IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

--swap out drop targets for the standup targets--changes play--drops "smooth" play and increase flow

Standup targets (especially with new foam) play much faster than the drop version. This is one case IMO that the original style (drops) does not play as well as the modified/cheaper standups. It does make the rules more obvious ball to ball, though, especially for relighting the kickback.

Quoted from ss-pinball:

--"new"/modified ROMs burned onto a single chip--makes pin more responsive and play faster

The 3 proms to 1 eprom mod certainly makes the mpu use less power and is more reliable - doesn't do anything to make it more responsive and play faster though.

Quoted from ss-pinball:

--flipper upgrade to '95 version to increase power and speed play

Angle is too flat on the 1995 WPC version of the mechs. The original is fine as it's one piece, it's the older WMS flipppers that are the bad responsive ones. The system 11 style/early wpc style is fine as well, the stroke is the same.

Quoted from ss-pinball:

What have YOU done?

My machine has system 7 firepower software in it custom written using information from this site:
http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/Manufacturers/Williams/PinBuilder/text/williams_lvl7_programming.html#compatibility

Requires a system 7 board, obviously. All of the original ruleset was implemented from scratch and the following was added: (I'm probably forgetting some of the features....)

2x/3x scoring during multiball (depends on balls in play)
Spinner when lit counts value on another player display so you can see how much you're collecting
You can requalify locks during multiball by completing the standups
You can set the kickback to be lit at the beginning of the ball

A couple other people have this software as well and I know it made it to the TPF either last year or the year before.

2 weeks later
#3295 4 years ago

The metal on the outlane to the left really funnels the ball down there I think you'll find in gameplay that it's not too tight at all. Fill the hole nearer the insert.... I wonder if someone was trying to make your game even harder by moving that?

#3300 4 years ago

Now that I'm looking at your main pic closer, I think your correct location for that guide is someone in between your 2 existing holes. Easy black paint touchup but you'll have to fill both of them to stick it in the middle. Bummer!

#3305 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Is the game supposed to be 3 or 5 ball? Thanks

You put 3 balls in it, but you can set it to 3 or 5 ball (or, anything really from 1-9) - seems to vary by territory. Solid states were always 3 ball by me growing up in central NJ. Other areas might have been different.

1 month later
#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Resistor R150 at the bottom is a little crispy as well. Not sure if it would cause this problem[quoted image]

No, that's the lamp matrix resistor.

They're actually in good shape for those, usually the board is really burnt under them.

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

My firepower will do this but it is very rare. I never figured out why or if it is normal.

It's specifically programmed to do this, the outhole switch has to be seen and the coil fire to move it into the trough - if the outhole switch is not seen and flagged, the game will fire another ball into play.

I added a post to the right part of the under apron area above the trough to help prevent this... just a metal post, no rubber.

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

This seems logical, because I don't hear the coil fire under the apron. Seems like the ball is sneaking by and rolling another into the shooter lane. Can you post a pic please?

Pic posted on this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-intermittent-new-ball-but-no-advance-#post-5182270

#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

This is from your other posting, but it looks like the ball could fall to either side of the post. Is the object to make sure the ball falls to the left side (looking at backglass)? Also make sure it doesn't get stuck on the right side?[quoted image]

No, the object is to make sure the ball doesn't rocket up the trough. You need a ball's width on either side of the post or it could get stuck there, unless you move the post over a lot, which defeats the purpose of the fast moving ball.

If it falls on the post towards the shooter lane, you've still accomplished what you need to do, which is get the ball to rest on the outhole kicker switch so the software can pick it up properly. (at that angle, it's rolling to the left)

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I have heard that when putting leds in this vintage of a game... that you should use non-ghosting. Would this just be true in the insert/controlled lamp sockets? And then use the usual leds in the GI?

Yes and yes.

