You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220811_190506 (resized).jpg
20230628_101644 (resized).jpg
20231208_182709 (resized).jpg
20240311_201949 (resized).jpg
20240416_191224 (resized).jpg
natural-swimming-pool-gary-mcdonald-and-son-inc-img~82a124fc05c41a93_14-1650-1-f9dd0d7 (resized).jpg
20240423_090403 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DA9A7E17-C8D1-4EDB-8D67-33B8D9322B5E (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
CFC26C57-9495-42C7-B623-541058C19027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3080 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3081 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 2 years ago

OP, your statement about keep the mower up high to achieve the best grass. That's what I tell my wife when she says the grass is getting tall. I tell her I'm keeping it healthy.

Serously, no pics, but we recently moved to a new house. We have zero trees in the front yard, which means I'm taking over nice grass. First thing I did was spray out the weeds I found. I plan to keep it nice where before I had the same philosophy of another Pinsider; if it's green it's good.

I'm also guilty of not changing the oil in a mower for 10 yrs. The thing ran great and the first oil change I did was when I sold it because my FIL gave me a better mower.

I put up with two Sweet Gum trees the past 14 years and regret not cutting them down on year one. They were a constant problem. No Sweet Gum trees for me now.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Oh no. My lot is about 23 degrees off of true north...now what?
Seriously though, I've never heard the diagonal stress thing before. Can you explain why?

You have to pass over the grass several times to get that nice diagonal pattern. You may be over compacting your soil and running over grass more than needed.

Edit: Another excuse I give my wife when she wonders why all the retired neighbor's houses have that nice checkered pattern.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Started from scratch 4 years ago. This was hydroseeded. The machine they had to prep the soil was incredible.
[quoted image]

Isn't all grasse seed hydroseeded. I mean if you don't water it, it's not going to grow. but not really.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I have about an acre and a half of manicured grass. I didn't even ask for an estimate to use sod.

You definitely have a nice lot, wish I had that separation. I just never heard of hydroseeding. I've seen on roadway projects where they shoot seed, water, and straw out of a cannon on a hill side. I'm guessing that's not what you did.

At my last house we killed of all the grass in the back to start fresh. I had it coming in real nice from seed and straw. However, my 100 lb Lab (RIP) would drop a gallon of urine in one spot at a time. Basically undoing all my hard work. My FIL never misses a chance to say I should hire someone to sod it. Guess what, the sod would have been killed too and then I would be out that money.

#143 2 years ago

Wait, is that your wife? I can see a thread lock awfully fast and lots of bush and milkweed jokes. I better get a picture of my lawn.

#144 2 years ago

My front yard. No trees and not very big, so I think I can keep this grass nice. Any yellow spots are from the dogs peeing. No pic of the backyard because you'll kick me out when you see all the bare spots. Most of the bare spots is where my new patio is going and I have a water issue that should be taken care of this summer.

IMG_20210518_194746334 (resized).jpgIMG_20210518_194746334 (resized).jpgIMG_20210518_194547868 (resized).jpgIMG_20210518_194547868 (resized).jpg

#156 2 years ago

Is that your pose when you find out you have a family event? I see clover. Better get on top of that.

#167 2 years ago

How important is edging the sidewalk? I have an edger that I used to intall an invisible dog fence. I tried on the sidewalk and it was just throwing sparks and didn't work well for intended use. I just hit the edge with my weed eater.

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Are you not keeping the blade perpendicular to the sidewalk or maybe going too deep?? I've seen that myself, but it more of an exception than the norm. Keep in mind, the edger blades do wear out.
Once I use the edger, then the weed-whacker keeps it in decent shape for quite a while. I maybe use the edger once or twice a year.
Is this the first time edging? You might just have just so much crud there that you can't really see where to edge? If so, try a flat shovel to get rid on some of the buildup. Edging for the very first time can be a little rough, but smooth sailing afterwards.

I did have it low, so maybe that was the problem. The soil was also wet, which I dealt with the whole time puttin in the invisible fence because it kept getting clogged.

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The wet soil really makes it hard. Dry soil just turns to dust or fine dirt and you're sort of done w/it. Doesn't apply to your original 'sparks' comment - that's likely the blade just hitting the concrete or a stone, you'll just have to practice a bit more. If you have a ton of grass overhanging the walk - all the grass strands/roots make it hard too. A straight shovel might be better to cut trough all the initial stuff, and might not be as nearly as bad as it sounds. Once and done, and likely faster than if you're overwhelming the edger.
Electric or gas edger?
Back to your 'sparks' comment...if you do have a lot of grass overhanging the walk, then I'm guessing the blade isn't even finding the sidewalk edge...maybe just hitting the top of the sidewalk?

No, it was on edge of sidewalk, but you are right; sparks were from rubbing against the concrete. I was trying to follow the sidewalk as a guide. After a couple feet I realized I need to hold the elecric fince 6 inches from the sidewalk to keep the dogs from getting to close to the walk. Electric is what I have. I have to admit, mine looks fine without the edge, but when I walk by a house that edged the sidewalk I think, damn that dude cares; it looks good.

3 weeks later
#299 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Cast iron self propelled tractor lawn sprinkler.
Climbs hills easy and does a great job.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I bought one those from CL a year ago and absolutely love it. I was moving sprinklers four time to cover the area. No more, just set the path for the tractor and it covers the whole back yard. I don't rely on the stop though. Setting a timer and keeping an eye on her from time to time to make sure didn't jump ship is required. The great thing is the tractor moves so slow the dogs leave it alone.

2 weeks later
#352 2 years ago

cdnpinbacon Happy Canada Day, I'm going to have some bacon tonight.

1 month later
#420 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

still a work in progress but I'm getting there ...
[quoted image]

Which one is progress? Less or more decoration?

2 weeks later
#428 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Top one is when PeeWee owned it. Bottom is after the studio cleaned it up.
I used to own and maintain six acres, but I got tired of the upkeep so I converted it all back to wildflower fields except for the area close to the house. The first year the neighbors all thought I was nuts, but the second year it looked great and the pollinators returned to the area. That one decision convinced me to always have a small lawn with a large wildflower field.

Holy crap, I thought that looked familiar. I didn't realize until you mentioned PeeWee and I zoomed in.

#438 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

My sons front an back yard not far from York Pa.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm guessing no dogs and kids. Looks great. I did the rock thing once and was always throwing them back from the grass to the rock bed. Damn kids and animals kept moving them around. Not to mention the GD dog pee spots.

1 month later
#451 2 years ago

Should I be putting something on my lawn this time of year? The front lawn looks worse than when I moved in. I do have a dog that pisses all over and had annoying sedge grass over the summer that grew crazy. Do I fertilize and overseed? I don't really want to water it though.

5 months later
#492 2 years ago

I've been stalking WUndergound looking for the perfect time to put down grass seed. The dogs have done a number front and back. Can't picture because it's so bad.

#497 2 years ago

The grass doesn't care about the #2 dog dew, it's the pee that kills it. I never found a good online resource to tell me how to counteract the dig piss. God bless him, my huge lab is no longer with us, but that dog did a number. He would pee twice a day and a gallon would come out. He liked the same spots. The current labs spread it around more, except in the front.

2 weeks later
#509 2 years ago

I laid down a bunch of grass seed and top soil yesterday and got a big rain today. I hope it didn't all wash away. I swear buying grass seed is like throwing money into the wind.

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Well...if you have (2) Crazy as hell German Shorthairs..and when you let them out the slider door (8' of patio cement before the grass starts) then they see a rabbit or worse yet, the all time enemy "The squirl", The yard turns into mud. These dogs have so much torque when they take off the grass is flying. Doesn't help after winter or as of late.. a bunch of rain.
I always have to reseed/resod in the spring, every year.[quoted image]

I hear ya brother. My dogs are always killing my grass.

Good news though, my grass seed and thin layer of top soil I laid down Sunday survived the storm yesterday. The ground was soggy so I just stomped it all in. We are supposed to get about 1.25 inches tomorrow, so we'll see if it survives that. For those that suggested aerating. Yeah, that would have been smart, but I was too lazy. I don't have a utility trailer anymore, so I would really have to hire it out.

1 month later
#624 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Finally trees and flowers starting to bloom..rain in forcast for next few days..perfect!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

We have the same exact patio set. Always covered.

#638 1 year ago

I had Zoysia at the last house and one summer that whole damn thing died. Heard a fungus went around. I struggled with that lawn ever since.

#650 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Add some pop bumpers to the croquet yard. Or at least a spinner.

