who ever comes over plays the most?” I tell her “because I’m getting a better one”....so before I order a Pro, I would like to get feedback. Otherwise, I’ll start scouring the Craigslist’s for used Super Chexx versions.
    Thanks!

Videos: I love them. Not sick of them or the call outs.

Boo button: definitely disappointing. Works, but apparently it can only play one sound at a time, so it might not play if something else is going. I’m hoping for a firmware update on this.

Browser: I believe people have been able to swap sounds. If I heard right, the file system is pretty simple.

Bottom line: buy it and you won’t regret it.

#71 5 years ago

Should be easy for ICE to just program a sound override where the boo button cuts anything playing off and makes boo sound the priority. I hope they do. What is best way to get them that feedback from multiple sources so they make the change?
    Was playing with my two bubble hockey buddies in KC last week. My buddy Frank has the game we bought together in 1999 still in his garage. It’s a red Super Chexx, pre-announcer call outs. Just simple crowd sounds and music to alert players to changes of period. Love the simplicity. My other buddy Dan can get rattled with the Boo button on an occassion. On game, everytime we play, I make it a point to boo his left winger every time he touches the puck during the entire game. The responsiveness of the boo button is critical with that strategy!
    (Dan on left, frank on right)

I hope ICE makes those changes. Boo is pretty lacking now. But a truly fun gaming experience anyway.

#77 5 years ago

Email sent to both addresses. This needs fixed 100%. It’s really the only significant flaw in an otherwise awesome upgrade.

2 weeks later
    #79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heisenberg:

I've had my super Chexx pro for about 6 weeks now and here is overall impression. First off, from the day I ordered it to the day it was delivered was a little over 6 weeks when the Chexx website says normal delivery is 3 to 4 weeks. It was ordered as a birthday present for my 3 sons and it arrived late. Chexx sales was very helpful and sympathetic an actually gave me 2 NHL teams of my choice at no cost because of the unusually long time it took. Awesome!
    So first let me say I believe Chexx is the best Hockey table out there by far. Yes it's expensive but it is a quality product that is built to last and the game play is unmatched. No other hockey table I've played in my life even comes close and I've played on a lot of different tables.
    I owned a SuperChexx model for a while but had to sell it for financial reasons. I came into a little extra cash and I decided to purchase the brand new pro model.
    I purchased the generic deluxe home edition. So the good things about it:
    Again, it's a Chexx. Best table there is by far. The sound is HD quality and the music/commentaries are great. The new LED lights are awesome as well. They've added Blue/Red and strobes that go off during the National anthem and when a goal is scored. Also there are red lights on the net that go on when a goal is scored on that net or both nets light up green at the end of each period. The new Jumbotron is cool but in my opinion doesn't add much to the game. Especially since the generic video's it plays are of the basic blue/red players and if you have NHL teams on your table, it kind of doesn't match up.
    Now the cons I've noticed and most of these I've read about on here and I agree are real issues:
    The Boo button is not the same at all. There seems to be several different boos or comments that will round-robin play when you push the boo button. One is just crowd noise one is crowd jeering, one is an actual crowd boo and then there are a few commentaries that may play that make no sense at all. For example he may say "That one just missed his head" or "Where's the referee". All I want is the classic boo. And the other thing is that the boo will not override another sound if it is playing ( and most of the time there is some sound playing) so you have to wait until that sound is finished before the one of the soundbites will play. That sucks. I could swear in the old SuperChexx model if you hit the boo button, it would override any playing sound and play instantaneously. So its a minor issue but that's just something that they should have kept the way it was.
    Also, there is a humming sound that comes from the speakers if the unit is not unplugged. The power off button does seem to shut the table off, but the humming sound only stops after the table is unplugged. After I unplug the unit, 4 or 5 seconds later it will make a loud pop and then the speakers go silent . I've seen a comment on here about someone having the same issue. I'm not sure if its on the home models only or what. Again not a big deal, but having to unplug it is just annoying.
    And my last complaint is that during the last 20 seconds of a game, the volume seems to increase on its own. It goes up at least 2 audible levels. So if I set the game play sound at a 4, I would say it goes to a level 6 for the remainder of the game. But then the next game it goes back to regular volume until the end of the 3rd again.
    So all in all its still a great table, but honestly the upgrades verses the cons make me believe that the previous Superchexx model is better. Hopefully Chexx will address some of these issues. If anyone has any fixes or has had to deal with the same issues feel free to let me know.

