Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Satan_claus (resized).jpg
    0BB5DDCC-53A2-4C6E-91D6-C3730FCD3418.gif
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    BlankCoinDoor.jpg
    IM_Classic.jpg
    percentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Norwegian_Viking_Troll.jpg
    535-6862-05_set.jpg
    stupid.jpg
    dowel.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from theke:

I have purchased new machines in the past and have seen the quality go down exponentially

What have you seen on your games?

-

Thinner plywood?

Chalky paint?

Unplated metals?

Thinner glass?

Unheard of designers?

Mono sound?

A return to incandescent lighting?

A smaller color pallet on playfields?

Mylar instead of clearcoat?

Missing coin mechs?

Staples instead of woodscrews?

Wall paneling for cabinet bottoms?

Unfused bridged rectifiers?

No longer UL listed?

Hack artists rather than the masters?

Audio clips rather than full songs?

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from mufcmufc:

Wait until you see the new leg bolts on GoT, they're half the depth of normal bolts

Do they make it all the way through the leg plate threads?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

My Tron Pro feels light weight

Quoted from bayoubilly70:

That said, maybe these are differences between Pro models and LE models. Perhaps some Pro owners can verify...

Tron Pro and LE both weigh 250 pounds.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A lot easier to steal.

Put nuts on the back of the leg bolts and watch the fun.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's hidden cost cutting at its finest Hell, it's 2015 and Stern won't even include a ColorDMD in their games! Lazy. Shame!

Exactly.

Saving money by not installing a feature they don't feel is necessary.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Its not the cost cutting that is the problem.

Its the Pro, premium, LE model.

We are not here to discuss differences in models.

We are here to determine if Stern's quality has gone down the drain, exponentially.

"Exponentially = characterized by or being an extremely rapid increase, increasingly rapid"

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You're really into looking up definitions today aren't you?

I love words.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

cheaper plywood that appears to be less dense

If the cab still weighs the same as before, how is the wood less dense?

How can we determine that the wood cost less than the crappy wood that was used throughout the 70-90s?

Quoted from Whysnow:

metal backbox in place of wood

Would you not rather have a Metal Backbox than a wood one?

All the old wood backboxes are always missing chunks and generally look like ass.

Quoted from Whysnow:

softer metals that fail quicker and need repair.

Where are you seeing this?

I have a Rockwell hardness tester at work. I can verify your findings scientifically.

Quoted from Whysnow:

in the case of some games, yes

What game did they stop shipping coin mechs on, GOT?

KISS came with coin mechs.

Quoted from Whysnow:

bent legs new from factory (thinner metal?)

KISS has the same thickness legs as WTP, so it appears to be the same.

Quoted from Whysnow:

decals pealing

Decals have been peeling at least since the 1980s Bally's. Nothing new there.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Pretty sure there was a time when Steve Ritchie was an unknown. Why is this a bad thing?

If Stern fired SR and hired an unknown designer, everybody would be crying like bitches that they had "cheapened the design" by not paying SR his $260,000 a year salary.

You know that.

Quoted from Frax:

Where do you think the hobby will be in 20 years when Ritchie, Borg, and Trudeau aren't cranking out designs left and right without new blood?

Honestly, I don't see there being all that big of a hobby in 20 years.

Today's youth is not taking their lunch money every day and wasting it playing pinball.

They aren't standing in line at the gas station to play the latest TWD game.

I'd guess that in 20 years people will be searching for old smartphones so they can play Mindcraft "how it was meant to be played", reliving their lost youth.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Specifically ACDC and onward flipper mechs which shed metal savings and fail in short order. Typical fix is drilling, retapping and better screws/bolts. In general mech bodies are softer IME and strip out VERY easily. Different metal composition or thickness? not sure which?

Flipper mechs have bee stripping out since the 70s.

But I do have an AC/DC, so I can take a flipper mech to work and compare it to a mech from WPT and see if there has been a change in metal hardness. The thickness is the same.

Quoted from Whysnow:

our kiss legs were actually back to the thicker style. TWD and WWE were thinner. WWE specifically was thinner as I measured with caliper after looking at them.

Excellent!

I'm glad to hear quality improved on a Stern product.

Quoted from Whysnow:

no decals falling off on any other game I own or have seen.

Every time I see an unrestored Shadow, my toes curl.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think he's referring to the coil stops (for half of that anyway)
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coil-stops-raining-gold-metal-dust

That was a bad batch from a while ago.

I'm not seeing that on KISS.

Even if I did, it's a $2 replacement part (and you can even use the $1 B/W stops if you want to).

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You can't ask for examples of shitty quality, then just make excuses for them Vid. A bad batch of coil stops, like in my machine, is a quality issue. I'm not crying over the coil stops or anything, but you asked for examples, so accept them.

LOL, Having a bad batch of something is completely different than "quality going down the drain, exponentially".

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

If I absolutely had to, I would go with the $1 Williams style stops, as I've never had an issue with these (although they are aftermarket).

I've had bad batches of Williams stops.

I've had whole batches of Bally aftermarket stops that magnetized within weeks of installation.

Quoted from Crash:

The thing is, we really don't know if it was just a bad batch or not. With other past metal related issues (low quality balls, hardware brackets) I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

Of course it will happen again.

It's been happening for the last 50 years of pinball, and it will happen in the next 50.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Every time I see an unrestored Shadow, my toes curl.
    ??????

The decals on most Shadows suck ass.

stupid.jpgstupid.jpg

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Anyone have a pic of these pegs on a Pro? When did that start?

Like 5 years ago, and Pinsiders have been acting like someone smothered their kitten ever since.

#72 8 years ago

If you guys would quit buying non-LCD games and stick with only buying WOZs, Stern would be forced to move down to making LCD pins.

It's your fault.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

A goody, a semantics argument; how fun.

How about a cargument instead?

Ford had a bad batch of tires from Firestone.

The resulting tire recall did not stop the F150 from being rated the highest quality vehicle that year.

"Ahh, I see........."

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Can you please explain to me how this was a good move with well thought out intentions for anyone except Stern, especially as the price continues to go up every year? Sure makes it hard to pull the PF completely out and flat when servicing something on the PF....

How do you pull a PF completely out and flat on a game like F14?

It was the 5th best selling Williams game of all time, yet no one ever cried that the playfield did not pull out (it does not pull out at all, it only pivots in place).

It does not hamper the servicing of the game .

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I politely disagree. When I had to service my ACDC LED Pro, I needed to get the whole playfield out to work near the bell and guess what, the pegs hung in midair, and the only thing it could rest on was solenoid brackets. Guess what I ordered to fix that problem - service rails.

We disagree.

I replaced my AC/DC bell with an aftermarket unit and I did not have to pull the the whole playfield out to do the work.

I have 48 games in my collection and maybe 9 of them have playfield slide brackets.

Different people have different mechanical abilities and industry oldtimers like myself are used to working on games that never had any mechs to slide the playfield forward.

But as you discovered, if you need assistance, those playfield slide rails are cheap and readily available!

Buy them if you need them:

535-6862-05_set.jpg535-6862-05_set.jpg

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Sterns are rising higher than inflation while build quality and features remain, at best, the same.

And that is because you guys are totally fine with the price increases.

Everyone cries like a bitch about the artwork, cries about the rails that got eliminated 5 years ago, cries like a pussy about a scratch, but they keep buying more games than ever.

So obviously none of that stuff is a deal breaker.

LOL

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Well, I'm on board with saying the their qc has gone way down. My kiss looks great but the backboard isn't even screwed in on one side.

If the backboard is missing a screw, I'm out. That is absolute proof that Stern's quality has gone WAY down.

All my Gottlieb games were fully stapled and screwed

#150 8 years ago

Btw, what percentage of machines with issues out of the box would get you to a place where you at least say "yeah, they should probably up their game a bit."?

It's a moving target and anything that gets shipped by common carrier 1500 miles standing on it's head is bound to pick up a few more problems along it's journey.

-

In 2014 JDP said that there were 117 problems per 100 cars sold in the USA.

In 2013 there were 113 problems per 100 vehicles, so "New car problems are on the rise!" the headlines screamed.

But of course two data points is not a real trend, so we will have to wait until this year's numbers are in to see if there is even a micro-trend on new car problems.

#152 8 years ago

But paying $6500 for a pin that doesn't have a large part of its playfield attached and has a couple of glaring cosmetic issues is certainly disappointing.

