(Topic ID: 293535)

I think I need a weekend fun car - now with a poll!

By Completist

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ViperTim
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“I think I need a weekend fun car - now with a poll!”

• Dodge Viper 21 votes
    42%
  • C3 Vette plus late 70’s Screamin Chicken 16 votes
    32%
  • Save your money and get a bicycle, its better for the environment 13 votes
    26%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16A631FB-0744-496E-B7A6-AE24D914DA15 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
B9CC3A5E-FDAB-45D0-9CC1-9DF5B464A88F (resized).jpeg
IMG_3161 (resized).JPG
IMG_2019 (resized).JPG
IMG_2745 (resized).JPG
IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
IMG_4717 (resized).JPG
IMG_4713 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20221031-010733_Chrome (resized).jpg
BC379641-0529-4843-AAB0-3E416E046DED (resized).jpeg
FFD24C7E-1486-493E-8C70-C21AD27DE355 (resized).png
49B6A6F3-151F-43A5-B262-BBC046CCA09F (resized).jpeg
3D63E7DC-69D3-46C9-BBCB-09368A95BE5B (resized).png
E5655996-8D25-45B1-A638-A2BCEFCE241D (resized).jpeg
303BD3D3-862A-4750-87F2-2B774BC534C4 (resized).jpeg
There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 2 years ago

And for those suggesting a Miata, the op has stated more than a couple times he “loves the deep throaty growl of a V8”. I feel the closest a Miata is getting is a bit of a meow.

803A850F-838A-4F5A-99AD-3C70839B321A (resized).png803A850F-838A-4F5A-99AD-3C70839B321A (resized).png
#152 2 years ago

I went to buy a work truck 1 day and they talked me or let me test drive their 2011 camaro convertible.Skip the truck I drove home the camaro .Also under your budget mark.

#153 2 years ago

I’ll just advise that super fast and super powerful is not necessary especially on public roads where you can’t use the top 70% of the potential. It’s also dangerous to go super fast on public roads.

I owned a S2000 drove my friends 911 turbo on same back roads and the 911 turbo felt boring because it’s so much higher limit. Like me doing 50 in my S2K on a corner felt like I was a hooligan but the same corner in the turbo 50 feels like I was doing 30 mph.

Also better to use 99% of a car much of the time than be stuck with driving at 70% of the true potential.

I owned a V8 M3 in between my S2K and my BRZ. Sure the M3 could smoke either one but it wasn’t as fun or visceral as the two little 4 cylinder cars that you have to rev them to the moon.

#154 2 years ago

If you are buying something just to show of how big your uh, “engine” is, just dont. I don’t understand that mentality. I could easily go to the nearest adult toy shop and buy the biggest “engine” I could find, but Im pretty sure that doesnt make mine any bigger or more impressive. Just my $0.02. Now, if you really happen to love a specific car, then get one. Doesnt matter if other people like it, as long as you do. Let the downvotes begin!

#155 2 years ago

So I'll throw out two options, the first won't make sense at first but hear me out!

First, a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Like I said, hear me out I've been a muscle car driver since forever including driving heavily modded cars as my daily drivers for years. People thought I was insane but I loved them. The reason I suggest the Model 3 Performance is it's the everything car. If you want performance then it blows most everything away. I had it alongside my 2019 650 hp/tq Camaro ZL1 and it absolutely blew it away on the streets, the highways, the twisty back roads, you name it. I even had a Porsche GT3 try and get away on the Santa Monica Mountains around here where all the car Youtubers film, and his $170k car couldn't get away. Yeah even he was surprised. The car is an absolute bullet, and yes while above your budget (mine was $57k, out the door loaded and with all taxes/fees) it's dirt cheap to own, run and maintain. Because it has so few parts and costs little to fill up you can floor it all the time. There's no maintenance and no parts to break, I've done nothing on mine in 2.5 years so far. You can have your family use it during weekdays since it's cheap and ranked as one of the safest cars out there for crash protection, but you can take on 6 figure exotics with it on the weekends or run it on the mountain roads. Wanna track it? No problem, it has built in track mode where you can configure everything, to which wheels the power goes, etc. Side bonus, because it's silent it gives a whole new driving experience on the back roads because you hear everything that the engine normally drowns out, the tires gripping the road, the suspension, the wind, all of it. Seriously that aspect it's amazing and that's coming from a muscle car guy! Yeah I know this one will get hate here but I can't recommend it enough, it punches so far above it's weight and costs so little for what it does. Double side bonus, it's made in the USA with local labor, local parts, local materials, etc, something important to me although I'll admit most don't seem to care about that anymore I attached a pic of mine, I call it American electric muscle.