Great review. I haven’t had the speaker hum at all. I would call ice.

I agree with everything in your review except the conclusion. I love this slightly more than the classic. I never owned one, though, so I’m probably biased!

1 month later
    #94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nico:

Hello, my first Superchexx finally arrived in France Wow, my little boy (almost 3) plays a lot ...and since a month that we play it, 1st problem came tonight. Right top players (those with the large hockey cross) did not rotate as it was. (especially the blue player). it seems that playfield is not flat or the hockey cross is not.
    - Where do i start ? should i bend the player ?
    - How do we remove players on this SuperChexx Pro LCD version ?
    thank you

I had a problem with this. Take all the bolts out and lift the bubble. The ice flattened immediately for me. Then I just put the lid down again and put the bolts in. It has worked perfectly after that.

4 weeks later
    #100 5 years ago

You’re gonna love it. I think it will be a major money maker.

Also, post #100 in my own thread!

3 weeks later
    #112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Philly76:

Got my machine delivered within 3 weeks of ordering, its awesome. Whats the purpose of the clear plastic film that hangs down from the crossbar? My guess it deadens the puck and prevents bounce-outs?

Not sure what you are talking about. Can you send a pic?

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

You guys who own one are super lucky.
    One of these made it all the way down under to Western Australia and made a huge impact on the pin heads who had not seen or played one before!
    Hell I am thinking of selling a pin to get one. Just need room as well.
    Best old/new school game for an arcade IMO

Completely agree. It gets more play than all my pins when I have people over.

4 weeks later
    #155 5 years ago

Sounds like you were close. I’ve not tried it. I keep meaning to. I want all Booos to be actual boo

#158 5 years ago

Boo is a huge part of why I loved this game as a kid. The pro is amazing, but I need my good responsive boo button back.

#164 5 years ago

I traded my sweet 3rd generation super chexx to upgrade to the Pro...but all of the feedback and reviews about the boo button being basically useless has me regretting that decision now.
    How else is one to rattle the opponent when they hold the puck forever to either set up a shot or to burn the clock down? Guts get REALLY pissed off when you jiggle the goalie. So what left besides the boo button?

You won’t regret it. It’s awesome. But I need a boo fix. Ice should get on it.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

I live about 20 minutes from the ICE factory headquarters, fortunately I know a couple people that work there so when I go there to pick up parts, I always get to tour the factory floor and my first stop is always the Bubble Hockey section of this impressive arcade redemption company. The games they produce are incredible but the old classic that started it all is my favorite section to visit. I came home with a “scratch and dent” new dome and Ice surface from the reject pile. They’re building PROs at a feverish pace to keep up with demand.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome! Ask them about any plans or if they can give us any insight into making the boo button work as it used to

3 weeks later
    #191 5 years ago

Not sure what I’m seeing or hearing there.

1 week later
    #207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

Just picked one up...less then 7 months old! Guy only wanted 2k for an NHL Rangers/Flyers pro! Insane!![quoted image]

Great deal!

4 weeks later
    #220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

Hey guys, just got my Super Chexx Pro on Thurs, and have been playing it a bunch! I have noticed my lower back is pretty sore after a few games. I am 6'2" and I feel the game is a little low, has anyone done something to adjust the height of the game?

Seems like I saw a while back someone built a base. Either in this thread or in the regular superchex thread. I would buy one if i could.

1 week later
    #226 5 years ago

Mine is great. Mainly the boo button is the only real negative. I miss the instant booing.

3 weeks later
    #241 5 years ago

Love it!!! I’m excited to hear nothing but Boos on the button.

#243 5 years ago

Ok so I just tried it...worked ok..but not great...the game must look for certain length clips for the boo's...There are 9 sound files that play when the boo button is hit. 4 of them are actual boo's and the other 5 are Jean saying stupid shit lol. I tried to change the 5 to match the other 4 files but it would cut out at times...not sure why...I am for now going to keep playing but I don't think there is much more editing one can do on this game.

I appreciate your efforts. This has been one of my biggest questions. I wonder if you took the current sound file (keeping length and name intact) and edited the sound on a pc to be boo-ing for the same length, if that would do better. Can you post the names of the files that play? Also, how did you figure out the nine files?

#245 5 years ago

I went into the game and hit the boo button over and over waiting for each sound and wrote them down. Went into the files and was able to pick them out. They are listed as 050-058 on the miniSD

Awesome. I’m going to pull that sucker out and see what I can do. Thanks for your work on this!

#247 5 years ago

Anybody know a paint color match for the red base? I’m wanting to paint a little 2x4 riser I made.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

I painted my riser glossy black and it looks great against the red. If you paint a red riser I think it will look to bad, the contrast of the black and red really looks great.

Good tip. Can you post a pic?

1 week later
    #255 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

1st time for a puck getting stuck here. [quoted image]

Great shot!!

3 weeks later
    #294 5 years ago

Definitely gets more play at parties than all my pins.

1 week later
    #303 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sungod661:

Has anyone manage to edit the videos?? The generic chexx ice video arw a little annoying

I don’t mind them at all. Not having instant boo is frustrating. I keep meaning to work on that...

3 weeks later
    #318 5 years ago

Happened to me too. I opened it up and it snapped flat and has never been a problem since

1 week later
    #322 5 years ago

Wow! Great work!

1 week later
    #331 5 years ago

No chipping on mine. Maybe 200 plays.

3 months later
    #343 4 years ago

I’m happy to help but not sure how to do that

1 month later
    #361 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Don’t I feel dumb- I was cleaning and testing the game and didn’t realize that the game would keep going and going until the final shot in the goal. Everything is working great and it’s ready to go on location at the brewery!

Good find. I should have caught that!

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from BladeFury:

Finally made a stand and stained it to raise the game! Wow my back is loving it and I'm just 6' tall...$16 in wood and some leftover stain [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic! It makes a huge difference to get it higher. ICE should sell a riser!

#365 4 years ago

Get one! You won’t regret it!

3 weeks later
    #385 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Scored this huo for $500!![quoted image]

Unbelievable score!!!
    Edit: sorry I thought it was a pro. Still a great score!

1 month later
    #408 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I posted this in the chexx thread, but I made these cup holders:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s fantastic!! Must buy 4

2 months later
    #434 4 years ago

Sweet!

4 months later
    #464 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You will have no regrets I promise you and i will also promise you this. You are going to shit your pants when you open the top of that box and see how beautiful your new game is!
    The Miracle on ice version is sweeeeet!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Dang! That is hot. The custom graphic on the lcd is a nice touch.

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah it's pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's a must have because I've never played an old Super Chexx but it is pretty nice. Bubble hockey is so much fun and action packed that I dont really pay much attention to the lcd screen truthfully.
    I like my Super Chexx just as much as I do my pinball machines if not more, so glad that I bought one.

I feel the same way. Only bad thing is a second person is a must. I can play pinball solo.

3 weeks later
    #468 3 years ago
    Quoted from iamwoow:

If you have a 3D printer and want cup holders for your Super Chexx, my design has been uploaded for you and it’s FREE. I’ve included Blackhawks, VGK, Coyotes, and a blank one for now.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4539756
    [quoted image]

Thanks for posting that! I’m going to print a blackhawks set when I can find a 3d printer locally.

1 month later
    #485 3 years ago

Stanley cupholders! Awesome!

#495 3 years ago

That will be an awesome upgrade!

#498 3 years ago
    Quoted from TAZ-284:

Just noticed your scoreboard! Did you intentionally make it this score for this photo, Easter egg?? This is the final score of "Miracle on ice".
    [quoted image]

!!!

2 months later
    #501 3 years ago
    Quoted from spjohn1964:

I just ordered my 1st Bubble hockey game! After a long time of deliberation of deciding to go new vs used, SuperChexx vs cheaper brand (Shelti, Carrom etc.) SuperChexx Pro, NHL or other configuration. I went with the standard SuperChexx (HUO)Pro standard base, no cup holders & no led... However I did get a free Tampa Bay Lightning Ice surface! Go Bolts⚡⚡⚡ It had to be shipped separately as it could not be included with a non NHL themed game. However it was still free! From what I have researched it is not that hard to swap out Ice surfaces. I am very, very excited to get this game! I went with the base model and figure I can do my own custom things as time goes on. I have seen a lot of great ideas on this thread. I do have one question. Has any one figured out to make the Boo button more responsive or at least supersede the other audio sounds? I probably will not be not as disappointed as some as I never had the previous version. However I did expect by it's own explanation that when one would hit the "Boo" button there would be a sound of the crowd booing!

