amh.jpg
AMH2.jpg
AMH1.jpg
Playfield_Layout_5.jpg
capa_best_toni.jpg
chuck_norris_approves.gif
mother_of_god.jpg
IMG_20130129_172855.jpg
There are 552 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.
#351 10 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Very nice looking playfield. My only criticism so far concerns the voice call outs. I hope he reconsiders using professional voice overs or perhaps with sound editing software they can be "tweaked"?

do you want this to become a $7500 pin? professional voice overs don't work for free.

#352 10 years ago

the callouts are lacking. I know they ran long and needed to be edited, but I don't know if that alone will make up for what is lacking. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) what will be shown at expo.

The cost of some studio people (few hundred bucks each) won't push the price to $7500. I know they are cameos and it is sort of an inside thing, but you have to look at the final product.

#353 10 years ago

From what I have seen/heard in the recent videos, the voice work is great!

I also LOVE that they are voices of pinball people!

#354 10 years ago

Also hoping the price is somewhere in the 4k's (ok ok, Low 5k), that would make it a must-buy for me. I think the whole package will come together very nicely (including the voices e.t.c.) and if ya don't like them then just replace them in the software since it will be open-source. Easy enough to replace a few sound clips

#355 10 years ago

Won't be under $5000, but BOM willing, not Premium/LE price either.

Voices: Yes they're just WAV files on an SD card. I'm also going to make the code public. Almost every line of code is commented so it's really obvious what does what. It's in C and programs just like Arduino. The A/V is on a co-processor and has a lot of assembly but you shouldn't have to touch that.

We'll have a download section on Chuck's site for:

1) DMD SD card files
2) Music/SFX SD card files (there are 2 SD cards in the game)
3) Game kernel (HEX file and source code)
4) A/V kernel (there's a port to flash that, or we can send you the EEPROM which is socketed on the PCB for that reason)

We'll have to add a legal disclaimer that modifying the code is at your own risk as you could, for instance, activate coils long enough to burn them out, or drive a servo past its mechanical limits ignored the limit switches.

We may also sell the PCB as a single-board game building solution, but that's not a priority at the moment.

I agree the game has a lot of dialog, my next one will have less! Deal?

#356 10 years ago

Shit, the fact alone that this is open source might make this an "insta-buy" for me.

Is this going to be a limited run? Or if say, a year from now I want to buy one, will I run into any issues?

#357 10 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

do you want this to become a $7500 pin? professional voice overs don't work for free.

Professional doesn't mean it has to be james earle jones. I'm not the only one seeing this as a weak point in an otherwise very promising pin. Given it's open source I'm sure someone will end up making changes in this area.

#358 10 years ago

Will you guys have support for downloading other people's modifications to the code? I guess they could just post links to their version of the code on here? I can see some cool sound and dmd modifications being made to this leading to a constantly updating and changing game which is really cool.

Can't wait to see this at expo.

#359 10 years ago

Needless to say, I also am now STOKED for EXPO!!!! Thanks Heckinator!

#360 10 years ago

Email sent...Put me on the list

#361 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Will you guys have support for downloading other people's modifications to the code? I guess they could just post links to their version of the code on here? I can see some cool sound and dmd modifications being made to this leading to a constantly updating and changing game which is really cool.
Can't wait to see this at expo.

That's a good point. Might be fun to have a "hacker's" forum for tweaks, new rulesets, etc.

#362 10 years ago

I think the open source code is cool, but will be weird playing the game and different rules for each one of these games at the same time.

#363 10 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

That's a good point. Might be fun to have a "hacker's" forum for tweaks, new rulesets, etc.

Maybe we can call it a "Heck-ers" forum.....

#364 10 years ago

i realy enjoy to be "on the list"
maybe the only one in france ?

about pinball's parts, you will use bally parts or some specific parts ?
any idea of art of the cab ?
green dmd ?

take all the time you need to make a nice looking and playing game.
sorry for my frog'eater english but pinball love had no frontier..
yann

#365 10 years ago

Charlie, please reply to my PM.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#366 10 years ago
Quoted from whatchapopo:

i realy enjoy to be "on the list"
maybe the only one in france ?
about pinball's parts, you will use bally parts or some specific parts ?
any idea of art of the cab ?
green dmd ?
take all the time you need to make a nice looking and playing game.
sorry for my frog'eater english but pinball love had no frontier..
yann

your English is fine and frog legs are yummy.

#367 10 years ago

Amazing. I am on the list. No more waiting for broken code to get fixed. Open source pinball!

#368 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

your English is fine and frog legs are yummy.

ahah thanks but in fact i'm like elvira.... i hate frogs !

#369 10 years ago

... but I love frog legs

1 week later
#370 10 years ago

AMH update:

Batch of 10 test PCB's "pinHeck" system in from China. Hand stuffing a few for the Expo demo machines. Once they've been all checked out we'll do a larger pre-stuffed order.

Chuck, Bryan F'ing Kelly Blue Shirt and friends put together the first production prototype over the weekend. It's looking really good, we're still deciding on some final touches. Excited for Chuck to finally release some pics. PF art is almost identical from MGC, but now has plastics, flashers, GI, etc.

This coming weekend we'll test the new PCB's in the production game.

Between now and Expo I'll be working on code to flesh it out with as much animation as I can, and Chuck will refine the prototypes.

We may sell the boards for game builders but that's not a priority at the moment. We also don't have a DMD conversion GUI yet (it's still command line!)

#371 10 years ago

AMH update:
Batch of 10 test PCB's "pinHeck" system in from China. Hand stuffing a few for the Expo demo machines. Once they've been all checked out we'll do a larger pre-stuffed order.
Chuck, Bryan F'ing Kelly Blue Shirt and friends put together the first production prototype over the weekend. It's looking really good, we're still deciding on some final touches. Excited for Chuck to finally release some pics. PF art is almost identical from MGC, but now has plastics, flashers, GI, etc.
This coming weekend we'll test the new PCB's in the production game.
Between now and Expo I'll be working on code to flesh it out with as much animation as I can, and Chuck will refine the prototypes.
We may sell the boards for game builders but that's not a priority at the moment. We also don't have a DMD conversion GUI yet (it's still command line!)

sounds awesome, I would eventually like to get a builders set of boards

I also saw on Spooky facebook the progress shots of the Expo machines, lol

AMH1.jpgAMH1.jpg AMH2.jpgAMH2.jpg

#372 10 years ago

Why is this topic in the subforum ''modding''? Aint this just a new pin, build from the ground up?

Cant wait for the videos and more info.

#373 10 years ago

This is gonna be at expo? I missed MGC but I will be at expo cant I want to play it looks great!

#374 10 years ago

Ben, I swear on Charlie's grave (yes, I killed him when I found out what he and Kayte had done on the couch I had to sleep on), those pics on Facebook were totally photo shopped.

I swear!!!!

#375 10 years ago

How can you guys work with all the beer bottles lying around?

#376 10 years ago
Quoted from bradloy25:

The bottles were being used as reference points. Yeah, that's it, reference points.

#377 10 years ago
Quoted from bradloy25:

It's all about focus.

#378 10 years ago

If you look right down the center and squint they act as magnifying lenses for aligning the components to the play field. This is an old trick I learned from my Dad who learned it from his Dad- and here I thought it was some sorta family secret.

#379 10 years ago

I am helping Chuck electrify what they built last weekend.

Follow me on Twitter @benheck as I'll be posting during our build next few days.

It looks really, really good in person. Great work guys!

#380 10 years ago

So, is each game coming with a case of Blue Moon?

Or is there a secret blue moon wizard mode?

#381 10 years ago

Shit ya!!! Can't wait to play this at Expo!

#382 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

So, is each game coming with a case of Blue Moon?

That was the plan.....until we drank it all.

#383 10 years ago

Hello Ben,

please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am curious about Ghost squads play-field, is it screen printed or is it a decal? It looks really nice and shiny in your update videos.

#384 10 years ago

It's aliiiiiiiive

amh.jpgamh.jpg amh2.jpgamh2.jpg

#385 10 years ago

Ahem.

Preview.jpegPreview.jpeg

#386 10 years ago

Hey Ben >> If you ever need a hand with assembly I am happy to lend a hand.

#387 10 years ago

I thought the exact same thing. Since it seems Charlie and crew COMPLETELY ignore me though, seems kind of pointless to say anything.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#388 10 years ago

Chuck deliberately didn't lock the flippers down for as long as possible, just to drive me nuts. We completed a production prototype on Monday.

So there will certainly be a complete machine at Expo, possibly 2 if Chuck has the time.

Code-wise, all the modes are in but I've got debugging to do.

#389 10 years ago

Ben, is this going to be a one time limited run, or do you forsee building them for a while once you are finished creating it?

#390 10 years ago

I think that's actually a Charlie question.

#391 10 years ago

Wait I'm lost. I thought there were 2 different ghost machines getting made.
Ben Hecks ghost machine
Spooky pinballs ghost machine

Did they merge to ghost squad?

#392 10 years ago

Ben and Charlie are good friends. Ben designed Ghost Squad which was renamed "America's Most Haunted" to avoid any trademark problems with a past game named "Ghost Squad".

Ben designed the game and Spooky will be manufacturing the game Ben designed.

The Spooky designed game is a zombie game.

And yea, it can get confusing

#393 10 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

professional voice overs don't work for free.

Yes I do. I use the term professional loosely.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I also LOVE that they are voices of pinball people!

I also think this is a very cool thing. Was cool playing the prototype, hearing Alyson's voice and knowing she was hard at work on the show in the next room. Going to be a great game!

#394 10 years ago

Ken>> did you do your recording session already? How did it go? Give us the low down!

Would love to hear about all the details.

#395 10 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Ben and Charlie are good friends. Ben designed Ghost Squad which was renamed "America's Most Haunted" to avoid any trademark problems with a past game named "Ghost Squad".
Ben designed the game and Spooky will be manufacturing the game Ben designed.
The Spooky designed game is a zombie game.
And yea, it can get confusing

Then there's Ben Heck's Zombieland Adventure which was renamed to Retro Atomic Zombieland Adventure. But that's a Popadiuk game.

#396 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Then there's Ben Heck's Zombieland Adventure which was renamed to Retro Atomic Zombieland Adventure. But that's a Popadiuk game.

AKA Zidware is the company. All sorts of fun zombie / ghost themes coming to a head

#397 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Ken>> did you do your recording session already?

Not yet. Went over to Ben's with my son to check out the prototype and see the shop. He didn't have lines written for me yet. Got some lines from him yesterday and going to head over next week and record. What a nice guy and a cool shop!

#398 10 years ago

I know it didn't help when we put AMH in a Pinball Zombies cabinet at MGC, but I had a game, Chuck had a cabinet, it was the best solution at the time.

I actually get this month off from my show, so next 2 weeks is (mostly) code code code!

#399 10 years ago

Latest demo video:

#400 10 years ago

Wow, looks really, really, good. Holy ghosts, Batman.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 552 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghost-squad/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.