Second, if you wanna go cheaper go with an 80s or 90s Camaro. They built so many of them hence they are still dirt cheap to buy. Won't take much to make them rumble, just throw a Flowmaster exhaust on it and you're done, you'll easily pass emissions with that. I attached a pic of my 97 Camaro Z28 that I used to prowl the streets with. Looks simple but it had heads, custom cam, shorty tubes, 3200 stall converter, 3.73 gears, custom programming, etc mods along with 11 inch Nitto tires on the back, was my daily driver for years. Built it as a 0-90 car, even Dinan BMW's couldn't hang. Personally though I prefer the look of the 80s Camaro, and a convertible Iroc is a car I will own one day. The 80s Iroc pic attached isn't my car alas These cars won't be fast by todays standards but they will be very cheap, and while old cars aren't reliable these cars are very cheap to fix as parts are plentiful and you can do most fixes yourself. The Camaro forums are filled with helpful people that can get you parts and suggest fixes as all the issues are well known by now.
DSC02369 (resized).JPGDSC02369 (resized).JPGIMG_20190718_113210 (resized).jpgIMG_20190718_113210 (resized).jpgfl0117-268604_2@2x (resized).jpgfl0117-268604_2@2x (resized).jpg

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Buy something the same year you were born. I did

My 66 Mustang matches the year I was born and my left front fender is actual month and day correct and 3rd shift stamped so time also matches within a few hours. If it was stamped at Woodhaven or Dearborn plants it wouldve been born within 30 miles of me too.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Lexus SC300 hardtop convertible (super cool)

I have been looking on and off for a low mileage SC430. Definitely a touring car and not a true sports car but I do like the idea of hard top convertible that I can actually do the work on

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I have been looking on and off for a low mileage SC430. Definitely a touring car and not a true sports car but I do like the idea of hard top convertible that I can actually do the work on

I guess there are a few people out there who want to own the worst car in the history of the world. Are you aware you'll have to periodically look at it?

https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Lexus_SC_430#:~:text=The%20SC%20430%20was%20featured%20in%20the%20Top,%27worst%20car%20in%20the%20history%20of%20the%20world%27.

Have you considered the Miata, BMW M4, or other hardtop convertibles?

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I guess there are a few people out there who want to own the worst car in the history of the world. Are you aware you'll have to periodically look at it?
https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Lexus_SC_430#:~:text=The%20SC%20430%20was%20featured%20in%20the%20Top,%27worst%20car%20in%20the%20history%20of%20the%20world%27.

I get you why they say this, but it really is tongue and cheak. Lexus changed direction with the SC line and went non sports car convertible, cruiser. I think they were trying to get in the Merc SL market knowing most SL owners don't do much with their cars except cruise with top down. I always liked the looks and buyer's, if not dumb and test drive first, know they aren't getting a rocket with stiff springs.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:If you are buying something just to show of how big your uh, “engine” is, just dont. I don’t understand that mentality. I could easily go to the nearest adult toy shop and buy the biggest “engine” I could find, but Im pretty sure that doesnt make mine any bigger or more impressive. Just my $0.02. Now, if you really happen to love a specific car, then get one. Doesnt matter if other people like it, as long as you do. Let the downvotes begin!

I upvoted you instead. I’m not interested in a car to draw attention, so really don’t care what others think. Same with my pinball collection. I’m sure i have games that others will hate on. So be it. I’m not rushing out to sell those. I own Rob Zombie and still love it! There i said it. Haha.

