(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#776 3 years ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Greetings Everyone,
This is Rob from Pinshakers and I have some good news for you. We are getting ready to release the next version of our shaker kits and they will be compatible with most of the Gottlieb System 3 lineup! Beta testing was completed on a Stargate and the results are amazing.
An official announcement will go out as soon as the kits are released. In the meantime we need your help. Since the manuals for Gottlieb are unavailable for download, we have no idea what the trigger names are for each machine title. If you happen to have a manual for one of the machines in this line-up, could you please PM or email us the solenoid list. It should be located on the page for "Vll Parts Information" in a small section called "Solenoid, Driver Functions/Locations". That lists all of the solenoids/flashlamps and their names. Our email address is [email protected] in case you are unable to PM images on pinside.
Please do not post any images of the manual here in the forum. They are copyrighted material and we want to respect that. We will not post or distribute the images you send us and they will be deleted once we get the information we need in order to complete the user manuals for the shaker kits.
Here is a list of all the machines that will be compatible with our shaker kits upon release:
Barb Wire
Cactus Jack's
Car Hop
Class of 1812
Cue Ball Wizard
Deadly Weapon
Frank Thomas' Big Hurt™
Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street
Gladiators
Hoops
Lights...Camera...Action!
Mario Andretti
Operation: Thunder
Rescue 911
Shaq Attaq
Silver Slugger
Stargate
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Bros.
Surf 'n Safari
Tee'd Off
Title Fight
Vegas
Waterworld
Wipe Out
World Challenge Soccer
Thank you so much for your assistance, we can't wait to get these kits out to you guys!
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

Caribbean Cruise is a SYS3 as well!

Guys, what’s a SYS3 foreign coin door worth? I’ve got one and have no use for it. Should I just throw it on Fleecebay?

#777 3 years ago
Quoted from finalquest:

Hi guys.
I'm trying to put an operation thunder back to life.
It was used as spare for other pinballs. I have all the boards, all the playfield parts.
But, no wire harness from transformer panel to playboard. No backbox.
It came with a transformer/power supply and the matching wire harness, that didn't match the schematic for operation thunder. So I suspect back then that was a replacement from a donor machine.
I manage to put back all the boards, and I got all bootup and with some sound.
When I try to reconnect the display I realised that the transformer was indeed from another machine, but sadly from a System3 with a DMD display. So I dont have the 36V and the 9V for the alphanumeric display.
I'm having a hard time getting a transformer with the correct output.
Is it possible to rewire a System3 power supply/transformer in a way that allows me to connect the alphanumeric display?.
Maybe someone has an idea and can point me with some resources.
Regards

I have a spare transformer from a Night Moves Sys80b will that work?

7 months later
#874 3 years ago

Hey guys. I put my Nudge-It out on location and immediately it’s giving me issues.
Never had a problem sitting in the shop. Left it on for hours and hours! Now it says “remove JP2 + add JP1” never see this before. It’s not in attract mode or anything. It is just stuck. Whenever you turn it off and turn it back on it adds a credit?
Any suggestions for this weird behavior?

#877 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hey guys. I put my Nudge-It out on location and immediately it’s giving me issues.
Never had a problem sitting in the shop. Left it on for hours and hours! Now it says “remove JP2 + add JP1” never see this before. It’s not in attract mode or anything. It is just stuck. Whenever you turn it off and turn it back on it adds a credit?
Any suggestions for this weird behavior?

I meant to edit this not long after I posted, figured it out.
Absolutely unbelievable and aggravating.
The big issue causing the game to totally brick?
Coins jammed the credit switch in the actuated position so it was stuck “on” and the game just absolutely freaked out and couldn’t handle that...

7 months later
#899 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

RESOLVED. Needs 2 balls in the machine to start. Nowhere in the manual or on the machine does it say that!

Classic! Been there, multiball should have been the hint, but Gottlieb also doesn’t tell you ANYTHING.
Enjoy. CC is a fantastic cocktail. I have a NOS playfield for when I finally find one!

Always looking for a Night Moves playfield, if anyone has one!