I thought someone in this thread made the boo button only do booing by replacing all the other sounds with just the boo. Can anyone confirm?

3 weeks later
    #507 3 years ago
    Quoted from spjohn1964:

Well my dream game arrived today! There was a little shipping miscommunication so the game arrived before my better 1/2 left for work. So with out me being able to hide it in the shed, I had to divulge a Christmas surprise! I love it! She hates it! She see's no point in it & thinks it's way to big! (That's what she said! ) We have been arguing about it all day! It's okay I know she'll come around! She was the exact way when I bought my 1st Pin & she loves it now! Also got my Tampa Bay Lightning Ice surface for free as promised. I've only had a chance to play a couple of games on it with My Niece's fiancee (He thought it was fricken killer)... As of yet my better 1/2 won't even consider it...
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My wife never came around, but doesn’t mind it. I love mine! Enjoy!

3 months later
    #543 3 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

I’m trying to convince the wife to let me buy one. My kids want one after playing it at the ice rink. I have a feeling i’ll be pumping a few more dollars into it for now.

Just buy one now while your kids are young. They hold their value very well.

1 week later
    #546 3 years ago
    Quoted from jonboy71:

Question about the base. Are you able to angle this thing and get it inside a 30" doorway? By the design, it looks to me like you should be able to.

I’m not at home to check. But I believe so. If you’re very worried you can order the split base. But the top comes off the base so I think you’ll be ok.

#550 3 years ago

Speakers seem fine. I just want a more
    Reactive boo button

1 month later
    #646 2 years ago

I hate to come back to this, but did anyone ever modify the sd card to ONLY play the boo from the boo button? I need more boooo!

4 weeks later
    #670 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

OK, I found it, was able to successfully change 5 files from "He Scores" to another clip I modified. Going to do some more investigating, but it's working well so far.
    Anyone have an audio clip of the original Boo, doesn't seem to be on this machine, and I'd like to add it.
    Thanks

That’s nice work! I’m thinking of replacing all the boo files with just the og boo. Can you tell us more about the file structure?

#679 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

Well, purchased a 32gb microSD card and copied the files over. Installed this card and everything works perfectly including all the goal horns for each team. Something is corrupted on my original card, I've tried re-formatting multipple time and re-copying the files but the goal horns after Tampa Bay will not work each time... so strange.
    Anyway, I'm going to pick up a second microSD card tomorrow and repeat the process to be sure I have a good working copy. Then keep making modifications. I will give a full update on the file details and the best way I see to change them in the next few days.

That’s awesome. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Quoted from rick6668:

Do you have the file for the og boo?

