Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,945 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by kyinwa
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0938 (resized).jpeg (©  Of my)

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 59.
    #1201 1 year ago

I had a quick look at my Rush earlier and see that I have a little damage on each of the tips. Using regular titan rubbers (not the thin ones)

#1202 1 year ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

I just ran downstairs and checked mine. No wear either but I'm using standard black rubbers.

Whew! Close one. Saved getting another tear tattoo...

Joel_Gahan (resized).jpgJoel_Gahan (resized).jpg
    #1203 1 year ago

GrandpaDave Thanks for the Kudos, I'm glad you like the product. I've stated this before, but when I started down this path my objective was to bring a high quality mod to the pinball community that actually improves the playing experience. Once a player has played long enough to develop their playing skills to the level of being able to make repeatable shots say 50 or 60 percetnage of the time, the 'Win' percentage of making repeated shots increases with this system installed.

I really believe this system enables a players 'Real Skills' to become self evident after playing with them. I think its also safe to say at this stage that they improve some aspects of the games which just can't be achieved and or maintained with the factory flipper set-up.

#1204 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

You know, I could see Joel getting a Halographic flipper silhouette as a tattoo!

Shaped like a teardrop… coincidence?!

#1205 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

GrandpaDave Thanks for the Kudos, I'm glad you like the product. I've stated this before, but when I started down this path my objective was to bring a high quality mod to the pinball community that actually improves the playing expereince. Once a player has played long enough to develop their playing skills to the level of being able to make repeatable shots say 50 or 60 percetnage of the time, the 'Win' percentage of making repeated shots increases with this system installed.
    I really believe this system enables a players 'Real Skills' to become self evident after playing with them. I think its also safe to say at this stage that they improve some aspects of the games which just can't be achieved and or maintained with the factory flipper set-up.

Agreed.

I play like a rock star lately.

DrunkAndAngryPunkin

#1206 1 year ago

I put the precision flippers on my GZ PRO- I do love them- Did anyone have to turn down the flipper power on theirs? I am getting a few airballs here and there mainly off the magna grab and the stand ups in front of the building- I guess I could mess around with the flipper power- just curious to see if anyone else dialed back there flipper power after the install-

#1207 1 year ago
    Quoted from ktcoady12:

I am getting a few airballs here and there mainly off the magna grab and the stand ups in front of the building- I guess I could mess around with the flipper power- just curious to see if anyone else dialed back there flipper power after the install-

That could be related to the height of the bushing raising the flipper slightly too high off the PF. Sounds like that may be adjusted down so they're a more standard height.

#1208 1 year ago
    Quoted from ktcoady12:

I put the precision flippers on my GZ PRO- I do love them- Did anyone have to turn down the flipper power on theirs? I am getting a few airballs here and there mainly off the magna grab and the stand ups in front of the building- I guess I could mess around with the flipper power- just curious to see if anyone else dialed back there flipper power after the install-

Yeah, usually worth downing the power a tad. They definitely increase power out of the gate, depending on the game you'll wanna play around with it. Dropped it a little on my GZ, traveling or I'd check settings for you.

#1209 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That could be related to the height of the bushing raising the flipper slightly too high off the PF. Sounds like that may be adjusted down so they're a more standard height.

Could also be related to the increased power transfer everyone seems to be reporting…

#1210 1 year ago

Several folks commented that the pics I posted earlier looked like the flippers we're too high - they are not. Guessing you haven't tried the halos - for some reason they really do look that way, first thing I noticed when putting them on. Some sorta optical illusion, lol.

Props 1956PINHEAD for not only developing a killer app, so to speak, but being on top of issues like this. The bushings haven't even been available that long, and we've already got two iterations of flippers, refinements to those, and improved clamps on the way. Impressed as a customer and hobbyist, but mad respect as a small biz owner myself.

#1211 1 year ago

Thank you guys- I will play around with the Flipper power settings tonight and and check the height of the flippers - maybe need to adjust the bushings? But I do love these things - I am an average player at best- and now crack a billion here and there on my GZ- and got to 1.6 Billion the other night- I guess its kind of a cheat code- but I don't really care- I play at home with family and friends-

#1212 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Could also be related to the increased power transfer everyone seems to be reporting…

That's easy to deduce. Just turn down the flipper power and see if it goes away...

#1213 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The ball should never hit that part of the bat. Something needs redone with the bushings to lower those flippers. They are too high off the playfield.
    Actually checking mine on Zilla they are that high off the playfield too. I don’t know how the ball is contacting the metal when the flipper rubber is on it.

