n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg

There are 853 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.
#1 8 years ago

Well other than video games, rc trucks, and pinball I decided to dive into yet another expensive hobby. Jeep the modding has started on my pin hauler. Sknorkel should be here soon.

Also post your jeeps. Haven't seen a 4dr in my color around me only a 2dr.

20160128_142505_(resized).jpg20160128_142505_(resized).jpg
20160205_190120_(resized).jpg20160205_190120_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I will eventually have a Jurassic Park Wrangler. Sadly 20+ year old Jeeps with 200K+ miles are still more than $7,000 around these parts. And I'd love to eventually have a 4 door to replace my wagon. Yours is very nice, and good luck with the modding.

#3 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Love my jeep...but yea, $5k in mods right out of the gate.

#4 8 years ago

Last February; wife and kid drove through an ice storm from MD to NJ. Wasn't quick enough to get a pic before my kid started chipping at the ice. Wish I took a shot of the side - damn thing looked like a comet.

#5 8 years ago

With such a massive aftermarket you would think mods would be fairly cheap.

#6 8 years ago

Cool video about JP Jeeps

Also a good one out there about them rescuing the RV from lost world

1 week later
#7 8 years ago

Big jeep fan here. No offense, but send the snorkel back. Snorkels are for mall crawlers, people who are really into jeeps like to point and laugh at ignorant people with snorkels.

BTW- Here's my ZJ. Its on long arms, 33's, built and locked 8.8 rear axle, 4.10 gears and lots more. Not a huge wrangler fan, I'm much more into the unibody jeeps (XJ's and ZJ's) but man I love me a 4 door JK. If the prices would come down a little more I'd really start considering buying one.

467919_3138989209554_1656702744_o_(resized).jpg467919_3138989209554_1656702744_o_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago

No mods unless floor mats count my street jeep.

IMG_20140704_184528_714_(resized).jpgIMG_20140704_184528_714_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

So I don't own one yet, but I'm geared up to buy a JKU this year. I want to go to a manual trans vehicle that can haul a pin. Not many of those left. Have a Willys W priced and ready to go at a dealer once I'm ready

I've borrowed my father in law's TJ manual 4.0l a few times. Love driving it and the ability to take the top and doors off. Keeps me driving below or at the speed limit. The only issue I had w/ the 2 doors, was the bouncy rear end. In the winter in 2wd man did it want to kick around With 4wd it was solid.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

No offense, but send the snorkel back. Snorkels are for mall crawlers, people who are really into jeeps like to point and laugh at ignorant people with snorkels.

No offense, but who cares what he puts on his jeep? It's his jeep to do with as he pleases - if he likes the look of a snorkel, then he should go for it.

I have 20" wheels on my jeep because I like the way they look better than 16s. Yea, it's not optimal for rock crawling...but I'll be doing that about 0.01% of the time.

#11 8 years ago

Might sell snorkel. The directions recommend professional installation. I doubt I will ever pUT the hood under water but yeah they look cool. Plus I have already been out keeping my jeep non mall rated. I am about an hour from a off raad park in Illinois and indiana. Plus I have found a few local spots to go.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

No offense, but who cares what he puts on his jeep? It's his jeep to do with as he pleases - if he likes the look of a snorkel, then he should go for it.
I have 20" wheels on my jeep because I like the way they look better than 16s. Yea, it's not optimal for rock crawling...but I'll be doing that about 0.01% of the time.

You're right, he can do whatever he wants. Every rookie gets their first jeep and wants to put a useless snorkel on it. They don't know any better. Some people like putting huge double decker wings on their hondas, and they are more than welcome to do that. But all of us who know better are going to sit there and point and laugh at them, so I was just giving him a heads up.

#13 8 years ago

If you get into water you need a snorkel in, you're going to have plenty of other things to worry about not getting wet other than just keeping the intake out of the water.

Maybe I'll see you at the badlands sometime and we can go hit some trails!

#14 8 years ago

I love the snorkel look. But cutting that hole in the fender....errrrr ouch... can't bring myself to do it.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I love the snorkel look. But cutting that hole in the fender....errrrr ouch... can't bring myself to do it.

Yea - I really like the LED DRLs that install into the fenders, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut into my painted fenders.

Quoted from Haymaker:

You're right, he can do whatever he wants. Every rookie gets their first jeep and wants to put a useless snorkel on it. They don't know any better.

I think they are more for bling than anything - like you said, there are going to be a lot of issues if you are in water deep enough to need a snorkel.

#16 8 years ago

What about LED replacement headlights? Quadratec has some and a couple other brands. I've heard good things, but curious if anyone here has them? I hate the stock bulbs on most cars so I get HID's in mine now....freaking love them.

#17 8 years ago

I have the rigged ridge hi/lo for the jk. Mild cutting involved. Just alot of crazy work to get it in.http://www.ruggedridge.com/instructions/17756.21.pdf
Just want it done professionally so I can keep the rust away since it involves cutting the curve on the fender

#18 8 years ago

I am down guess the for cast for out there is supposed to be 62 degrees this week. As always the days I work.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What about LED replacement headlights? Quadratec has some and a couple other brands. I've heard good things, but curious if anyone here has them? I hate the stock bulbs on most cars so I get HID's in mine now....freaking love them.

