(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 47.
#2151 4 years ago

Merry Christmas all!

1 month later
#2152 4 years ago

Mike / TimeBandit - please reply to my PMs man, I'm desperate!

#2153 4 years ago

I’m currently trying to put together another batch of ten Tron TLS kits. They may be the last I ever make.
My website’s SSL certificate has expired and I couldn’t frankly be bothered paying it again, so the website may be on its last legs.
When I get the kits together I’ll just sell them here. I have a bunch of enquiries already but there’s room for some more interest.

#2154 4 years ago

Mike? Can you please let me know where I stand so I know one way or the other about the DMD apron. I’d rather know if it’s dead in the water rather than stringing myself along.

Also you can get free SSL certificates if you want to keep your website going. Don’t know if you do though.

Hope you’re well either way.

#2155 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I’m currently trying to put together another batch of ten Tron TLS kits. They may be the last I ever make.
My website’s SSL certificate has expired and I couldn’t frankly be bothered paying it again, so the website may be on its last legs.
When I get the kits together I’ll just sell them here. I have a bunch of enquiries already but there’s room for some more interest.

Mike, that’s a real bummer to hear. I’m sure you have your reasons, but many of us out here wondering what happened. Too busy with work? Not enough free time? Lost your passion for pinball? You created some excellent kits & boards over the years. If you’re closing up shop, you will be missed for sure. That Ironman project could have been wonderful.

#2156 4 years ago

Damn!

I was hoping one day you would get to walking dead and make a killer light show mod for it.

#2157 4 years ago

I'd be interested in a Metallica kit if you do another run. And walking dead if that happens

#2158 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm after one for my Tron. Have sent you a pm

#2159 4 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Damn!
I was hoping one day you would get to walking dead and make a killer light show mod for it.

I get high praise on the met tls every time I show it to folks, was really hoping a walking dead tls would eventually happen.

Sounds like you had a blast doing all of this, hope the new focus in life brings you as much fun.

#2160 4 years ago

If I read this correctly and you are retiring from the kit making hobby then I just want to publicly thank you for the great stuff you've produced over the years! It's been a pleasure buying your kit Mike and my Metallica thanks you too many times over!

Good luck in your future endeavors!

#2161 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Mike, that’s a real bummer to hear. I’m sure you have your reasons, but many of us out here wondering what happened. Too busy with work? Not enough free time? Lost your passion for pinball? You created some excellent kits & boards over the years. If you’re closing up shop, you will be missed for sure. That Ironman project could have been wonderful.

Quoted from JONESDS:

I get high praise on the met tls every time I show it to folks, was really hoping a walking dead tls would eventually happen.
Sounds like you had a blast doing all of this, hope the new focus in life brings you as much fun.

Quoted from JeffF:

If I read this correctly and you are retiring from the kit making hobby then I just want to publicly thank you for the great stuff you've produced over the years! It's been a pleasure buying your kit Mike and my Metallica thanks you too many times over!
Good luck in your future endeavors!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have had a blast for five years doing this. I've learnt more than ever and I'm really proud of the things I've created.

The main trouble is my game room looks like this..
IMG_5530 (resized).jpgIMG_5530 (resized).jpg

And it's been like that for a year and a half. I don't play my games. I love pinball and I want to be a pinball player, not really a parts supplier. I want to go back to buying all the new games just for the hell of it and play them and rotate them.

I desperately want to finish developing Iron Man. I desperately want to get my chrome DMD aprons done, And supply Alien spares too. But I also want to put my LE playfield in my Tron, and my Kruzman playfield in my Tommy. Time just keeps slipping away.

I'm still going to put product out, but not through the website model. I'll just do it in batches here on Pinside. I'll be around more once my corporate project is done..looks like June should wrap that up..and hopefully that will leave me better funded for pinball stuff anyway..(fingers crossed).

#2162 4 years ago

Have a couple of questions on adressable leds.....

Whats the total packet and refreshrate for controlling ws2812's or similar?
Normal controller-card can usually just adress one or two dmx-universes.
If you use for example an aurdino, is this also maximum?

If you want stronger lights then pixels on strips, you seem to be stuck with dmx-moving heads, spots, washers and such, which often require/use 10channels or so each.

Is there any "normal" rgb-lightbulbs that only use 3-4 (rgb or rgbw) channels, adressable in the same way as dmx or strips protocol?

#2163 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I desperately want to finish developing Iron Man.

14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
#2164 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have had a blast for five years doing this. I've learnt more than ever and I'm really proud of the things I've created.
The main trouble is my game room looks like this..
[quoted image]
And it's been like that for a year and a half. I don't play my games. I love pinball and I want to be a pinball player, not really a parts supplier. I want to go back to buying all the new games just for the hell of it and play them and rotate them.
I desperately want to finish developing Iron Man. I desperately want to get my chrome DMD aprons done, And supply Alien spares too. But I also want to put my LE playfield in my Tron, and my Kruzman playfield in my Tommy. Time just keeps slipping away.
I'm still going to put product out, but not through the website model. I'll just do it in batches here on Pinside. I'll be around more once my corporate project is done..looks like June should wrap that up..and hopefully that will leave me better funded for pinball stuff anyway..(fingers crossed).

Whatever happens Mike, I hope you’re able to find a decent balance that makes you happy, as that’s the most important thing.

You make some amazing stuff that has been invaluable to the community (particularly the Alien stuff, from what I’ve read), so there will always be people thankful for your efforts.

All the best.

#2165 4 years ago

That's awesome news Mike. Hope you're able to get things in order this year & get back to enjoying pinball. If you ever finish the Ironman kit, you know I'm there to support you.

Cheers!

1 week later
#2166 4 years ago

I'll take a Total Light Show for my Tron Pro

1 week later
#2167 4 years ago

I recently picked up a new Metallica Total Light Show kit second hand and installed it over the weekend in my 2016 Metallica Pro LED. I updated the Total Light Show firmware to the latest release but I'm experiencing a strange problem where my newly installed LEDs strobe/flash randomly every 15 - 30 seconds during ball launching and game play. During the random strobing my red LEDs cut off and the blue/white LEDs flash rapidly. It's almost as though it's receiving phantom switch hits but I verified through the switch diagnostics that no switches are triggering. Everything lights up and dims correctly during attract mode. It also looks awesome during game play when it's not strobing.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening or have any troubleshooting recommendations? I've included some videos for reference:

Metallica Total Light Show - Working Properly During Attract Mode

Metallica Total Light Show - Random Strobing While Ball Ready to Launch / During Game Play

#2168 4 years ago

Addressed in PM.

Quoted from eyera:

I recently picked up a new Metallica Total Light Show kit second hand and installed it over the weekend in my 2016 Metallica Pro LED. I updated the Total Light Show firmware to the latest release but I'm experiencing a strange problem where my newly installed LEDs strobe/flash randomly every 15 - 30 seconds during ball launching and game play. During the random strobing my red LEDs cut off and the blue/white LEDs flash rapidly. It's almost as though it's receiving phantom switch hits but I verified through the switch diagnostics that no switches are triggering. Everything lights up and dims correctly during attract mode. It also looks awesome during game play when it's not strobing.
Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening or have any troubleshooting recommendations? I've included some videos for reference:
Metallica Total Light Show - Working Properly During Attract Mode

Metallica Total Light Show - Random Strobing While Ball Ready to Launch / During Game Play

#2169 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'll take one.

#2170 4 years ago

I want on the list for Tron. PM sent.

1 week later
#2171 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hope you finish your personal pinball projects and get back to playing some.
If you make a batch of SAM knocker kits, I would be in for one. No rush. I might buy a few for possible future use in games I haven't bought yet. Really like them and hate the "Screech" noise.

#2172 4 years ago

I'd love to have an apron dmd if they are ever produced again.

1 month later
#2173 3 years ago

Any plans to do another Metallica run Mike?

#2174 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Any plans to do another Metallica run Mike?

Yes. Both Met and Tron will be available next week some time.

#2175 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes. Both Met and Tron will be available next week some time.

I’m in for Metallica. I have the AC/DC need Metallica

#2176 3 years ago

Any chance you will do a run of apron dmd's? Thanks

#2177 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Any chance you will do a run of apron dmd's? Thanks

Believe it or not, they will be back soon too.

#2178 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Were slingspots for non-stern machines still on the timeline or did you scrap that idea?

#2179 3 years ago

For those interested in getting a kit, I will only be selling them on the Pinside store from now on. I’m closing the website.

I can’t take hold requests, so please keep an eye on this thread to be notified when they are ready. If this run sells out I will be doing another straight away, so don’t panic. I am getting back into the swing of things properly for the foreseeable future. It’s good to be back.

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Were slingspots for non-stern machines still on the timeline or did you scrap that idea?

That one has to go, sadly.

Alien spares survive, along with knocker kits, Arwen ramps, DMD aprons.

#2181 3 years ago

I have the Total Light Show installed in my Metallica. It will sometimes stay dark longer than it should, GI will turn back on after I bat the ball around for awhile (if I can see it!). Not sure if it's a certain switch that reactivates the GI. Latest code installed. Any ideas?

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

That one has to go, sadly.
Alien spares survive, along with knocker kits, Arwen ramps, DMD aprons.

Damn. Looks like the value of my remaining sling spots just went up lol! (I kid, they are now just spares for currently installed ones).

#2183 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I am getting back into the swing of things properly for the foreseeable future. It’s good to be back.

Yay!!!

#2184 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I have the Total Light Show installed in my Metallica. It will sometimes stay dark longer than it should, GI will turn back on after I bat the ball around for awhile (if I can see it!). Not sure if it's a certain switch that reactivates the GI. Latest code installed. Any ideas?

Known issue on mine too. Usually you need to hit a ramp or some other shot that causes a GI effect for the lights to all come back on. I never mentioned it because I thought it was just me.

#2185 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Known issue on mine too. Usually you need to hit a ramp or some other shot that causes a GI effect for the lights to all come back on. I never mentioned it because I thought it was just me.

I was trying to figure out maybe what switch kills it, but I had no luck. I've had it happen at the beginning of a ball as well.

#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I’ve had that one as well. The other little one is the rising cross mod sometimes rises when it shouldn’t. Would be great to get a line of code written in to tell the game to ensure the cross is in the down position at the start of each new ball.

#2187 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

I’ve had that one as well. The other little one is the rising cross mod sometimes rises when it shouldn’t. Would be great to get a line of code written in to tell the game to ensure the cross is in the down position at the start of each new ball.

I wanted to do the rising cross mod, but the mech alone is almost $300. What a ripoff!

#2188 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You don't need to worry about replying to my PM from 3 months ago, the chrome DMD apron I had been waiting 2 years for is no longer needed as I ended up selling my TRON LE.

Hope others have more luck ordering in the future

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I’m working on this over the weekend. Trying for an updated code in the coming week sometime.

#2190 3 years ago

New code! Haha. Here is the new Metallica code that addresses the sometimes-going-dark-for-too-long issue. Please let me know if it bugs out in any way. I will fix it straight away.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MrLQeMY1JNswea3ubzVDgWklGniRCkhD

#2191 3 years ago

For those of you who have never updated code before, simply head over to my website, push through all the warnings (it IS safe, I just haven't bothered to update my security certificate) and download the tools as described.

https://redshiftled.com.au/Downloads.php

But DON'T get the code from here. Use the link in the post above for the code hex file.

#2192 3 years ago

I have also just added a fix for the errant cross-raising. Again, let me know if it plays up again.

#2193 3 years ago

Hey TimeBandit s there any chance of more Dual RGB Sing Boards for Alien?

Also the insert LEDs?

Another thing I somehow recall was Adjustable Eddy Switch modules?

Cheers!

#2194 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Hey Timebandit s there any chance of more Dual RGB Sing Boards for Alien?
Also the insert LEDs?
Another thing I somehow recall was Adjustable Eddy Switch modules?
Cheers!

Yes, Alien sling lights, insert lights and spare switches are coming back. I’m just working on the most efficient way to make them up. I have all the components.
The switches aren’t adjustable. They are passive though, so don’t rely on a micro.

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have also just added a fix for the errant cross-raising. Again, let me know if it plays up again.

Mike, you are a legend. Thanks for getting on to this so quickly. It was something that was slightly annoying which I could live with, but I am stoked you have had the time to resolve!

#2196 3 years ago

Update seems to be working good. Thanks Mike.

Just FYI, the issue some people are having never lasted more than a few seconds on our machine. I never even thought to mention it because it was barely noticeable.

#2197 3 years ago

Are there instructions for installing the raising cross mechanism? It looks like the physical installation isn't too bad but I'm not seeing anything about the wiring? (I tried searching this thread and didn't come up with anything.)

Yeah the $300 is a lot but I can't see ever getting rid of this game so I can justify it. LOL.

#2198 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Are there instructions for installing the raising cross mechanism? It looks like the physical installation isn't too bad but I'm not seeing anything about the wiring? (I tried searching this thread and didn't come up with anything.)
Yeah the $300 is a lot but I can't see ever getting rid of this game so I can justify it. LOL.

Basically you just connect it via the switch matrix for the premium, tapping into the correct colour wires at connectors or using insulation displacement connectors. The motor taps into 20v at the pin where the premium does in the back box. Then switch the negative wire through a solid state relay such as an SSR-25DD (heaps on eBay) the relay is switched from the outputs on the total light show board.

#2199 3 years ago

Hi Mike,

I am waiting for months to hear back from you regarding the Total Lightshow kit for Tron Pro back in stock.
Can you tell me and your many interested customers, when this will be in stock and available for purchase.

It would be nice to keep your customers informed.

Thanks
Ed

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from tilt101:

Hi Mike,
I am waiting for months to hear back from you regarding the Total Lightshow kit for Tron Pro back in stock.
Can you tell me and your many interested customers, when this will be in stock and available for purchase.
It would be nice to keep your customers informed.
Thanks
Ed

Updates are in this thread. Keep an eye on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.