Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Satan_claus (resized).jpg
    0BB5DDCC-53A2-4C6E-91D6-C3730FCD3418.gif
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    BlankCoinDoor.jpg
    IM_Classic.jpg
    percentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Norwegian_Viking_Troll.jpg
    535-6862-05_set.jpg
    stupid.jpg
    dowel.jpeg
    There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

So, you're saying they are no longer "coin-op" games so it's okay to complain about NIB problems?

Maybe that was PPP's strategy with the missing coin mechs all along!

#252 8 years ago

I would like to add that some of you seem to have purchased Stern sarcasm detectors please have them shopped at the the Pinfactory2000.

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

When I buy a game nib or used, it goes into my workshop not my house.

Yeah - I do the same thing.

#254 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I would like to add that some of you seem to have purchased Stern sarcasm detectors please have them shopped at the the Pinfactory2000.

Hey! Our detectors are for commercial use only. They are $8k retail and may or not work out of the box. (But the store you buy them at sells soldering guns so...figure it out, that's part of the fun!)

#255 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Maybe that was PPP's strategy with the missing coin mechs all along!

I think that would be a poor strategy because it appears as long as you can claim your product is "commercial coin-op" you can probably save money by eliminating the QC and test departments.

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

So, you're saying they are no longer "coin-op" games so it's okay to complain about NIB problems?

Once I get my hands on 'em there is nothing to complain about.

#257 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

These aren't consumer products. These are vending machines (think washing machines). Made for commercial use only.

Yep. This.

Quoted from Darscot:Is this the mentality with all products you purchase, or do you just accept the quality is so dreadful at Stern? You do realize it's guys like you that are doing the most damage. Your average consumer needs a private shop and be willing to put a few hours labour in if he plunks down several grand on a NIB. That sound like a solid business model.
    It's my mentality with all products I purchase that are user serviceable.

#258 8 years ago

In Australia, the distributor removes all new pins from boxes and checks them over, updates the code, plays them,adjustments if needed and re boxes them, then sends them to their customers.
    My distributor pulls out NIB pins and check for damage and do electrical cert and general check.

#259 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

In Australia, the distributor removes all new pins from boxes and checks them over, updates the code, plays them,adjustments if needed and re boxes them, then sends them to their customers.
    My distributor pulls out NIB pins and check for damage and do electrical cert and general check.

Wow! Now that's service.

#260 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Yep, ours in Perth does it too. Unless you are too anal and want it untouched by humans.

#261 8 years ago

The distributors in Australia were getting so many pins with quality issues from Stern they had no choice.

#262 8 years ago

While I'm on the subject, does everybody change out the Stern balls when they receive a new pin?

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

While I'm on the subject, does everybody change out the Stern balls when they receive a new pin?

I pull them out of the bag and clean them with window cleaner before installing them. That makes them shiny like most aftermarket balls.

#264 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

I examine them closely because they are almost always more pitted than new balls... if any doubt they get replaced.

#265 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Once I get my hands on 'em there is nothing to complain about.

thats what she said

#266 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Always.

Stern's balls are only OK, the "super shiny" ones are excellent.

#267 8 years ago

What about switching out the stock rubbers that Stern ships in their games? Anyone do that?

#268 8 years ago

My new machines get new ooohhh_shiiiiny balls.

I replace my balls after a few hundred plays.

I have people on craigslist buy my used balls for $1 each.

My playfields look perfect.

#269 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about switching out the stock rubbers that Stern ships in their games? Anyone do that?

I switch all my games to clear now....