2 weeks later
#3438 4 years ago

If you continuously are getting the audit mode 1497 code, your ram isn't holding its checksum byte for some reason. When it boots up with the audit code there, the os rom has cleared all the nvram and has reset it back to factory settings.

Cycling the power fast enough to avoid the newly-loaded checksum clearing is what's happening - but it means that your battery power isn't getting properly to the ram.

#3445 4 years ago

22 uF and 100 ohm resistor

I don't think it's on the schematics anywhere though

2 weeks later
#3500 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Has anyone had experience with a Firepower backglass that was reproduced by Williams in 1996?

You sure that wasn't one of the Alan Meyer repro's from that time period? (The fade at the top was more orange than red, and there wasn't as good as/any dithering in the color fade)

#3507 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Their were 2 official repro backglasses make, one in 1996 & another possibly earlier or in the 90s as well? I have one version which the glass is thinner & the "Firepower" lettering at the top is pink not red - not from fade as I read they were printed with pink instead. Otherwise very close to an original. The other has fade on top as clearly orange rather than red (as mentioned)

Not sure which of the 2 repros made is the Alam Meyer glass.

I looked up on RGP the discussions that were going on then - 1988 is when WMS apparently made the 2nd run with the pink lettering and thin glass. 1996-up are the Alan Meyer screens used to make glass, earlier versions were missing the correct dithering at the top in the firepower logo, and the later versions I believe corrected this. I have that version with the bad dither - when east coast shows come back I'll take a peak at Mayfair's current offering as IIRC it's been corrected.

2 weeks later
#3530 3 years ago

That's a typo on firepower pinball's graphic. It's 6802/6808.

#3543 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Why would they reproduce them with a “M”

That's fine attention to detail there.

1 week later
#3559 3 years ago

Those 2 that look burned up? They're bad....

#3571 3 years ago

https://resistorcolorcodecalc.com/

white-brown-gold-gold=91 ohm

You used to be able to tell from the physical size of the resistor what wattage but not so much anymore. If they are the same size are your burned originals, they will be fine though, just don't go smaller unless you know for sure they are 1/2 watt.

I don't think the circuit calls for 91 ohm there though, I don't have a legible set of schematics handy for that boardset so you'll have to double check the correct value. The gold/silver bands never are the start of the resistor calc which helps you ID what value they actually are.

4 weeks later
#3655 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I was going to challenge you on this. I would’ve bet way too much money that my light blinked in attract mode and I’ll be damned! It’s lit solid!

Quoted from Timerider:

This is a known programming flaw embedded in the ROM code and is on all versions, including the Rottendog replacement boards.

#3659 3 years ago

Nope, no wiring hackery.

Fixed software.

#3664 3 years ago

Every Firepower I've seen or owned had 44's in the backbox.

#3671 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

With all the new technologies that are available today, as Judy Tenuta would say,
"It could happen."

It's already been done.

#3677 3 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Awesome! I would think 7 digit score displays are necessary too then? When in 2x or 3x scoring, does the game indicate that somehow?

It blits a 2 or 3 depending on scoring level into the left part of the ball in play display. Normal play ball in play display shows 1 (where is blank and 1 is the ball in play, or 2 or 3, etc.) - when multiplied scoring, that display shows 2_ or 3_ for 2x, 3x, blanking the ball in play but flipping back and forth. It is 7 digit, and requires a level 7 mpu board. It's a complete rewrite of the game into the newer (blue) OS rom using information from: http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/Manufacturers/Williams/PinBuilder/text/williams_lvl7_programming.html#compatibility

Quoted from Xtraball:

Ok so I’m in for this. Who can I pay to do this for me? I have a tendency to screw things up just by looking at a pin and THINKING about modding it. I’m in CT, I’ll drive the game up to 4 hours one way to get it done!

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7f.html is how you physically install the new display set. The wiring for the 2x/3x version's displays may or may not be different than that, I'll have to double check, but the sound board wiring definitely is. You have to make a short new harness to plug your sound board (and commas for the displays) into the upper right connector on a system 7 board. The software referenced on that page is yet another version, which doesn't have 2x/3x scoring, but some other kind of gameplay with "missions" during multiball.

dothedoo and Gizmonic both have this installed in their firepowers (obviously I do too) - Bill's was at the Texas Pinball Festival either last year or the year before it.

It's definitely not plug and play.... if you had a head harness for the displays from a parted out system 7 you could use that instead of modifying what's there.

The hardest part is mounting the credit/ball in play display properly. The other 7 digit displays all use 2 of the same mount points from the removed 6 digit displays. Luckily on the 4 or so machines I've changed displays on I've been pretty lucky in getting that alignment correct. (Flash, Timewarp, and TriZone are the other 3.... TriZone I've never broke 1,000,000 on for some reason I used to kill that machine in 1980 but now, nope.)
display-sound-signal harness diagram copy (resized).pngdisplay-sound-signal harness diagram copy (resized).png

#3679 3 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

I did the 7 digit mod on my Firepower using Oliver's ROMs. I don't recall having to do anything with the sound board harness; it reached fine on its own. Maybe it just needed to come out of one of the harness routing clips?

Oliver's rom doesn't require sound board harness changes. The blue rom which is the 2x/3x variant does because it's a complete rewrite using a different operating system where the sounds are activated via the extra added PIA on the system 7 boards. I'm pretty sure the display strobes ended up being in a different area as well, again, because it's using the blue system roms instead of the modified green ones in the Oliver romset, which were an added on to available space setup vs. something that was purpose designed to be used with the 7 digit displays.

I really like the playfield multiplied scoring feature which is why I didn't use the Oliver romset as is. The original 2x/3x was hacked into Oliver's just 7 digit mod without the mission addition, but that got 'sloppy' fast. Firepower was pretty much at the limit (ram, mostly) of what system 6 could do.

And of course, everyone fixed the right special staying on in attract mode. If only there was one less lamp some earlier in the playfield it would have ended up in column 6 and been part of the original attract mode. The documentation makes it look like there's an empty lamp there, but there isn't - system 6 uses it as a carry, even though there's no physical lamp attracted to it.

2 months later
#3752 3 years ago

It's a super common problem for the immediate timeline of Firepower and a few other games around it; one of the blades is flipped upside-down so the small point is facing the other blade, instead of the nice large contact side.

There was an ongoing discussion on this as well in the classic stern club thread and it was pointed out that the drawings in the parts catalogs actually shows the Williams switches incorrect as well.... personally, I feel like a contact face should face a contact face, regardless of what the drawings showed. Maybe the drawings being wrong for a couple years is why they put so many of them together incorrectly.

2 months later
#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Question to those of you that have installed a new playfield in your game. Did you install Cliffy protectors or not?

No.

#3849 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Looked at the lamp matrix... The F I R E are in the same column as the shoot again... will head there

Try disconnecting the connector to the insert board next time it happens and see if the issue goes away. With a lamp matrix issues could come from an row or column that's in common.

I'd check every single diode in the game to make sure it's not shorted out against something nearby. You have normal lamps in there or LED's?

#3877 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks for the post. That’s allot different than mine
Here’s how mine reacts
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0x5SQMkdXVNCi4ZnxAqkrvYMA#Los_Altos
I just don’t know if this a lamp matrix issue or board ? I had thought it was just incorrectly lighting inserts but there more going on

That's really, really, bizarre. It's running the "fire completed" lamp animation when you complete power targets..... it should never do this.
Then it's adding lamps to it.... should also never do this.

What kind of mpu board is in the game?

#3880 3 years ago

Try the RD board to rule out the playfield wiring.

The power targets are doing what they should until they get to completion.

1 month later
#3923 3 years ago

It serves the same function with incandescent flashers, it prewarms the flasher so that it doesn't burn out prematurely.

