(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg
There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 24.
#1151 5 months ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Just picked up a Freddy, that has some odd issues. One is all flashers do not work, previous owner had mix of LEDs and incandescent, not sure if that would be a cause. Also the right flippers only work sometimes during games, but both coil and flipper switch register fine in test. Anyone have any insight, while I wait for the manual to arrive.

Lamps on System 3 games are polarized. If an LED doesn’t work, it’s often because the lugs were soldered in backwards. So check the suspect sockets with an incandescent. If it works, either the LED is bad, or you need to reverse the lugs (de-solder, flip and resolder).

Flippers are operated mechanically. No CPU control like fliptronics. The switch test will only tell the CPU of a switch closure for things like lane change and putting in initials. Diagnose non-working flippers as you would any other game: check for loose wires at lugs, and check the flipper relay contacts in the bottom of the cabinet.

#1152 5 months ago

I'm having a heck of a time getting my catapult ramp switch dialed in. I'm assuming the ramp is supposed to sit directly over the kick out hole when stopped?

Anyone take a picture so I can see what it's supposed to look like or maybe provide some tips for how it should be adjusted? The switch arm was broken when I got my game so I don't have a reference how it should be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 week later
#1153 5 months ago

I'm having issues with Cue Ball Wizard. Two of the three kickout holes (corner pocket and top left) don't seem to be registering. They both kickout when the game resets so the solenoids are working so it must be the switches. I notice this game has switches that use little white boxes like MAME machines. What is the most likely culprit on a system 3 as I don't have much experience with them. Would this be a switch replacement (white box) or a board issue? Thank you

#1154 5 months ago

They’re microswitches. I’m not sure what the best substitute would be because the actual part number appears to be out of stock from PBR and Marco.

Part# 27667A

IMG_3612.jpegIMG_3612.jpeg
#1155 5 months ago

I was wondering if someone can send me the rubber ring chart for Hoops? Thanks

#1156 5 months ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

I was wondering if someone can send me the rubber ring chart for Hoops? Thanks

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1157 5 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

[quoted image]

Thank you very much!

#1158 5 months ago

One thing to keep in mind: if you're doing silicone rubber, the post sleeve part number wont work. You'll need to use 7/8 post sleeves as opposed to the standard post sleeve.

I have a kit here. https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/1989

#1159 5 months ago

Is there anybody with a Sys3 parts catalog who would be able to confirm the part number for the trough track/guide on a system 3 game? I"ve got a bad divot in mine and would like to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

#1160 5 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Is there anybody with a Sys3 parts catalog who would be able to confirm the part number for the trough track/guide on a system 3 game? I"ve got a bad divot in mine and would like to replace it.
Thanks in advance.

I have a '95 parts catalog, not sure what part you mean.

#1161 5 months ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/18356

Is this a Sys3 or a Sys80 ball guide in the trough.

Edit: Found it. it is.

Thanks

1 week later
#1162 4 months ago

Hey guys, running into a really frustrating issue.

F6 (switch/lamp matrix) keeps blowing on my Shaq Attaq, but it’s not the driver board or CPU, and it’s not on the playfield.

When the driver board is unhooked, the fuse won’t blow. But when I plug in any of the spare driver boards I have, F6 blows. I swapped the CPU, F6 blows. Tried both new driver and new CPU, still blows.

I am at a loss here. How should I proceed, where might this fault be? It was suggested that maybe a bridge rectifier is bad, or something on the power supply.

#1163 4 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hey guys, running into a really frustrating issue.
F6 (switch/lamp matrix) keeps blowing on my Shaq Attaq, but it’s not the driver board or CPU, and it’s not on the playfield.
When the driver board is unhooked, the fuse won’t blow. But when I plug in any of the spare driver boards I have, F6 blows. I swapped the CPU, F6 blows. Tried both new driver and new CPU, still blows.
I am at a loss here. How should I proceed, where might this fault be? It was suggested that maybe a bridge rectifier is bad, or something on the power supply.

Maybe some insight can be gained from my adventure:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes

#1164 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Maybe some insight can be gained from my adventure:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes

I’ll take a look. This has been frustrating. The game was at an event and did great. I brought it back and it immediately blew the fuse. Found that an IC on the driver was cracked. Just got it replaced and socketed and now the fuse is still blowing.

I manually checked every switch and lamp and there are no shorts. No idea what would be blowing F6.
When the Driver was replaced, it blew. When the CPU was replaced, it blew.

It could be on the playfield, but I’m not seeing any issues. Should I also try unplugging every smart switch? Could that really blow the 10a slow blow fuse?

#1165 4 months ago

Posted this a couple of weeks ago in The Gladiators club, but this might be a more generic Sys 3 problem.

My game suffered from missing DMD animations (blank screen) during specific states, ranging from being in some modes to triggering only on one of the four options being selected in the main menu (cycling would lead to image, image, blank, image etc.) At that time the game also suffered from false-positive ball-through opto hits, with the game thinking that the ball was not in play, while it was.

I saw somewhere that a factory reset solved random issues, and what are the odds, a factory reset solved every issue. However, after a couple of plays the DMD issues start re-appearing. So animations are visible for a while, while at a later point the state led to a blank screen. Repeating the factory reset fixes it temporarily.

Any idea what could be the cause?

I still need to replace my battery

1 week later
#1166 4 months ago

Hello,

I just bought my first Gottlieb (Gladiators).

It looks amazing and works 100% for what I can tell.

I just found out it will be a bit hard to find a manual.

Anyone knows about one in Europe or if it's possible to get a digital version?

Also which pinbsll suppliers have the most stock for Gottliebs of this era?

Thanks a lot!
Andrej

20231214_195340 (resized).jpg20231214_195340 (resized).jpg20231214_195403 (resized).jpg20231214_195403 (resized).jpg20231214_195407 (resized).jpg20231214_195407 (resized).jpg20231214_195624 (resized).jpg20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
#1167 4 months ago
Quoted from ChapDDR:

Posted this a couple of weeks ago in The Gladiators club, but this might be a more generic Sys 3 problem.
My game suffered from missing DMD animations (blank screen) during specific states, ranging from being in some modes to triggering only on one of the four options being selected in the main menu (cycling would lead to image, image, blank, image etc.) At that time the game also suffered from false-positive ball-through opto hits, with the game thinking that the ball was not in play, while it was.
I saw somewhere that a factory reset solved random issues, and what are the odds, a factory reset solved every issue. However, after a couple of plays the DMD issues start re-appearing. So animations are visible for a while, while at a later point the state led to a blank screen. Repeating the factory reset fixes it temporarily.
Any idea what could be the cause?
I still need to replace my battery

Probably the RAM having issues stemming from bad batteries or failing batteries or corrosion.

Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Hello,
Thanks a lot!
Andrej
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Pinball Resource in a Poughkeepsie near me. He is the only licensed Gottlieb guy

#1168 4 months ago

Found that an IC on the driver was cracked. Just got it replaced and socketed and now the fuse is still blowing.

Which IC? The schematic should show what section the IC is in.

#1169 4 months ago

I’ll take a look. This has been frustrating. The game was at an event and did great. I brought it back and it immediately blew the fuse. Found that an IC on the driver was cracked. Just got it replaced and socketed and now the fuse is still blowing.
I manually checked every switch and lamp and there are no shorts. No idea what would be blowing F6.
When the Driver was replaced, it blew. When the CPU was replaced, it blew.
It could be on the playfield, but I’m not seeing any issues. Should I also try unplugging every smart switch? Could that really blow the 10a slow blow fuse?

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Which IC? The schematic should show what section the IC is in.

Turns out the bridge rectifier was shorted internally. We will see if this replacement fixes the issue

#1170 4 months ago
Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Hello,
Thanks a lot!
Andrej
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check out Pinball Resource.

#1171 4 months ago

Trying to figure out why my Cue Ball Wizard backbox GI lamps are out (but flashers still work). I've checked the fuse obviously. It's good. I've got continuity throughout. Checked the relays, they seem fine. I just have NO voltage at the GI connections in the backbox. Playfield and coin door are both working. It was working prior my shopping the game out (which necessitated removing the whole transformer panel to replace one of the screw-in fuse holders).

Again there's continuity from the fuse to the backbox, from the relay to the backbox, etc. I'd read about faulty sockets on here but I'm not even getting power to them. Where could it be dropping?

Added 123 days ago:

Got this sorted out. Ended up being a cold solder joint on the A-relay!

1 week later
#1172 3 months ago

Hello,

I would like to ask for some help/pointers for my Gladiators.

When i bought it on the right bottom flipper the capacitor was disconnected. The flipper was a bit weak so i just re-soldered it back. Then in a couple of games the coil overheated and the fuse blew.

Since then i changed the coil since it deformed and disconnected the capacitor again. I also discovered that the coil installed was the same as the left flipper A-25959 Red, but not the one that was supposed to be installed A-29876 Orange. Also the capacitor was 0,47 uF instead of the 2,2 uF.