Not sure about the new style LED headlights, personally I'd just stick with getting an upgraded bulb and adding some auxillary LED lighting instead. I definitely don't recommend HID's in halogen housings, thats another big NO NO and yes I know people such as yourself do it and claim to love it. Its bad news plain and simple. LED light bars are becoming extremely affordable. I wouldn't risk my main headlights on some made in china LED lights sold by over priced quadratech. Just get a good quality bulb in there an add some external lighting that you can switch on and off as you please, plus not blind on coming traffic.

Quoted from dementedwarlok:

I am down guess the for cast for out there is supposed to be 62 degrees this week. As always the days I work.

Don't know when I'll make it over there again but I hope to sometime in late spring maybe around easter. It gets real sloppy out there in the spring time though

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Not sure about the new style LED headlights, personally I'd just stick with getting an upgraded bulb and adding some auxillary LED lighting instead. I definitely don't recommend HID's in halogen housings, thats another big NO NO and yes I know people such as yourself do it and claim to love it. Its bad news plain and simple. LED light bars are becoming extremely affordable. I wouldn't risk my main headlights on some made in china LED lights sold by over priced quadratech. Just get a good quality bulb in there an add some external lighting that you can switch on and off as you please, plus not blind on coming traffic.

Don't know when I'll make it over there again but I hope to sometime in late spring maybe around easter. It gets real sloppy out there in the spring time though

Upgraded bulb still isn't enough. Don't worry, HID in a halogen housing is not my thing.... I actually have LED lights in my halogen housing lights on my SS....not good. Taking them out when it comes out of storage.

LED replacements are from KC, jw, quadratec and truck-light. They are plug n play to the same spot and offer low and high beam.

http://www.quadratec.com/categories/lighting_lenses_bulbs/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wrangler/comments/3hd0zj/should_be_able_to_see_tonightquadratec_led/

headlight1_(resized).jpgheadlight1_(resized).jpg

headlight2_(resized).jpgheadlight2_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have the Mopar LED headlights (made by JW Speaker) and the JW Speaker Fogs and Tails. They are expensive, but they look awesome and visibility is so much better too.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I have the Mopar LED headlights (made by JW Speaker) and the JW Speaker Fogs and Tails. They are expensive, but they look awesome and visibility is so much better too.

Sweet. Can you snag some pics?!

#23 8 years ago

Love Jeeps!!!!
Have a 2010 JK Rubicon on 37's and I have a '48 Willys pickup I'm restoring currently.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#24 8 years ago

Man, sweet looking house!

#25 8 years ago

Love my Jeep!

Everyday driving mode:
photo_2_(resized).JPGphoto_2_(resized).JPG

photo_1_(1)_(resized).JPGphoto_1_(1)_(resized).JPG

Off-Roading mode:

photo_1_(11)_(resized).JPGphoto_1_(11)_(resized).JPG

photo_2_(12)_(resized).JPGphoto_2_(12)_(resized).JPG

And me getting it a little dirty.

#26 8 years ago

I like the Jeep and the license plate.

#27 8 years ago

Thanks! Yeah most people don't get he plates. That's my inner geek coming out.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Man, sweet looking house!

Thanks!

Here is a pic of my current project

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

Might sell snorkel. The directions recommend professional installation. I doubt I will ever pUT the hood under water but yeah they look cool. Plus I have already been out keeping my jeep non mall rated. I am about an hour from a off raad park in Illinois and indiana. Plus I have found a few local spots to go.

Smart move, you really don't want to go that far under water because you have to service the diffs, transfer and trans when you do.
I have a 1980 GMC Jimmy I rebuilt about 10 years ago and went with 4.11s and a Detroit locker.
Off road bumpers and nerf bars and a winch.
I went with a removable winch that goes in a hitch receiver so I can winch from either end and store it so some dirtbag doesn't steal it.
It is a beater not one of those delicate flowers you can't run through the bushes.
I have 2 sets of tires on rims, mudders and tall narrow studded for running it around town in the winter.
It stays on the mountain and is geared for local off roading and getting to the store in 2' of snow.
I had another one, a one ton Dodge Power Wagon with an 8' plow on it but sold it a couple years ago.
For the price of the insurance, maintenance and registration I can pay for plowing and the hot toddy I sip while it is being done with money left over.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Sweet. Can you snag some pics?!

Hard to do on the iPhone - but I lowered the contrast as much as I could - should give you an idea, but they look even better in person.

#31 8 years ago

That's cool this thread popped up. Dad just bought a '67 Jeep J-2000 with the thriftside bed. Motor doesn't turn but he's got it in the shop getting serviced. I think he had the notion after I told him I was looking for a Jeepster. Here's an example of the truck...

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Thanks!
Here is a pic of my current project

That is awesome! Keep posting pics as it progresses, please

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Thanks! Yeah most people don't get he plates. That's my inner geek coming out.

firefly!!!!

I went rock crawling with the ex (she had like a 05 rubi automatic) and someone in the group had a wagoneer that just DESTROYED the trails... that was amazing to watch.

