PXL_20240516_210230652 (resized).jpg
fptrgh01 (resized).jpg
fptrgh02 (resized).jpg
20240410_164909 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240503-195552 (resized).png
image (2) (resized).png
20240503_184948.jpg
Firepower Topper 6.png
There are 4,742 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 95.
#4701 60 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

The guy above did better than professionals.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. It's probably because I put more effort into them than the "professionals".

I bought a set of drop target decals only one time; for my first pinball machine (judge dredd). I was very disappointed in them, $15 and I took one look and new I could do better.

Quoted from setzkor:

What kind of paper do you print on, and then are you putting mylar over it?

Here's my typical process: I find a suitable image and re-touch it until I'm satisfied with it.

I then do several black and white test prints with varying sizes until I get the image to the desired size.

Then print out on glossy photo paper. I use an Inkjet printer, nothing fancy. Select "best" for the image qaulity and "glossy photo paper".

You can print out directly on sticker paper but the colors aren't as vibrant.

I then take sticker paper, spray it with 3m spray adhesive (I think the one I use is for fabric). Let it get tacky....15 seconds. Then lay the photo paper over it....image side up of course. Wax paper over the image and then I put several thousand dollars worth of my old text books over the top. I let that sit for a day.

Next day, I cover the image carefully with packaging tape. Lay it down slowly so no air bubbles get trapped. I dont use mylar because I found it doesn't go on as clear.

All that's left is to cut out the image.

#4702 59 days ago

I had mine custom made from stickeryou.com.
I think they turned out really good.

I also ordered mylar drop target protectors from action pinball to go over. They are holding up great.

20240410_164909 (resized).jpg20240410_164909 (resized).jpg
#4703 59 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

... then I put several thousand dollars worth of my old text books over the top.

Got a good laugh out of this line!

1 week later
#4704 50 days ago

Has anyone replaced a leaf switch with a micro switch for Firepower? I'll be replacing my displays and MPU board soon, and I'm concerned about the outhole switches. What kind of micro switch is needed for outholes? Please post picture.

#4705 50 days ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Has anyone replaced a leaf switch with a micro switch for Firepower? I'll be replacing my displays and MPU board soon, and I'm concerned about the outhole switches. What kind of micro switch is needed for outholes? Please post picture.

Copy what is in Williams High Speed.

#4706 49 days ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

If it ain't broke don't fix it? I do not know how replacing boards is related to the outhole switch, but if the outhole seems to work reliably, save yourself work. If it it's flakey, replace it.

I have been flipping my lead switch contacts around as I have problems with them though. Did the top rollovers first as they were not reliable

#4707 48 days ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

The outhole switch isn't usually a problem. You're probably thinking of the trough switches themselves. During the run of Black Knight, Williams released an update to microswitches because the leafs had proven unreliable.

There are a number of newer Williams multiball games you can get the trough plate from. It's been years since I did mine so I've forgotten which game the plate was "from".. but there are two microswitches on the plate, and one stands alone.

The original setup with leaf switches:
fptrgh01 (resized).jpgfptrgh01 (resized).jpg

Converted to microswitches:
fptrgh02 (resized).jpgfptrgh02 (resized).jpg

Just keep in mind, microswitches go bad, too. They are literally just a set of small leaf switches inside a package. They do tend to last longer in general, though.

Richard

#4708 48 days ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Overkill IMO. Leaf switches MTBF is a lot higher than microswitches, and adjustments are a lot easier. What is your concern specifically about the switches?

While you can certainly do it, it's really not needed. The micros' arms can be a chore to get correct if you change to them.

#4709 47 days ago

Ok, I took the suggestion here to print my own decals...but I decided to do extra and confuse myself. So any opinions...glossy or matte?

PXL_20240516_210230652 (resized).jpgPXL_20240516_210230652 (resized).jpg
#4710 47 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Ok, I took the suggestion here to print my own decals...but I decided to do extra and confuse myself. So any opinions...glossy or matte?
[quoted image]

presumably you are going to put tape/mylar over it to preserve the printing, right? If so, the sheen of the paper doesn't matter, only the sheen of whatever you put over it.

#4711 47 days ago

Yep, I protected the bottom one with gloss PET and the other with embossed PC (like spinner decals) and can't decide which I like better...

#4712 47 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Yep, I protected the bottom one with gloss PET and the other with embossed PC (like spinner decals) and can't decide which I like better...

stick them in the machine with the lights on and decide. you dont want to find out you've got a bad glare after the fact

#4713 47 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

stick them in the machine with the lights on and decide. you dont want to find out you've got a bad glare after the fact

Well, that's a bit of a problem...

