amh.jpg
AMH2.jpg
AMH1.jpg
Playfield_Layout_5.jpg
capa_best_toni.jpg
chuck_norris_approves.gif
mother_of_god.jpg
IMG_20130129_172855.jpg
There are 552 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 10 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

What "is or isn't right" for art...? it's art, and it's all subjective. I totally get what Ben was going for, and it makes total sense for the theme. Having said that... we are looking at options to appease those who want something different. We do listen.
I watched Roger Sharpe laugh so hard at Nordman's speech calls he had a hard time keeping the ball alive. Again... humor is subjective. If you like Medieval or Scared Stiff, you should enjoy what's in this game as it's the same campy guy humor. Yes some of the speech calls are long... It's up to Ben to decide how he wants to present his game... it's up to me to build them as pretty and tough as possible.

You can't compare the cast of Chicago's Second City (including Tina Fey) and Elvira (professional) to the voices in this game...you just can't....audio goes a long way in pinball, and there's a reason MM and SS are so popular - audio is a big chunk of it. Again - bad acting/recording/mixing doesn't = camp.

Quoted from mrgone:

Wtf is wrong with some of you? Really!

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. No one's saying the game is a piece of shit. It's really cool! ....but if some of us have critiques of the art & voices - that's just our way of rooting for it and wanting it to be the best it can be!

#502 10 years ago

We are working on re-doing the backglass and side art. Attached is the direction we're taking the cabinet side art in. Simple, bold, iconographic.

IMG_20131104_234647.jpgIMG_20131104_234647.jpg

The backglass will be the same layout as it is now, but hand drawn. It will probably be re-colored so as to match the rest of the game.

The voice work fits the theme. We have a lot of dialog because we need to set up characters.

As an original theme - something pinball fans claim they clamor for - we need to set up our new characters and situations via dialog. As a ghost hunting reality TV show, the characters sound vain, bored, weird - just like their do in TV.

#503 10 years ago

$6250

#504 10 years ago

I like the redesign much better

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We are working on re-doing the backglass and side art. Attached is the direction we're taking the cabinet side art in. Simple, bold, iconographic.

That looks great Ben. Speaking as a non-customer with no stake in the game, but also someone who got to see and play it at Expo I'd call this a real upgrade. It feels like it matches the playfield better. It also feels more like a commercial machine (bold, easy to spot from across the room, ghost spiral draws in the eye), which isn't a knock at all, because to me that's what makes it feel like "pinball".

Looking forward to the translite reveal, I think the concept was just fine, just the execution could have been better. Hand drawn could be a serious upgrade over a photo.

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

BAZILLION TIMES BETTER!!!!!!!

#507 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BAZILLION TIMES BETTER!!!!!!!

I think it looks great too.

rd.

#508 10 years ago

That looks fantastic. I am looking forward to the video. This could be my next purchase.
Thanks Ben!

#509 10 years ago

Also like the new side art.

#510 10 years ago

Really like the new side art. Nice work listening to fans/consumers and changing your plans. The backglass image hand drawn sounds very cool too.

#511 10 years ago

Looks great Ben, like how the playfield art flows to the cabinet, well done

#512 10 years ago

A designer that listens to the customers. Others should take notice. Looks great Ben!

#513 10 years ago

New art is THE BOMB. Thank you, Ben, for taking the feedback.

As far as the voices go, I will have to let the video speak for itself. I'm unable to play it, so I'm looking forward to seeing it and judging for myself how it all comes together. You are sticking to your guns on it, so I will take that into account and try to evaluate it on your vision.

#514 10 years ago

Can't wait to see video.
Damn it. I may need to buy this one too!

#515 10 years ago

the new side art looks great. I think you captured the true essence of classic pinball side art with it. fwiw, I like the original side art also. with the new art you should sell a ton of them. tell Charlie to put on a pot of coffee. he is going to be putting in some hours.

#516 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can't compare the cast of Chicago's Second City (including Tina Fey) and Elvira (professional) to the voices in this game...you just can't....audio goes a long way in pinball, and there's a reason MM and SS are so popular - audio is a big chunk of it. Again - bad acting/recording/mixing doesn't = camp.

I didn't compare our voice talents to those games... I compared our humor style to those games. Nordman came up with dialogue in SS, we watched him do the same thing in his own voice in Ben's game. Fun and funny stuff, and still can't believe that guy gives us the time of day. Blessed isn't the word for it.

The "bad acting" is by design (and mostly one character). It all makes sense when you hear it in game play. Some of it is overly long, and up to Ben if he wants to change that. I say just don't cut off the speech calls if you want that much dialogue.

Audio balance... yep, that we absolutely need to repair and we will. What you saw at Expo was close to production in the build quality (still polishing small things there as well) but the code was still being written literally in the car there, and at the show. Only so many hours in the day, and Ben chose to focus on rules (all 6 ghost battles, many sub modes, and wizard mode are already in there!) rather than polish all 800 or 900 lines of speech.

Ok... I'm getting back to work on that promo video while Ben continues to work on art. We will make both available to the customer, and let them choose which they prefer.

#517 10 years ago

Nice, I like that side art a lot more.

#518 10 years ago

Audio balance... yep, that we absolutely need to repair and we will.

Well, this alone might make a big difference. Good luck with the polish.

#519 10 years ago

is there any way to confirm what precommitment number we are?

BTW >> I loved the game at expo and am super pumped to see the finished product!

Lighting was fantastic in the game already and what I saw of the ruleset was great!

#520 10 years ago

Can anyone who played at Expo comment on how it "felt", shot wise? I won't be able to learn that from the video.

#521 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, this alone might make a big difference. Good luck with the polish.

Thanks... we'll get there. And I certainly don't mind the critiques... when you take a game that isn't 100% polished to a show you know some will see the work done, and others will see the work left to do. I'm just happy (with a few minor bugs) the game worked for 4 days straight of non stop abuse and play. We unloaded it Monday morning after Expo, and went right back to playing it more.

Ben has to be the first guy in pinball history to do, and count with me... playfield layout... cabinet art... playfield art... backglass art... plastics art... script... dots... programming... board design... engineering... direction... music... hell at one point he was even routing his own playfields!

We've all helped, but the bulk of this game... all Ben Heck. He's got a whole lot to be proud of on this. I'm just glad he sees us fit to mfg the game for him.

Thanks everyone... have a great Tuesday! If you live in Wisconsin... we're just going to have to lean on each other for support and deal with this Aaron Rodgers injury together. I swear it was as if a million football fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

#522 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

is there any way to confirm what precommitment number we are?

Yep... [email protected] She's the gate keeper of the sales list, and she makes great french toast on Sunday mornings.

Frolic... the shots are smooth and awesome! Looove the inner ghost loop especially. The flippers at Expo were a little funky admittedly... I changed to a different switch after the show (was using leaf style like older games) and it has gotten better, and Ben has changed the pulse thingamawhatsit in code, which seems to make all the difference.

Pulse thingamawhatsit is TM of Spooky Pinball LLC and not to be used without permission.

#523 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Can anyone who played at Expo comment on how it "felt", shot wise? I won't be able to learn that from the video.

It feels AMAZING. It felt like a combination of nice flow and shot layout with a good amount of unpredicatibility and some stop and go. The ghost return U loop is great, the hellevator is nice, the outside shots are also good. Hard to really describe but it felt both uniqiue and familiar. Very clean play/feel to the shots where they were all makeable with medium difficulty, which I consider to be perfect.

The code and lighting effects are going to be top notch. I actually like the game call outs and even though they were very hard to hear at expo, what I could hear was very funny. I did not make it to Ken's voice work at expo but hope to get another shot on the more complete game in the near future. Charlie/Ben can I come play some weekend?

#524 10 years ago

This pin does look great and I am REALLY interested in buying this pin. I absolutely love the theme, with the haunted house effects and overall campy feel. This pin reminds me of the game Which Witch, and a little bit of Green Ghost mixed in the batch. Love the right side ramp and the creepy opening doors and secret passages. I'm just waiting on the final price and pre-order instructions. Great job Ben and team!!

#525 10 years ago

Found an artist here in Madison to take a crack at the backglass. Idea is to go hand-drawn, but keep the Ghost Hunters looking realistic to differentiate them from the ghosts. Sample attached.

1) So people just didn't like photos? The backglass being green night vision wasn't the issue? I really thought that would be the controversial part.

2) If we're re-drawing, we're thinking we'll make the people even more stereotyped. The valley girl will have bigger hair, the hero more square jawed, psychic older and more of a crazy cat-lady. Does this sound better than simply re-drawing the photos?

new_pyschic.jpgnew_pyschic.jpg
#526 10 years ago

Audio balance... yep, that we absolutely need to repair and we will. What you saw at Expo was close to production in the build quality (still polishing small things there as well) but the code was still being written literally in the car there, and at the show. Only so many hours in the day, and Ben chose to focus on rules (all 6 ghost battles, many sub modes, and wizard mode are already in there!) rather than polish all 800 or 900 lines of speech.

Cool - I'll hold off further critique until it's complete.

Quoted from benheck:

2) If we're re-drawing, we're thinking we'll make the people even more stereotyped. The valley girl will have bigger hair, the hero more square jawed, psychic older and more of a crazy cat-lady. Does this sound better than simply re-drawing the photos?

Yes! Style & personality on a backglass really sell the tone of the game. Since you're going for funny, make them look funny! I think you can still sell the "reality show" aspect in the art somehow...having a guy with a camera (with a AMH logo on it)....maybe a TV by the title with the "show" depicted on it.

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

1) So people just didn't like photos? The backglass being green night vision wasn't the issue? I really thought that would be the controversial part.

1) yeah, the night vision wasn't the issue. It was the photos. More than anything, they did not mesh with the playfield art (and now the new cabinet art). And the older cabinet art in particular, kind of felt like they were play-acting.

2) Sounds great to me.

#528 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I personally have a really high resistance to photographic images on something like a backglass. It's a real turnoff. The backglass is your chance to really show what you're up to, it sets the tone for the game more than anything else. I get what you were going for, but it just didn't do it for me on a lot of levels. Not least of which is that it just plain didn't fit the playfield and feel of the game. That's why your new cabinet art is so satisfyingly better, it feels like it belongs.

I'm always hesitant to get my creative director hat out too much on people, it's your project and vision, but since you're plainly asking and obviously receptive to feedback here's my thoughts on the green:

I think it's a classic case of allowing a concept to supersede everything. Again, I get it, I understand the night vision part, but you really lose so much dynamic energy by tone washing out the entire image into green like that. I would encourage you to let it go. You could certainly reference it, but open your color palette back up. Let some of the blue and yellow from the cabinet art in. Let things pop. I want to see your backglass from across the room and be drawn over to see what's going on.

You're mocking these reality shows, but something to keep in mind is that your ghosts are real. Maybe there's a sweet spot, where the night vision mode is still kind of there, but the supernatural is superseding it. A swirl of ghosts refuses to be bound by silly camera lens restrictions and is weaving around the protaganists with white and blue and yellow.

Yes! Push them as far towards cartoon and caricature as you can. That fits your theme in a beautiful way, and will ties them to the playfield better too.

My two cents, take it or leave it. Your game is great, all I want is to see it shine.

#529 10 years ago

I love that even though Charlie and Ben have put there whole lives into these things and it's their artistic vision they are still open to changes/criticism. It's a breath of fresh air to other larger companies who will delete your comments on Facebook for making any type of suggestion or ask a question on code timing. Even the smallest hint of criticism will get you an instant ban. These guys on the other hand are doing things the right way.

Originally I was on the list for PZFBTG, which my wife and I love the art for, and didn't even think about America's most Haunted/Ghost squad as an option. After seeing the shot layout and features (especially love the elevator) and possibly better art, I'm officially on the fence for this one too and looking forward to upcoming video and pricing information.

#530 10 years ago

if you are redrawing then i vote more boobs

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

"more boobs" - Dennis Nordman

Fixed that for you.

#532 10 years ago

Bigger boobs

#533 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The backglass is your chance to really show what you're up to, it sets the tone for the game more than anything else.

That's why this ROCKS!

PZFBTG.jpgPZFBTG.jpg
#534 10 years ago

Yeah. let's face it you will sell more games if you can get the backglass to be sexy - look at the Gottleib's of the 1960's!