I like how you think

#652 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Take a look at Tenacity. It kills by stopping photosynthesis (weeds turn white), not by poison(s). Sounds like you'll be seeding too(?), and this stuff can be applied over seeds. It is both a pre and post emergent.
Pricey at ~$60/8oz, but you barely need any per gallon (1/2 teaspoon), 8oz will last for ages, so really cheaper in the long run. Also, it works slow (i.e. weeks, not days) and you might (will) need a 2nd application. I'm a big fan of it.
https://www.peachcountrytractor.com/blogs/products/frequently-asked-questions-about-tenacity-herbicide
"Frequently Asked Questions about Tenacity Herbicide
What is Tenacity Herbicide?
Manufactured by Syngenta, Tenacity is one of the safest and most effective weedkillers on the market. It targets and effectively kills weeds like crabgrass, nutsedge, dandelions, clover, and others, either before they sprout (pre-emergent control) or after you notice patches of weeds on your lawn (post-emergent).
Is Tenacity Herbicide safe for use around children and pets?
Once this weedkiller has dried on your lawn, it is safe and non-toxic for children and pets. The active ingredient is mesotrione, a sulfur compound derived from the bottlebrush plant. Tenacity was granted a ‘reduced-risk’ status by the Environmental Protection Agency and does not contain cancer-causing ingredients.
Is Tenacity Herbicide toxic?
This herbicide is toxic to many kinds of weeds but has been deemed safe to use on lawns where children and pets play.
How does Tenacity Herbicide work?
The compounds in Tenacity disrupt photosynthesis in weeds by blocking enzymes needed for plant growth. You will see the leaves on the weeds turn pale as the weed dies, so healthy grass can take over."
amazon.com link »

I have to try this or another product called sedge hammer. I have nutsedge that looks like crap when it grows faster than the rest of the grass in the summer.

#658 1 year ago

I ordered the Tenacity, surfacant, and sprayer last night. I'll apply this weekend. Hope it works as well as everyone says.

#663 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've had great results with it, but patience is a virtue w/that stuff (and probably a 2nd application). Rather odd seeing white 'weeds' in the yard.
The other thing you might want to try is some blue dye from a place like Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc. Makes it easy to spot what was sprayed and what was missed. It's not permanent, so if you get some on landscaping/house/whatever...it'll fade after a couple of days. But no doubt, some will end up on your hands!
Here's a pic I took long time ago of something turning white after getting blasted w/Tencaity:
[quoted image]

You know how Amazon shows what people also bought when you buy something. I saw that dye and thought it didn't need. I don't care if I hit a spot twice. I'm going whole hog.

#684 1 year ago

Peonies are like big natural boobs. They get droopy, but when properly supported are an awesome sight.

#697 1 year ago

We're waiting.......

#708 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Amazon won’t ship to me. Wondering if that is because I am residential?

I got mine last week from Amazon. Now I'm just waiting for it to work. I read you need patience and like two weeks. I had left over mixed, but it supposedly is only good for 24 hrs, so I don't know what to do with the left over.

#720 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

There's been times I have extra and I just use it for a 2nd application a couple of weeks later (right or wrong). Can't say I paid enough attention if it worked or not.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Extra should still be effective even weeks later

Good to know. I'm happy to report my nutsedge is turning ghostly. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. It's really nice to see visual progress.

#722 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Keep an eye out for any 'green' in the plant that starts to show up again. That usually indicates another application might be appropriate.

I'm hitting it twice no matter. I take no prisoners.

#725 1 year ago

I believe this is after 5 days of spraying Tenacity. We just planted those perenials and the one picture there are Day Lillies I tried to miss and think I did an okay job. I'm waiting for the weeds to die before putting some more mulch down.

IMG_20220602_172628070_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220602_172628070_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220602_172613832_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220602_172613832_HDR (resized).jpg

#728 1 year ago

That's ace.

#740 1 year ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

My neighbor (super old dude) lowered my mower when my wife was cutting the grass many years ago. This then caused the blade to hit a low stump and bent the blade. Needless to say - I think I have cut the grass every time since then. No one should touch another person's mower height. Not cool.

I have a friend that likes to mess with his OCD neighbor. The neigbhor mows right after my friend and tries to match the height exactly. So my friend started changing the mow height each time. My friend got a real kick out of this, but when I heard the story I though great, OK. Well, at least I had a story to tell here for what it's worth.

