(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #297 Comments from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #304 More info from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #355 Economic nexus test, uses Louisiana as an example. Posted by iceman44 (5 years ago)

Post #415 Comment from distributor. Posted by Gexchange (5 years ago)

Post #465 State by state tracker. Posted by flynnibus (5 years ago)

Post #505 Some expierence for 2019 and suggestions. Posted by Pinzap (5 years ago)

Post #513 Break down of thresholds state by state Posted by Hemispheres (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erichadley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 5 years ago

It started here in Colorado on November 1st. It’s not a federal law. It’s due to a Supreme Court ruling, which now gives the states the ability to enforce collection of state sales tax on internet sales. Which, by the way, you were always technically supposed to pay sales tax on all your online purchases. But that was not easy to enforce, because it was up to the consumer to pay the tax to their state, and no one did it.

“The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday overturned the 1992 decision in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, which exempted online retailers from having to collect tax on orders placed by residents of states where retailers did not have a physical presence.”

I for one am happy to see this FINALLY happen. Levels the playing field for everyone. You should support local businesses. I buy my games from Game Exchange, even before the tax collection rules went into place. The states that haven’t caught on soon will. Of course, those of you that live in states with no sales tax, enjoy........

There is software and companies out there that can help businesses with this tax collection process.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Says the guy with the 6th lowest state sales taxes.
    Kidding aside, I know the taxes are higher than that in Colorado depending on the local sales taxes that are added in, correct? I believe the rough average is right around 7.5%?

Where I live the tax is 4%, but in Denver city limits yes 7.5%

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Wait you guys have different tax brackets within the state of Colorado as well. So Federal tax and then a varying state tax pending where you live within that state?

The Colorado (CO) state sales tax rate is currently 2.9%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 11.2%. Colorado is a “home rule” state. Local-level tax rates in the state of Colorado are quite complex compared against local-level tax rates in other states.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Talk about a failed system. Who decides what section of the population pays more? Divided by zip codes?

It’s based on the county you live in and the city boundaries. For example the city of Denver vs the city of Littleton. I happen to live in unincorporated Douglas county so ours is lower because we don’t have a local city government to support. So my sales tax is based upon the state at 2.9% plus the county sales tax. Then there are other add-on’s. Such as RTD(our public transit system), if where you live is serviced by RTD there is an additional sales tax added on. Etc.

For online sales you pay the tax based upon point of delivery, where you have the item shipped to....typically your home. Vs a brick and mortar purchase. If I drive to Best Buy in Denver I can expect to pay a lot more sales tax because of where they are located.

For example Game Exchange is located in Denver. If I drive there and pickup my game I pay 7.5% sales tax. If I have them deliver it to my home I pay 4% sales tax.

Correction: Apparently Denver’s total sales tax rate is now 8.31%

#86 5 years ago

Deleted: crossed the line from facts to politics

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I guess it boils down to a different point of view. I pay taxes for things happening all over my province for the betterment of all citizens that live in it. Same things goes for our healthcare. I pay taxes so that someone can get heart surgery, or an operation to get a donated kidney for free. If rolls were switched I would appreciate the same if ever I needed healthcare help. I'm completely fine with that.

Yep yep, I get it. I deleted my post due to crossing the line from fact to politics. I appreciate all points of view.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

The new taxes will absolutely increase the value/price of private party pin sales on the secondary market.
    Same effect as the manufacturer increasing the prices of NIB.
    Of course, this will not apply to those who live in or near a state with no sales tax.

Did you know that you are supposed to pay sales tax on private party sales too? But again, hard to enforce.
    The only place I see it enforced is on private party vehicle sales, because when you register the vehicle you show a bill of sale that states the sale price and the DMV collects the sales tax. But, people cheat that system by asking the seller to lie about the sales price on the bill of sale.

#379 5 years ago

Everyone be like IM NOT PAYING MORE.....10 minutes later OHHHHHH LOOK AT THAT SHINEY BOX OF LIGHTS! I WANT AN LE. TAKE MY MONEY

1 week later
    #521 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

looks like these are the states where distributors should set up?
    Only distributor I know of off the top of my head that is from any of those states is Rob Anthony whom is a Spooky distributor (Montana is his home state I think?). Does that mean I could avoid sales tax if I order future Spooky games through him?

No, you would need to live in one of those 5 states

#522 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not only property tax and interest write off limitation.
    Really it’s state and local income tax we used to be able to deduct. That could be tens of thousands of dollars. We are being taxed on income we never see because it’s deducted for state income tax. Some states have 8-12% income tax.
    Here is a quote for a $500k earner in California this does not include home interest deduction or property tax deduction that you would lose as a result of new tax law. The loss of interest and property tax deduction would add thousands of more Federal 2018 taxes. [quoted image]

That’s because the Democrats have ruined California with insanely high income and property tax, why should we all subsidize that? The new limits make sense.

Oh and mortgage interested deduction didn’t go away. You can still claim that if you itemize, and just like before it’s not capped.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erichadley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-?tu=erichadley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.