#535 10 years ago

We have to walk the fine line of "nice boobs" and "wife won't let pin in house"

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We have to walk the fine line of "nice boobs" and "wife won't let pin in house"

Alecia Crowley crossed that line right out of the gate on my game Ben!

#537 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The backglass will be the same layout as it is now, but hand drawn. It will probably be re-colored so as to match the rest of the game.
IMG_20131104_234647.jpg 1 MB

Much better

#538 10 years ago

ben, look at the thumbs up you've gotten for the new cabinet. You'll never be able to please everyone, but that was a good call. I wish you the best with the new translite.

#539 10 years ago

Ben,

Really cool pin. Looking forward to see it and play it somewhere / someday. Wish I could be on the list, but I am already overcommitted... (wondering who would break first: my banker or my wife?).

Exciting times for pinball. Who would have guessed 5 years ago one would have to make choices on which NIB pin to buy?

#540 10 years ago

Perhaps the backglass could also reference the playfield art in some way. The characters already appear on the playfield in sillhouette, I think it would be a good idea to make it clear that these are the same characters. Maybe have them in a similar stance/position, have the spooky buildings in the background or something like that.

#541 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Found an artist here in Madison to take a crack at the backglass. Idea is to go hand-drawn, but keep the Ghost Hunters looking realistic to differentiate them from the ghosts. Sample attached.

Green is a cursed color(for the millionth time) Greyscale may be better

new_pyschic.jpg 86 KB

#542 10 years ago

Having grandkids, I really don't have a boob issue with games like Scared Stiff. But you crossed the line with Alecia's silver dollar nipples with a stack of dimes!!

#543 10 years ago

More boobs the more better, you can always do a "modesty" decal like Elvira had. I think there is a direct correlation between back glass boobs and pin sales.

#544 10 years ago

See, and then there are

Quoted from benheck:We have to walk the fine line of "nice boobs" and "wife won't let pin in house"

See, and then there are the girls like mine who will willingly Dress-up as Alecia to win some awesome stuff! (She is still willing to be the live-action spokes model btw! haha)

#545 10 years ago

Man, I must be the only one that really 'got' the original package. The new art looks good too, but the old was just as good if you take the whole theme into account. Campy cheesy ghost hunters, essentially paranormal activity meets scooby doo. It takes a certain sense of humor to get it I suppose, but it was all there Sometimes we take this stuff so damned serious that we forget to step back and try to see the personality of the creator coming through the product.

#546 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

But you crossed the line with Alecia's silver dollar nipples with a stack of dimes!!

No way that's crossing the line! It's perfect.....

#547 10 years ago
Quoted from skristof:

See, and then there are the girls like mine who will willingly Dress-up as Alecia to win some awesome stuff! (She is still willing to be the live-action spokes model btw! haha

Yep... we strongly suggest you keep that one!

Bryan Kelly will tell you privately he really enjoys those silver dollars and stacks of dimes. When Deb's not listening.

#548 10 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

Man, I must be the only one that really 'got' the original package. The new art looks good too, but the old was just as good if you take the whole theme into account. Campy cheesy ghost hunters, essentially paranormal activity meets scooby doo. It takes a certain sense of humor to get it I suppose, but it was all there

It wasn't hard to "get", it just didn't look good. It happens, you have a concept, but taking it all the way to its logical conclusion doesn't give you the best end result. The good news is Ben is taking the steps needed to fix it, without (as far as I can see) compromising his vision.

That's how the push and pull of boutique projects goes. It's about creator vision, but you're also creating a commercial product too. Can't wait to see the end result now!

#549 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I did not make it to Ken's voice work at expo but hope to get another shot on the more complete game in the near future. Charlie/Ben can I come play some weekend?

That's because the Canabalistic prison warden is a BADASS!

Let me know if you're heading over there to play. I'll join you guys.

#550 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I got the night vision thing, but absolutely hated the photos

Quoted from benheck:

Absolutely. Also generally agree with the boob comments. It can be done in a way to maximize wife approval. Look at the Bally Strikes and Spares girl as an example, or Elvira. The optimum word here is "camp". Pinball camp (and nod to pinball art of the past) almost requires over the top (pardon the pun) pretty girl artwork.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
There are 552 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghost-squad/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.