IMG_2322 (resized).jpeg
1C1256EF-9B7D-4E4F-A577-2DD5B827BB67 (resized).jpeg
958558B0-8CF0-4634-B96B-FB4E8D98100E (resized).jpeg
20220811_190506 (resized).jpg
20230628_101644 (resized).jpg
20231208_182709 (resized).jpg
20240311_201949 (resized).jpg
20240416_191224 (resized).jpg
natural-swimming-pool-gary-mcdonald-and-son-inc-img~82a124fc05c41a93_14-1650-1-f9dd0d7 (resized).jpg
There are 1,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.
#1701 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Looks like a fetus ...Tomato Man was born!

#1702 7 months ago
Quoted from luch:

I have been growing large tomatoes for a many years , original seeds came from my italian Nonno , and have been saving the largest's for seeds , last year i had one over 3.5lbs

Probably tastes a thousand times better than anything you get at the grocery.

#1703 7 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:Probably tastes a thousand times better than anything you get at the grocery.

sure does , those at the store are like cardboard , tasteless crap , closest is the heirloom ones , there not bad tasting

#1704 7 months ago

All I know is people that grow tomoatos in their front lawn should be tarred and feathered. Dipshit neighbor across the street had his wife and kids expand a mulch area around a tree about 15 feet to one side. Thought they were doing a garden in the front yard. Good thing they suck at it because nothing grew.

#1705 7 months ago

Just spotted this wasp nest and not looking forward to removing it.

BD819881-1160-49B4-8466-63D5B4EC6BD7 (resized).jpegBD819881-1160-49B4-8466-63D5B4EC6BD7 (resized).jpeg
#1706 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

[quoted image]

That’s a night shift job!

#1707 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Won't they all be dead or dormant by winter? Or do you need it gone before then? You could use some of that 27-foot spray foam wasp killer. Aim for the hole and don't miss.

#1708 7 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

You could use some of that 27-foot spray foam wasp killer. Aim for the hole and don't miss.

And then be prepared to run! Been there, done that. As soon as you start spraying they’re going to come after you with a vengeance.

#1709 7 months ago

Wouldn't it be better to cover and gently wrap the hive and surrounding branch(es) in a large garbage bag and tie it off? (Preferably at night)

Then cut the branch off?

#1710 7 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Won't they all be dead or dormant by winter? Or do you need it gone before then? You could use some of that 27-foot spray foam wasp killer. Aim for the hole and don't miss.

This^^^^ but at night! Problem solved!!!

#1711 7 months ago

Hope they are not Murder hornets..that would suck

#1712 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

[quoted image]

This is how a real man does it, Shantel...

#1713 7 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

...You could use some of that 27-foot spray foam wasp killer...

This^^ on a cool night.

#1714 7 months ago

I have decided to let nature take its course . Don’t bother us, and haven’t noticed . My son read a scripture when he was very young at a funeral..love everything including what creeps and crawls. I remember that and quite true. If the nest was hanging in my kitchen , well that’s different story.

#1715 7 months ago

Grounds getting ready for fall and winter.

1000009436 (resized).jpg1000009436 (resized).jpg
#1716 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

[quoted image]

Ontario?
If you get real winters, just wait a little, the wasps will die and the queen will spend the winter in a hole in the ground. Wasps do good stuff.

#1717 7 months ago

Had an urge for a Dark roast by the pool!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1718 7 months ago

There are some very nice properties on here. My backyard is a soccer field. My kid and his buddies played every day back there which was the reason for the turf.

IMG_0092 (resized).jpegIMG_0092 (resized).jpeg
#1719 7 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Grounds getting ready for fall and winter.[quoted image]

You mean lake?

#1720 7 months ago

I believe this weekend is going to be perfect for overseeding.

#1721 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I believe this weekend is going to be perfect for overseeding.

I might already be too late up here near Chicago. It was too hot & dry until like a week ago, and we'll probably get a frost by Halloween. Feel like I missed my window.

#1722 7 months ago

But everyone, I mean everyone says Fall is best. I firmly believe I have best chance of new grass in the Spring.

#1723 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I firmly believe I have best chance of new grass in the Spring.

Agreed, seems like my new grass has a batter chance of surviving Chicago summer than winter. Could be different further south. I grew up in the Missouri bootheel where summer was hell and winter was a joke. Down there I'm guessing fall is best.

#1724 7 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Agreed, seems like my new grass has a batter chance of surviving Chicago summer than winter. Could be different further south. I grew up in the Missouri bootheel where summer was hell and winter was a joke. Down there I'm guessing fall is best.

Fall works well for fescue down here. Spring for everything else.

#1725 7 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

I might already be too late up here near Chicago. It was too hot & dry until like a week ago, and we'll probably get a frost by Halloween. Feel like I missed my window.

Quoted from RyanStl:

But everyone, I mean everyone says Fall is best. I firmly believe I have best chance of new grass in the Spring.

I was just talking to a neighbor about this topic a week or so ago. I read where if you do a fall seeding, you need to plant it early enough that the new grass is established enough that a frost won't hurt it. Another option is in the winter when the seed is never exposed to warmer temps, causing it to rot (it just lays there, frozen until spring), then it's all set to go in the spring.

Not sure how location or the variety of seed affects it, but I'm probably leaning towards a spring reseeding (after dethatching and aeration) some bluegrass. It's been a few years since I reseeded, plus it was a rather tough year on the grass despite my best efforts.

#1726 7 months ago

I'm throwing out seed srping and fall, no matter what is better. Have had a lot better big area restoration in the Spring though. Aeration and seed at the same time is best.

#1727 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm throwing out seed srping and fall, no matter what is better. Have had a lot better big area restoration in the Spring though. Aeration and seed at the same time is best.

LOL, in the end I often do the same. Mother Nature is pretty good about growing things

#1728 7 months ago

Excellent point about winter seeding.lays frozen then fertilizes in the spring..late winter seeding and push the seeds in the snow to deter the birds?

#1729 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Excellent point about winter seeding.lays frozen then fertilizes in the spring..late winter seeding and push the seeds in the snow to deter the birds?

Not on the snow, on the ground.

#1730 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not on the snow, on the ground.

dropping seed in melting snow not good idea?b

#1731 7 months ago

Congratulations Honorable Melanie Joly for winning the WLA "best looking Canadian Politician of 2023"America Lauren Boebert in second as overall champion

#1732 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

dropping seed in melting snow not good idea?b

That's what I read anyways. Could be because it might not settle on the ground (blows away, birds eat it).

#1733 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That's what I read anyways. Could be because it might not settle on the ground (blows away, birds eat it).

I always heard that some old timers seeded before the last snow of the year.

#1734 7 months ago

Seeding in the snow makes sense, it’s the bloody crows that feast.

#1735 7 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I always heard that some old timers seeded before the last snow of the year.

Supposedly as the snow melted above, it worked/pushed the seed down into the frost heaved soil and was partially or totally covered when the ground finally thawed.

#1736 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Seeding in the snow makes sense, it’s the bloody crows that feast.

Crows in my area don’t bother the seed. It’s the starlings and grackles. If you don’t spread grub control product on the lawn the crows dig them out. It’s funny because the crows only stop by a couple of the homes in my neighborhood. They must not apply grub control.

#1737 7 months ago

I went on vacation for 10 days after spot-treating some weeds with quinclorac, and came home to this. It’s pretty clear that I burned the Zoysia, and the weeds just laughed. I’m going to try again with Certainty (Sulfosufuron) tomorrow. Pretty sure this is Poanna?

IMG_3984 (resized).jpegIMG_3984 (resized).jpegIMG_3985 (resized).jpegIMG_3985 (resized).jpeg
#1738 7 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

... Pretty sure this is Poanna?...

Try the PlantNet app on your phone. Load the app, take a picture (or more) of the plant, and it gives you results of what the plant might be (ranked from mostly likely to lowest).

#1739 7 months ago

Looks like my dogs spent a week at your house.

#1740 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Looks like my dogs spent a week at your house.

Or if I accidently sprayed grass killer instead of weed killer!

#1741 7 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I went on vacation for 10 days after spot-treating some weeds with quinclorac, and came home to this. It’s pretty clear that I burned the Zoysia, and the weeds just laughed. I’m going to try again with Certainty (Sulfosufuron) tomorrow. Pretty sure this is Poanna?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Look into Tenacity for the Poanna. And also check if you can use it on Zoysia (I see mixed comments). It will take care on Poanna, but is super slow - as in weeks and then probably a 2nd application on top of that. Tenacity stops photosynthesis, killing the plant.

https://greenpacks.org/poa-annua-tenacity/

That link also discusses Blindside (towards the bottom) which is Tenacity + a herbicide. Sounds like that will stop it for sure.

2 weeks later
#1742 6 months ago

I’m taking a break from the lawn to finish the ceiling under my deck(s). Great weather for it here in Atlanta!

IMG_4025 (resized).jpegIMG_4025 (resized).jpegIMG_4029 (resized).jpegIMG_4029 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1743 6 months ago

Accidentally nuked my lawn this year so I decided to switch from a thick mix of grass I was mowing at 3” to a perennial rye kept at 1” or under.

Took the opportunity to level it out, raise my sidewalk, and install sprinklers.

This was last year.
6BEBF2CE-6411-4C5A-85B9-50D21EA27792 (resized).jpeg6BEBF2CE-6411-4C5A-85B9-50D21EA27792 (resized).jpeg

54DB4804-4324-4C48-8014-256F09FD1C4D (resized).jpeg54DB4804-4324-4C48-8014-256F09FD1C4D (resized).jpeg
And currently
3E4A8206-11BB-45B7-AA66-C2697E5A566C (resized).jpeg3E4A8206-11BB-45B7-AA66-C2697E5A566C (resized).jpegAF4C80EC-8854-462A-8F29-2E081C2EEC99 (resized).jpegAF4C80EC-8854-462A-8F29-2E081C2EEC99 (resized).jpeg

#1744 6 months ago

Your house and lawn looks beautiful . Nice recovery.

#1745 6 months ago

Nice American flag below the top window would look awesome!

#1746 6 months ago

Looks great orangegsx

#1747 6 months ago

That's not a Lawn it's a carpet.

#1748 6 months ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Accidentally nuked my lawn this year so I decided to switch from a thick mix of grass I was mowing at 3” to a perennial rye kept at 1” or under.
Took the opportunity to level it out, raise my sidewalk, and install sprinklers.
This was last year.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And currently

I see see a diagonal cut pic . That's a No No. looks much better perpendicular.

#1749 6 months ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

This was last year.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And currently

That does look vey nice, we've had a rough year in northern Indiana for lawns. But in about a month or so I'll put down some fertilizer, getting ready for the spring.

#1750 6 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That does look vey nice, we've had a rough year in northern Indiana for lawns. But in about a month or so I'll put down some fertilizer, getting ready for the spring.

Perhaps a drone pic..like to see your fairy ring situation

There are 1,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-lawn/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.