#901 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Ahem!
[quoted image]

The instruction manual is the first thing a seasoned operator throws out! Duh!

Lights turn on? Good enough to earn money!

6 months later
#938 1 year ago

Just picked up a Shaq Attaq and the display shows garbage. Someone swapped in a Data East DMD, which I didn’t know was even possible?!

It has some sort of acid damage to it. Can this be repaired or is this DMD toast?

Also looking for a ramp for Shaq Attaq as this one is missing

93DB9157-14BE-4261-9873-113F080BE924.jpeg93DB9157-14BE-4261-9873-113F080BE924.jpegD4A5619A-8DC2-477C-A2F5-1E7FCEA41329.jpegD4A5619A-8DC2-477C-A2F5-1E7FCEA41329.jpeg
#941 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

the display itself is the same regardless of manufacturer. There's corrosion on the display? That's weird. Probably not worth repairing though, just get another cheap dmd

Quoted from barakandl:

Some of those traces look like they could be severed.
I would knock off some of the corrosion with a wire brush to see where you are and then make a choice if you want to start patching traces or not. It is probably not worth the effort if a bunch have corroded open.
Your non booting game is probably not connected to the battery damage on the display board.

The game is booting and playing, it has all the callouts and starts up just fine. The display shows weird images, it looks like it’s outgassing but then I saw the corrosion. Not sure how it happened, but since it’s a Data East maybe it was parted from a game that had an acid damaged MPU in a pinch and someone never cleaned the lingering corrosion.

Since it’s mostly working I’d like to attempt saving it. Best way to test these traces for someone who never done work like this?

1 month later
#964 1 year ago

Scored the ramp, now I just need the VUK that goes over the ramp!
Help me put this Shaq Attaq back in action, shattering backboards!

SOLD!
Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for the VUK Wireform from Shaq that goes across the ramp. Any condition, if I have to patch it, I will.”
2022-06-21
Saratoga Springs, NY
Wanted
Archived after: 129 days
Viewed: 277 times

2 months later
#1001 1 year ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Never thought I would, but I guess I'm joining the club. Bought a car hop on an online auction, not a game I'm looking for but the price was right and I need a project. The boards and the playfield seem to be in decent shape, but the cabinet is ROUGH. Bottom of the cabinet is very moldy, so I'm going to have some work to do there.
Never been a huge fan of Gottlieb, some of their games are fun but I don't much care for their mechs and stuff like that. Who knows maybe I'll learn to love it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is a really good game, you’ll enjoy it!
Neat that it comes with the operator stickers so you know where it’s been!

Does anyone know how to add SERVICE CREDITS to sys3 games? There is an audit function, yet the manual doesn’t explain how to add them. Same with Sys80s

1 week later
#1003 1 year ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

Anyone have any experience with dialing in a vari-target on a System 3? I just got an Operation Thunder a little while ago, and while it's a fun game I'm having trouble getting the vari on the right side to work completely properly. I was playing with the spring tension and I could make it one of either two ways: loose enough that the coil/mech that releases the 'teeth' but not tight enough to return the target to it's resting position, or vice versa - there was enough tension to return the target to rest, but it was too much for the coil/mech to release it's grip on the tooth, so the target just stays stuck. This is super annoying since hitting that target is necessary to progress through the modes. What am I doing wrong?

You have to consider the position you’re working in.
Steve at PBR was telling me that while the playfield is lifted, the vari-target should NOT be able to return to it’s home position, that would make it too tight. You have to keep lowering the playfield to see if you have it dialed in right. It is A LOT weaker than you’d expect! Loosen it so that when it’s tripped, it barely moves while the playfield is up. Then set it down, and see how it works.

2 weeks later
#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I've worked on a lot of the Williams, Bally, and Stern but Gottlieb definitely has some advantages. They fused just about everything on these System 3 games. Also the bottom of the playfield is usually well marked and at least on Stargate they added extra connectors so the drop target assembly can easily be removed to service it. Having the lamp boards which easily remove by pulling a couple clips make replacing those bulbs easy.
On these and the System 80 games I've beeb replacing the 500 ohm pot on the power board with the sealed multiturn precision version which seems a lot better than the originals.

Which are you using? I hope someone buys GPE, lotta stuff I need to get!

2 months later
#1052 1 year ago

I’ve finally got my Shaq running in location. What an awesome game!

The code is ridiculously deep for a late 90s Gottlieb! It’s a ton of fun.

Only issue is the game is a reimport, and the operator had left the ball lock “ball gate” plunger unhooked and removed the spring so it would always be down. When I was working on it a buddy was with me, we resoldered the coil and it immediately smoked that whole circuit. I replaced the transistor, the resistor, the coil, and fuse, yet it still doesn’t work at all. The transistor pads were pretty toasty, but it tests fine with my meter. Not sure what else could be the issue?
Maybe my brand new coil is bad?

Struggling with this one, any help appreciated.

How many of you have the optional communication adapter installed in your System 3 machine? They seem to be more popular in machines that were re-imports since I think the accounting was more strict overseas.
I pulled one out of a re-import that had a rusty DB-9 connector. Instead of fixing that I removed that connector and reworked the board to add a Bluetooth module. Now if I want to see the audits I can just connect my phone to the game. It works surprisingly well. I can leave it paired but as soon as I connect if the game isn't in a game it will generate the basic audits and send them to my phone then I disconnect. All without opening the coin door. If I want the full audits then I need to open the coin door and navigate to the audits and tell it to print the full audit when I connect the phone. I always disconnect after otherwise the game complains about removing the printer.
When I get a chance I plan on writing up the mod. I only have the one System 3 game but if I had others I would rename each Bluetooth adapter then it would be easy to connect to one at a time to pull audits.

That’s awesome. Definitely interested.

Have a link to the precision potentiometer?

2 months later
#1072 1 year ago

Quick tech question, if you ground the tab on one of the transistors and the coil actually functions, does that mean that there could still be a break in the traces, or does that rule it out?

The coil functions when grounded, but in test mode and in game I cannot get it to fire. It is Solenoid 6 on Shaq Attaq. It uses an opto to activate it. The opto works just fine.

Some background, this is a German reimport, and the coil was fried. It seems to be a somewhat common issue on Shaq Attaq. The transistor was burnt to a crisp, really bad damage on the board. I fixed it, crudely. Trying to figure out if the traces were destroyed when it burnt up long ago, or if perhaps there is some disconnect between the switch matrix/MPU and the driver board? I’ve been staring at this problem on and off for months; maybe I’m missing the trees for the forest here.

#1074 1 year ago

Maybe it took out and damaged the 74HC273 driving it at U1 or the 2.2K resistor driving that transistor or a trace is open. Will have to check each one against the schematic. I’ve seen people solder in a new transistor but the through hole plating was damaged and it only got soldered on one side leaving an open on the top. In that case the top needs to be soldered manually too.

Swapped in a known working board, and upon testing I found that what I believe is the emitter leg was measuring continuity with the ground tab. That must mean the new transistor is also bad, unless an install error can cause it to read continuity.

Either way, the traces and damage are so bad I’m worried if it can even be replaced without totally ruining it

1 week later
#1078 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Just picked up Cue Ball Wizard serial number 97007 and someone stamped it 3 times and corrected it with a sharpie as it was stamped 97006. All of this in the cash box area.
I’ve never cared to take note of SN but noticed on ipsndb that 97— is as low as it goes.
Anything I should look for in terms of it being an early game?
[quoted image]

I can imagine the stamper screaming “no 7.... seven!... SEVEN DAMMIT!!!”

2 weeks later
#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Working on a Vegas. It boots and plays just fine. If you let the game sit in attract mode it will freeze after a while. Toggling power brings it right back. Whats do you guys reccomend to resolve this? I plan on doing the ground mods from pinwiki soon. What else should I look at?
Thanks for the help.

Had this issue on my Hollywood Heat, sys80b but same thing, it would only lock up after 20 minutes, sometimes an hour!!! 5v was low. The pots get flakey too.

5 months later
#1139 7 months ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Good evening....I want to know what you think of the Gottlieb hoops machine? do you like it? Greetings

Is it a good price? BUY BUY BUY BUY
IT’S A FREAKIN’ HOOPS!
Fantastic game.

2 months later
#1149 5 months ago
Quoted from JarekC:

I bought a Gottlieb Hoops flipper, unfortunately without legs.
I can't find information whether the legs are 27" or 31".
Can anyone measure them in own pinball machine?

27” legs on these ones.

3 weeks later
#1162 4 months ago

Hey guys, running into a really frustrating issue.

F6 (switch/lamp matrix) keeps blowing on my Shaq Attaq, but it’s not the driver board or CPU, and it’s not on the playfield.

When the driver board is unhooked, the fuse won’t blow. But when I plug in any of the spare driver boards I have, F6 blows. I swapped the CPU, F6 blows. Tried both new driver and new CPU, still blows.

I am at a loss here. How should I proceed, where might this fault be? It was suggested that maybe a bridge rectifier is bad, or something on the power supply.

#1164 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Maybe some insight can be gained from my adventure:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes

I’ll take a look. This has been frustrating. The game was at an event and did great. I brought it back and it immediately blew the fuse. Found that an IC on the driver was cracked. Just got it replaced and socketed and now the fuse is still blowing.

I manually checked every switch and lamp and there are no shorts. No idea what would be blowing F6.
When the Driver was replaced, it blew. When the CPU was replaced, it blew.

It could be on the playfield, but I’m not seeing any issues. Should I also try unplugging every smart switch? Could that really blow the 10a slow blow fuse?

1 week later
#1167 4 months ago
Quoted from ChapDDR:

Posted this a couple of weeks ago in The Gladiators club, but this might be a more generic Sys 3 problem.
My game suffered from missing DMD animations (blank screen) during specific states, ranging from being in some modes to triggering only on one of the four options being selected in the main menu (cycling would lead to image, image, blank, image etc.) At that time the game also suffered from false-positive ball-through opto hits, with the game thinking that the ball was not in play, while it was.
I saw somewhere that a factory reset solved random issues, and what are the odds, a factory reset solved every issue. However, after a couple of plays the DMD issues start re-appearing. So animations are visible for a while, while at a later point the state led to a blank screen. Repeating the factory reset fixes it temporarily.
Any idea what could be the cause?
I still need to replace my battery

Probably the RAM having issues stemming from bad batteries or failing batteries or corrosion.

Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Hello,
I just bought my first Gottlieb (Gladiators).
It looks amazing and works 100% for what I can tell.
I just found out it will be a bit hard to find a manual.
Anyone knows about one in Europe or if it's possible to get a digital version?
Also which pinbsll suppliers have the most stock for Gottliebs of this era?
Thanks a lot!
Andrej
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Pinball Resource in a Poughkeepsie near me. He is the only licensed Gottlieb guy

#1169 4 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’ll take a look. This has been frustrating. The game was at an event and did great. I brought it back and it immediately blew the fuse. Found that an IC on the driver was cracked. Just got it replaced and socketed and now the fuse is still blowing.
I manually checked every switch and lamp and there are no shorts. No idea what would be blowing F6.
When the Driver was replaced, it blew. When the CPU was replaced, it blew.
It could be on the playfield, but I’m not seeing any issues. Should I also try unplugging every smart switch? Could that really blow the 10a slow blow fuse?

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Which IC? The schematic should show what section the IC is in.

Turns out the bridge rectifier was shorted internally. We will see if this replacement fixes the issue

3 weeks later
#1176 3 months ago
Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Will a Gottlieb flipper fail without a functioning EOS, or is it like a Williams Bally?
Any advice would be incredibly welcome.
Kind regards
Andrej

Yes. It will melt that sucker in short order, happened on my Shaq Attaq, on location the EOS high-current (NOT HIGH VOLTAGE, thanks Steve at PBR!) broke off and the flipper melted. Fix it the right way before trying to use the game or you’ll destroy more coils which gets pricy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.