I’m not out to compete with anyone, just want something i’ll enjoy. So many people are car enthusiasts whereas i’m not as educated. Hence the thread. And the thread also provided some relief to the LE scandal and pin pricing threads.

I do know what i like in general, but won’t necessarily know all the ins and outs of particular years. I always liked corvettes. But from tips in this thread learned a lot more. I’m liking the C6 with the LS3 vs the LS2 engine. I like the targa top so would lean towards the Grand Sport over the Z06 even though it has the bigger engine. A sentence i wouldn’t of been able to write a week ago. Neither are likely to be found these days for my “budget” i’m prob 10k short. A base ‘08 C6 seems doable though.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

I love the M4. Its why i got looking at the earlier M3 with the body style i like. A colleague drove an M4 which i drooled over. checked a lot of boxes. Also owned a Viper GTS and that was special. I’m certain i’d kill myself in that lmao. Car prices these days seem way up compared to a year ago. More like 50k for those. 50k opens up a lot of options.

Miata’s - i can see why people like those. I disliked them as a teenager. Right, wrong or indifferent that predisposition remains. I think someone who i thought was a douche bag owned one so the stigma remains lol.

So i was up till 1am listening to exhaust tones from different aftermarket exhausts for my Chevy truck. My dads truck has a nice exhaust. My truck is nicer but his sounds waaaay better. Aim to fix that finally lol.

Now i’m not a tire kicker. So when i ask the community for advice its not to waste peoples time. I’ll be sure to post what i end up getting just as soon as i figure it out

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Now i’m not a tire kicker. So when i ask the community for advice its not to waste peoples time. I’ll be sure to post what i end up getting just as soon as i figure it out

No, this is fun.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I’m liking the C6 with the LS3 vs the LS2 engine. I like the targa top so would lean towards the Grand Sport over the Z06 even though it has the bigger engine.

Also look for the 3LT trim level, most are but not all. The heads-up display is sweet.

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Mini's have BMW maintenance cost because they are made by BMW. Reliability is abou the worst. Did you let it go before warranty?

We did but it was never in the shop. You do have to watch out for certain years

#164 2 years ago

4th gen Camaro . I have had 5 of them and the 1998-02 have the LS1. This is my latest one.

8A69FA65-E20A-49EA-A42B-9628AB380A28 (resized).jpeg8A69FA65-E20A-49EA-A42B-9628AB380A28 (resized).jpeg98C14DE1-6E95-4EB2-A40C-4CCAF50BA4B1 (resized).jpeg98C14DE1-6E95-4EB2-A40C-4CCAF50BA4B1 (resized).jpegF3A3B339-61E8-4F86-90D5-4C73DFA20CAE (resized).jpegF3A3B339-61E8-4F86-90D5-4C73DFA20CAE (resized).jpeg
#165 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Was going to buy one, the odd styling is exactly what I like. I decided not to solely because the main stereo cluster is not something easily replaced and dated it too much for me at the time. Loved the ride though and I probably will revisit the SC430 again.

Ended up buying the 2010 IS350 that we're now selling because we have 5 vehicles between just me and my wife.

#166 2 years ago

If you can drive a stick, anything with over 300hp will be a fun weekend driver.

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

If you can drive a stick, anything with over 300hp will be a fun weekend driver.

Drove one of these for a couple years and at only 225 hp was a lot of fun.

82DC2AD6-A84F-4AF8-A216-C39603584676 (resized).jpeg82DC2AD6-A84F-4AF8-A216-C39603584676 (resized).jpeg
#168 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Drove one of these for a couple years and at only 225 hp was a lot of fun.
[quoted image]

Throw 3:73 gears in it and that changes everything.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

So I'll throw out two options, the first won't make sense at first but hear me out!
First, a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Like I said, hear me out I've been a muscle car driver since forever including driving heavily modded cars as my daily drivers for years. People thought I was insane but I loved them. The reason I suggest the Model 3 Performance is it's the everything car. If you want performance then it blows most everything away. I had it alongside my 2019 650 hp/tq Camaro ZL1 and it absolutely blew it away on the streets, the highways, the twisty back roads, you name it. I even had a Porsche GT3 try and get away on the Santa Monica Mountains around here where all the car Youtubers film, and his $170k car couldn't get away. Yeah even he was surprised. The car is an absolute bullet, and yes while above your budget (mine was $57k, out the door loaded and with all taxes/fees) it's dirt cheap to own, run and maintain. Because it has so few parts and costs little to fill up you can floor it all the time. There's no maintenance and no parts to break, I've done nothing on mine in 2.5 years so far. You can have your family use it during weekdays since it's cheap and ranked as one of the safest cars out there for crash protection, but you can take on 6 figure exotics with it on the weekends or run it on the mountain roads. Wanna track it? No problem, it has built in track mode where you can configure everything, to which wheels the power goes, etc. Side bonus, because it's silent it gives a whole new driving experience on the back roads because you hear everything that the engine normally drowns out, the tires gripping the road, the suspension, the wind, all of it. Seriously that aspect it's amazing and that's coming from a muscle car guy! Yeah I know this one will get hate here but I can't recommend it enough, it punches so far above it's weight and costs so little for what it does. Double side bonus, it's made in the USA with local labor, local parts, local materials, etc, something important to me although I'll admit most don't seem to care about that anymore I attached a pic of mine, I call it American electric muscle.
Second, if you wanna go cheaper go with an 80s or 90s Camaro. They built so many of them hence they are still dirt cheap to buy. Won't take much to make them rumble, just throw a Flowmaster exhaust on it and you're done, you'll easily pass emissions with that. I attached a pic of my 97 Camaro Z28 that I used to prowl the streets with. Looks simple but it had heads, custom cam, shorty tubes, 3200 stall converter, 3.73 gears, custom programming, etc mods along with 11 inch Nitto tires on the back, was my daily driver for years. Built it as a 0-90 car, even Dinan BMW's couldn't hang. Personally though I prefer the look of the 80s Camaro, and a convertible Iroc is a car I will own one day. The 80s Iroc pic attached isn't my car alas These cars won't be fast by todays standards but they will be very cheap, and while old cars aren't reliable these cars are very cheap to fix as parts are plentiful and you can do most fixes yourself. The Camaro forums are filled with helpful people that can get you parts and suggest fixes as all the issues are well known by now.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The I-roc is a classic, that Camaro, has to be one of the ugliest cars of all time.

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

. I do know what i like in general, but won’t necessarily know all the ins and outs of particular years. I always liked corvettes. But from tips in this thread learned a lot more. I’m liking the C6 with the LS3 vs the LS2 engine. I like the targa top so would lean towards the Grand Sport over the Z06 even though it has the bigger engine. A sentence i wouldn’t of been able to write a week ago. Neither are likely to be found these days for my “budget” i’m prob 10k short. A base ‘08 C6 seems doable though.

I bought a 2011 C6 grand sport a few years ago and it has been flawless and bulletproof. Apparently there were a few years in there when reliability was top notch according to Consumer Reports. I daily drive it when I can get it past the other cars in the driveway. I wasn’t really a Corvette fan prior to owning it, but this car has sold me hard. I’ll get a C8 eventually after the used market calms down, but in my opinion the wide-body C6 (and particularly the grand sport with the side gills) is one of the best looking Vettes made. JMHO.

If I can be of any help in your search, feel free to PM me. Check CorvetteForum.com. I bought mine from an individual in Milwaukee and drove it home. It was worth the effort for a sweet deal ... but prices have definitely gone up.

#171 2 years ago

Also forgot to mention VW GTI-super fun car!

Coming soon to a dealer near you, less than 30K new with turbo and manual option. STI got delayed and will be another year or so...

2022 WRX (resized).jpg2022 WRX (resized).jpg

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Mini's have BMW maintenance cost because they are made by BMW. Reliability is abou the worst. Did you let it go before warranty?

My favorite Mini story from mine was needing to replace the gas tank. It took almost a month at the dealership, and when I got it back, the car had a massive dent in the right side of the car. Yay.

