Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1359 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When you've never heard of Rick and Morty

... and you look into it and decide it's not "smart" or "clever" and thus do not want the new Spooky game.

So I guess I'm not "old" then, despite turning 59 soon. Sweet!

#1368 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm only 41 and have no clue who they are. Haven't watched family guy or the Simpsons in 10 years probably. If it's not sports, I usually don't pay attention

I'm sorry, you're old at 41, I'm not at 58. C'est la vie.

6 months later
    #1811 3 years ago

My daughter (17) has developed the unfortunate habit of calling me "dude" (along with everyone else) and somehow it bothers me coming from her.

I usually say, in my best Ajax Duckman voice, "I'm not dude, I'm Dod!" Of course, she's too young to get the reference, but I don't care, because I'm old.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to post in this thread: you know you are old when, two weeks later, you are still excited about the good deal you got on a refrigerator.

#1824 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If I call you on the phone, will we be having a 20 minute conversation about your new fridge.

On a land line, naturally!

#1831 3 years ago

Yeah, if only they weren't so deadly efficient at piercing skulls.

Hey, I know! Bring them back but require everyone to wear helmets whenever they are enjoying the outdoors, maybe?

#1833 3 years ago

That's another one, I ride my bike on and off, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna ride around with one of those idiotic helmets on.

They're fine for kids likely to do things like shooting out from between parked cars or other such dangerous acts borne of inexperience or carelessness, but it's unnecessary for my own wary noggin.

#1841 3 years ago

I live in Wisconsin, and I refuse to (seriously) consider myself old until I can no longer handle dealing with snow in my driveway using nothing but a shovel.

(But when the neighbor with a front end loader wants to help out after a heavy snow, I don't complain! )

I also ditched my smelly riding lawnmower (too much work steering around all these trees) and bought a EGO POWER+ cordless electric self-propelled walk-behind mower. Man, I love this thing! Can't say enough good about it.

Lightweight, easy to maneuver.

Charge lasts an hour at full power (a bit less if grass is extra long or you overuse the propulsion) and recharges in under an hour.

No gas or oil (obviously), almost no maintenance. Flip it over anytime you like, nothing to leak. No gas station runs.

So quiet! Can even mow at night, it's less noisy than a weed whacker. Even has a headlight, the low angle of which really helps you see where you've already mowed (as opposed to the one high up on a riding mower).

Same battery can be used on their other tools. Thinking about a chain saw (speaking of trees...)

The recharging station is bad ass, looks like something out of Star Trek.

Unexpected bonus: I swear, the absence of gas fumes and combustion exhaust actually seems to ameliorate my allergies, they're nowhere near as bad without the added irritants from a gas engine.

And I'd much rather get some exercise by mostly just walking than by cranking that riding mower's steering wheel around constantly, much easier on the ol' shoulders.

Anyway, I guess you know you are "old" when you give an unpaid, unsolicited testimonial for a damn lawn mower because you love it that much.

1 month later
    #1999 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am a V.A. patient. I have entered into a new era of my life. I was sent home with my own blood pressure monitor. I feel great but times are a changing.

Quoted from poppapin:

Thanks to POTUS!!

What? Thanks to POTUS, cottonm4 is getting so old he needs his own bp monitor?

#2007 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Comprehend? He can now get a bp monitor thanks to the POTUS

No, I don't. Please enlighten me about how the POTUS is responsible for letting vets take home BP monitors like they have since 2002.

1 week later
    #2047 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Anyone ... hitting a kid in any way should be put to death in the town square.

Sounds excessive. How about littering, 20 years hard labor or what?

#2049 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Stupid iPhone. It was supposed to be hurting a kid like that.
    I’m talking about pedos and cruelty to kids not something like a spanking. And I’m not going there

A little better, but the death penalty for anything is barbaric. And in the town square? Sounds like you might have been happier in the middle ages. But there was no pinball then, hmmm, tough call.

#2069 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I always commented on the poor acting in that commercial. The Chinese woman was a bit premature with her reaction, when the woman discovers that her "secret" was actually a box of Calgon detergent.

What reaction? She's the one that spills the beans! (And Calgon is a water softener.)

#2083 3 years ago

Who remembers when Aunt Jemima only had pancake mix, and they decided to have her hawk syrup as well?

Aunt Jemima pancakes without her syrup
    Are like the spring without the fall
    There's only one thing worse in this whole universe
    That's no Aunt Jemima at all!

And now the "one thing worse" has come to pass...

#2094 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

My bad. It was actually the customer who was a touch ahead of cue. See, the memory is going!

Yeah, she raised her eyebrows just a bit too quickly. My criticism was always that I thought a Chinese laundry would buy their Calgon in bulk, not a small retail box. Or install a water softener!

1 week later
    #2114 3 years ago

Or just google for scans of them, plenty out there.

#2145 3 years ago

You have to modify your go-to pinball playing stance so as not to strain your shoulders.

Even then, not sure I could make it through a long tournament any more. Almost glad to get a year off.

As you age, it goes from "no pain, no gain" to "no strain, no pain"!

#2157 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

You know you are old when ... the lack of social decorum and decency bothers you.

While if you're young, you embrace the lack of social decorum and decency and make WAP the #1 song in the country.

2 months later
    #2480 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And I am still trying to figure out why sugar is not spelled as "shuger".

From only seeing his name in print, for years I seriously thought "Suge" Knight was pronounced "sooj."

#2482 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You're old if you don't know who that is. I don't, had to google.

I couldn't name one thing he's done, I just saw the name here and there.

How should it be spelled? Sug? Shug? Shoog? I just know it shouldn't be Suge. That e implies a long u.

#2520 3 years ago

Question: do you ever get old enough to be glad when someone calls you to discuss your Medicare options?

Personally it drives me crazy since I'm not even old enough to qualify for it!

But I also envision, all too easily, a class of lonely old folks who are thrilled to have anyone to talk to at all.
    Downer, sorry.

#2559 3 years ago

Am I old? Every time a Pizza Hut ad claims that "Nobody out-pizzas the Hut" I mutter something to the effect of "Yes, because it is impossible, since there is no verb 'to pizza.'"

1 week later
    #2588 3 years ago

Meanwhile, if they made Breaking Wind an Olympic sport, old age would be an advantage!

1 week later
    #2676 3 years ago

I am so old and jaded, I can find something to bitch about in every single Xmas/holidays song I hear.

Don't get me started! Seriously, I've considered writing a standup routine, some of my observations are pretty funny. But probably only to me...

#2695 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Remembering growing up poor I always say "I grew up so poor I didn't have two wooden nickels to rub together let alone real ones."

This reminded me of a post I responded to in the Childhood Toys thread, about someone only having a stick and hoop.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I only had the stick, I was stuck just playing with that while imagining what the hoop must be like.

#2716 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I wonder if the headphones link the brain cancer.

I wonder what you are talking about.

Bluetooth uses non-ionizing RF energy, and is thus harmless; even at high energy levels the most it could do to tissue is heat it.
    And Bluetooth is a relatively recent innovation, many do not consider it capable of high fidelity even. I'm pretty confident that Neil used wired, even if it did matter. It's not like drummers need to walk around while playing!

The same goes for cell phones. No correlation to cancer.
    https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/cell-phones/radio-frequency-radiation-and-cell-phones

I'm glad I'm not old enough to start worrying about every crackpot idea that comes along!

3 weeks later
    #2801 3 years ago

You know you are old when you talk like a hillbilly for comedic effect, but no one laughs, because they think that it's just your normal voice.

#2821 3 years ago

You know you're old when... um, er... I forgot what I was going to say.

#2835 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I've never seen any of the newer superhero movies. It's hard for me to sit through them.

I hate movies with constant unrealistic escapes from death, superheroes or not.

Just semi-suffered through WW84 before it goes away from HBOMax after today. It was fun, but, hello, remember physics? Wow, so many dumb things about it.

"I have this moron thing I do, it's called THINKING?" - George Carlin
    You and me both, George.

#2857 3 years ago

Epiphany time:

You know you are old when you realize that something, it doesn't really matter what, that you had thought was stupid, was actually pretty cool. And you can admit it.

And you think, am I finally becoming wise?

P.S. Or vice versa.

#2875 3 years ago

They are banned in many countries, in Tennessee, and in St Paul, MN.

They aren't labeled as "candy cigarettes" any more, but come on.

#2905 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

As a mature elder , I recommend: DO NOT buy a black capped conure.

Too active, I'm guessing? I can relate, my regular parakeet Bob demanded a lot of attention back in the late 80s. Letting him have the run of the house went to his little pea brain.

Still miss the little bugger. He appears in my dreams occasionally to this day. Hi, Bob! Hi, Bob!

#2917 3 years ago

Gotta love using glorified violence to sell a slow poison!

1 month later
    #2970 3 years ago

... when you spend two days in bed, wondering what you did to make your lower back so angry at you.

#2991 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Have anything to do with a 300 pound plywood box filled with wires?

Hate to admit, it wasn't from moving one, so if it was related it must be just from having to stoop and reach while adjusting switches on Rick & Morty. Guess we didn't evolve to do that, especially at 60!

#2992 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I agree.
    Any flirting or complements at all will land you in jail.

Oh come on, "You look nice today" will land you in jail?

If one's idea of flirting is objectifying shit like "Nice ass, honey" then it was never acceptable.

(Actually, if "complements" are the problem, better be sure to wear clothes that don't match!)

#2994 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's usually the other way around. Compliments, when it should be complements.

Well, you took the air out of that joke!

#2998 3 years ago

Sure, if you believe the BS the media spews in the name of the almighty ratings. Fortunately it is BS and real people don't actually behave in this manner.

Real people appreciate sincere compliments.

And even if someone takes offense, it won't "land you in jail." Give me a break.

In the scenario you posit above, I'd respond, "I was just being nice, honey, don't get your panties in a wad." And I still wouldn't go to jail.

Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't think anybody got it anyway.

Takes wits to recognize wit. Not my problem!

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and that is not being witty."

#3018 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Just the other day, I was telling my son what an 8 track player was. I explained how it operated, and the bogus way they had to fade songs out and then back in during track changes.

Either that, or compromise the integrity of the artist's choice of track order by rearranging them into four groups of songs that all last about the same amount of time. You know how your brain will sometimes preview the next song, from memory, when a song that is playing ends? I remember being thrown by the differences between vinyl and 8 track in this regard.

It was also lame how, if you didn't like a song and changed tracks, it dumped you into the middle of a different song. And rewinding was impossible, and fast forward was not a universal feature. The tapes were easy to change, I'll give it that. Radio stations used a similar tech (Fidelipacs) for decades due to their ease of use -- just stick it in!

It really is astonishing, when you think about it, to have been alive to witness this technology evolve. From the vagaries of 8 tracks to entire libraries of music on tiny little RAM cards the size of your pinkie fingernail! Almost makes vaccine nanochips eound plausible. (But no, tech is not there yet. Also: yeah, right.)

#3022 3 years ago

Back in my day, we didn't have these round, shiny steel balls. All we had was rocks, and you put them in your game and they smashed and gouged everything to pieces, and we all said boo-hoo, now my playfield is all dimpled and destroyed. And that's the way it was, and we liked it!

download (2) (resized).jpegdownload (2) (resized).jpeg
    #3036 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

We were working on the porch at my son's place last year, its just 3 steps high, and I was gonna hop off onto the driveway (concrete), and I though damn, that's gonna hurt my ankles, and i walked the 10 feet over to the 3 steps and went down them instead.....and felt old....

Parkour!

3 weeks later
    #3118 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

you probably remember the song Louie Louie

How could I forget it? When a local radio station changed formats years ago, it actually promoted itself for a week as the "All Louie, Louie" station as an advertising ploy. I sort of dug it! Mostly the Kingsmen version, but there were other versions sprinkled in as well. I was almost sad when they came clean and went to a plain old oldies format.

I also have a book around here somewhere about the song, and its allegedly obscene lyrics. Very interesting.

#3138 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I am old enoughf to know communism was bad. Now we have China apologists, even after covid. When did communism become cool?

I don't know that it ever did, but here is not the place to discuss it.

#3146 3 years ago

The dead people were at least able to hold still for the picture! The photographs from way back then required the subjects to hold still for 15 to 90 seconds or more, depending on the technology used. That's why they didn't smile, and slight movements helped make the results extra creepy.

1 week later
    #3278 2 years ago

You know you are old when you drive off to go to the store, and have to go back when you don't remember whether you shut the garage door.

And when you get back, you pull into the garage and go back into the house, forgetting to go to the store at all!

2 months later
    #3402 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Oops! Just for bacon. Sorry.

Don't worry, he already said he didn't know.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Don't know cotton but definitely a candidate for hottie of month.

And besides, cotton already pinned her:

Quoted from cottonm4:

My generation knew her as Mrs. Olsen who was selling the “richest kind” of coffee. Folger’s Coffee.

The actress's name was Virginia Christine, a name I was not familiar with. She was in movies starting in 1943, and on TV beginning in 1951. Credits include The Mummy's Curse, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

As Mrs. Olson, she was always on about how "Mountain Grown" coffee is the richest kind. The "Best part of waking up" jingle was created when Ms. Christine retired in the 80's. She passed away in 1996.

I have remarked before, you know you are old when the best part of waking up is waking up, not having died in your sleep. I'm sure Virginia would agree!

#3423 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I brought in Cheech and Chongs Big Bamboo album to high school social studies class. The teacher was mortified and I remember her saying, "you didn't hear that in this class" as we filed out to next class. Hilarious stuff.

In grade school, 5th grade I believe it was, we could bring in our own 45s to play in class on occasion.

One time I brought "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. When I got it back, someone had snapped it in half.

Another time, I brought "Carry Me, Carrie" from Dr Hook and the Medicine Show. The B side was "Freaker's Ball," which featured lyrics such as "The fags and the dykes, they boogyin' together, the leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather." (What did I know? I was 11!) Teacher never played either side in class, but I never got that one back at all! And I seem to remember my parents getting a call.

#3427 2 years ago

I would hope not, depending on context!

2 weeks later
    #3445 2 years ago

My doctor told me last week that my chronically stiff neck on one side is probably just old age.

You mean eventually I'll hurt like this all over?

#3451 2 years ago

Yes, it's funny how many stores play a choice of music seemingly designed to repel customers.

Well, it's not so funny while I'm in there being subjected to it! It's hard to concentrate on shopping while one's skin is crawling, aghast that anyone would listen to this stuff voluntarily! (I keep thinking of the Rush lyric "thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away")

Um, hello? Mr Store Manager? You can't go wrong with Classic Rock, it's the most popular genre (not by sales but when people are asked) and almost no one hates it.

I think music in general has been trending toward stupid for a long time. This is borne out by objective research that I don't feel like googling at the moment.

I just need to remember to bring in my bluetooth headphones! Dunno why I don't always bring them, then I wouldn't have to listen to commercials, either!

(Lest anyone think I sound like a fuddy duddy, I have no problem with the loud alt rock when I accompany my daughter to Hot Topic!)

#3461 2 years ago

I wouldn't blame the satellite radio, they have channels for almost any genre you can think of. So many channels to fill that they resort to having some named after certain artists, playing just that artist's stuff and sometimes similar material.

Famous Dave's plays that Delta Blues as atmosphere, the way Italian restaurants should stick to unobtrusive opera and instrumental classical music.

Ironically, Muzak is not played in elevators much anymore, but they are still around. In popular culture, it gets referenced a lot as a joke when some unlikely popular tune is parodied in Muzak style.

#3465 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

BTW, I don't think Muzak exists anymore.

You're right! I didn't read far enough. Stupid Wikipedia doesn't know that it should say "was a brand" instead of "is," when the brand has been retired.

#3475 2 years ago

Don't forget to hydrate!

1 week later
    #3489 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

When you have lived long enough to witness a lady neighbour down the street watering a huge maple tree With no pants on.

Or to see a man blithely watering the sidewalk in a decent residential neighborhood in Green Bay with neither garden hose nor watering can...

#3506 2 years ago

Huh, maybe I'm not old after all...

2 weeks later
    #3584 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Whew! I am officially not old because I’m not seeing what you guys see in that woman. Blechhh!!! Gonna head back to the basement threads where the real women are!

That woman is more of a woman than all those boob jiggling airheads put together.

#3587 2 years ago

Who is she? I'd like to see a pic of her smiling.

1 month later
    #3660 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I used to be a 2 pack a day man. That would be a little over $200.00 per month smoking bill at $67.00 per carton.

$6.70 a pack times 2 a day times 30 days is over $400. Almost five large per year!

1 week later
    #3723 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Back then Pluto was still a planet. . . now the honor of last planet in our solar system falls to Uranus.

Nope, Neptune.

#3731 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I stand corrected. My astronomy is a little weak.
    I suppose I just wanted to say that something fell to Uranus.

My own is so-so, but I do remember the mnemonic "My very energetic mother just served us nine pies."

Although with Pluto demoted, I now prefer my own version, "My very epicurean mother just served us naan."

#3773 2 years ago

Why do people say "nuttier than a fruitcake" but no one says "fruitier than a nutcake"?

2 weeks later
    #3825 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

And we had to walk to school, sometimes in 4 feet of snow, and it was a 5 mile walk, and it was uphill both ways.

At least you weren't barefoot?

3 weeks later
    #3908 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I'm getting my wife a Dyson stick vacuum for Christmas...good idea or bad?

Hide something romantic in the dirt cup as insurance maybe?

4 weeks later
    #4044 2 years ago

I turned 61 today, and I realized you know you're old when you look forward to getting even older so that you can start stating your age in hexadecimal again.

(When I was 57 (base 10) I could say I was 39 (base 16), but at 58 saying you are 3A ruins it.
    When I get to 64 I'll be 40!)

Disclaimer: I realize this is silly.

1 week later
    #4108 2 years ago

I never bowl because, oddly, it invariably brings on an attack of tendinitis in my feet.

I probably just need to stretch more, but I find I don't have time to stretch my feet every day just in case I ever decide to go bowling!

Probably been 15 years since I even tried to bowl. No doubt other things would hurt too afterward nowadays. I'm looking at you, shoulders. (I can't even lean on a pin I'm playing for very long.)

Growing old is just a process of finding more reasons not to do more things, I think.

#4137 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I have never seen one in operation either.

I have questions!

How do you use it? Do you fill it with oil and make the hogs go through it?

Why is it antique, that I would need to be old to recognize it? Are they no longer used? Has hog oiling technology advanced beyond our wildest dreams?

Why would one need to oil their hogs in the first place? When they get too squeaky?

#4142 2 years ago

Oh, they rub on the outside. I wondered how they'd fit through the middle.

I presume we're not talking motor oil (especially used!)? I guess they would like mineral oil, there are "models" on the Internet who like to rub it all over themselves, or so I've heard.

#4168 2 years ago

Wow, Meat Loaf and now Louie Anderson, on the same day.

Edit: and oh cripes, you gotta be kidding, now Lyman? WTF?

1 week later
    #4209 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A new acronym !

What, pronounced "yakyow"? I doubt it will catch on.

#4228 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Actually he stole it. He stole most of his stuff he is credited for inventing.

He "stole" over 1000 patents worth of inventions, riiiiight.

https://interestingengineering.com/thomas-edison-visionary-inventor-or-villain#:~:text=Edison%20did%20not%20create%20everything,not%20a%20villain%20or%20thief.

#4230 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Did a little research and found out that while Edison stole many patents and ideas from
    tesla the light bulb was not one of them.

Very little, apparently. Tell me, what are some of the "many" patents and ideas Edison stole from Tesla?

If anything, Edison blew it by not adopting Tesla's polyphase AC for power distribution, instead pushing his DC vision which would have required power stations within a mile of every customer and which could not be stepped up or down in voltage like AC can via transformers. He tried to discredit AC by calling it too dangerous, even electrocuting animals in public demonstrations with it! Thank goodness for George Westinghouse!

http://edison.rutgers.edu/tesla.htm
    https://ttkmeup.com/blog/2019/10/18/energy-wars-did-thomas-edison-steal-nikola-teslas-inventions

#4232 2 years ago

That's as may be, but employers take credit for employees' innovations all the time.

At any rate, that one incident is hardly proof that

Quoted from zr11990:

Edison stole many patents and ideas from tesla

which was the assertion I had trouble with. That is just a popular myth. In the real world, all inventors are mostly simply trying to improve existing ideas. Edison was indeed a genius, if any inventor ever was.

2 weeks later
    #4259 2 years ago

Ehhhhhhh, I would have to assume that while this subterfuge might be more common than we might guess, I can't buy it being the case on "most of my favorite albums"!

#4263 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Find out who played the guitar licks on "While my guitar gently weeps" on The Beatles White Album.

I don't doubt that it happens, but "on most of my favorite albums" is ludicrous hyperbole.

2 weeks later
    #4331 2 years ago

You're old when it raises your blood pressure to see unfunny and/or uncaptioned photos in a "funny captioned photos" thread.

Well, not so much the photo itself, moreso when the poster defends it as valid because it's an "off topic" thread!

#4337 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys laugh, but there has never been a mass shooting at a Catholic school in the United States.....

Never say never. Is "the worst school shooting in Michigan's history" less than three months ago enough evidence to lay this one to rest? (3 dead, 8 wounded)

https://www.catholicnews.com/update-clergy-comfort-students-community-after-tragic-high-school-shooting/

Also, so what? Much smaller class sizes and 1/22 as many kids enrolled as in public schools would account for most of any discrepancy.

#4339 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Oxford High School is not a Catholic School
    https://oxfordhigh.oxfordschools.org/

Google failed me there, I should have read further, but still there's Gonzaga University in 1971, where a 21-year-old man shot and wounded four people on campus before he was killed by police.

And again, so what? Is there something special about Catholic schools beyond the factors I pointed out? What are you getting at?

1 week later
    #4398 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Likely already stated but when you pop in here to post something, but can't recall what it was you were going to post.

I don't remember whether that was posted before or not.

#4404 2 years ago

Heck, I've seen the exact same picture posted in the "Funny Captions Thread" six posts apart!

2 weeks later
    #4440 2 years ago

Careful with those naps, I saw a recent news article about a link with Alzheimer's.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/dementia/excessive-daytime-naps-may-signal-early-dementia

Of course, a correlation doesn’t necessarily mean the naps cause the dementia, they might just be indicative. Basically, they found that the naps got longer faster in people eventually diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I stopped needing naps myself once I no longer had to get up early to try and get the kiddo to school.

1 week later
    #4483 2 years ago

Have you guys seen or tried the latest "old man challenge"?

The test is to stand on one foot, barefooted, not leaning on anything, with your socks and shoes, laces untied, on the ground next to you, and proceeding to pick them up and put them on and tie them, without steadying yourself against anything or putting both feet on the ground before you are finished.

I pulled it off first try, with my daughter as witness, so I guess I'm not old despite being 61! I plan to check whether I can still pass the test on future birthdays, if not more often.

Good thing I'm not old, I have so much to do!

#4512 2 years ago

Ya doy, in most cases stopping is better than not stopping, despite whatever ailment it already garnered you!

#4531 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I was talking to my grandson Justin this past Saturday. He is 19 years old. He said he was leaving to meet some friends. I asked him if they were going cruising. He said that was not feasible anymore because of the high price of gasoline. Sad.
    When I was his age a couple of bucks would get you a night of cruising.

I call BS. With gas prices adjusted for inflation, and more efficient cars nowadays, the cost now is about the same.

#4535 1 year ago

True, there's cruising, and then there's cruising!

#4552 1 year ago

Speaking of leaded gas, Ethyl, etc. I thought this video was very interesting.

#4595 1 year ago

"I'll sleep when I'm dead." -- Warren Zevon

1 month later
    #4867 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You know you're old when you turn 58, like me today! (shameless birthday plug)

I felt old at 58 because I could no longer fudge and say I was 39 (hex). 3A doesn’t work, too obviously not decimal!

Looking forward (a little) to 64 so I can say I'm 40 (hex)!

Silly, I know, a curse of being a computer programmer with a sense of humor. I also remember whenever I shampoo not to read the directions so I don't get stuck in the shower.

3 weeks later
    #4959 1 year ago

You know you are old when you can screw up your knee just getting off a stepstool too quickly, and it takes six weeks to stop limping, and all the while the pain site migrates around as you adjust your gait to favor different muscles and tendons that happen to hurt the least for the time being, until they too get sore and you adjust your gait again.

That's my life recently, and no, I didn't see a doctor, I thought I just twanged a tendon, I could still get around and even still push-mow my lawn, and my life could not tolerate surgery and recovery anyway (knowing full well what that would entail as my daughter did have knee surgery in November). But I may have to go see one after all if this keeps up, maybe I can get a cortisone shot or something...

You also know you're old when you feel no compunction about complaining publicly about your physical ailments! However, I do realize that tons of folks deal with much worse.

Still, to think one goofy misstep can cause this much aggravation. I hope I can still pass the "old man test" I posted about before come my next birthday!

Parkour!! Park bench, more like!

3 weeks later
    #5051 1 year ago

Good news, fellow codgers! I learned of yet another "old man" test that is a little easier to pass:

Just stand on one leg for 30 seconds, keeping your balance, no hands or leaning against things allowed. That's it! Heck, I can even do that on my leg with the still-aggravated knee.

#5100 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:I count my lucky stars and have sympathy for those less fortunate who are stuck buying the stuff from the grocery store shelves that does not work.

Especially if they waste their money on "homeopathic" products, which are completely useless and a total scam!

I hope everyone here knows this. "Homeopathic" doesn't mean organic or natural, it means products based on the ridiculous premise that water has some sort of "memory" and that diluting a solution multiple times can somehow make the supposed "active ingredient" even more effective! It's all garbage and should not even be allowed in pharmacies.

#5103 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Ah Gee. Just when I thought I could sell you a Himalayan Salt Lamp.

Too late! My daughter already bought me one as a gift!

But not for any of those bogus reasons. We both just think it looks cool!

2 weeks later
    #5186 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

You are happy to spend 20 minutes trapped behind the boom gate inside a parking station arguing with the attendant on the boom gate controller box intercom because you refuse to pay the $8 parking fee by card only.
    Stupid millenial: "Only old people pay cash now".
    Old person: "Cash is still legal tender, kid and the longer you want to argue about it the more the other cars are going to pile up behind mine."

So I take it you're not going to want to get a chip implanted when they introduce that?

4 weeks later
    #5267 1 year ago

I wondered, I looked it up, I LOLed:

1974 also had "Lovin' You" by Minnie Ripperton. Egads.

1 week later
    #5319 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Im surprised the censors let that be produced and/or sold.

The doll censors? What doll censors?

2 months later
    1 month later
    #5472 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Those are the best.
    There is no better way to dry your hands with a wet cloth used by countless dirty hands before you.

Did you not know you can yank on the top of the towel to have it spit out a fresh section of towel?

And it's a green solution, the used up towel is laundered and reused.

#5480 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I recently learned about how bad booze is for the pancreas - we always think about the liver, but it’s hard on that organ too. Not saying that’s what caused cancer in these cases, but lately I’ve been wondering how much cancer death alcohol is responsible for.

It is odd how some folks will get all bent out of shape over a few harmless PPB of glyphosate, then turn around and willingly imbibe in alcohol, a well known carcinogen, with beverages containing anywhere from 50 million to 500 million PPB or more!

Still, as carcinogens go, it's hardly the worst thing you can do to yourself, medically speaking. It does cause some cancers,
    https://www.aicr.org/resources/blog/study-daily-alcohol-drink-shortens-life-and-ups-cancer-death-risk,

while seemingly reducing other causes of death enough that: "Numerous studies have shown that moderate and even heavy (up to 4 to 6 drinks per day) drinking lowers overall mortality. Here is a recent, often cited, one:" http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/1/199.full

Something is gonna get everyone eventually!

1 week later
    #5509 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Only John Astin (Gomez) is left.
    He'll be 93 in a couple of months.

Yeah, the Google suggestion where I learned of Loring's passing claimed she was the last one alive, and I'm like "when did Astin die?" Then I was happy to find that his death would be news to him, and that my memory wasn't that bad!

#5519 1 year ago

You know you are old when the algorithm feeds you ads for nothing but denture cream, fiber supplements, hearing aids, adult diapers and preplanned funerals.

#5527 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Lot of this stuff gets advertised when I watch Andy Griffith. Another thing I didn't learn to appreciate until later in life. I thought the show was ok when I was a kid. Now it's pure magic.