#3926 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Is there updated ROM that changes the rules on Firepower from the original ROM? Is it worth the switch? If so, who sells them?

It's on https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=856 all the sets that are listed as "bootleg" as mods.
This is the author of most of them's page with info on it: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

1 week later
#3930 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Is this the first time it's been available or is it another run?

Alan Meyer ran them back in the 90s and they've been sold for decades (literally) by Mayfair as "NOS 2nd run". Original version didn't have the correct dithering fade in the firepower name, but that was corrected.

First time CPR ran them, sure. So I guess it's first licensed run?

#3934 3 years ago

I think the original fades more to red. Can you post a farther away pic? I have one of the 'bad' dither ones but not in a position to go take a pic of it right now for comparison.... couple days maybe if I get near it.

#3940 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

The problem is, per the schematics, Solenoids 2 & 3 are not connected. Since there's a wire connected for them, I can declare the schematic is wrong. So, before I start going hand over fist following these wires, does anyone out there know what solenoids 2 & 3 are?

left and right drop bank resets on the games that have drop banks

the code was never deprecated that still 'resets' solenoids.

1 year later
#4118 2 years ago
Quoted from Robb63:

Hi I have a issue with the right flipper.. As soon as I start a game the right flipper turns on all by itself and the coil started smoking so I quickly turned the game off and I replaced the coil and sleeve and the return spring.. I turned the game on and started a game and the same thing keeps happening any thoughts?
[quoted image]

You have a parallel wound coil in there stock is series wound double check that you moved the wires correctly vs pinwiki to do that upgrade.

#4121 2 years ago

What he didn't mention is that both of his posts were about his FP2.

Still doesn't matter shipped with series wound.... but was switch cap on cab. So my follow up was going to be if his game was from Germany as they seemed to require the caps on switches that could spark in that era.

#4124 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Once the value is "00", hit the advance button - this will take you to function 17 or 19 depending upon the position of the auto-up/manual-down button. That value is now saved and you can power cycle the game

The value is saved every time you advance or decrement it. There's no need to move to the next or previous adjustment.

The adjustment code is (in english) a big loop:

START
read adjustment, display
if pressing credit button, advance or decrement audit and save, then loop to start to display new value.
if not pressing credit button, loop to start to display value.

Every time the audit is put onto the display, it is re-read from the cmos ram. System 6 in particular is ram starved and there wasn't any space available for niceties like saving a temporary value somewhere in case you changed your mind.

Try it and see. System 7/11 work the same way.

This advice of advancing probably comes from WPC era where you have to specifically save rather than turn off, or possibly other manufacturer's like Gottlieb, that one I'm not sure of off the top of my head (I can look later) but bally-stern-williams of this era all save the values as you change them directly.

#4126 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

So... I do not need to go to next step to save free play setting? Why isn't it saving?

Are any of your settings saving?

#4128 2 years ago

If you have 18 on your match display you press the credit button and the numbers on the player displays change. You press advance to get into test.

You are in the correct area when the player one display shows 1497 2 or 6 depending on your ROM revision. Press advance from there to get to 18.

1 week later
#4131 2 years ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I recently purchased a firepower that had new boards installed. The seller gave me the original boards and I would like to sell them since they are just taking up space. Do they have any value? If so, where is the best place to list them?

Yes, many people myself included use the original boards. Do you know if they are working though? Board value goes as: tested not working < untested < tested working. Any damage to them obvious? (Battery corrosion on mpu board, old sockets; Driver board any questionable rework/burnt traces/27ohm lamp resistor excessive burn?)

#4139 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

speculating reasons to jumper an unused pin (IJ3-1) to the memory protect (IJ4-1) is making me crazy.

Probably so that if you plugged in the connector in the wrong spot it would still work? Sounds like a hack for sure.

Quoted from sullivcd40:

The seller actually said he had a buyer freak out on him once because he had thrown the original boards to a game away because they were shot.