The flipper now works fine (still weak because in only had a red spare coil), but since this is my first Gottlieb I work on, I'm not really sure what is the most probable reason and if trying to connect the right capacitor would be a good idea. Will a Gottlieb flipper fail without a functioning EOS, or is it like a Williams Bally?

Any advice would be incredibly welcome.

Kind regards
Andrej

1 week later
#1173 3 months ago

Can't find anything in my manuals. Can anyone tell me how to clear credits on a System 3?

#1174 3 months ago

Start a 4 player game. Slam tilt. Start a 4 player game. Slam tilt. Ect.

#1175 3 months ago

Can anyone send me a pic of the gopher motor area. Mine is stripped and want to order all the parts needed.

#1176 3 months ago
Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Will a Gottlieb flipper fail without a functioning EOS, or is it like a Williams Bally?
Any advice would be incredibly welcome.
Kind regards
Andrej

Yes. It will melt that sucker in short order, happened on my Shaq Attaq, on location the EOS high-current (NOT HIGH VOLTAGE, thanks Steve at PBR!) broke off and the flipper melted. Fix it the right way before trying to use the game or you’ll destroy more coils which gets pricy

1 week later
#1177 3 months ago

Any idea what a NOS Hoops playfield is going for now a days?

#1178 3 months ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

No idea. But that's near unobtanium. My PF on Hoops is great. But I would guess to someone that would be worth $500-600, maybe more.

#1179 3 months ago

I mean, I cannot even find slingshot plastics!

#1180 3 months ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

I think PBR had one a few years back when they were unloading the archival proof playfields. If so, it was sold for $600.

#1181 3 months ago

I’m shopping out an Operation Thunder and the outhole will not work during gameplay but works fine during solenoid test. Any idea of things I should check?

#1182 3 months ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

I’m shopping out an Operation Thunder and the outhole will not work during gameplay but works fine during solenoid test. Any idea of things I should check?

Sounds like the switch is not working properly. Verify it's operation, adjust it first

#1183 3 months ago

I used my fiberglass eraser to clean the switches, but it didn't help. Turns out the game was missing a ball...

2 weeks later
#1184 71 days ago

So, rookie mistake. During a flipper rebuild on Hoops, I hooked the wires up wrong. Fuse F8 blew and the game turned off. I now have no power at all when I flip the power switch. I checked all fuses and all are good. I swapped in a different (known working) power supply and nothing. I plugged the game into another outlet, still nothing. I did not notice any burned components on the boards (Im not an expert so could of easily missed something.) Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

#1185 71 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

So, rookie mistake. During a flipper rebuild on Hoops, I hooked the wires up wrong. Fuse F8 blew and the game turned off. I now have no power at all when I flip the power switch. I checked all fuses and all are good. I swapped in a different (known working) power supply and nothing. I plugged the game into another outlet, still nothing. I did not notice any burned components on the boards (Im not an expert so could of easily missed something.) Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Check the fuses in the AC power box.

#1186 71 days ago

Check the fuses in the AC power box.

Are you referring to the transformer panel? I checked F2 - F11 and all are good.

#1187 71 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Are you referring to the transformer panel? I checked F2 - F11 and all are good.

If you have no lights, no power, I would start at the power cord and work my way up to the fuse block and then the backbox.

Checking voltage each step.

Im certain than you blew up transistors by hooking up flippers wrong, but it should not kill power the the entire game.

Unless you killed the driver board, and then the power board?

Try reseating connectors on the driver board, or all the connectors especially the grounds.

#1188 71 days ago

If you have no lights, no power, I would start at the power cord and work my way up to the fuse block and then the backbox.
Im certain than you blew up transistors by hooking up flippers wrong, but it should not kill power the the entire game.
Try reseating connectors on the driver board, or all the connectors especially the grounds.

Will do! Thank you!

#1189 71 days ago

Got it! Thank you! Totally forgot out the fuse where the power cord comes in. Had to put a new diode on the flipper coil as well. But all working now. Thanks again!

2 months later
#1190 6 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Given the time frame on your profile of when you acquired this game, and the fact that you’re asking about a NOS playfield, It leaves me wondering if this was in fact my old game that had an NOS playfield with it (that I acquired from Steve Young) that was falsely taken from me.
My total apologies if not, but if that game came out of Connecticut, it was done so under fraudulent terms, making the seller of it a total pos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (OBO)
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.