1 week later
#793 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Question for you Zoysia guys…my sod installer left the rolled up sod in the sun for a day and a half before installing it. It has streaks of brown and yellow and white all through it. He told me that it’s “just stressed” and that in 3 weeks it’ll be fine. I’m giving it an inch of water a day - and it’s taking it all, because we have 95 degree days here. Any advice? I water it for an hour just before dawn.
[quoted image]

This is why grass is my arch enemy. You paid for sod and still looks like I own it. Hope it fills in.

#820 1 year ago

Tenacity update. This is after second application. Worked great killing the nutsedge, which was my main goal. Other random stuff I put it on was still hanging on. I'm going to full cover those spots with mulch tomorrow to clean it up.

IMG_20220619_165955776 (resized).jpgIMG_20220619_165955776 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220619_165948101_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220619_165948101_HDR (resized).jpg

#834 1 year ago
Quoted from danisme:

Okay I have probably an idiotic question for you lawn gurus. I mow roughly a 30x20 lawn for my mom. Is it more efficient to just go around the rectangle as it gets smaller each time or would it be better to just go in one row at a time across? I'm terrible at spatial stuff and it's been bugging me if I could be more efficient. Now it's 100+ here so I'd like to get it done as fast as possible. Maybe it doesn't even mater.

Pick the longest lines and go with that. The least turning the quicker you will cut. Therefore, spirling in in rectangles is going to take longer.

#835 1 year ago

I shit you not, I have someone in the neighborhood that uses guinea pigs to cut their grass. It doesn't looks good.

#838 1 year ago

My 13 year old for some reason decided to edge our lawn. I had the edger/trencher to lay an electric fence for the dog. My son had an itch to use it so at 7:30pm last night I showed him how to use it. Our sidewalk had never been egded, but hid did good until it started to get dark where he wondered in the tree lawn. He finished it up the next day and only tripped the circuit breaker once. It may not look it, but he cleaned up the mess a lot.

IMG_20220627_200232260_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220627_200232260_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20220627_200247392 (resized).jpgIMG_20220627_200247392 (resized).jpg

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Wow he did a Great Job!

I agree. The grass overlapped the sidealk a couple inches on each side along with soil. He had to cut a lot out and used a snow shovel to put the debri in our lawn waste bin. I wish I had a picture of the mess.

#848 1 year ago
Quoted from Dezman:

Anybody on here have a dog and any tricks to avoid yellow spots where they pee? My lawn will look like a chess board soon.

I have researched this a ton. The only real answer I have found is you have to pour a bunch of water on it right after. Yeah, I know, not realistic.

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Maybe have a small area of stones, and teach the pooch to use that area?

Yes, preventing the problem is always best. Not much help when your dogs like the grass.

1 week later
#892 1 year ago

You know what has tenacity, F'ng crab grass. I had to hit my front planter bed again today. I'll be back in 2 weeks. The honey suckle and whatever the vines are under my two pine trees are almost gone between the Tenacity and Roundup.

#894 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Might take a 3rd application. You'll get there tho.
Any chance you were spraying spurge? If so, that's some tough stuff. It's so viney that if you miss some, it just seems to keep going where you missed. I can mix up a strong batch of Glyphosate (i.e. kills everything, but spurge is somewhat tolerant of it), and the spurge just keeps going when everything else is deader than a door nail. And spurge isn't on the Tenacity list of what it will kill.
Spurge below:
[quoted image]

I have some of that, but not a lot. For some reason it likes to live between the concrete walkway and grass. It's all goint to die, just new stuff keeps popping up. The sedge grass is a pain though. Although the tenacity works on it, that dam stuff decided to hug my day lillies which tenacity will also kill.

#896 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Anyone else here addicted to certain YouTube lawn channels? “How To With Doc” is my favorite. He’s the kind of guy you’d love to have a beer with, and he’s a real lawn guru. I also have a guilty pleasure, “YardBrah”. He’s insanely devoted to his little 3,000 square foot lawn, and he’s entertaining. Little things make him happy.

I'll have to try it. Sivler Cymbal has some good review stuff, but I only check in sometimes.

#906 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That guy has quality content, but I just can’t handle his voice. He sounds like if Fran Drescher was a man.

Yeah, you aren't kidding. Its ok too me though, but he'll never get a national gig because of it.