Sure, and think if you paid $30,000 - it would be even more disappointing.

-

Harley Davidson used to have the worst reputation as far as quality. Everything used to constantly leak out of them, all over the garage.

But look, now BMW is the worst bike over a 3 year period!

So Harley owners can defend themselves and say "Hey, at least it's not a friggin' BMW....." as they trailer their bikes in for repair.

percentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.jpgpercentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.jpg

So, is having 30% problem rate with your product too high of a number?

Do new Stern pinball machines have an average problem rate of more than 30%? (non wear items, of course).

Will people keep buying BMW bikes, even though there are so many problems with them? Yes, of course they will.

#163 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I can't think of any other purchase I've made where the types of quality issues we routinely see on new pinball machines would be just shrugged away and accepted.

Buy a Russian sidecar motorcycle if you need more of this kind of "quality" in your life.

Quoted from Jvspin:

There are lots of new people getting into the hobby who don't expect they are going to have to learn how to apply decals, troubleshoot lightboard problems or learn how to solder to fix their "brand new" toy.

That's why every time I go to someone's house they always have a dead Adams Family or Playboy in their basement. People buy this stuff and have no idea what they are in store for maintenance wise, so that stuff just sits for a decade or more; keys lost long ago.

Same thing when people buy used CNC machines at auction or from a landlord and then put them in their garage at home. They call my boss and have a heart attack when they hear it's $500 an hour for service plus parts and travel time.

But just like Pinball, CNC mills are commercial equipment and come with commercial service requirements.

You need to have deep pockets, or be a jack of all skills........

#166 8 years ago

Customers who bought from a LOCAL distributor at least have someone to call for in home service.

A tech who can solder a new light board, replace a coil stop or apply a new decal.

It's the customers who bought from out of state and don't know anything about servicing pins that will soon have a new basement corpse.

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think people who are new to pinball and paying $5k to $8k for a brand new machine expect (nor should they) to repair the machines themselves within the warranty period. How would they know? Does the manufacturer warn them at time of purchase?

The Pin came with in home service - because it was marketed to housewives.

Coinop games are commercial equipment - no in home service included.

#195 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Do you know how that actually worked in practice? Did Stern actually fly technicians out or send them from their nearest distributor to do repairs? Or are there a bunch of The Pin carcasses in basements? Or did they not sell enough for it to be a concern?

The local distributors were sent to fix them.

I only got one call asking if I could service a Pin from a dist, but I was out of town and somebody else took care of it.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

There are only a few points that I dont think are acceptible that stern cut, thats the stupid lockbar clasps and all plastic ramps.

Plastic ramps have been around since the 80s (think Space Shuttle and Comet) and are sometimes chosen just for the speed of the play (TRON) or visibility (WhiteWater) .

Lockbar clasps are pretty normal if you come from the 1970-80s world of servicing video games.

#217 8 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

not when u crack open the NIB.

Oh, yes.

You should have been there helping us with the deployments.

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern isn't selling route games anymore...

Most games are indeed commercial coinop games, but every once in a while they make something like IM Classic for you.

IM_Classic.jpgIM_Classic.jpg

#221 8 years ago

Routes in my region are growing.

Many arcade pubs opening too with vidgames and pins.

By law, if they have coin doors, they are considered commercial coinop amusement devices (even if set to freeplay) and must have a license in many cities.

#222 8 years ago

I put a dozen of these blank doors on an arcade pub's pins in order to skirt the licensing law:

BlankCoinDoor.jpgBlankCoinDoor.jpg

They have not had a single game broken into since I installed them.

#236 8 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Yeah well my Distro sucked ass dude and didnt do SHIT! Hence why I no longer use him......

Don't be afraid to let us know who the sucky distributor was.

I'd hate to accidentally give a guy like that my money............

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

So, you're saying they are no longer "coin-op" games so it's okay to complain about NIB problems?

Once I get my hands on 'em there is nothing to complain about.

#266 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

While I'm on the subject, does everybody change out the Stern balls when they receive a new pin?

Always.

Stern's balls are only OK, the "super shiny" ones are excellent.

3 weeks later
    #282 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I don't think I've seen one with major PF wear like the paint being worn down to the wood.

Cue faked picture of Star Trek playfield in .......3.....2......1......

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-quality-going-down-the-drain?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.