Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by RDmitry
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Searched this whole thread and didn’t see any mention of cardboards being remade. Just people asking for them. Haha

Maybe it was someone who restored one and started a separate thred. Sorry I thought i read it somewhere.

#202 1 year ago

No worries. I’ll keep looking and report back if I find anything.

Jay, let us know if you find time to take this on.

#203 1 year ago

Anyone still selling alternate translites?

1 week later
#204 1 year ago

Can someone take some pictures of the wiring of the coil that releases balls into the shooter lane and the disc transistor that is right next to said coil?

Thanks!

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can someone take some pictures of the wiring of the coil that releases balls into the shooter lane and the disc transistor that is right next to said coil?
Thanks!

I had to replace the transistor on mine when I was fixing it up.

gene_coke_bottle (resized).jpgGenesis Ball Release (resized).png
#206 1 year ago

Thank you! I thought mine was bad too, but replaced it and still that coil doesn’t release balls. I can ground the power side of the coil and it will fire, so my understanding is the issue is further up the line.

#207 1 year ago

It's such a silly design for this ball release. It requires 2 transistors. If you've changed the bottle cap transistor under the playfield and it still doesn't work you still need to check another transistor on the board. L14 goes to Q15. That ended up being the issue on mine as you can see from the picture it's blown. Hope this helps.

Image from iOS (resized).jpgImage from iOS (1) (resized).jpg
#208 1 year ago
Quoted from cadmium:

It's such a silly design for this ball release. It requires 2 transistors. If you've changed the bottle cap transistor under the playfield and it still doesn't work you still need to check another transistor on the board. L14 goes to Q15. That ended up being the issue on mine as you can see from the picture it's blown. Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!!

#209 1 year ago

I’m going to guess this needs replaced. Haha

1D5ECD4F-2AA4-4C51-BF0F-11B46183335E (resized).jpeg
#210 1 year ago

What sorta foam are you guys using for your playfield windows? My new Genesis had foam that was totally disintegrated so I cleaned it out but both types of weatherstripping I tried were problematic. The first was too soft and I couldn’t get the window level without the screws sticking up. The second was too stiff and the plastic was arching between the screws.

#211 1 year ago

Steve Young with pbresource.com sells the correct foam washer/spacers.

Edit: here they are on the black hole page. Scroll down a little bit.

http://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html

2 months later
#212 1 year ago

I have a gottlieb genesis that only plays background music. The sound effects do not play or are very faint. I bought this game not working so I don't know what triggers the sounds or what they are even sound like.

Would someone kindly tell me what triggers the sounds in order to troubleshoot further problem is?

Thanks in advance.

#213 1 year ago

Must've been something on soundboard, replaced it now every sound works!!

2 months later
#214 1 year ago

Does anyone have a source other than PBR for the foam rubber washers under the window in the playfield? I am striking out trying to find them. they appear to be 1/2" OD, 3/16" ID and about 1/4" thick.

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Does anyone have a source other than PBR for the foam rubber washers under the window in the playfield? I am striking out trying to find them. they appear to be 1/2" OD, 3/16" ID and about 1/4" thick.

I just cut my own out of some black foam sticky back strip on a roll, shaved it down with a razor blade till it was the right thickness, needs to be thick enough so when you tighten the screws it pushes up on the plastic enough so you can level it with all sides with the playfield.

#216 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Steve Charland posted about using mini post rings cut down for this purpose. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/11#post-2408566

#217 1 year ago

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out the flashers under a ramp start to blink when that ramp is going to trigger a multiball. I kept wondering why they were flashing.

As a side note, anybody aware of any apron cards out there for Genesis? I could use something a bit nicer than the old and yellowed original on one side, and empty space on the other.

-Hans

#218 1 year ago

Also, Pinball Resource does list the foam washers for the window under their listings for Haunted House. Part number GTB-21219, currently listed at $0.40 each, 10 needed. Screws are GTB-FA56, priced at $0.50 each. Assuming they are the same of course.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Also, Pinball Resource does list the foam washers for the window under their listings for Haunted House. Part number GTB-21219, currently listed at $0.40 each, 10 needed. Screws are GTB-FA56, priced at $0.50 each. Assuming they are the same of course.

I am trying to avoid using Steve...he sometimes gets pissy if you buy a ton of the same part. I am looking into reproducing the window and mirror plastics, and I am going to need a pile of these things. I would like to make the replacement parts as turnkey as possible.

#220 1 year ago

I would take one. I missed out when Pinbits still had them in stock

#221 1 year ago
20200224_180341 (resized).jpg20200224_180351 (resized).jpg
#222 1 year ago

Are they going to thread in from the bottom? Sure beats having the ball roll over the screws.

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from crlush:

Are they going to thread in from the bottom? Sure beats having the ball roll over the screws.

If you have screws on the top, someone did that after the fact...the originals should all have 1/4-20 nylon screws bonded to the bottom of the window.

#224 1 year ago

I recently made a replacement window for genesis. As usual I made a few extras if anybody needs one PM me. $35 each plus actual shipping cost. These are laser cut smoked acrylic. I can countersink the holes for factory screws or leave them with no countersink if you want to do your own to match your particular screws.
IMG_20200217_2103536 (resized).jpg

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If you have screws on the top, someone did that after the fact...the originals should all have 1/4-20 nylon screws bonded to the bottom of the window.

I have never seen a genesis that didn't have the window mounted with countersunk flathead screws from the top into "T" nuts under the PF. You either have some prototype or someone modified yours.