1715900560731337367775567254326 (resized).jpg1715900560731337367775567254326 (resized).jpg
#4714 47 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

[quoted image]

How many Firepower’s have you done?

#4715 47 days ago

Well, clearly I need 2 playfields, one with stand-ups and one with drop targets to swap in and out right? Doesn't everybody

#4716 47 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Well, clearly I need 2 playfields, one with stand-ups and one with drop targets to swap in and out right? Doesn't everybody

Haha good point. I remember you doing one before. You helped me out with the insert decals on mine.

#4717 47 days ago

Yep, so I figured I already had some of the artwork, so why not redo my original playfield as well. Although, I did have to do some more to repair the blown out areas. I'm thinking I still have some work to do on my halftone repair above... But the ship looks ok to my eye.

#4718 47 days ago

Does anyone know the size of the screw at the top of the left in/outlane that goes through that very skinny metal standoff? I tried a #4 (I think) screw and it's too big. Sadly I don't have the original screw any longer.

#4719 47 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

[quoted image]

Sounds like you don't need to make that decision today.
I applied the decals with the drops installed no problem.. just stick them up there when the game is done and then decide....

#4720 47 days ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Does anyone know the size of the screw at the top of the left in/outlane that goes through that very skinny metal standoff? I tried a #4 (I think) screw and it's too big. Sadly I don't have the original screw any longer.

#5 & or #4
#6 screw is to large.
#5 screw is used for leaf switches.
or a bit smaller #4 screw.
The metal spacer is
https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=HWR06-071206

#4721 45 days ago

Just replace the original MPU and Driver board with BARAKANDL's combo board. Man, this thing plays like new. Barakandl... Thank You, Thank You!
This fixed my start problems and issues with the trough and some switches. Even the score display looks clean now and the right special light now works. (that special light rarely worked) Even though the displays are much improved, I purchased new Whites displays from Barakandl. That is next.

New combo board (resized).jpgNew combo board (resized).jpg
#4722 45 days ago

Reading Barakandl's direction about replacing the displays, he says.."Remove 1/4A high voltage display fuse from the power supply board"
Please, what fuse is this? And do I re-connect when done?

firepower power board (resized).jpegfirepower power board (resized).jpegnew disply white (resized).jpegnew disply white (resized).jpeg
#4723 45 days ago

The one I circled in Red. And no, if you are replacing the original displays, you won't need to replace it. The new displays do not use the High Voltage, so it's best just to remove the fuse to turn off the circuit permanently...

Pinside_forum_8184758_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8184758_0 (resized).jpg
#4724 45 days ago

I would be lost without you guys and Pinside. Thank you!

#4725 43 days ago

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Firepower Archived
As is - “Offering up my Williams Firepower. I’m going to call this one heck of a nice project. Game worked just fine before it was put in storage 7 years ago. Having trouble booting up...”
2024-05-20
Castle Pines, CO
1,750 (Firm)
Archived after: 0 days
Viewed: 134 times
Contributed to Pinside

#4726 41 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Overkill IMO. Leaf switches MTBF is a lot higher than microswitches, and adjustments are a lot easier. What is your concern specifically about the switches?
While you can certainly do it, it's really not needed. The micros' arms can be a chore to get correct if you change to them.

Are you familiar with Williams updating BK to microswitches in the ball troughs because of the unreliable leaf trough setup? Retrofit kits were made available for the earlier BK's. Multiball games from that point on were microswitch trough.

There's no need to worry about correctly bending the actuator arms on the microswitches when you use the correct parts. The microswitch ball trough comes with switches that have prebent wireforms specifically for the trough.

Williams recognized a problem with reliability and solved it. If you think that's overkill or unnecessary, I respectfully disagree.

Richard

#4727 41 days ago

Original question was about outhole not trough. No reason at all to do the outhole switch to micro.

#4728 41 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Original question was about outhole not trough. No reason at all to do the outhole switch to micro.

Correct, which was the very first sentence in my reply to their question. You'll also note in my pics where I converted my Firepower to microswitch trough, the outhole is still original leaf, as is the entire rest of the machine.

Quoted from someotherguy:

The outhole switch isn't usually a problem. You're probably thinking of the trough switches themselves.

Richard

1 week later
#4729 29 days ago

New "Topper" for FirePower

20240603_074856 (resized).jpg20240603_074856 (resized).jpg
#4730 29 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

New "Topper" for FirePower
[quoted image]

I do not think so but it that StarStream?

#4731 29 days ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

I do not think so but it that StarStream?

It's a star ship from "Gundam Seed" aile striker.

I chose it for being very similar to the firepower ships.

#4732 29 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

It's a star ship from "Gundam Seed" aile striker.
I chose it for being very similar to the firepower ships.

It looks very similar.

1 week later
#4733 22 days ago

Anyone know where a person can get the outlane stickers / decals - that say FIRE and POWER on them like in the pic attached to this?

I have seen them on a few machines for sale. If it is in this forum excuse me if it is a dumb quesiton as I have not had time to look through all the posts onthe machine.

firepower outlane stickers (resized).pngfirepower outlane stickers (resized).png
#4734 22 days ago

Not a sticker... It's an extra pair of plastics that are available in the CPR repro set. Not sure if they are available separately.

#4735 22 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Not a sticker... It's an extra pair of plastics that are available in the CPR repro set. Not sure if they are available separately.

Thanks for the info - looked like a sticker to me but makes sense - someone should make them and rake it in selling them for $20 and cost of maybe $4

#4736 17 days ago

RE: www.firepowerpinball.com
Finally the site is back up & (I hope) better than before. I finally bit the bullet and rewrote the entire front end in Wordpress again after my hosting company (Hostica) was acquired by StablePoint. In the transfer, they decided to delete my Wordpress installation and backups. I had the Databases, just wasn’t able to re-link them to the Wordpress site. I’m not a SQL programmer! Anyway it’s the same content, only a few links aren’t populated and I’m getting to those soon. Owners here are doing some great upgrades to your Firepower(s)… Happy flipping!
-Richard (AlienPoker ♥️ ♦️ ♥️ ♠️)

30C-497-1 (resized).jpg30C-497-1 (resized).jpg
#4737 17 days ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Thanks for the info - looked like a sticker to me but makes sense - someone should make them and rake it in selling them for $20 and cost of maybe $4

You could make them… I have a template for the lane guides. You can cut them out of the clear platstic CDs that come in top when you buy CDs or DVDs to record on. You leave the metal lane guides below and add nylon spacers and longer screws. Shoot me a PM… it isn’t hard.

#4738 16 days ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

You could make them… I have a template for the lane guides. You can cut them out of the clear plastic CDs that come in top when you buy CDs or DVDs to record on. You leave the metal lane guides below and add nylon spacers and longer screws. Shoot me a PM… it isn’t hard.

Here's some designs I made years ago which were on an early site. I put them above the metal lane guides like on BK2K or BK. It looked pretty good, so I'm not surprised that FIRE and POWER lane guides were included in the CPR repro set. Here's the link to my lane guide designs:
https://firepowerpinball.com/2ya/0-checklist.html
There are some PDFs you can print for "shopout decals" about halfway down and some other interesting info.
-Richard

1 week later
#4739 8 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I decided to try out removing the top one way gate for the left orbit. I think I saw it suggested in this thread several pages back.
Initial thoughts after playing a few games is tht I like it. It definitely changes gameplay for the better in my opinion. It turns the top rollover lanes into more of an initial skillshot on ball plunge and you can hit the spinner on a good clean shot from the right orbit now.
It also adds more difficulty to hitting the ball lock at the top of the playfeild. With the ball gate in place I can often times get it in that ball lock on a strong plunge the ball will bounce off the gate and go back into the ball lock. Now, the only way to get it into that ball lock is a nice clean spinner shot.
Anyone else try removing the top left ball gate, and what did you think?
[quoted image]

Just did this too. I like it and I agree with what you said. Looks better too. I enjoy the right orbit shot more now that it can loop around to the spinner.

#4740 7 days ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

Here's some designs I made years ago which were on an early site. I put them above the metal lane guides like on BK2K or BK. It looked pretty good, so I'm not surprised that FIRE and POWER lane guides were included in the CPR repro set. Here's the link to my lane guide designs:
https://firepowerpinball.com/2ya/0-checklist.html
There are some PDFs you can print for "shopout decals" about halfway down and some other interesting info.
-Richard

You did such a nice job on the documents and they are a great resource. So helpful when working on these boards and games. Thanks for making them.

#4741 7 days ago

I removed the left gate but ultimately put it back in. I love the right orbit shot to the lanes.

I liked the idea of a skill shot, but it just felt too much like a punishment with it gone.

#4742 7 days ago
Quoted from chill:

Just did this too. I like it and I agree with what you said. Looks better too. I enjoy the right orbit shot more now that it can loop around to the spinner.

Yep, it's fun when you can hit the right orbit and get it to come all they way back around to the flippers.

Quoted from MooglyMoog:

I removed the left gate but ultimately put it back in. I love the right orbit shot to the lanes.
I liked the idea of a skill shot, but it just felt too much like a punishment with it gone.

To me it just adds to the difficulty, which I like.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Atlanta, GA
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnstown, CO
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Smithfield, RI
$ 22.50
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corinth, MS
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,742 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.