IMG_0881 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0880 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1775 (resized).jpeg
20231024_002110 (resized).jpg
20231021_115435 (resized).jpg
20231024_001156 (resized).jpg
IMG_9695 (resized).jpeg
20190706_143848 (resized).jpg

There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 7 years ago

I'm really loving this pin and noticed there wasn't a club for it so its time, great rule set, simple and fun, great sounds and music with addictive gameplay. I'm looking into alt translites but I do like the fact that the original is just so damn bad. The clear ramps are a must and I added goldwings pop bumber caps decals with fast blinking RBG led's, might change them to slow.

DSC03184 (resized).JPGDSC03184 (resized).JPG

DSC03185 (resized).JPGDSC03185 (resized).JPG

DSC03189 (resized).JPGDSC03189 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Here's mine, working on another one also.

20161013_170755 (resized).jpg20161013_170755 (resized).jpg

20161013_170812 (resized).jpg20161013_170812 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

Love the clear ramps

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

This is one of my favorite pins. I'm considering sending my playfield out to be touched up and cleared. I've come accross this pic though and I now realize just how deep the blue colors are supposed to be. I had thought my playfield was unfaded...... Does anybody out there have a nos playfield they could part with that has true colors like this pic? If I'm going to pour some money into this pin I might as well do it right.

6Genesis (resized).jpg6Genesis (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I have sold two games I'd like to have back. One was the getaway and the other was Genesis. I don't care what anyone thinks. The game is astounding. The translite is perfect just like it is. No alternative needed. The gameplay and music are addictive and the robot reveal never gets old. I will find another one day but until then I will be stuck wishing I had it

#6 7 years ago

Best club yet! I love this game. I have the clear ramps, but haven't installed them yet. Don't want to take it apart and not be able to play

I agree about the translite. I like the original. I just wish I could get a cleaner one.

#7 7 years ago

The Translite is AWESOME! Haha I love when Gottlieb would use real pictures on the backglass like Spring Break, Hot Shots, Raven, etc... defines the 80's!

2 weeks later
#8 7 years ago

Hello All,

Just started re doing my second Genesis. The first came out really nice. I put in the new clear ramps and replaced the 4 89 flasher bulbs with the flat led panel, so the bulbs sit flush with the pf. They are purple/violet bulbs. Really ads a nice effect when the ball goes up one of the ramps or is locked in. The strobing effect with the zapping sound threw the clear ramps, really pops. Feels like you are watching a Jacobs later.
These are the only LEDs on this one so far.

http://email.photobucket.com/wf/click?upn=71gpQnDR9yiZ1TWxBLkRoh7HST7pQbe6VYv7e7SuGBYNZfCJZYy51IpiRUAd7WjSdkjqqfgh-2BbcTyfx4if-2FF-2BhWV1n6TrH49FZkfMiCAub9FZTl8I-2Bja0rxJRsR1ybCN2zezAT0EguswRtwdPCLp8GsU5sFZKw2dsvT1jwNfNvq3vajG2OL643gPvFyww-2BZv_imXJ2M-2FICt1nz6Y9UWH3fWpElHsjwnZa89tpV1J2uO-2FXXj9IJdM8boF1Tx7-2B4wdBo-2FOQX8xDRdXhOzA1Hj8Axw5-2BDCWlwG7hB4dPX9hNTTbxA309QMupxkmLbqJiGT6MktxGpiR9qWGeFRKaIA7jd4HxlCqk6CRifJfrrdiZDK8tL9dmshAT4FUJQXryg2vV2YKLVpUCijSXPwJ5nIXJtGSTF8NnK0tOvV8Ywdz07L7GDzekgGAdk3AkVgfzFJks

The second one I am still working on, and picked up a hand full of blue, green and purple led 47 bulbs. I like the look.

Definitely a fun pin. The pace of the music and sounds work well with the flow of the bulb.

RJ

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#9 7 years ago

I thought some of you might enjoy my Metropolis Maria robot mod for Genesis.
This was 3D printed from a file found on Thingiverse and painted.

20170212_222013 (resized).jpg20170212_222013 (resized).jpg

Also, here's a link to a short video showing the robot during an in-game reveal.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from rj:

4 89 flasher bulbs with the flat led panel

Do you have a close up of this? I haven't put my clear ramps on yet, because I am so busy playing it.

I'm a little concerned the flashers will seem really bright if I use LEDs and there is no cover. I have thought about using a colored cover for the lights.

I also am considering dying the ramps. I think Purple would look cool. I also like some of the Teal ramps Freeplay40 has made; teal would look great on this game. Red would bring out the high lights in the playfield.

I've also considered dying one ramp blue and the other green to match the body parts they correspond to. Then I can tell new players to hit the blue ramp.

Might just leave them clear...

#11 7 years ago

I'm in. Just bought mine this weekend. Unfortunately my robot won't reveal. I'll post pix in the next week or so!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

Unfortunately my robot won't reveal.

Maybe you need to play better Someone was going to say it, so I figured I would...

You do have to fix this. While it's not the most dramatic event in pinball, it's hard to achieve and feels so rewarding. Love that music!

#13 7 years ago

Just found one close up of the 89 led flasher installed on the left ramp. I originally had white ones in and went to the violet color to go with the purple I had on the pf and to offset the clear ramps.

Since they are flush with the play field surface, even with the new clear ramps, the new violet/ led 89 flashers work out really nice and do not distract from playing the game, since the light is not directly in your eyes. I also added a blue led to the upper left corner. TnT amusement had one on there's in there U Tube video and I liked the look.

RJ

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

I'm in. Just bought mine this weekend. Unfortunately my robot won't reveal. I'll post pix in the next week or so!

I have one robot setup that the gears move really smooth and the other is tight. I have to rember to, once a year oil the tight one, with sewing machine oil. Tried loosening things up... No luck. Dose not bind just hard to turn.

RJ

#15 7 years ago

here are two pics of the 2nd Genesis. Completed led's and a close up of one of the 89 Led violet flasher bulbs. The Orignal white led's were to intense. And the incandescent blinded you, since they stuck out over the PF. And the installed Cliffy Ramp protectors. A must for the new ramps.

RJ

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

If the gears dont turn you need to free them up with a little lube, just a small amount, if they are free then the switch on the turn table is not adjusted right, for it to turn on the contacts need to be open then to stop it they need to touch but then the turn table has to spin enough to get the contacts to open again for the next time. What usually happens is (and ive done it myself) is when you open up the playfield and slide it out if your not carefull you can clip the switch and bend it just enough so it is no longer adjusted properly. On the middle/bottom left of the playfield is the solenoid to turn the motor on, i think its labeled reveal motor or robot reveal, something like that.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks, I think it's a bigger problem then this or a lubricated gearbox. The solenoid won't actuate when the reveal is supposed to occur. I can manually control the motor by pushing to the solenoid tab. I checked voltage coming in. It seems that both wires run normally high at 25v and when it starts the reveal sequence one wire is supposed to go low to ground. It never goes low enough to actuate the solenoid. Any ideas?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

Thanks, I think it's a bigger problem then this or a lubricated gearbox. The solenoid won't actuate when the reveal is supposed to occur. I can manually control the motor by pushing to the solenoid tab. I checked voltage coming in. It seems that both wires run normally high at 25v and when it starts the reveal sequence one wire is supposed to go low to ground. It never goes low enough to actuate the solenoid. Any ideas?

Are you sure that the switch is adjusted properly? I had this trouble with mine. Its kind of a pain to get set just right but if its not opening and closing as it should it won't reveal when its supposed to. You will have to operate it "manually" and watch the switch closing and opening and stop it at the right position.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Are you sure that the switch is adjusted properly? I had this trouble with mine. Its kind of a pain to get set just right but if its not opening and closing as it should it won't reveal when its supposed to. You will have to operate it "manually" and watch the switch closing and opening and stop it at the right position.

Make sure switch on robot rotisserie is open then push in solinoid and see if it does anything, if the the gears are free it should run, the motor runs off a magnet so theres no windings that will burn out right away if the motor doesnt run.

#20 7 years ago

I don't have the manual, Can somebody confirm what pop bumper rings I need to order for this game? I would assume standard industry size but I thought I remembered reading about this somewhere........

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

I don't have the manual, Can somebody confirm what pop bumper rings I need to order for this game? I would assume standard industry size but I thought I remembered reading about this somewhere........

I had some busted metal pop rings on mine and just threw in some standard Bally/Williams parts. Works fine as far as I can see.

#22 7 years ago

Good to know, thanks!!!

#23 7 years ago

Can someone please measure the height and shoulder width of the robot? I need the specs for a project and I'm not at home this weekend....

#24 7 years ago

Can someone take some decent pictures of their boards for me and post them. I had my games all turned on the other day with some friends over to watch a movie, no one was playing, and suddenly Genesis just seemed to lock up, power down and power on and nothing changed. The lower right little board I noticed one blue wire loose, and yes I'm terrible at describing this, but it looks as though it should directly connect to a chip and that it doesn't. Anyway help is greatly appreciated.

#25 7 years ago

I circled in red on this picture the area I was talking about, just stole the shot from google images, but yeah one wire is disconnected going to that chip.

genesis (resized).PNGgenesis (resized).PNG

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I circled in red on this picture the area I was talking about, just stole the shot from google images, but yeah one wire is disconnected going to that chip.

Do you plug it into the little board? If not as long as its not jumping something out it shouldnt matter unless you have it plugged in, the small board is a reset board in case the mpu locks up the reset board will reboot the mpu basicly the same way as turning the switch off then back on. If the reset board is unplugged and you turn it on and it wont boot up, you probably have a problem elsewhere. You might want to check the power coming into the mpu, should be 5volts. I dont have a pic right now but can upload one later so you can reconect the wire.

#27 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice and help. Greatly appreciated. Busy with work the next couple days but will check it out more closely on Sunday.

#28 7 years ago

Not sure if these help just something I happen to have on my phone and I'm not near the machine right now to take some good pix

20160422_085057 (resized).jpg20160422_085057 (resized).jpg

20160422_085258 (resized).jpg20160422_085258 (resized).jpg

20160422_085307 (resized).jpg20160422_085307 (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Couple more good luck on getting it up and running again great game

20161225_141529 (resized).jpg20161225_141529 (resized).jpg

20161225_141528 (resized).jpg20161225_141528 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

20170311_212005 (resized).jpg20170311_212005 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

Can someone please measure the robot body?

1 week later
#33 6 years ago

Just finished troubleshooting the robot reveal. Found the coil was damaged, unwrapped it, unwound one rotation and resoldered, works perfect. Just needed to adjust the leaf to stop just right.
Then I spliced some led uv strips. One in the gutter and one in the machine. I've got a buddy 3D printing a María and a "metropolis" plaque in glow in the dark

IMG_5370 (resized).JPGIMG_5370 (resized).JPG

IMG_5371 (resized).JPGIMG_5371 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

Then I spliced some led uv strips.

That looks good. Replacing the Maria is a great idea.

I bought some UV LED strips and was thinking about adding them to the game with some glow in the dark bands and details. I also think some glow in the dark lightning on the ramps could look cool with UV flashers. I need to get to work on mine. It's so fun to play that I hate taking it apart.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I need to get to work on mine. It's so fun to play that I hate taking it apart.

I'm the same way, this one has a bum pop bumper that gets stuck and i've been lagging on a major overhaul.

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

Thought I would post a pic of my new ramps and Cliffy protectors. I posted more about them here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/green-and-blue-genesis-ramps

IMG_20170415_104826213_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170415_104826213_HDR (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

I have a brand new set of clear ramps from FREEPLAY40 never used. If anyone wants them just shoot me a PM.
Sold my Genesis and had a spare set purchased before I even got the game... Which, of course, already had them installed

Can also deliver to Allentown show in a couple of weeks.

#38 6 years ago

Hello Genesis Club! I am interested in selling my Genesis but I'm not sure where to price it at. It has the usual cracked, original ramps in it. Glass is not the best. No LED's. Not in the greatest shape but not dumpy either. It plays fine. Everything works as it should. It was our first machine so we've had some really happy times with it. It Could use some love back. I don't really believe Pinside's estimated evaluation.

I want to make the sure the price is reasonable.

Thanks for you assistance.

TR

#39 6 years ago

I hope this is not being too crass but if anyone knows of a decent condition Genesis for sale to a nice home, please LMK. Sure would look nice beside my BoP.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Turkey_Robinson:

Hello Genesis Club! I am interested in selling my Genesis but I'm not sure where to price it at.

Quoted from Chet:

I hope this is not being too crass but if anyone knows of a decent condition Genesis for sale to a nice home, please LMK.

Maybe throw that guy a price

The pricing seems to be all over. Since Freeplay40 made his ramps, the price keeps going up. I bought mine last year for $800. It came with new ramps (not installed), and a few other parts. It did have issues that kept the price low. I adjusted the 5v and the flippers and everything seems good now.

2 weeks later
#41 6 years ago

Getting close!!!

IMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from martimagico:

Getting close!!!

I had one of those backglasses made, but I couldn't do it. The original is a classic

1 week later
#43 6 years ago

The last Genesis I picked up was so worn out. The operator never did anything. Was looking threw the web and came across some pictures of a Genesis that the owner added posts with colored sleeves to the hard hit areas. After seeing all of the bent metal post in the game. I decided to replace them with full metal post and full rubber sleeves.

I had to use pal nuts in a few of the places since the posts came close to other metal objects under the play field. On those I used lock tight.

RJ

1 week later
#44 6 years ago

I'm in! Just picked this puppy up. This is my first foray into Gottlieb land. This machine doesn't have a hard copy manual. Am I correct in assuming there are no PDF copies readily available due to capitalist tendencies? Tried searching the interwebs and came up with nada.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

Nice pick up
Correct on no pdf's

Very fun game looks sweet with Led's and clear ramps

Ebay has 2 manuals up for sale.

RJ

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from rj:

Very fun game looks sweet with Led's and clear ramps

I second this. The ramps are really solid and make the game look great! This is one of my favorites.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from hepgeek:

I'm in! Just picked this puppy up

Nice game, you better get some ramp protectors on before the ramps get damaged.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Nice game, you better get some ramp protectors on before the ramps get damaged.

The protectors are available at Cliffy's, but I don't think they show on his site. Just ask.

#49 6 years ago

Have some clear ramps made by FreePlay40 on the way I won't need. The ol' "deal in place, but seller sells to someone else". No big deal, it happens. My fault for eagerly buying the ramps. Anyway, I'll have an unused/unopened set available if someone needs them. Didn't want to drive to Milwaukee anyway.

Added over 7 years ago: long gone

1 month later
#50 6 years ago

I just finished my plasma disc mod. Went with one disc as the focal point rather than multiples. I think it looks great!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
$ 8.95
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 471 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-genesis-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.