By benheck

4 years ago

Stats

• 552 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MurphyPeoples
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PZFBTG.jpg
new_pyschic.jpg
IMG_20131104_234647.jpg
AMH.jpg
image-736.jpg
image-300.jpg
Preview.jpeg
amh2.jpg
amh.jpg
AMH2.jpg
AMH1.jpg
Playfield_Layout_5.jpg
capa_best_toni.jpg
chuck_norris_approves.gif
mother_of_god.jpg
IMG_20130129_172855.jpg

There are 552 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
#1 4 years ago

So I've been working on a new game myself for the past year called Ghost Squad. Just CNC'd a playfield a few days ago that I hope to have stuffed for Midwest Gaming Classic.

It's a humorous game whose premise is that you're a team of "Ghost Hunters" like all those green night vision shows on TV. I feel modern pinball is sorely lacking in humor and my game aims to address this.

The goal is to advance your "investigations" in 6 typical haunted locations / modes - a hotel, theater, bar, prison, hospital and war fort. Modes are advanced by shooting a path 3 times or collecting pop bumper hits.

Each mode has a unique "Ghost Boss" you must battle. Ghosts are animated on the DMD, and there's also a moving, 3D printed glow-in-the-dark Ghost Bash Toy on the playfield. This toy has a bank of 3 motorized targets in front of it, like AFM, a mini-orbit under the ghost, and in this orbit, a magnet to "catch" (possess?) your ball, and an IR beam so you can bash the captured ball out like BSD.

There is also a motorized "Spooky Door", a Motorized Scoop "Hellavator", a subway, and a ramp shot where you must JUMP the ball over a chasm.

Ghost Squad is fully scripted with over 140 pages of dialog and 11 different characters including the ghosts. We have the voices about 70% recorded. The dialog is a bit more adult than an average pin but it's the kind of stuff that'll go over kids heads, like MM.

The idea is, take the game in hopefully a playable form to MGC, see what people think, and if there's demand, make it available for sale.

I'm happy to answer any questions, and can post more pics upon request.

PICS: "Final" artwork (plastics not shown), clay "bigature" model, 3D printed copy, CNC playfield.

IMG_20130214_143939.jpg gs_wood.jpg IMG_20130129_172855.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Oh... I think there will be interest in this for sure. Last night at CP, Ghost Squad was the subject of conversation from quite a few members of the local crew.

#3 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing more of this. Would love to see some more gameplay videos.

#4 4 years ago

"Ghost Squad" is already a trademarked name of an arcade video game.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So I've been working on a new game myself for the past year called Ghost Squad. Just CNC'd a playfield a few days ago that I hope to have stuffed for Midwest Gaming Classic.
It's a humorous game whose premise is that you're a team of "Ghost Hunters" like all those green night vision shows on TV. I feel modern pinball is sorely lacking in humor and my game aims to address this.
The goal is to advance your "investigations" in 6 typical haunted locations / modes - a hotel, theater, bar, prison, hospital and war fort. Modes are advanced by shooting a path 3 times or collecting pop bumper hits.
Each mode has a unique "Ghost Boss" you must battle. Ghosts are animated on the DMD, and there's also a moving, 3D printed glow-in-the-dark Ghost Bash Toy on the playfield. This toy has a bank of 3 motorized targets in front of it, like AFM, a mini-orbit under the ghost, and in this orbit, a magnet to "catch" (possess?) your ball, and an IR beam so you can bash the captured ball out like BSD.
There is also a motorized "Spooky Door", a Motorized Scoop "Hellavator", a subway, and a ramp shot where you must JUMP the ball over a chasm.
Ghost Squad is fully scripted with over 140 pages of dialog and 11 different characters including the ghosts. We have the voices about 70% recorded. The dialog is a bit more adult than an average pin but it's the kind of stuff that'll go over kids heads, like MM.
The idea is, take the game in hopefully a playable form to MGC, see what people think, and if there's demand, make it available for sale.
PICS: "Final" artwork (plastics not shown), clay "bigature" model, 3D printed copy, CNC playfield.

Sounds and looks very good so far Ben !!!!

#6 4 years ago

Sweet! Looks like there is a sudden resurgence in 'spooky' pinball themes. Way overdue if you ask me.

#7 4 years ago

Kick ass, Ben. I hope you've got it done before the show.

#8 4 years ago

Awesome let us all know how it turns out.

#9 4 years ago

Very nifty! What kind of boards would a custom pin like this use?

#10 4 years ago

Looks better than some pro playfields!

Nice work.

#11 4 years ago

very interesting benheck

#12 4 years ago

Looks very cool Ben! Anychance you might bring it to the PNW Show in June?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Very nifty! What kind of boards would a custom pin like this use?

Ben builds his own control boards.

#14 4 years ago

Looks cool! Looking forward to seeing it at MGC

#15 4 years ago

artwork looks great Ben, and heard that Spooky can possibly make this - do it, there are a few interested Australians.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Ben builds his own control boards.

Spooky Pinball will be using these as well.