2 weeks later
    #270 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Ah ok. I thought your point was that the number of issues to the number of pins being produced wasn't that high...
    Anyway. Thank you for bearing with the lesser brained pinsiders like me!
    Point----->
    My Head----->
    Regardless, piling on if you don't have legitimate issues is not ok. I agree.
    Additionally, I'm optimistic stern will work through my (and other pinheads) issues when they buy NIB. below are pics of missing bolts (all 4 that attach the playfield back were missing) and playfield buffing issue (one of 3-4 areas where clearcoat was buffed through. (Let the 'get over it and play pinball comments commence!!)
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Curious to know if the issue with your playfield clearcoat was resolved or did you fix it your self? Opened my machine yesterday and noticed several areas on my playfiled also where the clear coat was "dull". tried to polish it up with novus 1 and 2, and a few different waxes, which did absolutely nothing?!?! Has anyone else had or have these dull areas on their new Sterns? How can these areas be fixed to resemble the rest of the playfield clearcoat?

#271 8 years ago
    Quoted from Off2War:

Curious to know if the issue with your playfield clearcoat was resolved or did you fix it your self? Opened my machine yesterday and noticed several areas on my playfiled also where the clear coat was "dull". tried to polish it up with novus 1 and 2, and a few different waxes, which did absolutely nothing?!?! Has anyone else had or have these dull areas on their new Sterns? How can these areas be fixed to resemble the rest of the playfield clearcoat?

Throw the novus in the garbage for starters and use a basic cleaner like simple green and some regular old wax not a plastics cleaners

#272 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Throw the novus in the garbage for starters and use a basic cleaner like simple green and some regular old wax not a plastics cleaners

What type of wax do you recommend? I have used pure carnauba wax with no improvement whatsoever....

#273 8 years ago
    Quoted from Off2War:

What type of wax do you recommend? I have used pure carnauba wax with no improvement whatsoever....

If the clear was extra thin, using novus 2 (a harsh running compound) may have actually done it in for good. Otherwise I would treat it like a car. Wax it with a good carnuba.

#274 8 years ago

I've had minor issues with my Stern's but like most have said, nothing ever breaks and the issues I have........Patrick or Chaz always take care of me.

#275 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If the clear was extra thin, using novus 2 (a harsh running compound) may have actually done it in for good. Otherwise I would treat it like a car. Wax it with a good carnuba.

What he said, you may need to be rubbing and polishing with a wax only for a while. Novus 2 may have harmed it further

#276 8 years ago
    Quoted from Off2War:

no. there is nothing thats going to take a dull area of the clearcoat and fix it...At least, not one I'm aware of. I used some cleaner (treasure cove) and then Carauba wax (mothers I believe, I'd have to check) to shine it up the best I could (really didn't change anything frankly).

Just had to swallow the fact that my playfield with cosmetic imperfections (and pieces hanging off it)

And remember...Its mostly your fault.

*shrug*

#277 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinball machines are designed to make money. Is anybody finding quality issues that are preventing them from doing that?

Yes, they don't last, they fall apart much faster and the PFs wear faster.

#278 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yes, they don't last, they fall apart much faster and the PFs wear faster.

How's that?

#279 8 years ago

Watch how fast they turn to crap in the wild.

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Watch how fast they turn to crap in the wild.

Not sure what you're talking about here. The GoT I just got has the thickest clear coat I've ever seen in a new game. I've also gotten several games from route ops through here and some of the new sterns clean up like they're brand new.

#281 8 years ago

I'm not seeing any issues out of the ordinary on Sterns in the wild. Everything I see I also see on the William's/Bally games. My "route" experience is limited though with games at pinballz for the most part. Most common thing I see is a chipped or cracked ramp and flaky switches. I don't think I've seen one with major PF wear like the paint being worn down to the wood. Just some wear in holes for VUK's.

#282 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I don't think I've seen one with major PF wear like the paint being worn down to the wood.

Cue faked picture of Star Trek playfield in .......3.....2......1......

3 years later
    #283 5 years ago

BUMP! Anything from BM 66 and on is lackluster...Happy Holidays

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

What a stupid comment. Merry New Year

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What a stupid comment. Merry New Year

Lmao...

Get drunk and laid MotherF***ers! WHEW!

0BB5DDCC-53A2-4C6E-91D6-C3730FCD3418.gif0BB5DDCC-53A2-4C6E-91D6-C3730FCD3418.gif
    #286 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Get drunk and laid MotherF***ers! WHEW!