#907 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just found this thread.
This shot was from last Oct 2021 (early fall) of the far back yard.
(near my raised bed garden)
The lawn actually looks fairly nice when freshly mowed.
But if you look closely, it is full of dandelion weeds,
Sorry Canadian bacon man.
Here in Salem Oregon, the city makes most of its general revenue from the water & sewer billings,
If you want your lawn green throughout the dry summer months,
It will cost you; I live on 2/3rd of an acre
and in summer the water bill is $200/month
In winter time (when I do not have to water the lawn) its $100/month.
When I first moved here from California, 8 yrs ago,
I wondered why a lot of lawns were brown.
Now I know.
My water bill, when I lived in Bakersfield Ca (where annual rainfall is 6"/yr),
was anywhere from $40 to $80 bucks/month.
Here where it rains 50 inches a year, it $100/mo. minimum.
[quoted image]

Sorry your water cost is so high. We have it good here.

#909 1 year ago

One way to find out

#929 1 year ago

Sorry, no pics, but my front lawn is starting to look like a gray graveyard with all the gray crab grass. Now it's been hot for awhile all the sedge and other crab grasses are making themselves a nuisance. I'm terminating them though.

#945 1 year ago

I don't know how you all's rocks stay put. Between my kids, kids friends, and dogs they are always all over the place.

#948 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It's tough to do some watering in the backyard with two black labs.
[quoted image]

Beatuiful dogs.

Edit: Here are my labs

IMG_20220221_131802992 (resized).jpgIMG_20220221_131802992 (resized).jpg

#953 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

I have been paying a guy to fertilize and spray my yard. He fertilizes 6-12-20, 10% iron, T-zone, and tenacity. I know some of this is pellets and some is in liquid form. Is anyone here doing all this themselves? How do you apply the liquid herbicides? Do I need a fancy sprayer?

No, just a $10 2 gallon garden sprayer. Fill it with the chemical and water, pump, and spray. Don't do it in the wind.

Wish cdnpinbacon would come back. Hope is OK.

#963 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Had a meltdown..I'm ok now.

Glad you are back. Hope all is well.

#967 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Spotted in your backyard Swamp
[quoted image]

I love the hairdo

#968 1 year ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Welcome to California
[quoted image]

What's the irrigation for?

#970 1 year ago

Yeah, you know it's bad when irrigation doesn't keep it alive. Maybe time for rock.

#977 1 year ago

I went on vacation and saw lots of rain in the forecast, so didn't worry about paying a neighbor kid to water the lawn. Didn't realize the area would get 8-10 inches in one day. Hope my basement is OK.

#989 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I went to visit some wealthy friends at their new home last night (4 car garage, 2-tier home theater, etc). About 6 months ago, the builder threw some dormant zoysia on top of the clay without tilling it or amending it. It’s looking really sad, and the soil is heavily compacted. He asked me what he should do, and I said “start over”. Fortunately it’s only about 800 square feet, so it shouldn’t be all that expensive (relative to the rest of the house).
Really made me appreciate our yard, and the prep work our installer did.

Glad they turned out to know what they were doing. It was sketchy at first.

#1025 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I snuck over to my neighbor’s “yard” and zapped his crabgrass farm with quinclorac. I can’t complain too much because last year I was the one who gave up on the lawn and the weeds.
I wouldn’t care about his crabgrass if it didn’t spread seeds like crazy.
[quoted image]

I did the same where my front property meets my neighbor with the sedge grass. I was sprying mine, they left and got on his driveway and sprayed it all. Shit was coming from my lawn though. Did him a favor.

#1035 1 year ago

My front yard is looking terrible. More weeds dying from Tenacity than fescue.

IMG_20220808_164233287 (resized).jpgIMG_20220808_164233287 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220808_164253624_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220808_164253624_HDR (resized).jpg

#1039 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The dog is like "I did not do this".

They do their own damage, but I still love them

#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Pretty cool how Tenacity works, isn't it?
Was that one or two applications?

Been using every two weeks all summer. My FIL just came over to lecture me that I don't know what I'm doing and I need to hire a service. Said I need to control the weeds. WTF, do you think I'm doing trying to kill it? Thing is how it turns gray/white, it looks really weird.

1 week later
#1067 1 year ago
Quoted from robm:

Just catching up on this thread and need to respond to this. Lime does not always help drainage and structure in clay soils. Lime requires an acid soil to react - in which case it will assist in soil structure improvement (and displacing sodium if this is an issue), however if the soil is nuetral or alkaline, then lime will do absolutely nothing to soil strucutre. You can go back and find white lumps in the soil years later, which is the lime still there, and doing nothing. I dig soil pits and find these regularly in our alkaline soils - evidence of previous applications of lime that did nothing.
So if your soil pH is over 6.5 (alkaline soil), then you should use gypsum to improve soil structure, if its under 5.5, lime is the best option. If its 5.5-6.5, then gypsum will still work, but you may get a response from lime - some of the farmers i advise in these situations use a blend of lime and gypsum.
Also - lime will only green the grass if there is a calcium deficiency - if there is adequate calcium, then it will have no effect.
Hope everyone enjoyed today's agronomy lesson!

