(Topic ID: 293535)

I think I need a weekend fun car - now with a poll!

By Completist

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ViperTim
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“I think I need a weekend fun car - now with a poll!”

• Dodge Viper 21 votes
    42%
  • C3 Vette plus late 70’s Screamin Chicken 16 votes
    32%
  • Save your money and get a bicycle, its better for the environment 13 votes
    26%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16A631FB-0744-496E-B7A6-AE24D914DA15 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
B9CC3A5E-FDAB-45D0-9CC1-9DF5B464A88F (resized).jpeg
IMG_3161 (resized).JPG
IMG_2019 (resized).JPG
IMG_2745 (resized).JPG
IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
IMG_4717 (resized).JPG
IMG_4713 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20221031-010733_Chrome (resized).jpg
BC379641-0529-4843-AAB0-3E416E046DED (resized).jpeg
FFD24C7E-1486-493E-8C70-C21AD27DE355 (resized).png
49B6A6F3-151F-43A5-B262-BBC046CCA09F (resized).jpeg
3D63E7DC-69D3-46C9-BBCB-09368A95BE5B (resized).png
E5655996-8D25-45B1-A638-A2BCEFCE241D (resized).jpeg
303BD3D3-862A-4750-87F2-2B774BC534C4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#155 2 years ago

So I'll throw out two options, the first won't make sense at first but hear me out!

First, a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Like I said, hear me out I've been a muscle car driver since forever including driving heavily modded cars as my daily drivers for years. People thought I was insane but I loved them. The reason I suggest the Model 3 Performance is it's the everything car. If you want performance then it blows most everything away. I had it alongside my 2019 650 hp/tq Camaro ZL1 and it absolutely blew it away on the streets, the highways, the twisty back roads, you name it. I even had a Porsche GT3 try and get away on the Santa Monica Mountains around here where all the car Youtubers film, and his $170k car couldn't get away. Yeah even he was surprised. The car is an absolute bullet, and yes while above your budget (mine was $57k, out the door loaded and with all taxes/fees) it's dirt cheap to own, run and maintain. Because it has so few parts and costs little to fill up you can floor it all the time. There's no maintenance and no parts to break, I've done nothing on mine in 2.5 years so far. You can have your family use it during weekdays since it's cheap and ranked as one of the safest cars out there for crash protection, but you can take on 6 figure exotics with it on the weekends or run it on the mountain roads. Wanna track it? No problem, it has built in track mode where you can configure everything, to which wheels the power goes, etc. Side bonus, because it's silent it gives a whole new driving experience on the back roads because you hear everything that the engine normally drowns out, the tires gripping the road, the suspension, the wind, all of it. Seriously that aspect it's amazing and that's coming from a muscle car guy! Yeah I know this one will get hate here but I can't recommend it enough, it punches so far above it's weight and costs so little for what it does. Double side bonus, it's made in the USA with local labor, local parts, local materials, etc, something important to me although I'll admit most don't seem to care about that anymore I attached a pic of mine, I call it American electric muscle.

Second, if you wanna go cheaper go with an 80s or 90s Camaro. They built so many of them hence they are still dirt cheap to buy. Won't take much to make them rumble, just throw a Flowmaster exhaust on it and you're done, you'll easily pass emissions with that. I attached a pic of my 97 Camaro Z28 that I used to prowl the streets with. Looks simple but it had heads, custom cam, shorty tubes, 3200 stall converter, 3.73 gears, custom programming, etc mods along with 11 inch Nitto tires on the back, was my daily driver for years. Built it as a 0-90 car, even Dinan BMW's couldn't hang. Personally though I prefer the look of the 80s Camaro, and a convertible Iroc is a car I will own one day. The 80s Iroc pic attached isn't my car alas These cars won't be fast by todays standards but they will be very cheap, and while old cars aren't reliable these cars are very cheap to fix as parts are plentiful and you can do most fixes yourself. The Camaro forums are filled with helpful people that can get you parts and suggest fixes as all the issues are well known by now.
DSC02369 (resized).JPGDSC02369 (resized).JPGIMG_20190718_113210 (resized).jpgIMG_20190718_113210 (resized).jpgfl0117-268604_2@2x (resized).jpgfl0117-268604_2@2x (resized).jpg

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Chris Harris driving a Tesla 3 saying it’s fast beats the usual sports sedan suspects on a road course but but the main (only) advantage is power out of turns.

Power out of turns is only one aspect, there's more to it than that. For example they also have a very low center of gravity because all the weight is near the ground (the battery basically). So to me they are actually more fun in the canyons rather than on the streets, they feel like a go kart glued to the road. Anyways, we have endless canyon roads out where I am so the fun factor there matters to me quite a bit. I love running them because you're alone out there save for an occasional deer. I tossed in a couple of pics from a canyon run a few years ago back when I had the ZL1, one of the car then I turned 90 degrees and took a pic of one of the canyon runs I love to do. Personally I haven't found a car as fun as my 3 to drive the twisty canyons with, but your mileage may vary.

Plus you have to remember, guys like Chris Harris drive 6 figure cars all the time and yeah sure, someone that can drive a Mclaren regularly may not find a Model 3 impressive. And quite frankly it behooves these Youtubers and car enthusiasts to put down cheaper cars that can outperform expensive ones. Think about it, the whole point of their videos is to show off cars that you and me may never afford but can watch their videos to live vicariously through them, it's how they earn their living. But if I can get a car for a fraction of the price that outperforms the pricey stuff they show and is more fun to boot, then why would I care what they say or drive? But that's another discussion I guess...

IMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173730 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173730 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-need-a-weekend-fun-car?tu=reality_studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.