Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil Spring Issue.png
040.jpg
041.jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I found a pile of gold metal flakes in the bottom of my ACDC Premium today. Took a while but finally determined that the brass piece in the flipper coil stop was loose and when it gets hit with the coil plunger it must be getting a slight shave job every time.

I also was working on Tron and sure enough I found another pile of gold dust. Exact same problem on another coil stop...loose brass piece.

Anyone else have this problem? If not I would take a look in your newer sterns and look for piles of gold dust in the cabinet.

Also do you think the best solution is to replace the coil stop? Seen another (sort of related) thread where they put electrical tape on the brass piece but not sure I like that solution.

041.jpg041.jpg

040.jpg040.jpg

#2 9 years ago

yup, my metallica pro had the same problem. coil stops are being made cheaper now? had to replace after only 8 months.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

yup, my Metallica pro had the same problem. coil stops are being made cheaper now? had to replace after only 8 months.

Did stern replace for you?

#4 9 years ago

no, i just ordered a new one. it was sooo wallered out and such, the flipper started to stick so i looked at the flipper mechs, sure enough that rivot was so loose i could probably pull it out with pliers.

#5 9 years ago

I'm calling kickers tomorrow but likely will to have to order 2 at least. will check my other sterns 1st.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

I'm calling kickers tomorrow but likely will to have to order 2 at least. will check my other sterns 1st.

good luck, i'm sure they will tell you it is typical from gameplay wear . i just ordered some from marco, i have been donating way too much money on parts with them lately.

#7 9 years ago

this one work? Looks like one piece and not 2 like the newer ones.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=274

#8 9 years ago

I find they have been failing prematurely and wearing much faster, noticing that metal dust accumulating very quick, so I have to assume they are being made cheaper. Not much you can do but change them and hope the one you get is made better than the ones Stern is using.

#9 9 years ago

I thought it was some sort of reward system...?

I opened my ACDC and found gold bars. Play better!

#10 9 years ago

I had this happen to both my stock Stern coil stops on my AVLE. A friend of mine had it on his STLE...

Must be a bad batch of coil stops.... The PBL replacements have been fine so far but to be fair, the new ones do not have nearly as many games on them yet.

#11 9 years ago

this one work? Looks like one piece and not 2 like the newer ones.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=274

That is the correct part. It will be 2 parts, riveted together like your stock parts. It just does not look that way from the picture.

You can also get them from Marco for a little more if you need other parts or supplies that they have.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6308-01

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That is the correct part. It will be 2 parts, riveted together like your stock parts. It just does not look that way from the picture.
You can also get them from Marco for a little more if you need other parts or supplies that they have.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6308-01

OK super thanks!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I thought it was some sort of reward system...?
I opened my ACDC and found gold bars. Play better!

It is. That's why there aren't any in your Acdc

#14 9 years ago

My STLE cabinet looks like a bronze snowstorm and the rivets are ready to fall out of the 3 flipper coil frames. My other Stern games are holding up fine so far.

$4.25 each at Pinballife for part #515-6308-00 for STLE. I hope they are better quality than the cheaper ones that Stern seems to have switched to.

Note: edited to show the correct part number

#15 9 years ago

I'm likely going through starburst (stern distributor) so will be the same crappy coil stops unfortunately.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

My STLE cabinet looks like a bronze snowstorm and the rivets are ready to fall out of the 3 flipper coil frames. My other Stern games are holding up fine so far.
$4.25 each at Pinballife for part #515-6526-00 for STLE. I hope they are better quality than the cheaper ones that Stern seems to have switched to.

I don't think you have that part number correct....

#17 9 years ago

Oops.....thats the other part I ordered. Sorry...thanks for the correction.

The number for the coil stop is 515-6308-01.

#18 9 years ago

hehehe, I figured it was a copy/paste error!

#19 9 years ago

I'm likely going through starburst (stern distributor) so will be the same crappy coil stops unfortunately.

They have them in stick for $5.95 Canadian. They are 2 hours away though but might have someone pick up.

#20 9 years ago

Same thing happened on my left flipper on Met Pro. Pile of gold dust on the bottom of the cabinet. Left flipper was sticking too. Took everything apart, cleaned and put it back together. Flipper still got stuck. Had some WMS stops and installed those. Worked fine. Put the Stern ones back in, flipper would stick. I put the WMS stops back in and ordered new Stern stops. Haven't changed them back yet, still running the WMS ones for now.

#21 9 years ago

I replaced with Pinballlife stops. The snowstorm is less but was not particularly impressed with the quality. They look about the same as the Stern ones. I'd gladly pay a few more bucks to get a better quality part that is so important to the game.