Yeah, for me, watching TVLand and the like without TiVo is pure hell! But I hate commercials in general, so I TiVo everything, even football.

Drives me nuts, all these "free" content streaming services popping up with stuff I would watch but cannot record to TiVo for zapping purposes. It's like being transported back to 1998 in a way. I am tempted to try recording to VHS again!

I think ads are to blame for most of what's wrong these days, and Idiocracy is looking more and more like a documentary!

#5528 1 year ago

Lawrence Welk show classic:

1 month later
    #5587 1 year ago

You know you are old when not only do you still use DVDs, but you return one to the library, not realizing the disc is still in your DVD player!

#5593 1 year ago

I see lots of people who are no older than me, who LOOK a lot older.

I guess I have just paced myself better than they did. Not ever smoking cigarettes surely was a factor.

But I don’t want to get too glib; this age estimator site friggin nails it:

https://howolddoyoulook.com/

1 week later
    #5679 1 year ago

I definitely remember crawling under my 1963 Impala in the dead of winter, on our frozen gravel driveway, to swap out the starter.

I have other stories about that car, maybe I'll add them to the Memories thread eventually.

#5688 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't think they teach Roman Numerals in school anymore.

I was taught Roman numerals back in the 70s, fat lot of good it did me. I knew Benjamins were called C notes, but I never connected those particular dots, and was never curious enough about that idiom to look it up. Now all I can say is, duh!

Still, no one says V notes, X notes, or L notes, so maybe I'm being a little hard on myself.

#5741 1 year ago

I always wondered whether Cat/Yusuf/Cat was bothered by the fact that his other biggest hit was a cover of a Sam Cooke song. Both Morning Has Broken and Another Saturday Night peaked at number 6, and now you tell me he didn't write the other one either? Ooh, burn!

2 months later
    #5884 10 months ago

Or how aspirin could counteract whatever a jammer is!

My first guess was another word for Boom Box but my daughter has never heard of that, so I don't think it's an age thing. Maybe it's regional?

#5888 10 months ago

I choose to take that revelation as proof I'm not really old, since I haven't hung out with enough old people to pick up any slang terms for heart attack!

1 week later
    #5935 10 months ago

... when this kind of thing strikes your fancy. Found it at a thrift store for a buck, so I thought, what the hell?

PXL_20230621_023255401~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20230621_023255401~2 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #6154 7 months ago

What blows my mind is the older you get, the older they tell you that you can expect to live. Almost makes you wonder how you ever die then!

#6155 7 months ago

You know you are old when you see this on a T shirt and you want one:

IT'S WEIRD BEING
    THE SAME AGE
    AS OLD PEOPLE

3 weeks later
    #6181 7 months ago

That museum should get its facts straight. Panasonic did not make the Discman, that's a Sony trademark.

#6184 7 months ago

Take backsies allowed.

#6198 6 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:I had that Panasonic tape player in blue.

I have one now! And a blue 8 track, and a whole line of their funky ball "Panapet" radios.

1696030996192678479406489305316 (resized).jpg1696030996192678479406489305316 (resized).jpg16960310931244063301139790277771 (resized).jpg16960310931244063301139790277771 (resized).jpg16960311238161611661659688756728 (resized).jpg16960311238161611661659688756728 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #6216 6 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

... when your night time regime looks like something the DEA could take an interest in.
    [quoted image]

... when you have so many meds that it becomes a good idea to only spend time opening each bottle once a week!

IMG_1713 (resized).JPGIMG_1713 (resized).JPG
    #6217 6 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Off topic: When you travel you need to haul all those scrip bottles with you. No tossing your pill into a daily pill container. You need to have the label proof you can have these pills.

You'll only get in real trouble in the case of controlled substances, but be prepared for much inconvenience if someone decides to hassle you, especially with unmarked pills. Pics on your phone of the original bottles ought to suffice, unless you are someone likely to be profiled, unfortunately. And some "public servants" are not beyond planting something...

#6226 6 months ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

Sheepishly smiles. Sometimes you just cant play a 45 without it. Ever put a 45 on without it, how hard was that to get straight?

More appropriate for the childhood memories thread, but this made me remember putting the 45 on off-center on purpose!

reee-errr-reee-errrr-reee-errrr

#6242 6 months ago

I still have some kids' 78s around here somewhere from when we were little.

One I recall having is one that would be considered inappropriate these days: Little Black Sambo

#6296 6 months ago

I like how on Let's Make a Deal if you pick a door and he shows you one of the other doors, you double your chances of picking the right door if you change your pick after that.

#6334 5 months ago

We had a split high school system, one campus for grades 9 and 10 (ages 15 and 16) and one for 11 and 12. Despite this, both schools had a student smoking area outside, even though smoking was illegal under 18. Almost no one was 18 at the first one! But the real fun smoking was going on under the trees out between the soccer fields...

#6349 5 months ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

…when you need glasses in order to find your glasses.

Ha! I'm checking Pinside as I take a break from looking for my glasses for last 20 minutes!

1 week later
    #6407 5 months ago

Kind of mind boggling that my entire 1200+ CD collection fits, ripped, on a Micro SD card smaller than my pinky fingernail.

But the CDs still look cooler!

PXL_20231107_044759981 (resized).jpgPXL_20231107_044759981 (resized).jpg
    #6419 5 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Assuming those are decorative matches in all those tall round containers....that's ol" school for sure!

Nope, they are kaleidoscopes mostly, a couple telescopes. Very old school entertainment!

3 weeks later
    #6641 4 months ago

That 1965 color TV for $395 sounds like a reasonable price to today's consumer, but the inflation calculator tells us it would be $3,858.10 in today's dollar!

It sure is something how you can easily get a 55 inch HD set now for $395!

2 weeks later
    #6752 4 months ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Remember when KFC had the $5 Fill-up? That thing is well over $10 now.

I remember the 99 Center jingle:

The 99 Center, the 99 Center,
    Two finger-lickin'-good pieces of chicken, rooooooll, and cole slaw!

1 week later
    #6840 3 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Nah, I'd rather 'Have it your waaaay, have it your way, have it your way at Burger King! (Special orders don't upset us)

Ahem... it's

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way...

2 weeks later
    #7050 3 months ago

Speaking of shoulders:

For several years I was plagued with a stiff neck and right shoulder. I was stumped as to what could be causing it, why it was so persistent, and how it never seemed to be getting better.

Then one day I happened to pay attention as I was walking into the house from my workshop via the garage. There is a four-step landing leading from the garage into the house, and I was in the habit of grabbing the banister and swinging around the corner as I mounted the steps when approaching from the shop. I was like, hey, that's stress on just the right side, with no corresponding yank ever on the left to balance it out. Could that be the cause?

So I made it a point to stop grabbing and swinging around the corner, and here a few months later, no more stiffness! Funny how such a little thing caused so much grief, but I'm sure glad I figured it out! I'm sure if I was younger it wouldn't have been such a problem to begin with...

1 week later
    #7116 83 days ago

Gas mowers and blowers have little if any emissions controls. A gas mower pollutes in one hour as much as driving a gas car 300 miles. A gas blower pollutes in one hour as much as driving a gas car 1100 miles! Not to mention the noise pollution!

My electric mower batteries are going on their fourth season. Best of all, I used to get a clogged up head from allergies whenever I mowed with a gas mower, but with the electric I am not subjected to gas fumes and exhaust obviously, and the dust and pollen by themselves no longer bother me.

#7165 82 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Nowadays, there is a brand called Sharp. They are designed to not be repaired. They are built as throwaways to clog up the landfills. It's sad.

Surely that's a typo, you must mean those plastic wonders, the Shark vacs.

1 week later
    #7248 72 days ago

I remembered ours, in Appleton WI: 734-0123.

Interestingly, I found a story online about how it had been in place since 1950, back when you only had to dial 5 numbers for local calls. Around 1969 it went to 7 digits. Then in 2008, AT&T dropped the time service but a local guy grabbed up the number and kept it going, which it still is, now featuring date along with time and temperature. Of course now you must also dial the area code, 920... but it still works!

1 week later
    #7307 63 days ago

Bailey and Mrs Kotter!

1 week later
    #7377 53 days ago

Price Is Right rerun watchers, I would be very interested if you could discover for me an episode from the 90s where they gave away a Whirlwind pinball machine.

It would shed light on a mystery that still haunts me from my early Craigslist pin buying days.

Long story short, I was on Cloud 9 for a couple days back then when I was first responder to an ad ostensibly selling the game that this guy's father had won, still repacked in its box many years later, until I asked him to pop the box open for a shot of the game inside, which despite it being a Whirlwind box turned out to be a Gottlieb Rock!

To this day I wonder whether the Whirlwind was perhaps kept for TPIR's breakroom and their old Rock substituted (hey, a pin's a pin to a non-pinhead, right?), or if someone knowing they had it packed away swapped it on him, or maybe I was just being gaslit? Knowing one had actually been won on the show would at least help to rule out that third possibility...

I mean, it seemed legit, he seemed angry about the swap and said he would complain to the show despite it being many years later, but I never did hear back from the guy.

Alternately, if I was being fooled with by someone near Milwaukee, it's been long enough that they could come clean and we'd all have a good laugh. At least it would mean closure!

1 week later
    #7401 46 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

But not 01/01/01?

1 month later
    #7591 6 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Do you remember an episode where Maynard got super powers somehow and picked up the corner of a building?
    Never seen this episode again, beginning to think it was an illusion.

Season 4, ep 31 finds Maynard with superhuman strength after taking some experimental energy pills, whereupon he is encouraged to make money by becoming a boxer. Does that ring any bells (pun intended)?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=danqverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.