That wouldn't change my post, actually it would be much worse. But it still a good idea and if you knew what I was going do tonite last thing u would think is this guy needs to relax, relaxation is for the very old and dead. Merry Xmas Underlord, typing that makes me happy.

Satan_claus (resized).jpgSatan_claus (resized).jpg
    #287 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That wouldn't change my post, actually it would be much worse. But it still a good idea and if you knew what I was going do tonite last thing u would think is this guy needs to relax, relaxation is for the very old and dead. Merry Xmas Underlord, typing that makes me happy. [quoted image]

Back atcha Bubba.

#288 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Lmao...
    Get drunk and laid MotherF***ers! WHEW! [quoted image]

Not LAMO bumping this 3 yr old thread is acting a fool or tool take your pick

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That wouldn't change my post, actually it would be much worse. But it still a good idea and if you knew what I was going do tonite last thing u would think is this guy needs to relax, relaxation is for the very old and dead. Merry Xmas Underlord, typing that makes me happy. [quoted image]

My 8 year old daughter just printed out your picture of Santa and hung it in her room.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Yeah. Iron Maiden. What a dud.
    (sarcasm)

Guess who's been into the nog this season???

#291 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Not LAMO bumping this 3 yr old thread is acting a fool or tool take your pick

Ok Krampus. Have another drink. Or stop drinking and posting. Have YOUR pick.

And I didn’t bump the thread.

#292 5 years ago

Pretty funny reading this old thread. Gotta hand it to Stern they have put serious effort into quality and consistency over the last 3 years. They are in a way better place as far as consumer confidence, now if they could just give me a theme.

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Pretty funny reading this old thread. Gotta hand it to Stern they have put serious effort into quality and consistency over the last 3 years. They are in a way better place as far as consumer confidence, now if they could just give me a theme.

I’m not convinced. When I hear that a cpu board goes bad and a customer has to spend $600 for a new one rather than be able to fix it, that’s a downgrade in quality.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Ok Krampus. Have another drink. Or stop drinking and posting. Have YOUR pick.
    And I didn’t bump the thread.

I know you did not bump the thread you did give Hazoff a hard time for scolding the fool that did bump this fool thread after 3 yr

#295 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I’m not convinced. When I hear that a cpu board goes bad and a customer has to spend $600 for a new one rather than be able to fix it, that’s a downgrade in quality.

Sounds like a win from Stern's view point.

#296 5 years ago

OK,my GB/Pre lasted a week and node board #8 blew! My B66 LE turntable was completely broken in box,no QC there!!Also,because of Sterns drop targets,the left "D" on my DP/LE was not resetting.and had to be fixed! So I think there is validity to what is being said here!! Happy New year all!!!

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Not saying they are perfect by any means but three years ago it was daily open hostility. Ghosting inserts, chipping clear coat, cabinet decals, splitting corners and the node board issues that you are mentioning. I agree the board design is not ideal for the industry but its comparable to modern electronics. Board repair is pretty rare these days, it’s all just discard and replace. Board failure doesn’t seem to be as widespread as the list of other issues they had. I think it’s fair to say they have been making efforts to improve. Man Ghostbusters alone had like every quality issue, plus bending guides and faulty slimers, it was hard to keep track of all the problems it had.

#298 5 years ago

The SW pro I play most regularly appears two have two large insert focused node boards out in the middle of the play field.

Not sure if they are fixable but definitely a downgrade vs losing a lamp or two when they burn out.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,my GB/Pre lasted a week and node board #8 blew! My B66 LE turntable was completely broken in box,no QC there!!Also,because of Sterns drop targets,the left "D" on my DP/LE was not resetting.and had to be fixed! So I think there is validity to what is being said here!! Happy New year all!!!

Yet you buy a Deadpool LE why should they change

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I know you did not bump the thread you did give Hazoff a hard time for scolding the fool that did bump this fool thread after 3 yr

Would you rather he started a brand new thread when there was already one?

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-quality-going-down-the-drain/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.