That's the type of buyer you don't want to deal with. They'll bug you for months after you bought the machine about every little thing.

#4141 2 years ago
Quoted from shakham:

I'm considering doing this if I can get an reasonable priced EPROM burner/reader that actually works with modern hardware

A lot of the people that burn roms will also burn these. TL866 works with modern systems, but won't do >21v roms (later versions won't go over 16v>, but Quench came up with a mod for that).

I have tried all 3 of the Oliver rom mods for Firepower, and as a bonus, so you don't have to deal with using his patching program, they are on IPDB as 'bootleg'.

It is likely that the mission stuff that requires the system 7 board could be rewritten to work on the system 6 system unless he's using some very large amount of extra ram for something, but he's pretty much retired from the rom-modding for many years at this point.

#4143 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I bought a TL866II plus late last year intending to modify the internal buck converters so it can support 21V/25V program EPROMs.

They should never have stopped making the CS version. I'm glad I picked up 3 of them.... one has a 2532->2732 adapter permanently living on it for those chips.

I have some adapter boards on order from oshpark to stick 27512's in a 2532-type socket, I would really prefer to just have 512's in all my games. Nothing better than eeproms speed in erasing/write cycle.... although I've noticed that they don't last as long as eproms do re: cycles. But they are about a buck each so no big deal.

The problem I'm having now is that you can't put 3x ZIF sockets in a row on the Kahout board the center one just doesn't fit. I doubt the adapter board is going to help that, in fact, might not even fit stock.... I'll know as soon as they get here.

I also had a bunch of boards made to mate a modern eeprom onto a 2532 footprint, but I really suck at surface mount soldering. Might get a hot plate and try that instead. All in the quest to not have to deal with 40 year old chips.

3 weeks later
#4158 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

I can touch up simpler areas and replace inserts but trying to repaint the center pattern seems like an VIP pass to the horror thread.

That depends on if you *HAVE* to have the planet area 100% correct to the original. It's actually one of the easier busy areas to touch up on a game as long as you match the colors correctly - it's so busy that yeah, if you went close up comparison next to an original, you'd spot differences, but from playing position you'd never notice, and it looks good.

You're going to have to flatten the inserts anyway if you hardtop it, which of course is easier since you can just sand away. I don't know if scratches in the inserts show through on a hardtop though.

6 months later
#4221 1 year ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Question for anyone with the Firepower Deluxe version roms installed. Just bought one, and everything is great, except the sound when you play multiball. Sounds get garbled and all messed up. Clears up on the next ball. Only happens when getting multiball. Anyone else seen this? Just wondering if it's a software related problem?

What flavor of rom is this? The Oliver one with the missions? (Also on ipdb). Or some other variant?

1 week later
#4242 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Now I get nothing when I switch it on but it makes me think I am getting power. The plug looks fine as well as the varistor.

Looks fine means nothing. Need to test voltages.

1 week later
#4255 1 year ago

You should be able to if you insert it correctly into the combo ROM. The ROM is just the games roms combined there used to be a rumor that they had been modified but they weren't.

2 months later
#4272 1 year ago

Yes both the l2 and l6 software support automatically the drops wired as the stand ups and you do have to wire up the all drops down signal. Playfields that have the rubber switches likely have the needed wires tucked into the harness.

The game does play slower with drops due to the drop absorbing the balls energy.

1 month later
#4317 1 year ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Anyone here have a set of Firepower Deluxe ROMS for the CPU and sound board? I need to buy a set. I do not have a way to burn my own. thanks in advance if anyone can sell me a set.

Which version?

https://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

system 6, system 6 + 7 digit displays, or system 7 version?

None of them should require new sound roms.

Looks like IPDB scrubbed all the pre-patched versions of these. Pinball universe might have them.

If you want to order from someone Astill entertainment is a good place to get them.
https://www.pinballrom.com/roms

#4320 1 year ago
Quoted from MVCO:

It is a system 6 with 6 digit displays. Do not see them listed on pinballroms.com. Thanks

Yeah, email Dave and check, he should be able to provide them. Give him the link to the patches if he doesn't already have them.

1 month later
#4355 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

...... and down the rabbit hole I went!
SO if I am reading this correctly, If I choose to update to the 7 digit displays, I can use a sys6 MPU but I will have to source a full set of 7 digit displays and the master.
Does that sound right?

Reading what correctly? But yes, all of the seven digit mods other than the /10 need seven digit displays with the controller board. The top stud mounts of the 6 digit display is where you put the 7's tops, you have to make new mounts for the bottom holes and the credit/match display - the c/m is the hardest part to get right since there's no existing holes/studs to locate it.

The master board can go on the back where it fits, and you will need the ribbon cables as well. Easiest is to buy an LED replacement set but make sure you get ribbon cables with them, some/most do not include them.

The seven digit mods usually need some rewiring of the display signals as well.

2 weeks later
#4364 12 months ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Has anyone seen this problem?
1980 Firepower
7 digit Wolfpac displays (came with game when installed with purchase
The original board puked a few weeks ago. Just got a new Rottendog replacement. A few problems involving the displays it seems.
Nothing but zeros on credit display
Ball in play display shows credits at all times. Ball in play display never counts balls, just status on total credits
Player one display, all digits to the left by one, leaving a constant zero on far right.
Player two display, the left most digits show what is supposed to be on the ball in play display. In a two player game, the player 2 display will show score
Player three display, All digits one space to the left.
Player four display, Works 100%. Go figure
Hoping someone may have encountered this?
Thanks!

Seven digit display firepowers (there's at least 3 different versions) require special software to control the 7 digit display board, which Rottendog lacks.

The software patch for the most common one(s) is available at:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

AFAIK it's not included in the RD board.

1 week later
#4378 11 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

I assumed the outhole switch tells the cpu when ball is lost and advances to the next ball on the display. But occasionally I have a ball drain, the kicker fires it through the trough and then it ejects another ball into the shooter lane without advancing to say ball 2 or ball 3 on the display
I would think if it’s activating the outhole kicker, the cpu would no a ball is lost. Any ideas

If the outhole kicker is firing the software sets a flag that lets the trough count routine that a ball arrived newly arrived there. If that flag isn't set the game ejects it instead. I have had a fast moving ball drain and put itself in the trough resulting in the relaunch.

Make sure the outhole kicker actually fired in your similar situation if it did there's more to research.

Iirc the trough count routine weights all of its switches equally and does a count of all locations a ball can be and compares it to what it thinks you should have to determine locks and ball end.

1 week later
#4396 11 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

For some reason, my 123456 targets keep scoring after I hit them. The switches arent gapped too tightly and I cant get the problem to happen in switch test. Whenever it happens the game scores 100 pts continuously along with the arrow sound effect for a good 5-10 seconds. Then it will stop on its own.
A quick look at the wiring on the targets didn't reveal anything obviously wrong.

Hit one target with the glass off. How much score do you get and look at HOW it adds it on..... does it do it 100 points at a time? IIRC it was a design decision by Eugene Jarvis to write the software that way, so that there was a bunch of exciting stuff happening. It's definitely normal for the score queue to get built up and take a while for it to come down.

#4400 11 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Never knew, thanks for the info. Anyone know if if this is any different in the updated code?

Which updated code? Differences between L-2 and L-6 are a coin preset only. I don't think Oliver changed the way the scoring goes on those enhanced versions/7 digit update. The other 7 digit update (blue romset), no, it does it the same way.

#4401 11 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Almost like the point events and sounds get queued up and have to empty out when ball is cradled.

Not almost like, actually like - that's exactly what they did. Other makers did it too (bally/stern.... see seawitch's sound effects when you get drops down after downing the bank once, the DUTTA DUTTA DUTTA DUTTA sound goes 5 times for each, while it adds on the 1k points) Bally you might not have noticed as the generic sounds on the earlier games don't really lend themselves to noticing.

