(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1034 1 year ago

Im having a troublesome issue with my Stargate.

My game:

The good:

Tournament mode works well, and the game is set on free play.

Mostly all LED lights.
New shooter lane switch, sarcophagus switch, outhole switch, trough switch.
A "light" spring was added to the trough gate to keep balls from bouncing back and triggering false ball counts.

New outhole coil and ball release coil.

New cabinet flipper switches.

Flippers completely rebuilt with complete kits from PBR.

Optos checked and cleaned

Drop target assemblies cleaned and inspected.

Kicker targets cleaned and rebuilt.

All connectors in the game have been reseated, all chips reseated, V4 game ROM and V3 DISPROM installed.

ColorDMD installed with German repro "clear" speaker panel plastic.

Sound is crisp and minimal hum from the cab speaker.

The game plays fast and powerfully and is a "joy" to play!

All switch test and lamp tests are perfect.

The bad:

Problem #1:

During extended gameplay, during multiball, the game loses track of the ball count.

The multiball modes end early, with as many as 3 balls still in play.

The flippers die and the balls drain out.

The it sets up ready for the next ball.

This doesnt happen in all games, and it happens on random mutliballs, sometimes twice in the same game.

It is mostly apparent in a Ra's bracelet mode when all 4 balls are in play, drain one ball and the mode ends draining the other 3.

Again its random and can happen in the glidercraft multiball but only have 2 balls during the mode but when 1 drains the flippers die and the mode ends.

This never happens in a short game, but always happens in a long "great" game.

This happens with the original trough switch as well as the new one recently installed.

It does not seem to be a TILT or a SLAM as there is no indication on the screen.

Problem #2 (could be related to problem #1)

If I take out all 4 balls and replace them "one by one", the outhole solenoid hesitates for up to 3 seconds to fire on the first ball but seems fairly instant on the last 3.

The outhole coil is plenty strong (and its the correct coil and resistance is perfect on it). but it isnt strong enough to clear 2 balls in the lower side of the trough.

It seems that the outhole kicker might also die when the flippers die?

This is somewhat of a problem as, when the mode ends early and flippers die, sometimes 2 balls can get trapped in the lower part of the trough and then the game is unplayable until I remove the glass and manually help one of the balls over the top to the higher side.

Wall voltage is a fairly continuous 117v to 121v.

I havent done any "ground" mods.

I have gad the game for a few months and this behavior is recent.

Any insight to this would be helpful

I started a thread here"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes

#1037 1 year ago
Quoted from latenite04:

I don't know where you get aux boards

Ebay most likely.

Lots of brand new boards are on sale there.

1 week later
#1046 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

This is one of the reasons I replace that trim pot with the sealed multiturn precision versions. That doesn't happen.

I just replaced my power supply board with the Boston Pinball one. Its not expensive and solves so many issues.

No trim pot, no more problems. I flicked 2 of the dip switches and have STABLE 5.1v always.

Im very happy with it.

#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Mario Andretti owners please help - I am trying to find the part number or other help finding a one-way ball gate wireform that sits under the VUK mechanism metal guide. It keeps the ball from returning to the main playfield area and causes it to bounce in to the VUK. It's an unusual shape I believe due to an offset on the right hand side of the return path. Standard Williams/Midway stuff doesnt work. And no, the manual does not show the part number. Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Just bend a new one out of piano wire. Use any reference photo off of Marco's website as a guide.

You can get 1/16" piano wire from a hobby shop/store. Sometimes at Ace hardware/Lowes or Home Depot:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/metal-sheets-and-rods/steel-rods/5203823?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JacBhC0ARIsAIxybyPHDx5jbS3Z30Lacti3rbDocjTF63bsuWtRIYqwojaDy5dvyOxv5-IaAvc-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It should drag just below the centerline of the ball.

To keep it in place, just smash the loose end in a vice or hammer it flat.
In a pinch just bend a large paper clip for testing the size.

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I'm sure it is a fine board but the sealed Multiturn precision 500ohm replacement seems to take care of the issue. Plus it is cheap compared to a new board.
Once set they stay stable and the vibration doesn't affect it. Upgraded all of my Gottlieb games with them.

I think that if I had more than just my Stargate, I would just put in the multiturn resistors.

Its an honest straight forward repair/upgrade.

At the same time, I have no problem refreshing my 30 year old boards with newer, more robust ones for future proofing.

I was quite surprised as to how much less expensive the Gottieb parts are compared to Williams.

For $400 I replaced the MPU, Driver and power supply boards.

Chris Hibler charged $335 to bullet-proof a complete set of Williams boards that were basket case.

They looked brand new, he does AMAZING work and they are PERFECT.

This my first Gottlieb game and Im having a blast working on it.

#1054 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Friend has a question on Freddy. Is ball save adjustable? He says ball save lasts a long time on his.

It is, but the min game time should be turned to zero.

3 weeks later
#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Sorry another silly question for LCA. The flashers are 67. Can I use the existing Comet 89 or 906 LEDs or will this mess up anything?
I know I can simply add a few LEDs to check in general, but game is apart and waiting for parts. I assume all my existing Comet LEDs (47, 555) I already recently bought from Comet should work in a system 3 with no wiring changes?

I put in all 5 smd tower flashers (#906 replacements) from comet, on my stargate, for my #67 bulbs and they work great!

I also put in all 2 smd frosted sunlight for all the other bulbs and they also look great with no ghosting.

#1069 1 year ago

Im having trouble adjusting the center trough switch on my Stargate.

It keeps getting false closures as balls bouncing around and over it.

This is a problem as muliballs end early and the flippers die with 2 balls still in play.

Im curious what other people have done to dial in the settings on this switch.

I have it bent pretty high and the front edge bent straight down, so that balls that bounce back hit it without triggering it.

Its not perfect and still some modes continuously end early.

The game is not very playable at this time.

Any help or pictures would be really helpful.

I started a thread about the extreme measures I have done to reolve this issue:

1 month later
#1079 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Just picked up Cue Ball Wizard serial number 97007 and someone stamped it 3 times and corrected it with a sharpie as it was stamped 97006. All of this in the cash box area.
I’ve never cared to take note of SN but noticed on ipsndb that 97— is as low as it goes.
Anything I should look for in terms of it being an early game?
[quoted image]

If the first 2 were wrong, maybe try a 3rd? Lol

2 weeks later
#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Gottlieb's ground via the wire harness. If the pins are good, your ground is likely good. No harm in doing the grounding mods, but your problem is likely a power supply problem. 5v power needs to be about 5.1v or things start getting funny. I bet your game is low on power. There is a pot that is adjustable on the 5v power supply. You might be able to adjust the power to where it needs to be from the pot. If not, replace the pot. They are known to fail. Heck, the power supply itself is cheap. They're lots of good options available.

I replaced my power supply board with the Boston Pinball one.

They are very inexpensive.

It works perfectly, and MUCH better than the original.

#1087 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Thank you for the advice. I'll proceed and retort back soon!

If you get the Boston Pinball one, It starts out about 4.92v.

You have to measure the voltage at the CPU board and get the voltage to about 5.2v by flipping the dip switches.

Too high a voltage will stress the logic chips and cause them to wear out.

Too high a voltage is 5.5 to 6v.

You definitely want to stay below 5.3v for safety and longevity.

The Boston Pinball board is super accurate and I never saw it waver from the voltage I selected.

The dip switches are GENIOUS! Perfect voltage ALWAYS.

2 weeks later
#1096 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Alright Sys3 Geeks, I'm having what I suspect is a trough issue.
What, on a Sys3 (Silver Slugger specifically) would make the trough kick out two balls?
Here is the situation, most balls, the game will kick out the first ball, and then the relays will fire again and it will kick out another ball. In my mind there are three switches to suspect.
1.) the trough switch
2.) the 3rd position trough switch
3.) the shooter lane switch
All switches have been adjusted to work properly (in theory). I cannot recreate this issue by holding down any of the suspect switches (so we can, in theory, rule out stuck switches). I cannot for the life of me, figure out what would make something like this happen, so frequently but also inconsistently. Maybe the microswitches themselves need to be replaced but that doesn't seem like the right path to go down.
Thoughts?