I think the part that makes it look that way is the bat itself is not as tall as the base that hits the bushings. The bat itself actually is higher, there's just less dead plastic under the rubber like a basic bitch plastic flipper (which is what we'll be calling them from now on). Thought the same thing when I first installed the halos - how the heck did I lock the damn flipper that high

#1214 1 year ago
    Quoted from ktcoady12:

Thank you guys- I will play around with the Flipper power settings tonight and and check the height of the flippers - maybe need to adjust the bushings? But I do love these things - I am an average player at best- and now crack a billion here and there on my GZ- and got to 1.6 Billion the other night- I guess its kind of a cheat code- but I don't really care- I play at home with family and friends-

It's not a cheat code; it's eliminating the UNINTENDED variables in each flip that introduce randomness and negate some skill. At worst, it's "non-traditional." Still better, still what anyone designing a pin really wants to happen to my mind. Just be prepared to suck a little more when you play out now

#1215 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Several folks commented that the pics I posted earlier looked like the flippers we're too high - they are not. Guessing you haven't tried the halos - for some reason they really do look that way, first thing I noticed when putting them on. Some sorta optical illusion, lol.
    Props 1956PINHEAD for not only developing a killer app, so to speak, but being on top of issues like this. The bushings haven't even been available that long, and we've already got two iterations of flippers, refinements to those, and improved clamps on the way. Impressed as a customer and hobbyist, but mad respect as a small biz owner myself.

Anyone who thinks Pinside is constantly negative can read this thread. Amazing product, amazing seller, amazing Pinsider.

#1216 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

I'm surprised Joel let you take that picture, how long ago was that?

#1217 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

I'm surprised Joel let you take that picture, how long ago was that?

Joel made the mistake of giving it to Zach, who posted it, and I embellished it from there...

#1218 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Joel made the mistake of giving it to Zach, who posted it, and I embellished it from there...

What can I say, I'm Lol

#1219 1 year ago

I posted that on Facebook over TEN years ago when I got that tattoo. ZMeny found it and posted it. PinMonk put his twist on it.

#1220 1 year ago

What does the tattoo on your right shoulder say?

#1221 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What does the tattoo on your right shoulder say?

It means Baka Gaijin. (Stupid/Idiot Outsider/Foreigner)

None of the tattoos in the Joel Gahan version I posted are real (well, to my knowledge, maybe he added some to match...).

#1222 1 year ago

What are your strength settings on GZ? I'm having a hard time adjusting the flipper bat to manage the scoop shot. Part of it is angle of the bat, other seems to be the strength, I get rejects

#1223 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Actually rather concerning to me, and unfortunate...not as worried about the wear on the bats (you'll only notice if you pull the rubber), but wear on the ball and thus the playfield is concerning. This has happened pretty quick with the Rick and Morty, hard to say on the Zilla.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Wondering if I should remove my low bounce rubbers and go back to thicker standards to attempt to avoid this result?!

#1224 1 year ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

Wondering if I should remove my low bounce rubbers and go back to thicker standards to attempt to avoid this result?!

Put two sets of low bounce on and see what happens?

#1225 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Put two sets of low bounce on and see what happens?

If you're doing that, might as well stick some clear vinyl covers over the flippers, too.

#1226 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you're doing that, might as well stick some clear vinyl covers over the flippers, too.

Duct tape....

#1227 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You could add a washer between the bushing and the flipper mech to bring the bushing down some.

#1228 1 year ago

Well I didn't want to like this mod but I do. Only reason I didn't want to like it is I didn't want to spend thousands to put them on all my pins.

I have a buddy that has them on half his pins and kept raving about them. Went down there and tried them and I was impressed. I knew they would good due to his AIQ disc mod.

They are absolutely beautiful in person. After about 10 or so games on them two things came to mind shots are more precise (hense name of the mod) and this is weird but you feel more one with the game. It's truly as if the flippers are an extension of your body.( Hahaha I know I know)

So I ended up ordering a gold set for my Rush LE and I'm sure I'll be ordering more. This mod might not be for everyone and it doesn't have to be.

Those that say it's cheating.... And who cares it's your pin do what you want. I play in tournaments all the time and what gets old is playing some of those games and flippers barely work or switches don't register etc.

It's pinball it's fun! So play and enjoy!!!

#1229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nstone4425:

So I ended up ordering a gold set for my Rush LE and I'm sure I'll be ordering more.

Welcome to the club! Gold looks AMAZING on Rush LE, especially with the antiqued brass screw kit. Either solid or Halo.
    1D8535EE-0971-463C-9F56-41C1F81F72AD (resized).jpeg1D8535EE-0971-463C-9F56-41C1F81F72AD (resized).jpeg

#1230 1 year ago

Sunday afternoon update for everyone. I tweaked my machining program and cut a pair of flipper bats yesterday, HALO version, as they would be most vulnerable to failure. I modified the lower lip/flange so that it blends into the tip of the flipper bat. I also removed the flange tapper from large end to the tip, its now .030 constant. No structural issues during play testing. This configuration will become standard and phased in over the next production run on all versions.

I also double checked flipper height at both the upper and lower lip/flange region on my existing flipper bats compared to the factory bats (Stern). My flipper bats are actually slightly lower (.032) than factory, the difference being of course the shape of the factory plastic bats at the rubber interface. I also verified my busings did not exceed OEM factory heights, they all checked out good.

So with the updated machining program to skinny down the lip those that are using thinner or softer rubber should be good to go.

I also want to take a moment to say 'THANK YOU' to everyone who offered up ideas and suggestions the past few days on this topic. From day one my objective was to keep evolving and making this mod better. Now five months in I think 'WE' are closing in on it

John
    Lwr Lip Update (resized).jpgLwr Lip Update (resized).jpg

flipper height 1 (resized).jpgflipper height 1 (resized).jpgflipper height 2 (resized).jpgflipper height 2 (resized).jpg
    #1231 1 year ago

Welcome to the club! Gold looks AMAZING on Rush LE, especially with the antiqued brass screw kit. Either solid or Halo.

Ugh I've been eyeing that brass screw kit and want it more!!!

Those flippers look amazing!!! Very excited!

#1232 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Sunday afternoon update for everyone. I tweaked my machining program and cut a pair of flipper bats yesterday, HALO version, as they would be most vulnerable to failure. I modified the lower lip/flange so that it blends into the tip of the flipper bat. I also removed the flange tapper from large end to the tip, its now .030 constant. No structural issues during play testing. This configuration will become standard and phased in over the next production run on all versions.
    I also double checked flipper height at both the upper and lower lip/flange region on my existing flipper bats compared to the factory bats (Stern). My flipper bats are actually slightly lower (.032) than factory, the difference being of course the shape of the factory plastic bats at the rubber interface. I also verified my busings did not exceed OEM factory heights, they all checked out good.
    So with the updated machining program to skinny down the lip those that are using thinner or softer rubber should be good to go.
    I also want to take a moment to say 'THANK YOU' to everyone who offered up ideas and suggestions the past few days on this topic. From day one my objective was to keep evolving and making this mod better. Now five months in I think 'WE' are closing in on it
    John
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow this product has evolved VERY fast!

#1233 1 year ago

Engineers. What can you say?

#1234 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Engineers. What can you say?

This one really cares about his product and his customers.

LTG : )

#1235 1 year ago

No doubt you can say that i spose.

#1236 1 year ago

Nstone4425 Thanks for the Kudos on my mod. I checked USPS tracking, your kit should arrive Monday!

Keep us posted after install and game play.

Thanks,
    John

#1237 1 year ago

From looking at those two pictures you posted, I see an issue that concerns me a bit...

The overall height of the precision flipper seems wrong. Not only does it "float" above the playfield too high (compared to the plastic flipper), it also isn't as tall as the plastic flipper (even though it sits higher).

I would expect more balls hopping over the precision flipper, especially since the precision flipper has more power, and therefore would theoretically have more "post" shots (which tend to be the ones that hop the flippers) coming back at a higher speed.

Is the overall lower height of the precision flipper to save weight (or cost)?

#1238 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

John
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice man. I'd imagine that'll do the trick. What was that, like 3 days from my post to solution? Props.

#1239 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

From looking at those two pictures you posted, I see an issue that concerns me a bit...
    The overall height of the precision flipper seems wrong. Not only does it "float" above the playfield too high (compared to the plastic flipper), it also isn't as tall as the plastic flipper (even though it sits higher).
    I would expect more balls hopping over the precision flipper, especially since the precision flipper has more power, and therefore would theoretically have more "post" shots (which tend to be the ones that hop the flippers) coming back at a higher speed.

Have not had that happen once on the 2 sets I have. Gz, rush, and just swapped from rush to metallica to try

#1240 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Look at the far right off the metal flipper picture. The bat itself slopes down where it mounts to the shaft. Also the rubbers themselves are in the same spot. I have yet to experience any flipper hop.

#1241 1 year ago

I’ve had zero balls jump over the flippers too.

#1242 1 year ago

mbeardsley Thanks for your comments. My flippers are .030 (about 3/32") lower than the OEM plastic, not sure 3/32" of an inch will make any real difference in preventing a ball from hopping over a flipper as compared to the plastic flipper.

The lower 'scalloped' area of the flipper makes it appear to 'float' way above the playfield, but it doesn't, its an optical illusion. I'll admit after looking at those plastic flippers for so many years my flippers appear to be 'very radically different', which in fact they are in some areas. I've tried to optimize the flipper shape to save weight, to improve the aesthetics (my opinion), which actually adds cost to the product due to machine run time.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions/concerens.

