(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktm450.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2050 5 years ago

WOW that looks awesome Mike, makes me want to buy an Ironman

Quoted from TimeBandit:

I may even revisit Metallica in a full GI replacement RGB version. Maybe.

If you re do Metallica count me in, that’s two people now so it’s a goer

2 weeks later
#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Can anyone remind me what the DIP settings are on Total Light show board in a MET Pro please?
I'm currently
OFF / 0
OFF / 0

Yes that is the ‘factory’ setting for best lightshow and changing spinner sounds

#2081 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sound caller issue is a bit bigger than just position changes. Access through the rs232 has changed.

Hopefully it’s not too hard to work out mate.

7 months later
#2120 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Received this kit and it is not quite as complete as I would have hoped. There are quite a few pieces not included to make this work and those don't look to be sold separately. My plan is to 3D print the missing parts.
The Kit:
[quoted image]
For fun, mine came missing one of the nylon guide blocks. Marco shipped me a replacement. Also it isn't clear to me why there are 4 diodes
What's missing; Parts 3,4,5 from the first diagram, 1,3 from the second and 4,5,6 from the third.

Been awhile but I purchased this rising cross kit off RobF and have finally finished making all the missing pieces. I started by machining up the cam that pushes the switches.

I then machined up the pin with the circlip groove for the sliding piece out of stainless steel, I also made the angle slides with the intention of welding to the existing pro cross assembly. After getting all the pieces together I found out the pro assembly is just plated steel. So I figured I would just make a whole new slide assembly from Stainless steel. I used stainless angle sections which I TIG welded down the middle as I would not have the room to fold back on itself as the originals are made in a press.

Then a connecting arm and all finished.

Just need to find out from Mike the best way to connect to the Total Lightshow and it will be good to go!

02BEE389-FCAF-4021-B6F3-8BEF9BBD8CF7 (resized).jpeg02BEE389-FCAF-4021-B6F3-8BEF9BBD8CF7 (resized).jpeg222819DE-74FF-4559-BD42-BEF0DB9BEE49 (resized).jpeg222819DE-74FF-4559-BD42-BEF0DB9BEE49 (resized).jpegC0D3CF9C-BC50-40D9-AE28-412D9ED468B2 (resized).jpegC0D3CF9C-BC50-40D9-AE28-412D9ED468B2 (resized).jpeg67E0BADA-BD5B-4B33-BF0D-DB4C69FB42BA (resized).jpeg67E0BADA-BD5B-4B33-BF0D-DB4C69FB42BA (resized).jpegD55EB787-269B-4620-AA7C-0983EF0B84FD (resized).jpegD55EB787-269B-4620-AA7C-0983EF0B84FD (resized).jpeg1ACEDFA5-DDF6-486F-AF37-92A3791AABEF (resized).jpeg1ACEDFA5-DDF6-486F-AF37-92A3791AABEF (resized).jpegFF4E277A-E8BA-40E9-BA88-28324BD4C1DF (resized).jpegFF4E277A-E8BA-40E9-BA88-28324BD4C1DF (resized).jpegE8912B13-1DAC-4978-A73F-764EBEE35317 (resized).jpegE8912B13-1DAC-4978-A73F-764EBEE35317 (resized).jpeg
#2123 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Amazing job!
I have been so deep offline I missed this. I will get info to you.

All good mate, didn’t want to annoy you too much but keen as to get it up and running!!

1 month later
#2137 4 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Been awhile but I purchased this rising cross kit off RobF and have finally finished making all the missing pieces. I started by machining up the cam that pushes the switches.
I then machined up the pin with the circlip groove for the sliding piece out of stainless steel, I also made the angle slides with the intention of welding to the existing pro cross assembly. After getting all the pieces together I found out the pro assembly is just plated steel. So I figured I would just make a whole new slide assembly from Stainless steel. I used stainless angle sections which I TIG welded down the middle as I would not have the room to fold back on itself as the originals are made in a press.
Then a connecting arm and all finished.
Just need to find out from Mike the best way to connect to the Total Lightshow and it will be good to go![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Finally got the rising cross mod working on my Pro!
Huge shout out to Rick (PoMC) for some detailed photos of the wiring. Helped me out a lot. Thanks very much mate.
I printed a small master of puppets image from the LE cabinet art to go behind and stop the annoying blinding flashers.

9 months later
#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I have the Total Light Show installed in my Metallica. It will sometimes stay dark longer than it should, GI will turn back on after I bat the ball around for awhile (if I can see it!). Not sure if it's a certain switch that reactivates the GI. Latest code installed. Any ideas?

I’ve had that one as well. The other little one is the rising cross mod sometimes rises when it shouldn’t. Would be great to get a line of code written in to tell the game to ensure the cross is in the down position at the start of each new ball.

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have also just added a fix for the errant cross-raising. Again, let me know if it plays up again.

Mike, you are a legend. Thanks for getting on to this so quickly. It was something that was slightly annoying which I could live with, but I am stoked you have had the time to resolve!

#2198 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Are there instructions for installing the raising cross mechanism? It looks like the physical installation isn't too bad but I'm not seeing anything about the wiring? (I tried searching this thread and didn't come up with anything.)
Yeah the $300 is a lot but I can't see ever getting rid of this game so I can justify it. LOL.

Basically you just connect it via the switch matrix for the premium, tapping into the correct colour wires at connectors or using insulation displacement connectors. The motor taps into 20v at the pin where the premium does in the back box. Then switch the negative wire through a solid state relay such as an SSR-25DD (heaps on eBay) the relay is switched from the outputs on the total light show board.

#2203 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have also just added a fix for the errant cross-raising. Again, let me know if it plays up again.

Can confirm this has definitely fixed the problem. It used to stay up if I started a game just after finishing the prior game, when unforgiven starts playing and the cross has just risen again. The very start of ‘attract mode’
If you let the section of unforgiven finish, it has never been an issue, only time it happens is when you start a new game just after it has risen.
Now it only stays up for the first ball then retracts again.
Thanks very much mate, good fix!

#2210 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now that’s how you provide quality debugging feedback. Description couldn’t be clearer. Funny, when you’re testing these things you have to think of a whole bunch of scenarios that may eventuate. I had simply never thought to test what would happen if I pressed start a little early.
I’ll have new code this afternoon to fix that last niggle.

Awesome! Thanks very much Mike!

#2217 3 years ago

Mike this has fixed the cross staying up as you can see in the start of my video. It momentarily makes the cross rise when the first ball hits the trough switch. Then drops it again when the new ball is on the shooter lane switch as you can see at the end of the video.
It doesn’t happen if you have started cross multiball during the first ball but it did happen when I got cross multiball on the second ball and drained, then when my third ball was in the shooter lane it lowered again.
It is usually only the first ball though, and only if the game is started whilst the unforgiven music is playing (if you let the short unforgiven music finish it does not have the issue at all), so all good, Nothing to stress about, great improvement!
Thank you very much for taking the time to fix it for the very limited number of people who it affects, I really appreciate it!

#2219 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Excellent!
One thing does always risk causing another of course, so I will look into the extra bits over the next couple of days. Great description though, should be easy to track down.

No stress at all mate, I really appreciate the updates, as I said it was something I could live with but awesome that you have taken the time to resolve!

#2220 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Excellent!
One thing does always risk causing another of course, so I will look into the extra bits over the next couple of days. Great description though, should be easy to track down.

I have done a bit more testing it has done a couple of weird things like rising and staying up during the start of sparky multiball. And it dropped a couple of times during cross multiball. (This has nothing to do with when I start a new game. It can happen randomly if I wait for unforgiven song to finish before starting or if I start during the song playing.)

As far as I can tell the ball one issues, when the cross rises when the ball drains and is in the trough and it goes back down when ball two is in the shooter lane, only happens if you start a game during the song unforgiven. As soon as that song fades out and relay 1 is engaged (Can hear it click), starting a game then has no issues (possibly something to do with relay 1 as if you quickly start a game before it disengages it doesn’t have the ball one issue either but can have similar problems on other balls)

I can certainly live with that if it’s too much trouble to chase out.
It is much better than before, where it sometimes stayed up for the whole game or until you finished cross multiball.

1 year later
#2312 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I have a Met pro with this kit already installed. Was wondering if someone who has fitted this has a copy of the instructions..
Thanks

Mikes videos are here if you need help with the instructions. There were no real written instructions.
https://youtube.com/user/mikeutubehull

3 months later
#2332 2 years ago

Sorry to hear mate. Totally understandable, bloody frustrating thing to happen.
Glad you are doing some work for yourself on the Tommy. Hopefully one day you can get back to making more cool mods. Love my TLS and I really appreciate all the work you put into it and also helping with the code on the rising cross mod.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktm450.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo?tu=ktm450 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.