#226 1 year ago

Ah crap you guys are right, I'm making windows for Bad Girls, not Genesis... I'm an idiot. I don't have the machine on hand, I was just sent parts to copy. For some reason, I had genesis on my mind.

image003 (resized).jpg
#227 1 year ago

Dumb question...but if the holes go straight through the playfield and the screws are secured by nuts on the underside, there is no reason I couldn't make Genesis windows with hidden screws, like the Bad Girls one.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Dumb question...but if the holes go straight through the playfield and the screws are secured by nuts on the underside, there is no reason I couldn't make Genesis windows with hidden screws, like the Bad Girls one.

The problem might be with the paper artwork surround stapled underneath. It’s hard to work around without damaging it and it may be in the way of some underside mounting.

#229 1 year ago

If it could be made to work, it would be cool to have a version without exposed screw heads to get filled up with wax

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Between the cardboard that is mounted under the window and the flashers I don't think there would be room for the nuts on the bottom. Also if the screws are countersunk properly they really don't mess with ball travel much at all. A non leveled window and the gap between the window and PF is what really screws with the ball.

3 weeks later
#231 1 year ago

Hi all, just re-joined the club with my second Genesis. Thought I was buying a fully functional machine however, I got duped by a shady Pinsider. Shame on me for trusting someone I’ve never bought from before. Nevertheless, The motor for the reveal isn’t activating and I can’t turn it by hand. Looking for some guidance on where to start with this. Any help is appreciated!

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Hi all, just re-joined the club with my second Genesis. Thought I was buying a fully functional machine however, I got duped by a shady Pinsider. Shame on me for trusting someone I’ve never bought from before. Nevertheless, The motor for the reveal isn’t activating and I can’t turn it by hand. Looking for some guidance on where to start with this. Any help is appreciated!

If you lift the playfield there is a relay on the left hand side in the middle. Actuating it during a game will activate the light show and motor reveal I believe. This should help you identify what is working. If you can't turn it by hand you may have a bad motor.

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Make sure your getting power to the motor first. The Motor is hard to turn buy spinning the gears with your fingers but can be done, if you cant then you might need to give it a bit of lube on the bushings, I had to do it with one of mine.

#234 1 year ago

Thanks for the help. When I engage the relay, I hear a hum on the motor and voltage is present at the terminals. I’ve also tried lubricating the gears to no avail. Looks like I’m headed for a new motor/gearbox.

#235 1 year ago

Another question... the robot is tie wrapped to the table on my machine. What is the correct way for it to be attached?

#236 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Thanks for the help. When I engage the relay, I hear a hum on the motor and voltage is present at the terminals. I’ve also tried lubricating the gears to no avail. Looks like I’m headed for a new motor/gearbox.

if it hums its probably still good you just need to free the gear bushings, can you turn it with your finger? my robot was zip tied also, I just cut the zip yies and the tabs hold it in place fine.

#237 1 year ago

I’ve tried to free the gears, no luck.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

I’ve tried to free the gears, no luck.

I highly doubt the motor is bad, spray them with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a few days the try moving them again, even when there free they are really hard to turn.

#239 1 year ago

Giving up on the motor for now. Found lots of issues with this machine. Fixed all but rollover lane change. The right flipper doesn’t change the lit rollover lane. I don’t see it as an option in the manual. Any ideas where to start with this one? Thanks

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Giving up on the motor for now. Found lots of issues with this machine. Fixed all but rollover lane change. The right flipper doesn’t change the lit rollover lane. I don’t see it as an option in the manual. Any ideas where to start with this one? Thanks

There should be an additional set of contacts on the RH flipper mech itself that go to a white/red and white/blue wire that's what operates the lane change. It is piggy backed on top of the EOS switch. You want to make sure that A those are there and B they are adjusted properly so that when the flipper is activated that it closes those contacts. Also make sure the contacts are clean..

#241 1 year ago

Thanks for the info. The wires aren’t there at all. Could the machine have been built without as everything looks original?

C8D400BC-E09F-4C72-B3EC-554D754F588A (resized).jpegD6A68C73-C361-4140-8CE9-F3C58F989A46 (resized).jpeg
#242 1 year ago

The extra switch is at the flipper, not the cabinet button.

#243 1 year ago

Duh! I’ll re-check tonight. Thanks!

#244 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Duh! I’ll re-check tonight. Thanks!

Yep as I mentioned on the my previous post the switch is piggybacked on top of the End of Stroke switch on the flipper itself.

IMG_20200323_1738563 (resized).jpg
#245 1 year ago

Looks like the switch is already closed, you need a little bit of a gap so it closes after you push the flipper button.

#246 1 year ago
Quoted from crlush:

Looks like the switch is already closed, you need a little bit of a gap so it closes after you push the flipper button.

I took that picture of a spare Genesis playfield that I have, there is a gap in it bit it is pretty tiny.

#247 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Man, this machine was butchered... Cut wires and missing extra switch. If someone can confirm that the correct switch is 22398, I’ll get it ordered today. Thanks!

D9552E22-01EB-4B07-B22B-8894969ED847 (resized).jpeg
#248 1 year ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Thanks guys. Man, this machine was butchered... Cut wires and missing extra switch. If someone can confirm that the correct switch is 22398, I’ll get it ordered today. Thanks![quoted image]

I am pretty sure that is the correct part number, it is called a dual End of stroke switch.

#249 1 year ago

Also hit the eos switch tabs with a good solder connection. They seem to be simply wrapped around.

1 week later
#250 1 year ago

Can anybody tell me as I cant read SS schematics for the life of me. The top thumper bumper wasnt working and while checking the switches underneath I jumped and I think I touched the diode while touching the score switch......now the left outhole kicker wint stop firing as soon as I power on the game.
Can someone let me now if I fried the old diode and its causing this?

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside