Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 60.
    #2901 30 days ago
    Quoted from Jjlp:

I had try pinball precision flipper (holographic) on my James bond pro.
    - flipper power increase (but no need in fact)
    - precision of the shoot => 0% improvement IMO
    - destruction of standard rubber and titan rubber in less than 100games
    So... Useless IMO, i sold them After 1month.

I'll say bond isn't a game that gets huge benefits. Most shots are close and clean, extra power isn't really a boon except for maybe the left orbit. Doesn't hurt, just not really necessary. They do LOOK great on the game if you're into that (I am). I do think they smooth the loop and henchman ramps a bit, but it isn't dramatic. Jaws is another that doesn't really "need" them, though they do make the wave ramp a lot more consistent.

There are a lot of games that really benefit a ton from Precisions though. Rick and Morty sees huge benefits for example from the added juice. Godzilla is fine without, but the improved accuracy really does help with things like the left ramp and the behind-the-flipper shot. Sometimes I'm surprised too - didn't think they'd make much difference on Stranger Things, but man they smooth it out - not just me either, I get a lot of comments on location about how much better mine shoots than the others folks have played.

Another subtle benefit is they extend the time to fade, which actually makes a big difference in tourneys.

#2902 30 days ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Anyone want to guess what this is?
    [quoted image]

John anticipation is killing me!?!

#2903 30 days ago

Enchantress It's a new spinning disc for Jaws to replace the factory sheet metal part that comes with the game. I had requests from a few owners to make bushings and a better disc. Here's what the finished prototype looks like, play testing now.

Jaws Bushing (resized).jpgJaws Bushing (resized).jpgJaws Disc 1 (resized).jpgJaws Disc 1 (resized).jpgJaws Disc 3 (resized).jpgJaws Disc 3 (resized).jpg
    #2904 30 days ago

Awesome, your AIQ disc has been fantastic.

#2905 30 days ago

I’m about ready to ship my Stranger Things to John. Just so he’ll get fed up with the Telekinesis lock and work his magic on that troubled mech, too.

#2906 30 days ago

There's tron too, but that's already been fixed.

BestToyInPinballPunkin

#2907 29 days ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Looks like i finally joined the club. Yippee
    [quoted image]

He just ignored you.
    I've been blocked.

Do better.

#2908 26 days ago

So I put the adjustment tool on to adjust a drooping flipper, then I absolutely couldn't get the screw back out. The head of the screw started stripping and I looked at it sideways... the screw bent sideways while unscrewing it and now don't budge at all. What could have caused this? First time using the adjustment tool.

20240331_194423 (resized).jpg20240331_194423 (resized).jpg
    #2909 26 days ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

So I put the adjustment tool on to adjust a drooping flipper, then I absolutely couldn't get the screw back out. The head of the screw started stripping and I looked at it sideways... the screw bent sideways while unscrewing it and now don't budge at all. What could have caused this? First time using the adjustment tool.
    [quoted image]

Did you take out the Allen head cap? I forgot once and bent that same bolt a bit

#2910 26 days ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Did you take out the Allen head cap? I forgot once and bent that same bolt a bit

Yes I did, no problem there, but it was really hard to screw in all the way. The flipper finally popped off, then unscrewing it was impossible.

#2911 26 days ago

javagrind888 I'll send you a new screw, it's possible that you may have received a screw that was not stainless steel, a few standard steel screws got sent out by mistake.

I'll send you a PM to make sure I have your correct address.

John

#2912 25 days ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

[quoted image]

Yeah, somethings off. I’ve been adjusting these for years with no issue. Typically, hand screw the bolt down, then a small turn with a screwdriver and the bat pops right off. Assuming you took the Allen head cap, it could be the bolt didn’t go in straight missing the top of the flipper post. It doesn’t take much tension so nearly stripping the bolt indicates you were not centered. Did you use the two smaller screws on the tool?

#2913 25 days ago

Put three Precision bushings in my White Water and have enjoyed them so far. Going to put four bushings in my Jurassic Park (Stern), including for the Jeep, as the need for accuracy on the shots in the game is high and stock feels just a bit inconsistent, especially on the upper right flipper. Will report back in a couple weeks when the results are in.

#2914 24 days ago

I just installled halos in my cactus canyon LE along with the aluminum bushings and keyed spindles. I have checked the EOS switches to ensure that they are not making contact too early in the stroke (normally open leafs). No binding is present.

Yet / The flippers feel somewhat underpowered - which is unusual for precision flippers which usually give a boost.

Could it be the halos are reducing the “bounce” that the plastic flippers previously had, and I just need to bump up the coil strength?

Any suggestions?

PS: i also found the stock williams flipper return springs were pretty flaccid / so i swapped those out for stern springs which gave the flippers much better “snap”. Note that the power issue was experienced with both spring types

#2915 24 days ago

Hershmeister Somethings not right as a direct swap from factory flippers and bushings over to Precision Solid Top or HALO's would result in improved response/power without making any other changes to the coil settings. I really don't think the return springs would have an effect on what your experiencing.

Have you tried raising the coil power settings to make a test and see if they respond any differently? I'd try that just to see if anything changes, if nothing changes then maybe check the coil stops or sleeves, or the plastic link to the keyed shaft clamps to make sure they are free and not over tightened perhaps.

#2916 24 days ago

Did you use a thin gap tool to keep a small gap between the bushing and the top of the shaft? Might be too snug if not

#2917 24 days ago
    Quoted from Hershmeister:

I just installled halos in my cactus canyon LE along with the aluminum bushings and keyed spindles. I have checked the EOS switches to ensure that they are not making contact too early in the stroke (normally open leafs). No binding is present.
    Yet / The flippers feel somewhat underpowered - which is unusual for precision flippers which usually give a boost.
    Could it be the halos are reducing the “bounce” that the plastic flippers previously had, and I just need to bump up the coil strength?
    Any suggestions?
    PS: i also found the stock williams flipper return springs were pretty flaccid / so i swapped those out for stern springs which gave the flippers much better “snap”. Note that the power issue was experienced with both spring types

The other thing that comes to mind is to ensure there's a credit card (1 mm) clearance off of the pf/bushing to avoid friction/resistance. Both machines I installed Precision flippers on experienced much improved performance, so much that I opted to lower my flipper power settings. Good luck solving your problem.

#2918 24 days ago

Any suggestions?

A few other things to check:

Actuate the flippers manually using your hand - can you feel any resistance? Sometimes the pawl can drag across a bushing screw if the pawl arm isn't sitting flush against the linkage.

Looking at the eos switch - when does it engage? Optimally the switch will engage right at the end of stroke. I usually have to adjust this on most new games as it's engaging way too early (which shifts the flipper from full power to "hold" mode).

#2919 24 days ago

All good suggestions. The most common problem I see is the EOS Pawl has rotated such that it will touch (or brush) one of the bushing hold-down screws. As others have suggested, actuate each flipper by hand and make sure its smooth, nothing binds, and that nothing is touching underneath, especially the EOS pawl.

#2920 23 days ago

Update: no binding issues found - increasing coil setting does increase power. My power issues is more in being able to hit the far left orbit horse loop and far right bank shots. Other shots are generally fine.

I have triple checked my EOS leaf settings and they are good. Definitely not engaging to early.

I am beginning to wonder if the flipper angle needs to be adjusted? Would moving the flippers slightly more upswept improve these shot powers?

#2921 23 days ago

PS: one of the key shafts seems to have been drilled deeper - the gear puller screw does not hit bottom when its all the way in…. The other key shaft works just fine for removal, i had to use my kung fu grip to pull the flipper off by hand!

IMG_0938 (resized).jpegIMG_0938 (resized).jpeg
    #2922 23 days ago

PS: one of the key shafts seems to have been drilled deeper - the gear puller screw does not hit bottom when its all the way in…. The other key shaft works just fine for removal, i had to use my kung fu grip to pull the flipper off by hand![quoted image]

The older shafts were drilled deeper and came with a longer pull screw. Is this your only set of precisions or have you owned multiple sets? I ask because this happened to me as I was simply throwing new precision shafts in with my older ones and had the same thing happen to me recently (one side pulled fine but the other needed the longer screw).

#2923 23 days ago

Hershmeister Good speaking with you on the phone, I'll be sending you a longer screw to use with your flipper puller for use with those shafts. I think we both worked through the issue with your Cactus game as well. The static position (or clocking) of the flippers will certainly effect how the flippers respond if set higher or lower as compared to what the factory settings were with the original flippers. I'd experiment a little with the position of the flippers to find what I call 'The Sweet Spot' for the static settings. Moving the flipper as little as 1/16" (as measured at the tips) can make a big difference.

Give that a try along with what others have suggested and I think you'll be good to go.
    John

#2924 23 days ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

The older shafts were drilled deeper and came with a longer pull screw. Is this your only set of precisions or have you owned multiple sets? I ask because this happened to me as I was simply throwing new precision shafts in with my older ones and had the same thing happen to me recently (one side pulled fine but the other needed the longer screw).

This is exactly my situation. John was great on the phone and i’ll play with the flipper position some more to dial it in. Great customer service !

#2925 22 days ago

I was about to order a set of Violet for Stern but they are gone. Have an ETA on when they'll be back in stock?

#2926 22 days ago

javagrind888 I hope to have them back in stock in about 4 weeks.

#2927 22 days ago

Finally found some time to install blue flippers on jaws.
    I love the blue with white rubber on this game

IMG_2792 (resized).jpgIMG_2792 (resized).jpgIMG_2793 (resized).jpgIMG_2793 (resized).jpgIMG_2794 (resized).jpgIMG_2794 (resized).jpgIMG_2795 (resized).jpgIMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    #2928 22 days ago

ASAC_Schrader Looks great, good choice on the white contrasting bands too. Nice Job!

I may have to change mine over from Gray to Blue & white

#2929 22 days ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

ASAC_Schrader Looks great, good choice on the white contrasting bands too. Nice Job!
    I may have to change mine over from Gray to Blue & white

I'm telling you .. the blue and white! I just couldn't keep up with white rubber on the flippers on the location games tho which is why I said white bats But I think it looks great.

#2930 22 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm telling you .. the blue and white! I just couldn't keep up with white rubber on the flippers on the location games tho which is why I said white bats But I think it looks great.

White superbands aren't too bad. I'm not sure why, but dirt just doesn't stick to them like other materials. I had this combo on my jaws on location for a bit. I'm not crazy about the way SBs play, but I've taken to putting them on my location games as they last forever and rarely need cleaned.

1 week later
    #2931 14 days ago

Installed the Precision bushings on Jurassic Park Premium. Placed one for the Jeep and three for the flippers.

Jeep

JeepJeep

Upper right flipper

URUR

Left and right flippers

LRLR

Power:

Definitely had to dial the flipper power down. Going 205 instead of 255 on upper right, 210 instead of 235 on right, and 220 instead of 255 on left.

Smoothness:

The Jeep definitely doesn’t wiggle at all like it used to. The rotations are very smooth. Prior to the Precision, it felt like the Jeep was moving in a way that would wear something the wrong way over time. It was very sloppy, but not anymore

Precision:

All flippers feel like they have more points on the bat that hit their different mark (it’s slightly overwhelming with the number of shots the game has, I’m not joking). Before Precision I wouldn’t be thinking about dialing the flippers in for other than main ramps and pathways, but now the dialing in seems to be done for you and you just need to figure out the bats as they are, which is lined up with the guide holes.

Conclusion:

I dragged my feet on ordering these, because they are expensive and I wasn’t sure if they’d be worth it, but I can honestly say I’ll be ordering them for my next game as they make the game more fun and it’s great dialing the power down, because the precision (ha) is there and you don’t need the speed to make things happen. It’s also great to be aiming more and worrying less about air balls or cracking something.

And no, dialing the power down without Precisions doesn’t work the same way, and only amplifies the slop.

TLDR:

Ordered these Precision bushings thinking I’d need to return them, but now will be getting more, haha.

Great product John, thank you!

And full disclosure, because it’s might convince some to try the bushings only, had some Halos, exchanged them; had standard Precision bats, returned them; but the bushings will stay and own seven of them now, with more coming in the near future John’s customer service is top notch, especially when dealing with a big hassle like me

#2932 14 days ago
    Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Installed the Precision bushings on Jurassic Park Premium. Placed one for the Jeep and three for the flippers.
    Jeep
    [quoted image]
    Upper right flipper
    [quoted image]
    Left and right flippers
    [quoted image]
    Power:
    Definitely had to dial the flipper power down. Going 205 instead of 255 on upper right, 210 instead of 235 on right, and 220 instead of 255 on left.
    Smoothness:
    The Jeep definitely doesn’t wiggle at all like it used to. The rotations are very smooth. Prior to the Precision, it felt like the Jeep was moving in a way that would wear something the wrong way over time. It was very sloppy, but not anymore
    Precision:
    All flippers feel like they have more points on the bat that hit their different mark (it’s slightly overwhelming with the number of shots the game has, I’m not joking). Before Precision I wouldn’t be thinking about dialing the flippers in for other than main ramps and pathways, but now the dialing in seems to be done for you and you just need to figure out the bats as they are, which is lined up with the guide holes.
    Conclusion:
    I dragged my feet on ordering these, because they are expensive and I wasn’t sure if they’d be worth it, but I can honestly say I’ll be ordering them for my next game as they make the game more fun and it’s great dialing the power down, because the precision (ha) is there and you don’t need the speed to make things happen. It’s also great to be aiming more and worrying less about air balls or cracking something.
    And no, dialing the power down without Precisions doesn’t work the same way, and only amplifies the slop.
    TLDR:
    Ordered these Precision bushings thinking I’d need to return them, but now will be getting more, haha.
    Great product John, thank you!
    And full disclosure, because it’s might convince some to try the bushings only, I had some Halos, returned them, standard Precision bats, returned them, but the bushings will stay and I own seven of them now, with more coming in the near future John’s customer service is top notch, especially when dealing with a big hassle like me

Would love a pic of your flippers on the playfield. And what angle you are playing at (pic of bubble level is fine) -

I just put halos in my JP but left the power alone as i can now actually consistently make the shots!

#2933 14 days ago

Blue halos and yellow superbands tonight!

IMG_1648 (resized).jpegIMG_1648 (resized).jpegIMG_1651 (resized).jpegIMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    #2934 14 days ago

Would love a pic of your flippers on the playfield. And what angle you are playing at (pic of bubble level is fine) -
    I just put halos in my JP but left the power alone as i can now actually consistently make the shots!

Heres my halos at 6.8 pitch

70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    #2935 13 days ago

MiniPinHead Despite how you described yourself, I enjoy working with you and all my customers with high expectations like yourself. It offers me the opportunity to open up new possibilities and hopefully improve how their games perform, and maybe even bring a smile at the end.

Thanks for posting and providing your feedback, much appreciated!
    John

#2936 13 days ago

@ kyinwa I'm liking that blue and yellow combo, nicely done

#2937 13 days ago

Advice needed.

In general, is there and what are the benefits of these on pins without EOS?

I’m considering adding precision flippers, bushings and clamps to my Alien RV. Would anyone share their experience with adding these to Aliens?

I’m a believer in Precision Flippers; have HALOs on all my other pins. However, the investment for a pin with for flippers is giving me pause.

Thanks!

#2938 13 days ago
    Quoted from Harvester:

Advice needed.
    I’m considering adding precision flippers, bushings and clamps to my Alien RV. Would anyone share their experience with adding these to Aliens?
    I’m a believer in Precision Flippers; have HALOs on all my other pins. However, the investment for a pin with for flippers is giving me pause.
    Thanks!

I’ve heard a wiser pinhead than myself say the flippers are where the player interacts with the game. Sounds obvious after you hear it, but it’s true and you might not think I about it much otherwise

Get it done

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

MiniPinHead Despite how you described yourself, I enjoy working with you and all my customers with high expectations like yourself. It offers me the opportunity to open up new possibilities and hopefully improve how their games perform, and maybe even bring a smile at the end.
    Thanks for posting and providing your feedback, much appreciated!
    John

Thank you so much John!

#2939 13 days ago

What’s great about this product is once installed, it feels like a brand new game all over again

#2940 13 days ago
    Quoted from Harvester:

Advice needed.
    Thanks!

Just do it. Advice given.

#2941 13 days ago
    Quoted from Harvester:

The principals of why the product helps is the same no matter how the power is controlled to the flipper (switch or timing). So I'd say 'its the same decision process...' for you. The part that should matter is if the flipper power is not adjustable on a game... there more tradeoffs must be considered. (like changing coils or running things 'fast', etc)

#2942 13 days ago

Who has halos on stranger things? Looking for suggestion on flipper powers. Thanks!

#2943 11 days ago

Still waiting on some Violet Halos to come in stock.

#2944 11 days ago
    Quoted from hcj13:

Who has halos on stranger things? Looking for suggestion on flipper powers. Thanks!

I run 222 on both flippers with precision purple halos, superbands & pitch set to 6.8

#2945 11 days ago

Some pics for anyone debating on the mini flipper size on maiden. The slightly longer 2.25 doesnt block any shot paths and we are having to relearn when to flip it but seems to loop better than the shorter 2”

IMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3126 (resized).jpegIMG_3126 (resized).jpegIMG_3127 (resized).jpegIMG_3127 (resized).jpegIMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3129 (resized).jpegIMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    #2946 7 days ago
    Quoted from kyinwa:

I run 222 on both flippers with precision purple halos, superbands & pitch set to 6.8

#2947 6 days ago

Has anyone installed these flipper bats on the hobbit? If so, did it improve the game?

#2948 6 days ago
    Quoted from Norcalpin:

Has anyone installed these flipper bats on the hobbit? If so, did it improve the game?

Yes and yes. My Hobbit improved markedly with the precision flips.

IMG_2062 (resized).JPGIMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    #2949 4 days ago

Why are there so few reviews of Precision flippers on Youtube? There are tons of reviews of less game changing mods.

#2950 4 days ago

JayLar Good question, I've wondered this myself from time to time. Maybe it just comes down to most folks not really being into posting videos on Youtube?

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.