Maybe this is why I'll never had a good lawn. I'm throwing lime and gypsum. If one works two is better. I haven't resorted to this at the new house, but used to have a 110 lb lab that would drop a gallon of pee at a time in the same spots. I tried everything to keep grass, but never could.

2 weeks later
#1107 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Last night, during the night, at my rental a few miles away, either skunk or raccoon had a field day going after grubs
and proceeded to dug up the lawn.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe rattlesnake holes? No, can't be, but it's in your head now.

1 week later
#1118 1 year ago

I'm going to attempt growing new grass this weekend. Forecast looks good for cool season grass.

#1122 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

This time of year with cold mornings usually makes for some interesting picture moments, whilst walking the dog on the ranch.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where do you live; middle earth?

#1124 1 year ago

My weeds are mostly heat lovers so I'm trying to get fescue back in while it likes the cooler weather. Still humid as fuck, which I'm guessing is good for grass seed

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yea.

Dalsland a rural part of sweden.

It's beautiful.

1 week later
#1136 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

went to this site to help ID
https://identify.plantnet.org/namerica/identify
Might be a type of Dichondra or Speedwell or Chickweed or WaterCress.
Where it is in a big patch I will attempt to dig up and remove
but where it has spread and more dispersed, almost impossible to pick or dig every light small plant,
hoping to find some sort of herbicide specific to kill off this stuff without hurting the regular grass blades.

I had chickweed at the old house and it looked like this. That was a bastard to deal with. Had to pull it manually and it never gave up.

1 week later
#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I said ok and he cut my front lawn diagonally with a ride on mower!
[quoted image]

That Mother F'r. Diagonal, like a Neanderthal? Doesn't he know that doubles the stress on the grass? He also cut it too low.

#1152 1 year ago

My cat does the same, but they are always alive, which isn't real helpful

3 weeks later
#1164 1 year ago

That's a nice saw

#1166 1 year ago

I have a smallest Green works electric chainsaw I use on limbs and bushes. I like it, but accidentally knock the chain off more than I would like. It's my honeysuckle killer

#1171 1 year ago

Always happens when I go at an angle and probably applying pressure wrong. As long as I don't cut myself I I'm doing good.

1 week later
#1177 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm thinking about getting a cordless chainsaw. After fighting w/my 2-stroke chain saw to keeping it running, I think I'm about ready to switch just to get rid of the hassle. I spend more time trying to start it sometimes than sawing. I'll keep the gas chainsaw around since it's 18", but I could probably get by w/10" cordless 99% of the time.[quoted image]

I have Green works, but love the electric chainsaw

#1182 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sing death metal around a nice fire!

Sing, nice choice of words. Should be fun though.

1 week later
#1204 1 year ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Finally got my grass put in end of September. I had to wait 3 months after we moved in to our new house. Thankfully I got an irrigation system and was able to water it before this cold Ohio winter coming.
Dewey is loving it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It won't take him long to fuck it up.

#1209 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Maybe it's different up there, but if you don't give the roots a chance to get going before the cold, doesn't the grass just die?

Yeah, I would think so. I was talking about your K9 though. I swear I'm not bad at lawns, but my dogs always counter my efforts.

#1211 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Doggie diapers

Uh, no thanks on that.

4 months later
#1236 1 year ago

I had backyard aerated and seeded last week. I also have the half that is destroyed from the dogs fenced off with danger tape and survey stakes. I'm hoping for a nice backyard this year.

#1243 1 year ago

The grass in the background looks really good

#1261 1 year ago

AP is making mowers now?

#1266 1 year ago

It's chickweed. I had shitload of that at the last house.

#1271 1 year ago

The front yard is looking really nice. The aeration may have done its job. Plus, with the pre-emergent, no weeds; yet.

IMG_20230407_175640601_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230407_175640601_HDR (resized).jpg

#1274 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I just had mine aerated yesterday. Neighbor has a nice plug style aerator (not the spike kind), he did mine and in turn I dethatched his. Win/win for both of us. Going to be nice all week, the lawns are going to pop.

Nice symbiotic relationship.

#1275 1 year ago

I have to add, I don't cut low and no diagonal. Bacon should be proud.

#1282 1 year ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Can we see a paper or coke can on the lawn to Confirm 2023?

I'll use my d... Nvmd

#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Maples might be a week or so early this year.[quoted image]

Mines been throwing off helicopters last few weeks

#1299 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s Zoysia from sod. It was thriving last fall. I’ll be dethatching today

Are you the person that had a sketcy zoysia intall last year?

#1306 1 year ago

Is that a manhole cover in every single sidewalk slab?

#1309 1 year ago

All I can see is Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michalangelo popping out.

#1316 1 year ago

Why did you do Zoysia to begin with? Had that at my last house and was happy when it all died because of some disease.

#1318 1 year ago

It's brown except like three months and doesn't feel good on the feet.

#1319 1 year ago

Maybe, Zoysia makes sense further south, but in Missouri; I don't like it.

#1321 1 year ago

You don't have your location listed for some reason. It helps to know what region people live.

#1323 1 year ago

Ok, that makes sense.

2 weeks later
#1348 11 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Can’t wait for some tractor sprinkler Action!

Can't use right now or there is too much water. Learned my lesson on that. The tractor will be used in the summer.

#1362 11 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Fire tonite!
[quoted image]

Doesn't that go in the fire pit?

#1363 11 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hot dogs on the fire, Playoff hockey on tv and My lawn tractor needs a nice clean. Life is Good.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks just like mine

1 week later
#1372 11 months ago

Bacon. I just got back from early summer vacation and we left last Sat. morning with no time to mow since previous weekend. Got home and the grass is long as hell. It's starting to get seed pods.

I don't know if I will be able to cut tomorrow because of rain. I might get reported to my HOA.

I have to take a pic tomorrow.

#1374 11 months ago

I know it's hard, but train the puppy to go where you have mulch or don't care about the grass. Years of researching says this is best way, or just stop caring like me.

#1375 11 months ago

Here is my tall grass after getting back from vacation. 2 weeks growth.

IMG_20230514_121326160_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230514_121326160_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20230514_121412312_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230514_121412312_HDR (resized).jpg

#1376 11 months ago

My son cut it today. I said use highest settings. I look out and see how short it was. I asked about my request for highest setting. He said he did and then went over a second time in low setting. Oh well, looks nice.

Bare spot has seed in it which should appear in 2 weeks
IMG_20230514_130438526_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230514_130438526_HDR (resized).jpg

#1378 11 months ago

I applaud you on keeping your rock/mulch beds leaf free!

#1402 11 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm guessing no dogs or kids that kick those perfectly lined rocks and mulch beds. I could never keep something looking that nice with my two labs and 5 kids.

#1407 11 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I just paid $122 for an ounce and a half of Certainty to kill my poanna, which is out of control. Nothing at Home Depot can touch it; this stuff better work as well as the Amazon reviews say. On the bright side, the March pre-emergent took care of all the other kinds of weeds. No crabgrass so far.

Good luck brother.

#1417 11 months ago

It's geogrid and typically used to make driveways that look like grass. Normally you fill voids with soil and seed. The grid can hold a fire truck.

2 weeks later
#1473 10 months ago

Ha, thought you meant to send the tractor that way, but yeah, no hose track. I'm going to run mine tomorrow. Hasn't rained in a couple weeks, so I like to water every two or three days.

#1478 10 months ago

Here's my tractor pulling duty today.

IMG_20230606_154224343_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230606_154224343_HDR (resized).jpg

#1479 10 months ago

Well, just realized it looks really tiny in that pic.

#1482 10 months ago

Right now I'm at the point where I'm just repairing where the dogs pee. I mentioned it before, but research I've done is either train them to pee on mulch or just deal with it.

#1485 10 months ago

Two labs, you don't walk them to pee. You open the sliding door to let them out and they do their business and then beg you to throw balls.

#1494 10 months ago

Looking better for sure

#1499 10 months ago

That's an immaculate resurrection.

#1502 10 months ago
Quoted from t2:

Nice work!!!
Now the trick is to keep it looking that good for the next 60 hot, humid, dry days.
Highly recommend top dressing, with a good compost, every time you aerate and over seed. Lots of work but the results and benefits are well worth it.