Quoted from sullivcd40:

On the Stargate thread we have seen shooter and outlane leaf switches go bad and cause really weird issues. pinballinreno has an incredible thread detailing his troubleshooting what eventually was found to be a bad smart switch. I would try a new shooter lane switch first assuming it is a leaf switch like in Stargate.

I would just replace the shooter lane switch and any of the leaf switches if they are 30 years old.
It may be the problem.

Or it could be a bad smart switch.

Bad smart switches cause logic errors, confuse the CPU board and lead to HAVOC.

They can mimic bad switches, driver boards, grounding problems and pretty much everything.

I have a whole write up on why this happens. Its pretty interesting (at leat to me, lol).

They can really drive you crazy!

Before now they were really hard to dignose without an o-scope.

I have devised a simple way to test them and find the bad ones:

Unplug all of them. Run through all the modes in the game manually.

If the problem persists, its one of the trough switches (or the shooter lane switch), likely the center one that keeps track of the balls, if you have already replaced the lane leaf swiches.
Sometimes the trough switch actuators just need to be bent upwards as an adjustment.

If the problem goes away:

Plug the smart switches in 2 at a time, manually run thru the modes again and again, until the bad behavior comes back.

Resolve which of the 2 are causing the trouble.

You would think that I would recommend plugging them in one at a time!

But no, its really time consuming to run through the modes for every single smart switch.

Doing them 2 at a time cuts the process in half.

#1101 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Sorry folks, no smart switches on this game.

That may be a plus!

Or the stationary targets were replaced with leaf switches?

Who knows, there were a couple versions of this game from 1990.

1 week later
#1111 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lights camera action.
The speech and sounds are plenty loud, but the background music gets softer and softer the more u play. Any ideas?

Sounds like a capacitor failing.

#1113 1 year ago

I would recap the sound board.

It can only help

1 month later
#1127 11 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I checked for cracked solder joints. No luck there. I'll test the transistors and see what readings I get. Didn't think to check the connector housing, are the crimps known to be problematic?

The crimps were weak all over my Stargate.

1 month later
#1134 9 months ago
Quoted from frisbez:

The way the lamp matrix works some of the sockets will need their wire wire leads swapped to work with an LED, but you won't know until you try. The ground and power are reversed and it is a simple, but tedious solution to simply swap the wires. Newer LEDs might be able to handle the reversed polarity but I'm not sure.

The newer Comet LED's are non-polarized. You can put then either direction.

The 5smd tower flashers (12v) are not. Just turn them around if they dont light up.

4 months later
#1163 4 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hey guys, running into a really frustrating issue.
F6 (switch/lamp matrix) keeps blowing on my Shaq Attaq, but it’s not the driver board or CPU, and it’s not on the playfield.
When the driver board is unhooked, the fuse won’t blow. But when I plug in any of the spare driver boards I have, F6 blows. I swapped the CPU, F6 blows. Tried both new driver and new CPU, still blows.
I am at a loss here. How should I proceed, where might this fault be? It was suggested that maybe a bridge rectifier is bad, or something on the power supply.

Maybe some insight can be gained from my adventure:

2 months later
#1185 67 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

So, rookie mistake. During a flipper rebuild on Hoops, I hooked the wires up wrong. Fuse F8 blew and the game turned off. I now have no power at all when I flip the power switch. I checked all fuses and all are good. I swapped in a different (known working) power supply and nothing. I plugged the game into another outlet, still nothing. I did not notice any burned components on the boards (Im not an expert so could of easily missed something.) Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Check the fuses in the AC power box.

#1187 67 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Are you referring to the transformer panel? I checked F2 - F11 and all are good.

If you have no lights, no power, I would start at the power cord and work my way up to the fuse block and then the backbox.

Checking voltage each step.

Im certain than you blew up transistors by hooking up flippers wrong, but it should not kill power the the entire game.

Unless you killed the driver board, and then the power board?

Try reseating connectors on the driver board, or all the connectors especially the grounds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.