Thank you!

#1243 1 year ago

Ollulanus I'm sending you a pair of the update profile flippers tomorrow (silver testors) for you to install and play. Should only take you about five minutes to swap them out. Please strap on those same rubbers and report back. I didn't have a set of those rubbers when I play tested. Primary reason for my play testing was to check off the box to make certain there was no deformation or failures of any type. Use a black sharpy to color up the lower tip to confirm no ball contact.

Watch for them in the mail!

John

#1244 1 year ago

Other than mod of the year, they should give a customer service twippy to you as well. Waiting for bond and cactus to arrive before I order again.

#1245 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

The lower 'scalloped' area of the flipper makes it appear to 'float' way above the playfield, but it doesn't, its an optical illusion. I'll admit after looking at those plastic flippers for so many years my flippers appear to be 'very radically different', which in fact they are in some areas. I've tried to optimize the flipper shape to save weight, to improve the aesthetics (my opinion), which actually adds cost to the product due to machine run time.

But from the two pictures you posted, it shows the bottom of the "normal" flipper being 4/32" above the playfield, and it shows the precision flipper being 9/32" above the playfield. I don't see how that can be an optical illusion unless your ruler is deformed.

And again from your pictures the total height of the precision flipper seems to be 11/16", but the height of the plastic flipper is 15/16".

I'm glad that people are not reporting extra ball hops as of yet, but I find it hard to believe that a missing 1/4" won't make a difference. Compared to the engineering tolerances that you are trying to improve upon, a quarter inch is a lot.

#1246 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

But from the two pictures you posted, it shows the bottom of the "normal" flipper being 4/32" above the playfield, and it shows the precision flipper being 9/32" above the playfield. I don't see how that can be an optical illusion unless your ruler is deformed.

Look at the height of the rubber above the PF. That's the critical measurement. It's the same.

Hundreds of hours of playtesting these myself and accumulated 10,000s of hours of play in nearly 5 months in the community. I've never had flipper hop, not once on about a dozen games I've playtested these on. Nor has this ever been reported as an issue. FYI.

#1247 1 year ago

Hopefully someone is compiling all these observations/concerns into a FAQ list so John can get back into his shop where he can continue producing to satisfy all our needs!
    Awaiting the release of the link-arm clamping block so that I can finish installing my remaining sets of Halos.

#1248 1 year ago

mbeardsley Sorry if I was a bit confusing in my first response. Let me restate it this way, in reality the sole purpose of a flipper bat is to provide a surface for the rubber to mount, everything else above and below the rubber doesn't really serve any purpose, at least in my design because the flipper is robust and does not flex. The plastic is sized the way it is because it needs all that extra material for internal webbing to help stiffen it up, even then it still flex's. Looking at it this way the differences between the two flipper bats in terms of ball contact area (bottom of the rubber to the top of the rubber) is minor.

I hope this better addresses your concerns.
    Thanks.

#1249 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

And again from your pictures the total height of the precision flipper seems to be 11/16", but the height of the plastic flipper is 15/16".
    I'm glad that people are not reporting extra ball hops as of yet, but I find it hard to believe that a missing 1/4" won't make a difference. Compared to the engineering tolerances that you are trying to improve upon, a quarter inch is a lot.

What difference do you think it makes not having the bit of plastic hanging off the bottom of the flipper close to the playfield mate?

Honestly, it's like you are not even thinking of what you are saying. The only part that matters in your equation is the bit the ball hits, the rubber. The bottom of the rubber is the same distance from the playfield, the top is the same distance from the playfield, and (even counting the optical illusion which you can see and has been mentioned) the top of the bat is between .5 and 1mm lower.

Big poo poo whoop.

Flipper hop is a house ball. It happens rarely and everyone agrees when it does it's bad luck.

Weewee you mustn't own a Tron, it will throw the ball from the spinning disc over the flippers and down the drain without even touching the sides. Flipper is not in the equation.

#1250 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Ollulanus I'm sending you a pair of the update profile flippers tomorrow (silver testors) for you to install and play. Should only take you about five minutes to swap them out. Please strap on those same rubbers and report back. I didn't have a set of those rubbers when I play tested. Primary reason for my play testing was to check off the box to make certain there was no deformation or failures of any type. Use a black sharpy to color up the lower tip to confirm no ball contact.
    Watch for them in the mail!
    John

Good call on the sharpie, will do. I will say one other thing I've noted is the GITD titans definitely seem to wear faster than others too; guessing there must be enough dif in the formula there to change their phys properties. Though, there was at least one guy further up who said he noted some tip wear with regular style titans, so probably not relevant here.

Will let you know how they're doing after a week or so. Props again!

There are 2,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.