IMG_0881 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0880 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1775 (resized).jpeg
20231024_002110 (resized).jpg
20231021_115435 (resized).jpg
20231024_001156 (resized).jpg
IMG_9695 (resized).jpeg
20190706_143848 (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Trying to troubleshoot why the veri target is scoring 40k but not spotting a body part or scoring life force when applicable. Is there a switch past the 40k for spotting those values? Game is at the club and I dont have a manual to reference. I cleaned the vari target rivets up but no joy. The swiper lands on the rivets except for the last single one that it continues past a good bit, so either it's not supposed to stop on that one or some kind of stop is missing. Next time I'm down there I'll take the target out and do some more investigating. Is there a place to order either the connectors for the switches on these boards, or a .156 IDC terminal that can be found? Can someone help me out with a photo of the manual that shows the switch numbers and or switch matrix?

Here is the switch matrix pic from the manual. Let me know if you need any more. The Vari target is on the left there.

20201109_154917 (resized).jpg20201109_154917 (resized).jpg
#302 3 years ago

Thanks, this will give me something to go on next time I'm at the club!

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I just got to work but I can take pics and post them in the morning if noone has yet. I did post a few pics from my manual on my restoration post but not sure if that would have any info you need.

Welcome to the club! Pick up the Cliffy protectors before you install your new ramps. Don't want to break the new ones. They are made from thicker plastic and are more durable but I added them just to make sure. I'm getting ready to LED ours out here soon.
Where did you get the NOS translight?
Also when you order new ramps don't forget to buy the new decals for the ramp as well.

Do you have a link to the ramp decals?

#304 3 years ago

I bought them from Marco.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/25103

Pinball resource has them that you can purchase individually if you have an account with them. Scroll down to genesis to see the ones available.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfplayfSS.htm#LIM

#305 3 years ago

Now if somebody would just make plastics sets.

-Hans

#306 3 years ago

Yes! I emailed PBR many times about it and they said they have NO plans to make them at any time. Anyone get any info when or if someone is going to recreate them I would definitely pay good money for a set.

#307 3 years ago

I see a bracket to hold the most forward position of the vari-target. Is there supposed to be one on the back? Anything jumping out at you guys?

(Of course now pinside wont let me upload photos I'll update the post when it works)
20201112_152849.jpg20201112_152849.jpg

20201112_152849.jpg20201112_152849.jpg2020-11-1215.28.162252915738393039995.jpg2020-11-1215.28.162252915738393039995.jpg2020-11-1215.28.162252915738393039995.jpg2020-11-1215.28.162252915738393039995.jpg2020-11-1215.27.287392302799335882581.jpg2020-11-1215.27.287392302799335882581.jpg2020-11-1215.27.287392302799335882581.jpg2020-11-1215.27.287392302799335882581.jpg
#308 3 years ago

I'll have my playfield up tomorrow and I will check it out. Have to leave for work soon so I don't have time right now.

#309 3 years ago

Actually got it sorted. The rear "catch" coil needed a slight adjustment. Spotting body parts and life force generator now work. Now I have to figure out why the lady motor works when the game boots up but not after hitting life force generator in game.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Actually got it sorted. The rear "catch" coil needed a slight adjustment. Spotting body parts and life force generator now work. Now I have to figure out why the lady motor works when the game boots up but not after hitting life force generator in game.

Did you collect all the body parts letters first?

-Hans

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The switch most likely needs adjusted. I think I have a picture of it properly adjusted on my post about the reveal.

Edit: I just checked and apparently I never took a pic amd explained why it needs adjusted a certain way. I will try to update that post this weekend as well.

#312 3 years ago

The switch needs to be open in the resting position. The switch triggers the stopping of the reveal when the post on the disc hits the switch. On mine it takes a split second for the motor to stop turning after the switch is triggered making it go far enough for the switch to open and be ready for the next reveal cycle.

#313 3 years ago

The switch seems to be working. If it is not open on boot up the motor will spin the reveal until the switch reopens. If the game is started with the switch open nothing happens as it is already in place. If you manually activate the relay it will spin the motor a full revolution and stop when the switch opens. If you hit the life force generator when flashing it does the big flashing and music but the reveal doesnt spin. Any ideas? Hard working through this without a manual, I appreciate the help!

#314 3 years ago

Okay sorted it out. It needs to be CLOSED at rest, but set so that it will open when passing the switch, and with the residual energy go far enough to go back to CLOSED. Thanks yall.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Okay sorted it out. It needs to be CLOSED at rest, but set so that it will open when passing the switch, and with the residual energy go far enough to go back to CLOSED. Thanks yall.

Sorry I had that backwards. I haven't had to mess with it since I adjusted it. Haven't had my playfield up either lol. Glad you got it figured out

#316 3 years ago

That's a really funky system. The switch really needs to be set *just right* to be able to open and close again by the momentum of the motor. Thanks yall for the help.

#317 3 years ago

Ordered from Comet Monday morning. Got all the bulbs we needed, the flipper & start button kit, and the trough light kit. Hoping to see them at my house by the end of the week. Went with cool white GI and white inserts color matched all the rest. Cool white on the trough light. Finally we went with blue for the flippers and start button. All frosted lenses. We like how they spread the light out more under the inserts. We got the sample pack from Comet last week.

#318 3 years ago

Got all LEDs trough light and buttons installed. Turn down the brightness on my camera so it wouldn't looked washed out. More than pleased with the final results.

20201122_135153 (resized).jpg20201122_135153 (resized).jpg
#319 3 years ago
20201122_135305 (resized).jpg20201122_135305 (resized).jpg
#320 3 years ago

Genesis - Reassemble!

Thanks to Freeplay40 for the awesome ramps. Completed full tear down & restore of the playfield. Went with pink LED's in the pops & the upper lane guides. Waiting for new pop bumper caps to complete.

20201128_170536 (resized).jpg20201128_170536 (resized).jpg20201128_170718 (resized).jpg20201128_170718 (resized).jpg20201128_170732 (resized).jpg20201128_170732 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#321 3 years ago

Hi, i just got a genesis machine that was sitting for a looooong time. I got it working cleaned, ordered new ramps (clear ), orings nvram convertion ect. Im toying with the idea of changing some of the lighting. Any suggestions? Also the tinted window in the playfield is not in the best shape does anyone still sell them? I know i can make it but if i can find one for a reasonable price..... at anyrate i love this game

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from That-guy-again:

Hi, i just got a genesis machine that was sitting for a looooong time. I got it working cleaned, ordered new ramps (clear ), orings nvram convertion ect. Im toying with the idea of changing some of the lighting. Any suggestions? Also the tinted window in the playfield is not in the best shape does anyone still sell them? I know i can make it but if i can find one for a reasonable price..... at anyrate i love this game

I got mine from Ven but I don't recall what I paid for it though. Send him a message he might make you one. Cliffy makes the ramp protector kit. Welcome to the club! We love ours as well. I made a thread when we fixed our up. Turned out great.

#323 3 years ago

Yup i just order a window from ven. Its all coming together. I just need to think what i might want to do with the lights

#324 3 years ago

Just got my Genesis today!!!

It’s in pretty good shape. New clear ramps from freeplay40 ready to install as soon as the cliffies arrive. Manuals on their way as well.

Couple of issues/questions.

The varitarget sticks and keeps scoring repeatedly once in a while. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about this and should be able to tackle it.

The entire display went out one time in the middle of a game. Power off/on brought it back. Also, the bottom row of the display is noticeably dimmer than the top row. Any ideas about this?

During one game the music stopped for maybe 45 seconds while sound effects continued normally. Is this “normal”? Does this system have separate circuitry for each? If so I’m hoping it’s just a loose connection.

And a couple of times I’ve heard 5 knocks from (presumably) the knocker during play. I think it might have been when earning an extra ball or something. Is this normal, or is the machine trying to tell me something?

Thanks, and glad to join the club!

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That's a really funky system. The switch really needs to be set *just right* to be able to open and close again by the momentum of the motor. Thanks yall for the help.

im having troubles hitting that sweet spot any advice

#326 3 years ago

Coos made a Genesis backglass for me

genesis-1 (resized).jpggenesis-1 (resized).jpg

IMG_2901 (resized).jpgIMG_2901 (resized).jpg

IMG_2906 (resized).jpgIMG_2906 (resized).jpg

IMG_2905 (resized).jpgIMG_2905 (resized).jpg

(lots of glare prevents me for getting decent picz...)

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Coos made a Genesis backglass for me
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
(lots of glare prevents me for getting decent picz...)

Holy crap that’s gorgeous! How can I get one?

#328 3 years ago

That backglass is now in high demand I'll take 2

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Holy crap that’s gorgeous! How can I get one?

I am in love with it too Check out Coos his website:

http://coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

IMG_2918 (resized).jpgIMG_2918 (resized).jpg

IMG_2919 (resized).jpgIMG_2919 (resized).jpg

#330 3 years ago

Has anybody ordered any of theses from the states?

1 week later
#331 3 years ago

Just bought and picked up my Gottlieb Genesis this past week, and submitting my application to the club.

It’s in working condition, pretty good shape, but extremely dirty. Original ramps are in decent shape, but immediately ordered Cliffy ramp protectors and awaiting their arrival. Installed an LED bulb / strip into the back box. Completely tore down the playfield for a deep cleaning, and upon removing the ramps found the “Clock” plastic (upper, left corner) had damage and was partially melted (from one of the #67 bulbs).

Does anyone have a good, high quality image of this “Clock” plastic they could post or send to me? I am going to make a reproduction plastic, but need a complete good quality image. Thanks for any and all of your help.

#332 3 years ago

Curious to see how your repro plastic turns out. Mine is also broken along with the left sling plastic.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Curious to see how your repro plastic turns out. Mine is also broken along with the left sling plastic.

I have successfully reproduced plastics for several games including Mars God of War and Spirit. My left sling plastic has a chipped / broke off end, but the artwork is still good. I will be doing both “lower” ((because they are stacked) plastics as well.

4 weeks later
#334 3 years ago

Just finishing up my Genesis restoration using the artwork from samish !

I bought a star post set from Bestofpinball that had a siamese star post in it.
But I can't find a location for it - it doesn't show up in my teardown pictures and I can't see it in any of the pictures here.

Does anyone know where it goes ... ?

2021-02-28 17.37.44 (resized).jpg2021-02-28 17.37.44 (resized).jpg
#335 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Has anybody ordered any of theses from the states?

Also interested... very curious what the cost might be.

#336 3 years ago

Greetings!
Sorry for my English. I am engaged in the restoration of the device, does anyone have a PDF instruction file for Genesis, or at least a photo of the page where and what sizes of rubber rings are used?

4 months later
#337 2 years ago

I just found this club. I have a question about the backglass. My cabinet just has a piece of glass with a loose poster behind it, I looks OK but it is just faded. Is this correct?

I am just contacting Coos to get a price for a new one and I am wounding if I get a poster of a proper Translite.

Quoted from MarAlb:

I am in love with it too Check out Coos his website:
http://coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

2 weeks later
#338 2 years ago

Seeking help and guidance with a problem that just occurred with my Gottlieb Genesis pinball machine. My daughter was in the middle of playing a game, when the music started fading and the score display went completely blank. The flippers were still operational, but pop bumper and drop targets were dead. When the pinball drained into the outhole, nothing happened. Cycled the power to the machine, and the game will not reboot.

Any ideas or leads where I can start to troubleshoot? Checked all fuses >>> good. Daughter is having a graduation party this weekend, so hoping to get this repaired and resolved. Thanks in advance.

1 week later
#339 2 years ago

Anyone one need these for their game. I got several of these partial NOS sets from an old distributor in a larger deal; sold a few at Allentown and this is the last of them!

539289D0-17CB-41A9-8402-2D8280AF0AED (resized).jpeg539289D0-17CB-41A9-8402-2D8280AF0AED (resized).jpeg

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Seeking help and guidance with a problem that just occurred with my Gottlieb Genesis pinball machine. My daughter was in the middle of playing a game, when the music started fading and the score display went completely blank. The flippers were still operational, but pop bumper and drop targets were dead. When the pinball drained into the outhole, nothing happened. Cycled the power to the machine, and the game will not reboot.
Any ideas or leads where I can start to troubleshoot? Checked all fuses >>> good. Daughter is having a graduation party this weekend, so hoping to get this repaired and resolved. Thanks in advance.

Faced exact same symptoms. Took months until I solved the problem; gone crazy, even replaced boards... Turned out to be a fuse problem. Checked the fuses with a MM, all readings OK, so not considered in my actions taken. Last week I replaced ALL of them (in the cabinet as well as under the playfield) and all went back to normal! So one of them tested good and failed under load after "warm-up". Maybe this will not help you, but I think is worth a try.

IMG_0458 (resized).JPGIMG_0458 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#341 2 years ago

PSA, if you value your eyesight, don't put flasher bulbs under the ramps. But if you value sweet effects, *definitely* put flasher bulbs under the ramps!

Also, anyone want to sell me a set of plastics? I have a couple missing/broken.

Edit: D'oh! I should have looked back 2 posts.

1 month later
#342 2 years ago

Yep, I had to chase down the dimmest flashers I could find. Took a few tries. Think I ended up with comet 5smd flashers eventually.

Still bright but workable in blue/green colors.

2 weeks later
#343 2 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm now owner of a Genesis.

Did anybody have new colored ramps?

BR Jan

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from jsmall:

Hey guys,
I'm now owner of a Genesis.
Did anybody have new colored ramps?
BR Jan

Welcome to the club!

Freeplay40 sells the ramps in clear. They are much more durable than the stock ones. He may sell them dyed but I'm not sure.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

Anyone one need these for their game. I got several of these partial NOS sets from an old distributor in a larger deal; sold a few at Allentown and this is the last of them!
[quoted image]

Do you still have any of these plastics? If so I'm interested and need at least one of them. Specifically the one in the middle of your picture that goes next to the right flipper. Would be interested in the rest as spares.

If you've sold them does anyone have a spare of that plastic that goes next to the right flipper?

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

PSA, if you value your eyesight, don't put flasher bulbs under the ramps. But if you value sweet effects, *definitely* put flasher bulbs under the ramps!

I have flashers under my ramps. It was too much until I printed a set of these out of Glow in the Dark PLA. They are semi-translucent and block some of the harshness. I am working on a few other designs to make this more "interesting". They are open on the backside. I probably need a pic of that.
IMG_20210929_170343602 (resized).jpgIMG_20210929_170343602 (resized).jpg

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I have flashers under my ramps. It was too much until I printed a set of these out of Glow in the Dark PLA. They are semi-translucent and block some of the harshness. I am working on a few other designs to make this more "interesting". They are open on the backside. I probably need a pic of that.
[quoted image]

Those look really good. I haven't use glow in the dark filament for a while. It seemed to print really well but it seemed to wear the nozzle out and enlarge the hole in it (at least the standard brass ones) so you may want to watch out for that if you print a lot using it.

#348 2 years ago

In case any of you are curious about the LISY80 MPU it seems to work great in Genesis. I had built the board a while ago but this was the first time I was able to try it in a game. Takes a little longer to boot but once it does it plays just the same.

20211124_163920 (resized).jpg20211124_163920 (resized).jpg
#349 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

In case any of you are curious about the LISY80 MPU it seems to work great in Genesis. I had built the board a while ago but this was the first time I was able to try it in a game. Takes a little longer to boot but once it does it plays just the same.
[quoted image]

I haven't put my LISY80 together yet, but have a working MPU in my Genesis. Is there someone out there who is modifying game code for the LISY?

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I haven't put my LISY80 together yet, but have a working MPU in my Genesis. Is there someone out there who is modifying game code for the LISY?

I haven’t heard of anything for Genesis yet. I think you can alter the sounds for the regular game with the optional daughter board. Otherwise I think you need to code the whole game the way you want with the framework. May try that sometime. Just popped in the board for testing. Using the WiFi hotspot for troubleshooting works great.

Was able to rebuild my original boards and those are all back in the game now.

Just wanted to let others know that the LISY80 seems to be a good option if you need an MPU.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-genesis-club/page/7?hl=cadmium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.