#16 4 years ago

Get back to work on people's 10,000$ pins. : P

We want to see why on earth any new pin is worth that kind of scratch, and not because you're making FigurePrints and sticking them on the game.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

artwork looks great Ben, and heard that Spooky can possibly make this - do it, there are a few interested Australians.

Spooky Pinball will be using these as well.

Quoted from benheck:

I hope you have the playfield ready for the MGC , love to see it.!!

#18 4 years ago

I am interested, Ben. Do you have an email update I can sign up for?

#19 4 years ago

G L I R ?

#20 4 years ago

RE: Ben Heck Zombie Adventure, remember that's a JPOP game which has me as an evil scientist. So while I've lent ideas, that's mostly a JPOP gig.

I will really try and have this for MGC. We've had a playable whitewood since last summer, but then pay projects got in the way! Drat!

GLIR is Ghost Locating Infrared, since FLIR, while a generic term, is also a company.

And yes, I know of the Sega arcade game (notice how the title isn't on the PF?) So I'm open to suggestions!

RE: videos, there's several on my YouTube channel, including the original "Ghost Squad" Halloween special that inspired the game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/benheckdotcom

#21 4 years ago

My only question is how do I get on the list to buy it??!!!

Excellent artwork on that playfield!

Marcus

#22 4 years ago

Sounds like my kind of pin.

#23 4 years ago

You might want to change "War Fort" to "Military Fort", war fort just doesn't sound right.

#24 4 years ago

Great game Ben especially the voice of the leader! Wink wink

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

Great game Ben especially the voice of the leader! Wink wink

You had a hell of a lot of lines! I'm glad I got to skip over them when doing mine.

#26 4 years ago

Yeah I hope they turn out ok. Turns out I'm not bringing any pins to mgc just about 7 vids mostly crap lol

#27 4 years ago

Hope you get it done by MGC. Would love to check it out.

#28 4 years ago

With the voice talents of "jarjarisgod" and "crazybanana" on board, it's sure to be a winner!

#29 4 years ago

People are going to laugh the f'ing ass off when they hear Ben's sound bites. Not only can the man make a game, he can script it also!!

#30 4 years ago

What type of wood are you using for your whitewood and is it commercially available somewhere?
Ps. Love the theme!

#31 4 years ago

I love this idea. Good luck Ben Heck.

#32 4 years ago

Great work Ben !
LTG : )

#33 4 years ago

Very rad! I like what I see so far. Hopefully there will be enough demand to sell these mutha's!

UNCOMPLIANT

Quoted from Bowman9:

You might want to change "War Fort" to "Military Fort", war fort just doesn't sound right.

Saying "war fort" is like trying to say "rural juror".

#34 4 years ago

Very cool! Really hoping to make it to MGC to see this in person!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Saying "war fort" is like trying to say "rural juror".

I want to go to there.

#36 4 years ago

I would save/sell for this one. Nice work!

#37 4 years ago

What a great time for pinball

#38 4 years ago

Any ideas for an alternate title if Sega gets involved. "Ben Heck's Ghost Squad" etc?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

Any ideas for an alternate title if Sega gets involved. "Ben Heck's Ghost Squad" etc?

Nothing against Ben.... but people who aren't in the know, wouldn't know who Ben Heck is. How about something involving the theme of trying to become TV Ghost Busters....like inserting a word like 'Primetime'.

Primetime Ghost Squad... not as catchy... but it might keep Sega out of it.

#40 4 years ago

What about "Ghost Hunters" as a name option

Also if you don't sell the game would love a playfield to hang on the wall - love it.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

What about "Ghost Hunters" as a name option

Unless he gets the license from the popular SyFy channel TV show he seems to be making fun of (and their ilk) I don't think he can use it. You might not be aware of the show unless you're familiar with television programming here in the US.

#43 4 years ago

specter inspectors
spooky sleuths

#44 4 years ago

Ghost Posse
Spook Squad

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimojo:

Unless he gets the license from the popular SyFy channel TV show he seems to be making fun of (and their ilk) I don't think he can use it. You might not be aware of the show unless you're familiar with television programming here in the US.

no I'm not aware of programming there....

Quoted from dmesserly:

Spook Squad

Like it..... especially instead of the Start Again it says Spook Again

#46 4 years ago

I used 8 ply Baltic Birch. Woodcrafters near my shop carries it.

Yeah the title doesn't need my name. I think the concept "sells itself" pretty easily. If not "Squad", Team, Group, Posse... something that sounds good. By all means, lend me suggestions!

The tagline of the game, regardless, is "To Them, The Paranormal... Isn't"

"War Fort" sounds dumb but War is a short word that fits easily onto an insert. It's all about expressing a concept as quickly as possible.

We still have a few parts available, specifically Bartender of Haunted Bar, Ghostly Prison Warden and Hippie Psychic Chick.

I'll probably do the voice of the demon for Wizard mode.

#47 4 years ago

I've heard the term "Spook" used as a derogatory term for Black people. I'd be careful.... although I do like it.

#48 4 years ago

Spector Collector

#49 4 years ago

What about "Spirit Squad"

#50 4 years ago

Paranormal Posse!

Nah... Too wordy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Mods
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.50
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 552 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 1,478 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside