(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 47.
#2301 3 years ago

Jeff...thanks. I was trying to find that...awesome

Rob...I will totally follow along

Met pro has been awesome and with Total light show and other small add-ons...particularly upgraded speakers, is an awesome pin. Fast, challenging but completely can accomplish goals. Add the music and is one of my favorites and I have had a number of pins. Probably my favorite Stern

Does any one know if the board is still worth the install if code upgraded?

#2302 3 years ago

Ashamedly I guess I added more mods than I remembered. Powder coated legs and lockdown bar, led speaker lights, mirror blades, (can’t remember the name but some lightning lights, ride the lightning), etc. I think someday I want to paint my sparky and maybe add topper

AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpegAE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpegEC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpegEC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I feel less weird about mentioning it here now since the TLS solution has been abandoned and it looks like TimeBandit is no longer on Pinside.

wait what? damn.

*checks*

USER ACCOUNT STATUS: DEACTIVATED
This Pinside account is set to deactivated.

#2304 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Does any one know if the board is still worth the install if code upgraded?

It's not. I uninstalled mine and went back to tying my spinners to the picks. Sounds good but definitely sounded better with the sound caller(when it worked).

3 weeks later
2 weeks later
#2306 2 years ago

Anyone here about how far along the walking dead kits are

#2307 2 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Anyone here about how far along the walking dead kits are

Timebandit has deactivated his account so would not hold my breath ….

#2308 2 years ago

Damn I guess pinstaduim then

#2309 2 years ago

Yeah get pinstadiums and enjoy Back when I still had walking dead I waited for the kit for years. It never materialized.

1 week later
#2310 2 years ago

I have a Met pro with this kit already installed. Was wondering if someone who has fitted this has a copy of the instructions..

Thanks

#2311 2 years ago

Here is the page from Mike's old website(which has valid YouTube links)...
https://web.archive.org/web/20210225051242/https://redshiftled.com.au/general-installation-guide.php

Quoted from Kenz:

I have a Met pro with this kit already installed. Was wondering if someone who has fitted this has a copy of the instructions..
Thanks

1 week later
#2312 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Thanks

Mikes videos are here if you need help with the instructions. There were no real written instructions.
https://youtube.com/user/mikeutubehull

3 weeks later
#2313 2 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Mikes videos are here if you need help with the instructions. There were no real written instructions.
https://youtube.com/user/mikeutubehull

Did he have one for the Tron kit installation? I have a Tron TLS kit I bi3ught from him a few years ago I didn't install but want to now. His site is down and could use access to the instructions.

Why did he take his site down too?

1 month later
#2314 2 years ago

Where is Timebandit ?, i really want that total lightshow kit for my Tron

#2315 2 years ago
Quoted from adamper:

Where is Timebandit ?, i really want that total lightshow kit for my Tron

You'll have to hunt around for a second hand one (if you can find one).

#2316 2 years ago

Is everything okay with timebandit? This guy was amazing. Helped me recently with my Metallica and made custom software to fix a glitch my light show had. Love this lightshow. It is so so good.

#2317 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Is everything okay with timebandit?

He seemed pretty frustrated with things just before he quit posting here.
Hopefully he just needs some time. He was making very cool things and was good to deal with.

#2318 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

You'll have to hunt around for a second hand one (if you can find one).

I was thinking of that, but who wants to sell the best ramp light mod on the market, as it seems to be ?!
Hopefully timebandit will come back from the upside down world....

#2319 2 years ago

I'm actually worried about the guy. I sent him an email and havent heard back. He was amazing. I sure hope all is well.

#2320 2 years ago

I just saw the star trek lighting. It's awesome and exactly what I wanted for my pro. Blue lasers going up when hitting the vengeance and red down on vengeance attacks. Bummed that this project is toast.

Maybe he will come back one day?

#2321 2 years ago

He is a huge asset to the community, I sure hope he comes back. Everybody loves him!

#2322 2 years ago

I wonder if he wasn't having fun anymore and just threw in the towel? That's what happened to me on the buying/selling side of things. Prices are just so dumb right now I'm focusing mostly on modding the games I have.

Perhaps he passed the torch to somebody else to continue his product?

#2323 2 years ago

Pretty sure his professional life took off so he probably just lost the free time/will to work on hobby projects.

As others have said, I just hope he's OK. He was a great guy the few times I needed to interact with him.

#2324 2 years ago

Having gone through the thread a few months ago when looking for a light ramp mod for my newly bought Tron, the guy seems to have amazing energy and drive, and looked like a good bloke to boot. It looked like maybe things got a bit too frustrating, all too common when you demand perfection of yourself as he seemed to. And it also looked like he was getting peppered with a fair few requests/demands by the community.

As others have said, hope he's doing ok. Would love to chat to him one day.

1 week later
#2325 2 years ago

Hi Guys. Sorry about the door slam. Total Lightshow is dead. I have 100 dead boards and no one can tell me what’s up.

Yes I was very frustrated. Five years of my life into what I thought was one of the coolest mods ever, only to have some mystery gremlin take me out. Not how I thought it would end.

I turned my back on the hobby just to get over it. I’m over it now. I’m doing a high end restore of my Tommy finally, and putting in my Ron kruzman NOS playfield.

Thanks for everyone’s support for the Tron and Metallica kits. It was fun while it lasted. And thanks for saying nice things about me. I feel bad now that I just bailed out.

#2326 2 years ago

So I take it that the Atmel MCU still does not work, regardless of everything you've done, and Atmel did not help you figure it out ? Not nice of them if this is the case.

Or else they have a bad batch and don't want to admit it. Or a timing change.

In any case, thanks for coming back and bring the news to us. I feel for you, the cost of building these 100 boards without any return is a hard blow.

I know you're completely done with it, but... if I may ask... it would be a shame for all the work you have done to go to waste, what about providing the info on a repository somewhere, and someday someone will pick it up and either try to figure it out, or build an alternate version using a similar scheme ? We keep reinventing stuff that were available (like Eli's mod for ex). Won't use Atmel for sure...

Regards

#2327 2 years ago

Yeah, that'd definitely be frustrating. No need to feel bad IMO. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Have fun!

#2328 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hi Guys. Sorry about the door slam. Total Lightshow is dead. I have 100 dead boards and no one can tell me what’s up.
Yes I was very frustrated. Five years of my life into what I thought was one of the coolest mods ever, only to have some mystery gremlin take me out. Not how I thought it would end.
I turned my back on the hobby just to get over it. I’m over it now. I’m doing a high end restore of my Tommy finally, and putting in my Ron kruzman NOS playfield.
Thanks for everyone’s support for the Tron and Metallica kits. It was fun while it lasted. And thanks for saying nice things about me. I feel bad now that I just bailed out.

Man, I'm just thrilled you're alive and well. 100 dead boards? What happened!?

#2329 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man, I'm just thrilled you're alive and well. 100 dead boards? What happened!?

Details on the previous page, things got bad before this post but went really sideways with them starting here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/46#post-6177676

#2330 2 years ago

Ah welcome back dude, glad to hear you're alive and well. If raging about the boards.

#2331 2 years ago

Glad you are alive and well!

1 week later
#2332 2 years ago

Sorry to hear mate. Totally understandable, bloody frustrating thing to happen.
Glad you are doing some work for yourself on the Tommy. Hopefully one day you can get back to making more cool mods. Love my TLS and I really appreciate all the work you put into it and also helping with the code on the rising cross mod.

4 weeks later
#2333 2 years ago

Installation guides are going here as permanent archive.

Do not install this product unless you are experienced in carrying out similar work and are electrically qualified.

ALWAYS turn OFF your pinball machine at the wall and unplug the power lead before opening the cabinet.

Ensure installation is complete BEFORE powering up your pinball machine.

Some level of experience and common sense are required for this install. Factory cable ties will be snipped and removed. DO NOT DAMAGE THE CABLES WHEN SNIPPING CABLE TIES.

For anyone with experience in actively maintaining pinball machines, the Total Lightshow components are a very straightforward install.

If you are at all unsure about what to do after careful consideration of the instructions please have your pinball tech carry out the installation for you. It will not take them very long.

!AVOID SHORT CIRCUITS!

If the connections to the Matrix Interceptor are shorted, and the power is on, you WILL damage the board. It is particularly important that the socket string cables are not shorted while the main board is powered up. Fortunately, this is very easy to avoid. DO NOT power up your game until the installation is complete. If all cables are installed correctly, and power is applied only after installation is complete, then the chances of a short circuit occurring are very, very close to zero.

Parts

Here are pictures of the parts and their names for clarity.

Matrix Interceptor..
image3 (2) (resized).jpgimage3 (2) (resized).jpg

GI Interceptor..
GIInterceptor (resized).jpgGIInterceptor (resized).jpg

Matrix Terminator..
IMG_2745 (resized).jpgIMG_2745 (resized).jpg

Please take extra care with this next cable!
(METALLICA AND AC/DC ONLY)

The black 5-way cable that connects the GI Interceptor back to the Matrix Interceptor MUST be installed the right way around. The connectors have polarizing feet so please DO NOT force the connector into place if it is not going on easily. You may have it the wrong way around and be finding it difficult due to the polarizing design of the headers and connectors.

Ensure that the connectors look like the photos below.

This is at the GI Interceptor.. (Tron is similar at this end of the cable)
GIConnect1 (resized).jpgGIConnect1 (resized).jpg

And this is at the Matrix Interceptor main board.. (Metallica and AC/DC only..Tron GI Interceptor cables go into the green terminal block..see the Tron section below)

IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpgIMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg

Video: Matrix Interceptor guides
(APPLICABLE FOR METALLICA, AC/DC, TRON)
Below are guides for installing Matrix Interceptor, GI Interceptor, Matrix Terminator, Cables.

#2334 2 years ago

Guides continue..

Socket installation guides
(APPLICABLE FOR METALLICA, AC/DC)
PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME SOCKETS ARE INSTALLED USING A LONGER SCREW AND NYLON SPACER
Sockets that are installed adjacent to the slingshot mechanism arms are installed with a longer screw and nylon spacer (both included in your kit) in order to ensure proper clearance of the bulb from the movement of the arm.

IMG_2885 (resized).jpgIMG_2885 (resized).jpg

- Install one colour string of bulbs at a time.
- Use the maps below to locate the positions of the sockets to be removed and of those to be added.
- Place a bulb in each socket before you screw the socket into the playfield.
- Once all the new sockets for a colour are screwed in place, take the first of the pair of cables of that colour and join each connector to one of the tabs on each socket. It does not matter which tab on the socket you choose. Be careful, the tabs will bend if you apply pressure out of alignment. Press the connector home until it clicks in place. The connection is quite firm.
- Take the second cable of the same colour and repeat the above connection step. Make sure the cables end at the same socket.
- Now repeat the socket installation steps for each of the remaining two colours.

ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpgACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg

MetProGIDrop (resized).jpgMetProGIDrop (resized).jpg

MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpgMetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg

ACDC socket string connection configuration..
ACDCCable (resized).jpgACDCCable (resized).jpg

Metallica socket string connection configuration..
MetCable (resized).jpgMetCable (resized).jpg

#2335 2 years ago

This was an extremely fun mod to install that was very well documented, it makes a HUGE difference in the lighting mood of the game.

#2336 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Thanks for posting the install stuff for posterity.

I sent you a PM to see if there was a way to potentially pick up where you left off, or take a crack at root causing your technical road block.

#2337 2 years ago

I bought a Tron last year and was told it had the other kit fitted from the US, anyway I got it home looked in the backbox and there was a big red board in there!!! Couldn’t believe my luck

#2338 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Thanks for posting the install stuff for posterity.
I sent you a PM to see if there was a way to potentially pick up where you left off, or take a crack at root causing your technical road block.

I'd be curious as well

I work in the electronic industry, and would do my best to help and provide guidance to a customer should they encounter such an issue in the field. Can't understand why neither Marvell nor the board manufacturer took their responsibility and engaged to actively resolve. I mean, there "are" functional boards out there, so it has to be either a manufacturing defect, or a borderline signal which is causing the failure on some boards, in either case the suppliers should have helped. I'm quite baffled here.

#2339 2 years ago

Thank you Timebandit for your help. I really appreciate it.

I have the Total light show installed on a Refinery Edition Metallica Pro. Its it amazing how great it looks. It interacts with Spinners that were never part of the a Metallica Pro. The Metallica is listed in the Market.

1 week later
#2340 2 years ago

Mike (Timebandit). Hope all is alive and well. We are all hopeful for the return of the total light show boards. Please don't give up. The community needs you. +1 as to my needs for a Tron total light show kit. Hopefully they keep coming.

#2341 2 years ago

I've got a Metallica kit that I never got around to installing. If someone is interested, PM me...

Jaz

#2342 2 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

I've got a Metallica kit that I never got around to installing. If someone is interested, PM me...
Jaz

FYI, had a lot of interest and this is currently spoken for...
Jaz

2 weeks later
#2343 2 years ago

Is the latest code (and revisions) for the Met. kit archived on the web (or in this thread) somewhere? I'm certain I'm missing the last release.

#2344 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Is the latest code (and revisions) for the Met. kit archived on the web (or in this thread) somewhere? I'm certain I'm missing the last release.

Looks like archive.org still has most of his site saved including the downloads:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210225043808/https://redshiftled.com.au/Downloads.php

#2345 2 years ago

Great, it also has the upgrade procedures on there. I printed that out just in case...

#2346 2 years ago

I have a 2015 total lightshow i installed. I was told it was before the led was added to the orogram installed it. It did work but my lower right GI would not come on for anything. I traced it back to the GI interceptor ,so long story shirt got aggraveted and uninstalled it. IF anyone wants to buy it and try it out on theres PM me

#2347 2 years ago

And i bought it from a guy who bought it in 2015 was never opened till i just installed it last weekend

9 months later
#2348 1 year ago

Anyone that have an extra Tron lightshow lying and are willing to sell it, please PM me
Cheers

1 month later
#2349 1 year ago

Hello Mike,
Your mod is amazing. I like it a lot more than the ELI kit I have seen videos of.

I sent you a private message, hoping it gets to you!

Thank you
Juan

11 months later
#2350 6 months ago

Mike TimeBandit is wanting input on the long term reliability of his Total Lightshow on another thread, if some of you could weigh in. I’ve wanted his Tron lightshow for years, and also admired his custom drop targets. However, he will only consider doing this depending on the reliability.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-lightshow-long-term-reliability-check-in-please-comment

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.50
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/47?hl=soulrider911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.