#22 9 years ago

Sounds like the WMS stops are better. I had no idea they were interchangeable. Does this confirm it? I would tend to think that any WMS parts are better than the new stuff if its interchangeable. Out of curiosity did you change the sleeves too?

#23 9 years ago

Seeing this on brand new Metallica. There is just a tiny bit, but also under 100 games on it.

#24 9 years ago

Sounds like the WMS stops are better. I had no idea they were interchangeable. Does this confirm it? I would tend to think that any WMS parts are better than the new stuff if its interchangeable. Out of curiosity did you change the sleeves too?

yes can you confirm for sure that wms coil stops work in place of stern? what is wms part number?

#25 9 years ago

Yes WMS coil stops work fine. You can use the 1988 to 1993 version that are probably more closely the same height stop as the Stern. These are just a hair shorter than the newer WMS stops used from 1993 to 1999. The shorter the stop the longer the flipper travel. Also, swap out both flipper stops or you'll have flippers that stop at different heights. Here are the part numbers.

1988-1993 A-12111
1993-1999 A-12390

#26 9 years ago

Have to check my metpro for this

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Have to check my metpro for this

Checked mine last night. Brass Snow everywhere, coil stops are a little loose...estimate around 900-1k total plays? Will be replacing the stops after TPF looks like.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yes WMS coil stops work fine. You can use the 1988 to 1993 version that are probably more closely the same height stop as the Stern. These are just a hair shorter than the newer WMS stops used from 1993 to 1999. The shorter the stop the longer the flipper travel. Also, swap out both flipper stops or you'll have flippers that stop at different heights. Here are the part numbers.
1988-1993 A-12111
1993-1999 A-12390

Ok great thanks. I already ordered stern but for next time I will give these a try.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Checked mine last night. Brass Snow everywhere, coil stops are a little loose...estimate around 900-1k total plays? Will be replacing the stops after TPF looks like.

If we gathered up all the brass snow from all faulty stern coils we could cash it in to buy more faulty stern machines

#30 9 years ago

Saw some of these stops out of a STLE last night. Total garbage parts IMHO.

#31 9 years ago

Badly designed part, EVEN IF these were just going into people's homes. Completely unacceptable for a commercial product I would imagine.

All reports above have been for flipper coil stops only? Are any of the other coil stops of this design (I don't have a super new stern to check against...). I am just wondering if it is only a matter of time before more stops go, or if the flipper ones just take that much more of a beating?

Has anybody sent these pictures to the Stern Parts department? Honestly, I think it is in their best interest to get this fixed. We all know and love the magic black pinball dust, but brass shavings eventaully getting everywhere I imagine is not that great for an electronic product...

#32 9 years ago

Had the same issue with my STLE. Replace the coil stops.

#33 9 years ago

I have installed a MET Pro in the lunch room where I work.
The left flipper started to stick after *one month*.

#34 9 years ago

No problems here on Stern coil stops other than the flipper stops. They must have received a bad batch of stops...

#35 9 years ago

Stern factory workers are too lazy to install the spring washers in the correct spot. Every coil stop of mine that has broken had the spring washer installed on the wrong side of the coil. See here for the actual Stern diagram for coil stops for flippers. I believe the spring washer is causing the coil stops to break sooner than they should, but just a theory.Coil Spring Issue.pngCoil Spring Issue.png

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

Stern factory workers are too lazy to install the spring washers in the correct spot. Every coil stop of mine that has broken had the spring washer installed on the wrong side of the coil. See here for the actual Stern diagram for coil stops for flippers. I believe the spring washer is causing the coil stops to break sooner than they should, but just a theory.

Coil Spring Issue.png 102 KB

hmmmm interesting theory. Ill check mine when i replace them.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

Stern factory workers are too lazy to install the spring washers in the correct spot. Every coil stop of mine that has broken had the spring washer installed on the wrong side of the coil. See here for the actual Stern diagram for coil stops for flippers. I believe the spring washer is causing the coil stops to break sooner than they should, but just a theory.

Interesting find. Every machine I have seen with a spring washer had it on the coil stop end of the coil. I never looked that closely at the manual to see it is supposed to be on the other end...

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Interesting find. Every machine I have seen with a spring washer had it on the coil stop end of the coil. I never looked that closely at the manual to see it is supposed to be on the other end...

Same here..all my spring washers are on the coil stops.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

There must be a reason for this. The lug end is turned away from the stops to prevent vibration to them and the wires breaking free. I question if the spring washer is placed at the stop side to further add a bit more vibration padding rather than the coil resting agaist the stop.

