finish1 (resized).jpg
shot1 (resized).jpg
popspoons (resized).jpg
shot2 (resized).jpg
pc (resized).jpg
rot (resized).jpg
birthday (resized).jpg
IMG_8697 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider outsidedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

Hi All!
Yes, we will be tweaking this product to ultimately be "the answer" for many titles that you may NEVER see repro playfields for, as well as being a more affordable approach for folks on a budget... or someone who just wants to tackle a smaller project (than a whole new playfield) for a few titles that have been reproduced in the past.

We have worked very hard to find a hard coating on the surface that would rival (or surpass) the durability of the traditionally clear coated play fields.

Pricing is being determined. Titles will vary in cost based on art and overall manufacturing complexity... but think roughly 1/2 (or less in some instances) of the cost of a playfield reproduction.

We are actually not calling this product an "overlay", as too many will assimilate this to what has been traditionally available. Our working name (although not official) is "The Hardtop". This product is NOT (as you see shown above) a thin, surface printed decal.

Overall, we are super excited about it's potential. The hard coating is not an off the shelf hard coated material. We are having these coated via custom order using a much thicker layer of coating than is offered as a "shelf" item. The caveat is that we have a 3-5 week lead time on materials, so we will need to gauge stock on market interest and try to stay ahead of the demand.

Many of you have met us at the shows as we pedal our cool lampshades, clocks, coaster sets, wall decals and more... but make no mistake about it. We are pinheads with the same issues you have... limited parts availability!

It should be noted that we are not new to making parts for the pinball industry. We have been in the background for 10 years+ printing repro back glasses, plastic sets and cabinet art on behalf of a lot of folks you all order from. We have been strictly B to B with our business approach, and for many parts that will remain. However, for The Hardtops... we will likely be customer facing (direct to the collector)by selling through our Outside Edge brand, as well as having the product available through retailers.

We plan to start an additional thread in the coming weeks communicating the "ins and outs" of The Hardtop solution. It won't be for everybody... or every machine. It is a permanent solution for a "beyond saving" playfield from wear and cupped inserts. More details to come! This product should never be considered for protection of the original surface, as the adhesive WILL DAMAGE the original art if removal would ever be attempted.

Adam was chosen for this testing process due to his locality to Columbus, and the fact that he needed playfield help with the same title we tested for ourselves. He has done a fantastic job of logging details and keeping notes. Thanks Adam!

Moving forward, more titles have been approved by PPS. We will need a stripped playield to use (in our possession). The collector will get that playfield back, with The Hardtop F.O.C. for testing and loaning us the field. We will announce those titles ONLY after we see Space Shuttle start to ship. Should this be successful, we hope to produce 8-10 NEW TITLES per year.

Thanks for reading!

#11 7 years ago

Here are a few photos of our two machines we started working on this product with.
How would I have described the original play fields?? Planked, worn, dirty, cupped inserts... hand painted repairs (yikes)

IMG_8025 (resized).JPGIMG_8025 (resized).JPG

IMG_8033 (resized).JPGIMG_8033 (resized).JPG

IMG_8044 (resized).JPGIMG_8044 (resized).JPG

IMG_8266 (resized).JPGIMG_8266 (resized).JPG

IMG_8697 (resized).JPGIMG_8697 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

Comment23 is correct. It should be a judgement call at the restorer's discretion. We did not fill any cupped inserts on our project. We see no signs of the Hardtop cupping at this point. One has been installed for approx. 6 months so far. The substrate is quite rigid... the possibiliy of it cupping as it "bridges" slightly cupped inserts seems quite low to me. However, the one sure fire way to ensure it never does is to do just what you have suggested. Fill them first.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip on artists nikpinball! We are all set at this point though. We have a department that basically is dedicated to work like this... who knows though, we may need to send overflow out at some point! As you know, this is labor intensive work to match existing art ... with custom holes and shapes to boot.

#22 7 years ago

The photos are of (actually quite scratched) top glass installed.I would not spend a ton of time dissecting/zooming those images, as we have even leveled up since then in several areas. This was my own personal (internal) testing. However, it sort of shows what can be done and how it looks... so I posted.

Secondly, any (like Novus products with an appropriate cloth) polish can be used. Please note though... just like clear coats, this product is not scratch PROOF... it is scratch resistant.

We are currently working on administering an ATSM scratch resistance test comparing directly to a clear coated playfield. Only then will I have scientific data to show folks EXACTLY how this substrate compares to currently accepted top coating materials for playfields. It will be weeks from now, but we are working on that. No data currently exists due to the fact that scratch testing in the automotive/commercial clear coating world is dissimilar to the same type of testing done in the plastics world. So... as like almost everything... it is harder than expected to draw a correlation between my substrate and a clear coated playfield in true "scratch resistance". I am feeling very good about the custom hard coating we have found though. I will anxiously await the test results.