Yes, it was all under warranty. Yes, they fixed the dent too. But over the life of the car it had an overnight stay at the dealership for every thousand miles. It was a fun car, but an absolute headache. It was my “fun second car”, but I ended up hating it. I’d be surprised if there was a gasket in the engine I didn’t have to have replaced. Every time I pulled it out of the garage I’d check for new leaks, and then I’d have to find where it was coming from.

Damn fun car to drive when it worked, but the overhead made it much less fun. I’ll admit to driving it hard, because cars like that are made to have some fun without getting too crazy. So I don’t include the costs of stuff like tires or brakes, and really I shouldn’t include the bushings. Those are the costs of hard corners. But gas tanks? Valves? Decarbonization? Gaskets? Those all come down to bad design and construction.

#173 2 years ago

I owned a E92 M3 was a great car but the maintenance was god awful and they don’t give you a break on known defective parts. I’m never going to buy anything from BMW again.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I owned a E92 M3 was a great car but the maintenance was god awful and they don’t give you a break on known defective parts. I’m never going to buy anything from BMW again.

I've had 2 BMWs, a 330xi and a 335xi. Both were a blast to drive, but holy shit where they pieces of crap. I'd never buy one that didn't come with a bumper to bumper warranty and a spare car for when it's in the shop. The crap that failed on those cars was insane. Motor mounts, water pumps, rear suspensions, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids and the list goes on and on. Not to mention that they went through coil packs like they were free. Then add in all the normal stuff like brakes, rotors, tires, etc and I could have been driving a Ferrari for the same price.

#175 2 years ago

Want something fun and that get's a TON of attention, this is it. But i'm not selling you this one

20200603_154425 (resized).jpg20200603_154425 (resized).jpg
#176 2 years ago

I’m sure the Tesla cars are great, fast it’s no doubt. However maybe not as fun as a traditional car which has gears, engine noise, feeling brakes, and so on.

Chris Harris driving a Tesla 3 saying it’s fast beats the usual sports sedan suspects on a road course but but the main (only) advantage is power out of turns.

As I’ve said speed and power doesn’t make a car fun it’s more of driving experience, shifting gears, letting the rear slip, finding the limits. I don’t care a bit for ‘beating’ this or that car. Street racing is not really something I’d ever care about or brag about. I’m more interested in driving fun. Some of the most fun cars are not the fastest or power and certainly (imo) not electric.

IMO turbo and electric and robot shift are in vogue or the way of the future but the older pure sports cars which are not as fast but more fun to me.

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Also forgot to mention VW GTI-super fun car!
Coming soon to a dealer near you, less than 30K new with turbo and manual option. STI got delayed and will be another year or so...
[quoted image]

We daily drive a wrx sti, they are an awesome car. Heaps of power, sound good (we have a borla stainless exhaust) handles like on rails, reliable, cheap to service and is basically a great all-round fast car.
For weekends we cruze low n loud in an old Plymouth, sacked out, with electric exhaust dump pipes, flick of the switch and it's straight pipe 470ci of obnoxious. I would not recommend the Plymouth, I'm always working on it!
IMG20210128111748 (resized).jpgIMG20210128111748 (resized).jpgIMG20210416180537 (resized).jpgIMG20210416180537 (resized).jpg

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

We daily drive a wrx sti, they are an awesome car. Heaps of power, sound good (we have a borla stainless exhaust) handles like on rails, reliable, cheap to service and is basically a great all-round fast car.
For weekends we cruze low n loud in an old Plymouth, sacked out, with electric exhaust dump pipes, flick of the switch and it's straight pipe 470ci of obnoxious. I would not recommend the Plymouth, I'm always working on it!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The Plymouth looks mean! I like it!

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Was going to buy one, the odd styling is exactly what I like. I decided not to solely because the main stereo cluster is not something easily replaced and dated it too much for me at the time. Loved the ride though and I probably will revisit the SC430 again.

I also find the *odd* design endearing and acknowledge that putting a backseat in with zero legroom is bizarre but the radio is hardly a limitation for me.

My Mustang has AM only which pretty much means I drive around with a bluetooth boombox in the backseat and tunes from my phone. Also have a 97 Tercel and 02 Accord that have bluetooth adapters

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Want something fun and that get's a TON of attention, this is it. But i'm not selling you this one
[quoted image]

Nice! Where i have examples of cars i disliked in my youth (that have negative connotations today) there are those that do the opposite. Yours is an example of that. I was a preschooler when Smokey and the Bandit came out but certainly older when i would of seen it on TV or VHS. The late 70’s Firebird has since been a favorite. My wife would be ok with that style of car too.

Of course i wait until the peak of used car prices to discover all this. Are their car forums where people bitch about prices and car price bubbles? Does crazylevi comment on those too???

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know I need a weekend fun car.

Now I just have to find someone with one of these hot cars, that is dumb enough to let me use it for a weekend.

LTG : )

Look into Turo. Person-to-person car rentals.

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & S Skee Ball

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Go Plymouth Heres my 47 in progress

IMG_0177 (resized).jpgIMG_0177 (resized).jpgIMG_0192 (resized).jpgIMG_0192 (resized).jpg
#183 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Go Plymouth Heres my 47 in progress

IMG_0155 (resized).jpgIMG_0155 (resized).jpg
#184 2 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:We daily drive a wrx sti, they are an awesome car. Heaps of power, sound good (we have a borla stainless exhaust) handles like on rails, reliable, cheap to service and is basically a great all-round fast car.

The Plymouth would be an easy choice for me out of the 2. Old school muscle with the v8 rumble.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Chris Harris driving a Tesla 3 saying it’s fast beats the usual sports sedan suspects on a road course but but the main (only) advantage is power out of turns.

Power out of turns is only one aspect, there's more to it than that. For example they also have a very low center of gravity because all the weight is near the ground (the battery basically). So to me they are actually more fun in the canyons rather than on the streets, they feel like a go kart glued to the road. Anyways, we have endless canyon roads out where I am so the fun factor there matters to me quite a bit. I love running them because you're alone out there save for an occasional deer. I tossed in a couple of pics from a canyon run a few years ago back when I had the ZL1, one of the car then I turned 90 degrees and took a pic of one of the canyon runs I love to do. Personally I haven't found a car as fun as my 3 to drive the twisty canyons with, but your mileage may vary.

Plus you have to remember, guys like Chris Harris drive 6 figure cars all the time and yeah sure, someone that can drive a Mclaren regularly may not find a Model 3 impressive. And quite frankly it behooves these Youtubers and car enthusiasts to put down cheaper cars that can outperform expensive ones. Think about it, the whole point of their videos is to show off cars that you and me may never afford but can watch their videos to live vicariously through them, it's how they earn their living. But if I can get a car for a fraction of the price that outperforms the pricey stuff they show and is more fun to boot, then why would I care what they say or drive? But that's another discussion I guess...

IMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173730 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173730 (resized).jpg
#186 2 years ago

Looking for a super fun weekend driver that gets 38mpg? Look no further. Daihatsu!

IMG_20210521_194855052.jpgIMG_20210521_194855052.jpg
#187 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Corvettes are soooooo uncomfortable though. I yi yi. And honestly not very fun to drive. The Miata, so sweet in those curves

C8 absolute trash can seats...lower back on absolute fire after 30-40 minutes.

#188 2 years ago

I mean in light of recent pinside threads...YOLO OP!!!

Going with the 6 spd CT5 Blackwing full carbon Fiber and tech bronze wheels...Yeee!

E761196E-67AF-4EE6-AA7E-FE1D241B7E95 (resized).pngE761196E-67AF-4EE6-AA7E-FE1D241B7E95 (resized).png
#189 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

C8 absolute trash can seats...lower back on absolute fire after 30-40 minutes.

That is disappointing to hear. Lower back support is about the most important thing in a seat, and a seat is a pretty important factor in a car. Have you tried all of the various C8 seat options?

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Have you tried all of the various C8 seat options?

No...I’m over it, aside from shitting on mopars all day every day, the C8 is a total fail...now the radio doesn’t even shut off after the recent update.