#40 9 years ago

All of the spring washers I remember disassembling off flipper assemblies have been at the "coil support bracket" end.

Honestly I was not sure what they were there for, I assumed just to keep the coil a bit more snug between the support bracket and the stop, but I don't remember generally seeing a lot of play here anyways.

This at least serves as a reminder of even the most innocuous looking parts probably have some vital function, best to leave well enough alone if you are thinking of streamlining your assembly somehow

#41 9 years ago

If the coil spring washer is against the coil stop there is a good chance the the coil stop would be at an angle to the coil, if ever so slightly. It could also allow for motion between the stop and coil as the spring is doing its job as acting like a shock as well as creating a gap between coil and stop. This could cause heat, binding etc so it makes sense that the washer be at the coil mounting bracket side to take up any slack in the coil mounting. Better solution is to have the coil mounting brackets holes adjustable.

#42 9 years ago

If they'd get rid of duty-cycling altogether, they wouldn't even need that spring washer. I heard WWE has 3-lug coils (good!), but also heard the flippers are poopy due to crappy power supply (bad!). Has anyone seen the metal dust on WWE yet?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

1988-1993 A-12111
1993-1999 A-12390

I've never had this issue with original Williams, Data East, Sega, or replacement Pinball Life/Marco parts, especially on such a new game. Leave it to Stern.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If they'd get rid of duty-cycling altogether, they wouldn't even need that spring washer. I heard WWE has 3-lug coils (good!), but also heard the flippers are poopy due to crappy power supply (bad!). Has anyone seen the metal dust on WWE yet?

none so far on WWE.

I think flippers could use 10% more power but I don't think it is a power supply issue, just a geometry of long outside shots and steep ramps back up to upper pf. When adjusted properly all shots are fine, but flippers are set a little 'flat' and slope slightly down from inlane ball guide for my liking.

Hoping there will be a power adjustment in future code settings??? It woudl be nice to fine tune it slightly.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

If the coil spring washer is against the coil stop there is a good chance the the coil stop would be at an angle to the coil, if ever so slightly. It could also allow for motion between the stop and coil as the spring is doing its job as acting like a shock as well as creating a gap between coil and stop. This could cause heat, binding etc so it makes sense that the washer be at the coil mounting bracket side to take up any slack in the coil mounting. Better solution is to have the coil mounting brackets holes adjustable.

You might be onto something here. I noticed that the wear on the end of my coil stops was definately not from a "dead on square" hit from the shaft. The wear was off center toward the edge, and pretty much in one spot. My sleeves looked fine but I replaced those too anyway.

Can we get anyone from Stern to chime in on this?

#46 9 years ago

You might be onto something here. I noticed that the wear on the end of my coil stops was definately not from a "dead on square" hit from the shaft. The wear was off center toward the edge, and pretty much in one spot.

They won't be chiming in here....

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

If the coil spring washer is against the coil stop there is a good chance the the coil stop would be at an angle to the coil, if ever so slightly.

Edit: I see what you are saying now.

#48 9 years ago

You might be onto something here. I noticed that the wear on the end of my coil stops was definately not from a "dead on square" hit from the shaft. The wear was off center toward the edge, and pretty much in one spot. My sleeves looked fine but I replaced those too anyway.

I have seen this too. Hmm, maybe the issue is that the stops are put on last, and the distance between the front bracket and the coil stop is a bit wider than what is afforded, and this causes the stop to be installed on a partial angle.

I always install stops first, and thus if this was the issue, the bracket would be the piece having to compensate, which likely wouldn't result in any issue.

#49 9 years ago

The reason I say they are lazy is because getting the coil sleeve end through the coil support bracket with the spring washer at the same time can take a little time because the spring washer keeps sliding around while trying to get the end of the coil sleeve through the hole in the coil support bracket. So I'm figuring they just got lazy and figured why not put it on the other end. Well, the design doesn't state this and probably for a good reason. I think that the spring washer is causing too much action on the coil stop brackets and result in the brass piece getting bashed and thus separating from the coil stop bracket. This is what then results in sticky flippers because the coil itself gets slightly misaligned. Only reason I came up with this theory is because every sticky flipper had a broken coil stop bracket with the spring washer on that side.

And I did send to Stern but they never responded (including the diagram I posted above). Probably a 'this is taking too much extra time in production' so they 'altered' the design on the production floor and is now causing issues.

#50 9 years ago

I think the problem is much simpler, cheap metal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coil-stops-raining-gold-metal-dust and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.