Thanks for the questions!

#27 7 years ago

Thanks all!

Megadeath2600 has really nailed what our ambitions are. We hope this will be the product that levels up considerably from a surface printed (even if it is laminated or cleared) decal.... and far less$$$ than a full playfield swap "IF" they can be found or will ever made. We may do "a few" select newer titles in rare cases someday, but mainly we want to begin our trek toward having titles available to revive otherwise crappy, worn out playfields. The titles Megadeath2600 mentioned above are in the wheel house.

We are just being cautious with this product in several ways. One is that we don't want to over state what this is.... this is NOT a new playfield. This product is NOT temporary. This is NOT something you would want to use on a field that can be restored/saved and cleared at a later date. This product is NOT scratch PROOF. While this product can solve minor dips and valleys, or cupping inserts.... it cannot level out everything. Prep will be quite important.

This product IS intended to be a robust solution for a game that may get parted out because the playfield is toasted and no others can be found. This product is permanent. ( We realize we will need to clarify that soon). This product is virtually IMPERVIOUS to damage of the new art once properly installed by playing. The material is NOT an off the shelf substrate. The ball play is MUCH improved over a worn field and plays quite fast due to the hardness of the top surface. This is also a high gloss product with (at least currently) no options for finish ... like matte or satin..... gloss ONLY.

Like all are aware, yet still arrises as an issue.... all we can promise is that our Hardtops (once on the market) will fit and match our specimens that were used while creating the Hardtops. I will go on record by saying I have seen, and know for a fact that original games had variations in them at times there were subtle, while other instances quite different. We will work through those a best we can. I have seen good suppliers (like CPR and others) get reamed on websites for "poor quality" in the way of fit and finish when this issue started at the factory years ago due to inconsistent parts, ink, and craftsmanship. Repro folks CANNOT account for wide spread original product variation. We won't even get into the color fade issues

We are super excited about this product. We hope many, many machines will have glossy, smooth fields with kick butt LEDS gleaming though them soon

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This looks like it has a lot of potential compared to the usual (ie terrible) overlay.
Does it have to be .3" thick?

In deed it does.... the special coating we are having applied is in part why... the coating company cannot go any thinner with this hardness. Secondly, part of the functionality of the product is due to it's rigidity. It eliminates small crevases by "bridging" the blemish, or cupped insert. Thinner materials would comply to them instead of bridging.

You have though brought up a detail that Comment23 (my selected prototype tester who started this thread) will encounter when he reassembles. That is... all rollovers and leaf switches will need adjusted to account for the NEW .030" TALLER surface. It's really easy enough. Takes a few minutes.

Thanks for the question!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

.030" ??
OK, the OP said that it was .3"
Big difference!

Ohh! Ha! ... I even missed the missing "0" on the original thickness comment. It is in fact, .030" in thickness.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

This is so cool. Surprised Rick hasn't jumped in here already though trying to shut things down due to rights. Really hope to see this thing take off! GL

That is because we took the correct approach and worked out the permission wit the rightful owner/licensing contacts of the I.P.... FIRST.

PPS is in favor of this product 100%. If it all works out we will get to work making these for many titles that could not ever (or at least not anytime soon) see playfield repros.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Moving the PF upstairs to the garage this morning to get some sanding work done this weekend. I can't seem to source the hotdog inserts so it looks like I'm going to try to repair the one I have as good as possible.
So for those who are going to be interested on an insert that isn't 100% perfect, you're going to be in for treat...

yea, I am not sure those hot dogs are around. You may email PPS (or CPR since they once ran this title)... but mine kind of stink too. It's an imperfection that I decided to live with.

BTW... I think there were two styles used! Also, Space Shuttle shipped in 2 DIFFERENT cabinets... Man, does that make me feel like a geek knowing that. )

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

This is pretty awesome. I didn't catch- is there anticipated pricing? Guessing this will be much less than a full wood repro-- but obviously more than a simple overlay.
Good luck with this!

Pricing will vary depending on the titles, but think roughly half (sometimes less) of a new playfield. It all depends on manufacturing complexity and licensing variables between each game. The price for a given title will be announced as that title is released.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Future Spa, Comet, Time Warp....lots of games they made kazillions of and are always trashed.

ALL titles mentioned are approved and on the list! I will require a stripped, original playfield in our possession in order to design and fit. This could take several months (tops) to accomplish. Whoever supplies the stripped playfield (with visible art.. not roached down to bare wood) will receive 1 new hardtop back with the playfield (uninstalled) when we ship back. Only one (unless a unique issue arrises) will be needed per title. Among other details, we will require a photo of the proposed field ahead of time to approve it's condition.

If anyone reading is interested, please PM us for details.

BTW, we will begin a new thread soon with all titles on the list soon. There are over 30 titles at this time. We need to finish up some testing first though. It is important to us that we do not over promise what we can achieve.

Thank you!

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Wish had a space shuttle to test one for you one would put on overlay then set machine up at local pinball joint and let them play it to death for a few months be on 6 to 8 hours and get played a good part of the time. If it survived that see if one could be in a pin league play. Now as for as the overlays do you have to change all lighting to led or can you stick with good old 47's and 44?

Lighting is purely up to you. Stock lighting should look the same as it did originally.

Thanks for the question

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

How is the art printed on these? Inkjet or some other CMYK process? Or silkscreen/spot color?

The answer to that question will vary title to title, as we can accomplish either method of printing in house. Space Shuttle(mainly due to the color palette being achievable through a 6 color press) has been printed digitally, including the white. That will not always be the case... think spot colors like seen on Dr. Dude and such... NOT achievable digitally. Screen.... those would be.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Would love to try one of these out on my Space Shuttle? When will they be available?
Thanks

Soon! Testing will be complete very soon (possibly next week). Then it will be another month or so to produce... then BAM!... ready to ship I will post information soon, and ultimately PPS and pinballgifts.com will have them listed for online ordering.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

When I look for games to buy my main concern is playfield condition as long as there is no water damage, mold in the cabinet or is falling apart I am pretty happy, so I have passed on some decent deals due to fairly worn playfields and knowing how long it will take me to repair and clearcoat a playfield to my liking, I currently have a couple years worth of projects going now, I hope this works out for you so you can start offering more titles.

Being collectors ourselves... this is more common than not. This is exactly the issue we hope to play a part in solving. We hope these will revive the games that sit around (or worse, get parted out) forever with little to no value due to roached playfields in an otherwise quite complete.... and ready to revive game!

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The only thing I immediately notice is that the black on the insert lettering doesn't appear to be very opaque. Given the apparent quality of everything else, it's really a SUPER minor thing to whinge about. I'm looking forward to getting one of these so that I can find another Space Shuttle since I sold mine, and seeing future tables done also. Looks great.

Noted! We are working on an improvement there. I have an MMR with a similar issue. Although, I am with you... it's not a giant issue in my book. Nevertheless, we are working on a solution for this.

1 week later
#84 7 years ago

Hi All,
A quick update.... I am awaiting a few parts to test. We really need to verify one more attribute for durability before we proceed. Once this is complete either this week or next... I will be starting a new thread complete with a list of approved playfields we intend to produce. We already have a donor playfield promised for Future Spa, Wizard, (unofficially) Comet and "possibly" Flash Gordon... if we get 3rd party licensing from the I.P. owners. In total, I believe we have 31 approved titles with the intention of growing that list.

Stay tuned for more "Hardtop" announcements.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Very cool, and I'm sorry if I missed it but is there any projected pricing for the product?

Pricing will vary a bit title by title for multiple reasons. Think roughly in the neighborhood of half the cost of a repro playfield.

Thanks!

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Never thought I'd see pinsiders so happy about sanding off original artwork!

Being collectors ourselves, I still had a little uneasy twitch as I sanded also! However, as I pointed out early in this thread... if it is beyond saving by way of restoration or being sent to an artist..... sand away! Nothing to loose other than remnants of a once great, but now wasted playfield. I think Adam will agree that once complete.... Giggidy Giggidy!

1 week later
#97 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,
A quick update.... The testing is under way, but as it turned out the correct equipment is in Israel. It all needed shipped (already done) over there. It will likely take a few more weeks, but it will be worth the wait to make sure the durability is what we think it is.

- Stay tuned!

1 week later
#106 7 years ago

Good news all... testing results have been completed and reported to me this morning. Scratch resistance of the Hardtop far exceeds that of the typical clear coat process that has traditionally been done. I have the ATSM results and it is what I was pretty sure of in the first place... but now I have it in writing

Now, we can truly begin! All Space Shuttle customers... T- 6 weeks or less! Yes, yes... the pricing... I will announce soon. I need to confer with PPS to make sure my bases are covered. I think you will all be satisfied with pricing.

I will begin a NEW THREAD exclusively centered on Hardtops and titles on deck soon (maybe today). If I have traded messages with you regarding supplying playfields on other titles... please begin stripping them down and prepping for shipment.

1 week later
#118 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Flash has some 15000 unit production run.
I don't get the scratch resistant testing thought?
Why not just have a couple balls rolling around in an automated pf with a couple of pops and rubbers all around it?
Some way to easily get a few months of hard play.
Looks like a cool product though which is how overlays really should be. Imo

Here is why....
That would in no way (with data) tell us how it compares to the hard coat used on modern and restored playfields. We wanted a direct comparison with data, using an ATSM tabor testing method... side by side. That way, we can speak with confidence how it compares to the currently "accepted" method of playfield protection.