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from SteamVette:

I have been thinking of selling the 66 Vette and buying a Delorean.. I have had many Vettes and ready for a change.

Don’t do that.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

That is disappointing to hear. Lower back support is about the most important thing in a seat, and a seat is a pretty important factor in a car. Have you tried all of the various C8 seat options?

I’ve got the Competition Sport buckets and find them to be incredibly comfortable.

#192 2 years ago

Let’s see if we can narrow it down a bit…..

Convertible: yes, no or either way ?

4 seats ? 2 seaters ok ?

Handling vs power ? Which is more important…. Or Need both.

Reliability ? Ok to need a lot of work.. or just want it to start and run every time.

Any thought on what decades you are open to ?

S2000 is a great car if you are looking for reliable 2 seater that is just a blast to drive…. They don’t make them like that anymore. it does not have much torque…but the 9000 rpm redline makes up for it . I need to start an S2K club on pinside…. Wondering if anyone else has one here,

#193 2 years ago

The OP's driving requirements are similar to mine and have made a number of suggestions,
mostly for what would be considered classic sports cars. But I'll add one more; the
Mercedes 280, 350, 450, 500 and 560 SL's. My wife doesn't really appreciate the
sports cars I have (mostly British convertables) but she does like the '73 450 SLC (coupe
version of the SL convertables) which was a daily driver for years. And especially the
'71 350SL. This line of wars (W107) was made from approx 1970 to 1989 and there
are a lot of them out there for very reasonable prices. Many you will find were well maintianed
because they were so expensive when new.

Another one to throw into the mix.
Steve

#194 2 years ago

This is my slow lane classic. 56 hp. It’s a fun throw back. 1949. Most have never seen and can’t identify it.

2D1EABCF-D4DD-41E6-A168-E9B131335A4A (resized).jpeg2D1EABCF-D4DD-41E6-A168-E9B131335A4A (resized).jpeg
#195 2 years ago

It's hard not to impose one's own preferences and biases when offering suggestions. Based on what has been posted by the OP so far, it sounds like he prefers a more active, visceral driving experience. Meaning he wants a manual transmission, nice throaty exhaust note, convertible or t-top, and even a ride that may be a bit rougher around the edges.

It's like roller coasters. Give me a big old wooden coaster over the fancy smooth metal ones. With the wooden ones, you can hear all the creaks, feel the flexing of the tracks, see all the loose and missing bolts. It gives you the sense that you really are tempting fate, knowing it is just a matter of time before a support breaks and a car get tossed 300 yards across the field. Of course, they can't begin to compete with the metal round rail coasters in terms of acceleration, speed and g-force, which is why those coasters have so many fans. For me, the newer ones are more sterile, lacking the charm (and that feeling of impending doom) of the old wooden one. I'm thinking the OP would be happier on a wooden one.

#196 2 years ago

This has been a lot of help. I wouldn’t expect everyone to make the same recommendations of course. I enjoy this thread, not because i started it. I would of followed it if someone else did lol.

Quoted from ataritoday:

Let’s see if we can narrow it down a bit…..
Convertible: yes, no or either way ?
4 seats ? 2 seaters ok ?
Handling vs power ? Which is more important…. Or Need both.
Reliability ? Ok to need a lot of work.. or just want it to start and run every time.
Any thought on what decades you are open to ?
S2000 is a great car if you are looking for reliable 2 seater that is just a blast to drive…. They don’t make them like that anymore. it does not have much torque…but the 9000 rpm redline makes up for it . I need to start an S2K club on pinside…. Wondering if anyone else has one here,

Convertible not mandatory though my wife says she likes the idea. I am picky, there is no doubt. I would prefer a hard top vs a soft top. Maybe why when we are talking corvettes i lean towards the targa top. 4 seater is not a requirement. Our kids are getting older making the back seat of many sports cars useless. My 16 year old is 6ft. Not sure if he’s done growing or not.

Handling vs power.. i guess a little from column A and a little from column B. I don’t want something that just goes fast in a straight line and is shitty at everything else. But i do want some power. It just doesn’t need to go to eleven. Love the look of the Viper. Just don’t think i’ll enjoy driving it as much.