The main loop of all this era game checks and reacts to switches, when idle, checks a score interval timer, which if not expired, adds any waiting scores queued. That timer is what causes the extra long time to empty the score queue. It just so happens on Williams games that an exciting sound effect is played there. (At least to me..... I know I shouldn't be shooting the 1-6 standups unless I need them, but I like the sound effect)

2 weeks later
#4428 10 months ago

There are various software mods out there

couple of variants
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

and an alternate 7 digit requiring system 7 board

2 months later
#4495 8 months ago

Mayfair amusements usually has stock on fp backglass.

#4498 8 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I think it's still CPR though, they are the ones with the license to make it.

It is not.

5 months later
#4565 3 months ago

Yes just electrolytic cap and resistor to give a solid pulse. Not sure if in schematics or not.

#4570 3 months ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

. Went into solenoid test and realized none were working. Changed the 2.5 amp solenoid fuse and the game is good again EXCEPT the right slingshot immediately locks on. This is upon machine turn on, not game start. When I unplug the special solenoid connector from the driver board (left side 2nd connector down), it does not lock on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_3_-_7#Special_Solenoids

#4580 3 months ago
Quoted from Notapinwiz:

If nothing else I can borrow the flir temp camera from work to try and see what's getting hot if that might be the easiest route.

The driver board switch matrix PIA U11 (Upper right corner, it's mounted vertically) is the first thing I'd look at if it's switches.

If it's an AMI branded chip I'd really look closely at that one.

Next time it happens leave the balls exactly where they are and go into switch test and see what switches show as closed. Since there's no drop targets on a stock firepower, you should get JUST the trough switches (or any ball locks you have filled) showing, and ONLY those switches. If there's extras showing (the switch test walks through all the switches that are shown as closed) it might not end the ball (for instance, if the shooter lane switch is shown as closed).

Post the results of the switch test at this point.

#4582 3 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Anyone know exactly why you can't use Yoppsicles in games like Firepower?

Missing diode for lamp matrix

1 month later
#4607 60 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

I have noticed that my "last game" and "high score" have a slight mismatch. It seems to truncate the last few digits off my score.

Example. 717400 is the high score, 717450 was my game score. I'm not sweating 50 points, just thought it was interesting and if there was a reason for it.

It's a bug in the software. I forget exactly what the reason was. I'm pretty sure the high score gets recorded correctly though are you sure you're not misreading the hstd as your game score (hstd lamp lit when hstd on display.... or just on a reboot see what the hstd is)

#4611 60 days ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I get this same behavior on my Gorgar and Firepower...Not sure why it happens.

I used to know I had notes on it somewhere but can't find them.... something with a variable being needed possibly? I thought it was a firepower thing but never looked at the other games as I'd never noticed it on those.

3 weeks later
#4635 36 days ago

It gives a consistent pop. Does nothing for correctly adjusted switch though and with the performance on em style pops of which joker poker is one im not so sure it's an improvement at all... I put it on mine and I didn't notice a difference. It would prevent it from locking on though if the high voltage switch contacts decided to weld themselves together.

2 weeks later
#4659 21 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Boo on WMS for keying two plugs so close by the same.

...and the system 7 plugs that can be cross connected and sometimes have the wrong color connector installed making it REALLY easy to do that. Ugh....

2 weeks later
#4685 6 days ago
Quoted from John1963:

Wondering if following symptoms immediately familiar to someone.
Playing Ok until next ball in play not ejected.
In solenoid test no solenoids except 9-13 (sounds) fire.
In switch test, all switches register except pop bumpers and slingshots.
Special solenoid issue?
TIA
John

Probably popped the solenoid fuse. Not isolated to special solenoids if they are all out. The activation switches for special solenoids are not part of the switch matrix only the secondary scoring switches are

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.