I don’t. Seems like there’s one boo on there at least

#686 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

OK, so I'll start by saying, if you are going to try and modify the microSD card you do so at your own peril. This process can be very glitchy are a number of times I've re-inserted the card and the sounds didn't work, the config file wouldn't read etc. I was really scared at one point when I had to re-format my original card and re-put the files on it. That card seems to work in almost all cases but won't play the goal horn for any of the later teams properly. I have a card I purchased and loaded that is working fine, and I'm leaving that untouched so I can always restore it back to the original settings. Anyway, proceed at your own risk.
    If you are going to mess with your card, I recommend purchasing another card to mess with.
    I bought 2 of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sandisk-Ultra-Plus-32GB-MicroSD-Card-SDSQUB3-032G-AWCMA/845798122
    Before pulling the card or putting you hand inside your machine, make sure it is unplugged every time.
    Once you pull the microSD, make a backup of all the files on your PC. I created a folder called SuperChexx and a subfolder Original. When you remove the SD card from the PC slot or USB adapter, make sure to safely eject it to prevent issues. (There is an option to do that in windows before physically removing it)
    I would then insert your new card, format it, then place all the files on it. Once done, insert it into your machine, plug it in and test it out to be sure everything is working correctly. Make sure the Anthem lists and Team lists scroll properly. (I have had issues where it wasn't being read properly in the past few days).
    Once this is done you might feel comfortable making some modifications.
    Just a note, it seems to me the data from the microSD is loaded into memory on the main machine. At one point I uploaded a wav file in place of an anthem, and it was longer than the original file which produced some strange results and even after removing the file from the card, portions of that sound file would play after other clips.
    At first, I tried taking a WAV file and replacing an existing file with it. I started with a Mike Lange "He Shoots and Scores" file in WAV format. I replaced files 030-034 all with this file. Since this was 5 files out of the 10, I figured it would play for about half the goals. This did work, except the sound was all distorted, so I needed to investigate further. I downloaded Audacity (per my son's recommendation) and examined the 030.WAV file. I noticed all the original files are at a Project Rate of 22050 HZ while the file I used was 44100 HZ. I modified my file and retested and it worked correctly. So all files must be saved at this frequency. I had some issues with volume on my files, but my son showed me how to manipulate the setting in audacity along with how to pull audio from a youtube clip.
    So now that this was working, I tried making some changes to the goal calls and this was not as easy as it seemed. Something caused the clips to sometimes cut off and other times to play one clip part way then another clip. I checked the file length on the files I replace and then adjusted the file length on the new file to exactly the same length but it still is not quite right, so I have more work to do.
    For those that only care about the Boo files, the best Boo file that is on the card is 051.WAV
    The files that play when the Boo button is pressed are 050.WAV-068.WAV. I would think you could replace all those files with the file 051.WAV and just name them appropriately, but looking at the original files, they have different lengths, so I'm not sure what will happen. I may give that a shot next.
    Also, I modified the Config file and change the first NOT USED anthem to PITTSBURGH, then I modified the file for 153.WAV to be the Penguins Theme, "Boys of Winter". I set the anthem to PITTSBURGH and this worked, although the file I used was 2 minutes in length and the US anthem I replaced was 1:13. My new file would play for 1:13, the the US anthem would play for a little bit, then the puck drop, not sure why that occurred and the Russian anthem is almost 3 minutes, but it must be coded that way, not sure. I've since removed those changes to try and restore things to normal.
    I was able to successfully change the OT home call to "Elvis has just left the Building", so that is pretty cool.

Seriously GREAT work. Can’t wait for a solid BOO!

I definitely think these posts should become “key posts” in this topic. It’s probably the most discussed theme in this thread. Anyone know how to get an editor to do this?

1 week later
    #691 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

More progress this afternoon. I managed to get the modified card working perfectly with no glitches. I think I'm on my way to getting a fully customized card. More details to come.

So good! Do you think you can essentially replace all the current “boo” callouts for a nice loud original boo?

#693 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

If I could get the original Boo file, I know I definitely could. I can't seem to find one anywhere and I've had no responses when I ask.

What about the existing one on the card. Could we just turn the volume up on that? It’s probably similar?

#696 2 years ago
    Quoted from rick6668:

OK, Some more updates.
    I managed to get the original card working as it was originally shipped. I also have another card with an exact backup and one to experiment on which has my penguins specific sounds.
    The key to this is understanding the MicroSD card itself, when files are deleted or changed, they still exist on the card physically, if you make changes, the original files are still there but you can't see them. It seems that when the card is loaded into memory, this is what causes the overlapping of sounds etc. Each time you want to change the card, you need to do a complete format (not quick) and then place all the files on the card. Each time I have done this it worked perfectly. It takes about 30 minutes to format and about 10-15 to load the files.
    OK, so now some updates on when these files are played.
    016-017 plays when any team wins in OT (update)
    070-079 are items that are also listed in the Boo list as well as goal calls for the last 4, I haven't figured out when these play exactly as they are the same files in other areas, will have to investigate more
    Update!!- These file 070-079 play in attract mode when the game is on but not in use.
    So I used audacity to grab clips from the Penguins 2016 and 2017 cup runs with goal calls by Mike Lange.
    Some I trimmed to be the same size as the originals I would replace, others were a little longer and seemed to work fine. One gets cut off, cause it's likely too long.
    I replaced all the He Scores calls 30-39 with the following (5 unique calls):
    Heee Shoots and Scores!
    Heeeeee Shoots and Scores!
    Pulls the Trigger and Shoots and Scores from 50 feet!
    Heeee Shoots and Scores!
    Heeee Shoots and Scores! (with Crowd)
    Heeee Shoots and Scores!
    Heee Shoots and Scores!
    Heeeeee Shoots and Scores!
    Pulls the Trigger and Shoots and Scores from 50 feet!
    Heeee Shoots and Scores! (with Crowd)
    These all play whether the home team scores or away, so they are not team specific other than the announcer.
    Then I replaced the following Home Calls 080-089 as follows:
    Crosby to Kunitz (Game 7OT winner vs Ottawa)
    Shooting, scoring from the left wing circle, Oh how much fried chicken can you eat?
    Finders keepers losers weepers.
    You'd have to be here to believe what just happened.
    Oh Michael, Michael motorcycle, what a shot by Phil Kessel!
    Oh get in the fast game grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll.
    Oh make me a milkshake Malkin!
    Tell your Ma, tell your Pa, I'm gonna send ya back to Arkansas.
    Oh give me back my old Cadillac!
    I just wanna see a silly seal sliding sideways in Sausalito!
    The Boo button uses clips 050-068.
    I replaced 5 clips with the best boo on the card, 051, so it plays more often. I also created a "Let's Go Pens!" clips from a chant at the igloo and replaced 2 files with that. It sounds nice when it plays.
    I will be looking for a few more scoring clips to work in as well as trading out the attract mode sounds as those are all Rick Jeanerette.
    Feel really good about the progress made. Can't wait for guests to try it out at my party tomorrow for the 4th.

So exciting. I’m going to look forward to making this happen myself soon!

2 weeks later
    #713 2 years ago
    Quoted from dnaman:

Hi Everyone.
    Is there a troubleshooting guide available for the Super Chexx Pro?
    I have a brand new Super Chexx Pro with maybe 40 plays to date. Every other time I turn on the game the right side LCD remains black/off. If I cycle the power it comes back on. The other issues that I have started to experience is that after power on, adding credits register but I can't start a game no matter how many credits (the settings are set to 1 coin = 1 credit). When this happens I cannot get into the setup via the PRG button. The 2nd and 3rd (test credits?) buttons register but I can't do anything. This just happened now when someone had stopped over and I powered the game on to try it. The first time, no right display, then every time afterwards, credits woudl register but no game would start.
    I will also add that when I add many credits the numbers eventually turn to other characters on the credit area: E.g., ;/1 for example (see the picture)
    I had contacted ICE with the display issue and was told to reseat the connectors in the jumbo tron. I will be trying that this weekend but with this new issue I am getting to my wit's end on this.
    Let me know if any of this is familiar sounding.
    Thank you.[quoted image]

Not familiar. Reseat. Maybe a bad sd card too. That would be easy to fix

4 months later
    #733 2 years ago

$7995
    [quoted image]

I like it! I hope it’s a few inches taller.

#738 2 years ago

Has anyone purchased one of these yet? If so, how is the quality? Is it slippery? I’m tempted to piss my money away on this instead of a Stern Topper! Lmao!
    [quoted image]

Looks pretty cool. I wonder if it’s spongy comfortable or hard?

1 month later
    #750 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

Thanks. What do people usually use to clean dome?

I just dust periodically. What a great game! You’re going to have a blast. It gets more love than all my pins!

#751 2 years ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

Be glad you bought when you did which I’m assuming was last year. The prices have gone up pretty significantly in the last week

How much did they go up out of curiosity? I bought mine a few years ago so I don’t even remember what I paid.

3 weeks later
    #772 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bubblehockey2:

It’s taken a number of years on and off, but I’ve finally figured out how to modify the generic super chexx pro to display NHL logos.
    Not wanting NHL logos that would be come quickly outdated along the boards and what not, I purchased 2 NHL teams and a team ice to go with the generic model.
    The supplied SD card on the generic has the NHL logos loaded on it. What they do is modify the motherboard so you can only scroll to the generic teams.
    The workaround is to move the NHL logos into the placeholders of the generic ones. There are 3 SD cards (2 in scoreboard and 1 in motherboard) that needs to be modified and synced up.
    There are 2 .bin files that need to be modified using a computer graphics program. 250.bin is the in-game scoreboard logo and 000.bin has the rotating logos. So long as you can cleanly transpose the logos, you’re golden. The goal horns are tied to placeholders and need to be update as well. If memory serves me correctly, the generic SD card doesn’t have the NHL goal horns.
    The NHL SD card can be purchased for $30 or $35.
    It’s definitely an art, not a science and might need some patience and some trial and error, but it’s worth saving the $1,000 increment ( or whatever it is) between generic and NHL versions.
    If anyone needs specifics on the how to’s, I’m happy to help.

Wow! Great work!

I think a commonly asked about mod in addition would be replacing the current “boo” sound (weak) for the original actual boo. Would you approach also solve that problem?

#774 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

So I just received my NIB super chexx. When I press the boo button during game all I hear is an ejection sound, and no boo at all. Tired this many times. Is this normal? Did they eliminate the boo soundbit? Or do I need to fix something?

See one comment above. I believe on the pro, the boo button makes a call to a number of potential sound effects. Occasionally (rarely in my case) I get an actual boo. My hope is to replace all the existing sound callouts with the same solid “boo” from the original chexx. I believe we’re closing in on the capability to do that.

#777 2 years ago

Definitely miss the boo when an opponent is taking way too long to line up a shot. I’m thinking about a dedicated boo sound system with its own speaker or something if we can’t get the tech to work any other way

3 weeks later
    #798 2 years ago

Welcome to the club you guys! You’re going to love it!

#800 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Got mine last May before the prices went up. Think I paid like $3750 for Caps vs Pens, leds, and the skated on caps ice.
    Play with the kids occasionally. Fun to play against the in-laws. Im not very good and usually drinking when i play. My oldest son beats me pretty handily.

2v2 or even 3v3 will have you cheering and yelling. So much fun.

3 months later
    #814 1 year ago
    Quoted from MLeslie347:

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller. Just received a new SuperChexx Pro MOI edition a couple of weeks back and finally got done tweaking it with some custom ice / graphics and I finally have it set up the way I wanted it.
    Thanks largely to some of the posters here, namely rick6668, the last part of my customization (for now) was swapping out most of the stock audio clips and replacing them with snippets of the actual Al Michaels/Ken Dryden and Curt Chaplin broadcasts of the game. After repeatedly pouring through several pages of posts, I managed to get it done successfully (~70 of the audio files in all) and other than being a somewhat tedious process, was actually fairly straightforward once I got going.
    I know audio file modification is a fairly often asked question around here, as well as across several Chexx Facebook sites- so I documented my efforts as I was going through the process and put together a pretty detailed video on how specifically I went about doing things. Hopefully that, along with Rick6668's written description posted a couple of pages back will be of use to others who want to do the same thing, but like me, had no idea how to go about it at first.
    The MOI version SD does not have all of the NHL-related team names in the .txt file and lacks most of the goal-horn .wav files contained on a NHL version chip, so presume my SD may also be a bit different than the basic red vs. blue only chip, but guess I don't know that for sure.
    I also know that different modders have reported different audio file specs on their associated cards. My card/table came with a Gen 1.5 chip and that required me to save everything as 22khz, 16-bit audio to work/play correctly - for what it's worth.
    Anyway, hope this helps someone who might be teetering on the fence about trying to mod their stock audio:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great work! Thanks for posting.

1 month later
    #822 1 year ago
    Quoted from Farmboss:

I am going to buy the basic home game. I don’t really follow the sport so no need for the added expense of NHL version. The LEDs look neat but I think they are $250 dollars for a $25 dollar part.
    Before I order does anyone have a current promo code? Thanks

I don’t. Sorry! I have the basic machine and it is awesome. You’re going to love it!

4 months later
    #834 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Anyone contemplating buying a Super Chexx Pro factory direct?

Don’t hesitate. Best game in my house!

3 weeks later
    #843 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jimmyboy0727:

Has anyone had luck cracking the BIN files to modify?

Yes. I believe that has happened. I wish we could make it a key post. I don’t k is how to do it. I’ll try to find it.

Edit: ok. This guy has the best info I think. It’s starts here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superchexx-pro-owners-club/page/14#post-6337767

2 months later
    #855 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Does anyone use this stuff to clean their dome ?
    [quoted image]

No is it good?

Quoted from bossk4hire:

Has anyone added an external on internal sub to their game or is that not possible?

Unknown! Sound system is pretty good on these. I usually hear mine upstairs if it’s turned up.

1 month later
    #868 11 months ago
    Quoted from miliet:

Hi friends
    Im from Spain and this year can finally get my super chexx pro. Many years waiting to have it and it has been very difficult getting one here in Spain.
    I show you my machine with the modifications I have made, especially proud of the billboards around the playfield.
    [quoted image]
    I enjoyed so much with my friends and family.

Very nice!! Enjoy. Such a great party game.

2 months later
    #890 9 months ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

I just repaired the broken hockey stick on my CCCP long hockey stick winger on my 'Miracle On Ice' version. I found a very small picture hanging nail in my nail stash and cut it to the correct length with a Dremel tool so that it could act as a metal pin to hold the two pieces of the broken hockey stick together.
    Then I drilled a very small hole into each broken piece of the hockey stick where the 2 broken pieces will be joined together. I also used a gel super glue in addition to the metal pin to join the pieces together.
    Once the pieces were joined I let the glue setup for 30 minutes using a small vice and then using a very fine file I filed the repaired joint smooth and it seems to be very, very strong. I will keep this repaired CCCP long hockey stick player as a spare in the event that I ever need it. I do believe that this repair will hold up to the rigors of bubble hockey play.
    Gord
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Beast mode repair!! Great work

2 months later
    #899 7 months ago

Nice!

1 month later
    #901 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hasi:

Just ordered my 40th Anniversary Edition & joining this club too.
    I want these since I was a kid & watched the original MacGyver TV show. Now I can get the game from the show finally into my home!
    The Chexx will show up shortly before Xmas in Austria! Perfect time for snowy winter season in Europe.
    Now I will start reading through tis entire thread and hope to learn everything about hardware & sound mods!
    Exciting regards,
    Martin!

Congrats!! You’re going to love it!

1 week later
    #904 6 months ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:I just re-joined the club! Much cleaner than my last one. [quoted image]

Looking forward to getting some games on that beauty!

2 months later
    #913 3 months ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Anyone know the best place to contact for service on these?

Never had to but when I bought a human answered the phone right away.

1 week later
    #915 89 days ago

Buddy of mine got a new pro NHL version today. Helped set it up for him. Scoreboard featured some other options like a 3v3 tournament mode..emailed ICE and they wanted $100 to upgrade the firmware plus shipping. Little steep for just a firmware upgrade but the option is there if anyone wants to upgrade to the latest firmware on their boards

Whoa! Very interesting. I wonder if they “fixed” the boo button…

1 week later
    #923 81 days ago

they told me I had to send the board in to be flashed and would be $100 plus shipping

Do you have a phone number for their service? I’d definitely pay $100 to get the original boo functionality back.

#926 80 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Shouldn't have to pay for it; they should never have changed it in the first place.

Without question. But I’m ready to pay…

2 months later
    #935 17 days ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

To follow up my own post, according to the Bubble Hockey Facebook group this is a pretty common issue. Likely a corrupt SD memory card. There’s 3 of them and it could be any one of them. The cards are all the same. Need to call ICE for new cards.

Dang. That sucks. Keep us posted.

#937 16 days ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

To follow up again. I did call Ice tech support. Definitely a known issue. They said for some reason the SD card on the mother board can get corrupt. They’re not sure why it happens. There’s 3 cards in the game and they all have the same exact files on them. The other 2 cards are in the scoreboard, one for each screen. The cards in the scoreboard do not need all the files to operate correctly. The simple fix is to swap the SD card on the motherboard with one of the scoreboard cards. I did that and it seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.
    I also asked about updating the firmware. They do have new firmware that adds tournament play and supposedly improves the boo button. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as updating the SD cards. The update also requires a new motherboard and scoreboard. They completely overhauled the hardware so if you want the update, you need to swap the motherboard and scoreboard with the newer versions. There’s a big upfront cost involved ( around $800 or so) but they said they will credit back the original motherboard and scoreboard when they are returned. The updated SD cards would be around $30 each. I’m having a hard time believing they will actually do this for a game that’s not under warranty. My game is over 2 years old. I’m not going to bother with the upgrade unless it acts up again.
    To clarify, I have the Super Chexx Pro NHL version. I don’t know if this upgrade would apply to other versions.

Glad that was an easy fix!!

I’m really tempted on the firmware upgrade but when I called them it was just $100 to get it done. But I have a basic machine, so I’m not sure the differences

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superchexx-pro-owners-club?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.