Ok, so looking to get a JKU willys wheeler. How is the JKU on a daily? Getting a manual trans, don't mind driving my inlaw's TJ....but curious on people that drive the jku daily.

#34 8 years ago

Nelly is that at cliffs insane terrain or badlands?

#35 8 years ago

That was at The Cliffs.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok, so looking to get a JKU willys wheeler. How is the JKU on a daily? Getting a manual trans, don't mind driving my inlaw's TJ....but curious on people that drive the jku daily.

The JKU drives like a Cadillac compared to the TJ. So for a daily it's fantastic. I've owned 3 JKU's and they have all be autos so I cant speak for the manual trans.

#37 8 years ago

I'm so jealous of all you guys with the 4 door JK rubi's. I wish the price would come down on them just a little bit more and I'd finally move on from my love affair with ZJ's and XJ's

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm so jealous of all you guys with the 4 door JK rubi's. I wish the price would come down on them just a little bit more and I'd finally move on from my love affair with ZJ's and XJ's

I can't stand ZJs. I don't know what it is. Dad had a late 90s XJ and it was pretty cool but I hate the Chrysler interior of that era. So much crappy plastic. I either have to have the early Spartan interior that's purely functional or the later JKs where they have finally taken some interest in making the interior better. It seems people have more interest in the four door JKs. Why is that? for use with the family?

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I can't stand ZJs. I don't know what it is. Dad had a late 90s XJ and it was pretty cool but I hate the Chrysler interior of that era. So much crappy plastic. I either have to have the early Spartan interior that's purely functional or the later JKs where they have finally taken some interest in making the interior better. It seems people have more interest in the four door JKs. Why is that? for use with the family?

The short wheel base sucks in the snow, unless you are in 4x4. So it is a little more stable, and yes....family and space

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

for use with the family?

pretty much take the whole family on the trail. so far my 2 yr old and 11 yr old daughter are scared but our son he loves it. just used the 4dr to get a black hole just fit had to put back box on top of the pin tho.

#41 8 years ago

Bumpers done, interior almost done, roll in bedliner done, new gauges installed......

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Yeah there is a lot of crappy plastic in these old things lol! I will say though that a lot of it tends to be better than most cars of that era. Plus the interior is just so well layed out and comfortable. Everything comes apart so easy if you need to and everything is so inexpensive to replace. Man I just love these things!! I can see why they have never been as popular with the general jeep crowd though. I just feel like you get so much bang for your buck with a ZJ, way more so than any other jeep. XJ's are sweet too and have that spartan interior you like, but they feel way tinier inside, they tend to be more expensive (actually really shooting up in price latley) ride rougher ect. What other vehicle are you going to get coil springs on all 4 corners, choice of either the bulletproof 4.0 or great V8 power, 242 transfer case stock (non v8's) and plenty of creature comforts for an ungodly cheap price. I don't know I just love em and you don't have to feel bad taking it out in the woods and rubbing up against a couple trees!

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Bumpers done, interior almost done, roll in bedliner done, new gauges installed......

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

I love that...so much personality.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah there is a lot of crappy plastic in these old things lol! I will say though that a lot of it tends to be better than most cars of that era. Plus the interior is just so well layed out and comfortable. Everything comes apart so easy if you need to and everything is so inexpensive to replace. Man I just love these things!! I can see why they have never been as popular with the general jeep crowd though. I just feel like you get so much bang for your buck with a ZJ, way more so than any other jeep. XJ's are sweet too and have that spartan interior you like, but they feel way tinier inside, they tend to be more expensive (actually really shooting up in price latley) ride rougher ect. What other vehicle are you going to get coil springs on all 4 corners, choice of either the bulletproof 4.0 or great V8 power, 242 transfer case stock (non v8's) and plenty of creature comforts for an ungodly cheap price. I don't know I just love em and you don't have to feel bad taking it out in the woods and rubbing up against a couple trees!

Sounds good. I looked at pretty nice Cherokee not too long ago but decided against it. I'm very surprised how high the Wrangler/CJ prices are.

Quoted from chrisjens2:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Should there be primer under that bedliner? Some kind of rust inhibitor or something?

#45 8 years ago

A lot of that "rusty" color was the original primer. As long as the oxygen can't get to the bare metal I think I'm good. I covered it with 3 coats

#46 8 years ago

This is what the updated gauges look like just after fitment into the stock bezel.
Still need to refurbish the metal dash

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

This is what the updated gauges look like just after fitment into the stock bezel.
Still need to refurbish the metal dash

image_(resized).jpeg

I like analog gauges mostly but those are cool. Are you going to redo the interior?

#48 8 years ago

Yeah, plan to work on it this weekend. I'll update the progress

#49 8 years ago

This is my hybrid 1963 J-200/ 1977 J-20 with a 401 AMC V-8 from a few years back. I was big into Jeeps and I put it together myself.

SCAN0003_(resized).JPGSCAN0003_(resized).JPG

#50 8 years ago

Nice O-din, I like the stance of your Jeep. Do you have any rubbing issues when off-roading?

There are 853 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.