Thanks for your interest in the product!

#119 7 years ago

SPACE SHUTTLE HARDTOP PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT: $298.00 plus shipping

Timing is 3-5 weeks

I will announce when we have some to sell.

#122 7 years ago

Ahhh, I see the same post here also. Please check the other thread on Hardtops for my response to the concerned John_I.

1 week later
#130 7 years ago

ahhhh yes, the great "star rollover affair" .... this IS a challenge, and we are working right now on what we feel will be a great solution. I am hesitant to comment much yet, as I would be speaking too much "theory"...verses trying it. ONLY after we battle the "great star rollover affair" and live to tell the tales will I feel like fireside story telling will be in order. More to come soon on this.

2 months later
#135 6 years ago

Hi All! Please check www.pinballgifts.com... Space Shuttle is ready! I prefer to sell only 10 or so as we get started to work out any communication/install bugs. As you will read on our site, if you are not ready and comfortable with the method of installation, we suggest you find a qualified helper. Be sure to read our technical bulleten prior to ordering.

We are excited and preparing 5 more titles!

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Are you still going to be at Pin a Go Go next week? I'd love to see these in person.

I actually am not able to attend Pinagogo... sorry!

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Seems to me you need to have "thicker" custom star rollovers made. Just the star part. Pop out the old and pop in the new.

Star rollovers will have a specific set of instructions. We have tested several approaches, and have settled on a solution. It WILL require a small finish router to final trim star rollover holes AFTER the Hardtop is installed... then you simply reinstall the star rollover that was removed prior to hardtop install and set to new height. We tried it, and it works very well with perfect fitment. Again, we suggest someone that is experienced with routers to set bit depth and type to mill the Hardtop out to existing hole dimensions,using a small bit. We will actually suggest a specific bit in the instructions as we get close to shipping a title that includes rollovers.

Thanks for asking!

#148 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! We shipped 9 Space Shuttles yesterday. We are delivering (for prototyping) the first Pharaoh tomorrow. Once that one is installed and playing for a while... that one will go live on pinballgifts.com for sale. Soon after.... Wizard, Future Spa, Comet and Taxi.... then onto a new batch (after bugs are sorted out on first 6 titles).

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

How long will these be printed? If I decide to wait a few months to see how others' have held up, will there still be stock in say, September? Will these be limited runs? I'd hate to jump into it, find out it doesn't hold up and be disappointed -OR- wait, find out it's a fantastic product, and then not be able to get one.

These WILL be available on an ongoing basis. To also quote another question from the other Hardtop thread.... "Are these prone to scratch?"... they have a hard coating on them to prevent scratching, however.... in reality NOTHING lasts forever... hence the need for my product in the first place. We have developed this product to be an affordable fix for many, many titles that have horrible (beyond usable/presentable) playfield wear. That being said, these too will have some sort of usable life. While it was not in the cards to pay for accelerated wear testing in a lab (yes,that can be done... at a cost$$$) ... we did take approximately one year to research our best case scenario as a great second choice behind a shiney new playfield (if it exists).

Yes, you can wait. We will be ready to send you one when you are ready. So far, 12 Space Shuttles have left the launch pad, not including the 3 we have ourselves.. Believe me, I get it. It is nice to see some success before ordering. We wont play the buy it now or else game. Now, when we get to titles that involve neon/special colors (think Dr. Dude, Party Zone etc.) It WILL be more of a special run... then buy while they last scenario. Why? Because we will run those titles differently in our screen department... ad the cost is more to set up and run.

Pharaoh is being beta tested as we speak... and our Wizard owner is coming to pick up Wizard for his beta this week, we hope. We are now working on COMET, TAXI and FUTURE SPA.

Soon, I will announce our next group of 5 or 6 titles

2 weeks later
#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Does not ship to Canada?

We can ship to Canada... We just do not have our site and payment options set up for International sales. You can actually email us and order manually, then we send you a Paypal invoice to pay. Then we ship... It has worked well so far, as we have shipped to Australia several times.

1 week later
#163 6 years ago

Happy Friday all...I currently have a message out to a member who may be able to supply us with a "circles" insert version of the playfield. If we are able to get one of these stripped playfields sent to us for the modifications to the "hotdog" version... these too will be made available. Stay tuned!

We have now sent out over 20 units, and we are starting to see more finished results!

Pharaoh will be placed on our website for sale as soon as we can get it added. It too is ready to go.

Thanks to all who have purchased so far. We really appreciate your business!

#164 6 years ago

Good news for all you "non hotdog" playfield owners! I have found a collector that is willing to work with us to modify the art to offer a version of the Hardtop that will be for these circle insert playfields floating around. It will be a month or so... but they are coming!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider outsidedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-new-prototype-playfield-product?tu=outsidedge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.