I’d like to be able to drive it, but doesnt mean it has to be perfect. I consider myself handsy. I mean handy. But i don’t have specialty tools, and wouldn’t get into cutting out rust and doing my own body work and painting. In the pinball world i do about anything mechanically or electronically. But i send my pf’s to Kruzman to clear coat. I bought a nice airbrush 5 years ago thinking i would touch up pfs and what not. Still NIB!

Decades i am open too anything from the 60’s forward. Really just depends on model of car. I admit that narrows down nothing and is of no help.

Local coffee roaster seems to have a small gathering of cars on sundays. I think its just bunch of people who meet there, its nothing the coffee place organizes. When i went today there wasn’t much there yet. A cool looking Lotus and a C6 grand sport in an uncommon dark green. Looked sharp.

I do find when i am browsing the internet that cool colors catch my eye. I will skip past silver ones since they were so over done when i was in my late teens and early 20’s. My truck is all black and a midnight edition so barely any chrome. I love that. But in a weekend car i would do bold colors for sure. Loud sound and loud color. I know that makes it appear that i just want to peacock but tis not the case. I just like what i like! Whoever posted that purple Hellcat way back has great taste imo.

So where we at now?

I am liking the corvette for sure. I think to start i am looking at a C6 GS though i could be persuaded to even look at an 01/02 C5. There are tons of them out there but thankfully still defying economic principles. Cars that don’t sell in months still get routine price increases these days

Or a 77/78 firebird. That is something that i have admired for as long as i can remember.

I keep looking at the Maserati cuz i just think its special. Realizing it will be very $$ to maintain. Just wish they were true manuals and not the paddle shift.

BMW i still like, but am leaning away now. Mainly because i drive a nice german car. Its not fancy like the M but its still quick, has a dual clutch and handles very well. I know, not the same but maybe not different enough for a fun weekend car.

I think i want an American muscle car the most. Something “newer” for the first but i can see me getting a second older car as a project that will take up space in the garage and piss my wife off

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It's hard not to impose one's own preferences and biases when offering suggestions. Based on what has been posted by the OP so far, it sounds like he prefers a more active, visceral driving experience. Meaning he wants a manual transmission, nice throaty exhaust note, convertible or t-top, and even a ride that may be a bit rougher around the edges.
It's like roller coasters. Give me a big old wooden coaster over the fancy smooth metal ones. With the wooden ones, you can hear all the creaks, feel the flexing of the tracks, see all the loose and missing bolts. It gives you the sense that you really are tempting fate, knowing it is just a matter of time before a support breaks and a car get tossed 300 yards across the field. Of course, they can't begin to compete with the metal round rail coasters in terms of acceleration, speed and g-force, which is why those coasters have so many fans. For me, the newer ones are more sterile, lacking the charm (and that feeling of impending doom) of the old wooden one. I'm thinking the OP would be happier on a wooden one.

Well said! Fav ride at the theme park back home is The Mighty Canadian Minebuster. If you know what that means, you know

#198 2 years ago

So to scratch the itch while i figure this car thing out i think i am going to mod out my Z71 a touch. New cold air intake arrived, now just trying to decide which style exhaust i wanna install. Black chrome tips for sure, i like the Borla ones with the ATAK or S-Type. I just can’t make up my mind which exit style i like the most. I think too much haha.

#199 2 years ago

Was in Maryland for Cruisin' Ocean City this week. Thousands of smiling, middle-aged men with their dream cars of all years, makes, shapes, colors and state of restoration.

My unscientific observation was the most popular seemed to be 67-69 Camaros and newer Corvettes

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

So to scratch the itch while i figure this car thing out i think i am going to mod out my Z71 a touch. New cold air intake arrived, now just trying to decide which style exhaust i wanna install. Black chrome tips for sure, i like the Borla ones with the ATAK or S-Type. I just can’t make up my mind which exit style i like the most. I think too much haha.

Side exit in my opinion. Rear looks like a wheel barrow

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-need-a-weekend-fun-car/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.