It's Zoysia, didn't think you use seed for that, but plugs.

#1504 10 months ago

My last house had Zoysia and it all died after lots of early summer showers on year. It happened crazy fast. Replaced with fescue, which is better for our climate anyway.

#1506 10 months ago
Quoted from t2:

That looks like a seeded yard?
It doesn't matter top dressing, adding organic matter, to your yard is one the best things for a lawn.

He had it sodded. The installer let it all sit too long.

#1512 10 months ago

What do they want you to put in instead?

#1513 10 months ago

It's funny when utilities, that are for profit companies, ask people to cut back. Yeah, they really want that.

#1516 10 months ago

thought maybe they wanted a cash crop to harvest with the symbol they used in their tweet.

What do they really care, but to look good by making the suggestion? In reallity they just raise their prices.

1 week later
#1537 9 months ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Summer lawns in Jersey, Channel Islands. UK
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You brits really know how to do a good hedge.

#1538 9 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Can anyone confirm if you can bring a small patch of grass across the border?, my gut says no.

What kind of grass?

#1544 9 months ago

Cut my grass and weed whacked for first time in a long time. Neither son wanted to get paid this time. Can't believe how soar I am.

#1554 9 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

They had a choice?!

Yes, they can earn the money or not. They all have weekly chores that are basic like unloading dishwasher, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning floors on rotation. They are required to do these and they earn some money for it. However, some jobs are extras if they want.

2 weeks later
#1566 9 months ago

A question Norm. First it looks great, but why two circle paver areas with no fire pit?

#1568 9 months ago

We have no codes here for fire pits, but knowing how much smoke is coming down from Canada right now, I can appreciate that you do. Does look pretty close to your fence.

#1569 9 months ago

I say if fire pit is no go, then the circles areas, at least one, would be perfect for a water fountain.

#1571 9 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

We have so much sun here in the summer the fire pit becomes pretty useless.
Also, the circular brick area is on a slight slope. So a fountain probably wouldn't work. I think it'll just end up being an area where we grow our produce in pots and wheeled planters.

I absolutley love by Breeo fire pit, but do not use over summer. Totally agree they are for summers. Spring and Fall they are magical.

4 weeks later
#1609 8 months ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Fresh cut.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

100 upvotes for a new fucking lawn to look at. Looks nice.

#1610 8 months ago

I done fucked up. It has been so hot outside I didn't control the crab grass in my front yard. Just did not want to be outside at all. I sprayed it all with Tenacity today, but weeks late. Now I'm going to have a half white/gray lawn until I can see this fall.

#1627 8 months ago

That mole is sold out.

#1631 8 months ago

Very interesting.

#1645 8 months ago

You need:

caddyshack-bill-murray.gifcaddyshack-bill-murray.gif

#1647 8 months ago

Both are a holes

#1660 7 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

My sump pump outlet drain is leaking , the one I fixed last year. Lame.

Great workmanship

#1663 7 months ago

I used a rubber coupler like that to fix shovel damage to a PVC sump pup pipe at the old house. Worked great. Your pipe looks thin walled and is perferated. Maybe not enough for the rubber coupler to clamp and keep tight without crushing.

#1687 7 months ago
shit-toilet.gifshit-toilet.gif
#1704 7 months ago

All I know is people that grow tomoatos in their front lawn should be tarred and feathered. Dipshit neighbor across the street had his wife and kids expand a mulch area around a tree about 15 feet to one side. Thought they were doing a garden in the front yard. Good thing they suck at it because nothing grew.

#1719 7 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Grounds getting ready for fall and winter.[quoted image]

You mean lake?

#1720 7 months ago

I believe this weekend is going to be perfect for overseeding.

#1722 7 months ago

But everyone, I mean everyone says Fall is best. I firmly believe I have best chance of new grass in the Spring.

#1726 7 months ago

I'm throwing out seed srping and fall, no matter what is better. Have had a lot better big area restoration in the Spring though. Aeration and seed at the same time is best.

#1739 7 months ago

Looks like my dogs spent a week at your house.

4 weeks later
#1746 6 months ago

Looks great orangegsx

#1756 6 months ago
Quoted from Alwayslooking:

Lawns are definitely a never ending project. This is my maintenance nightmare.
[quoted image]

Get one of those robo mowers and you are good.

#1757 6 months ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Thank you!

I was planning on putting a flag up. I am currently the only house on the block without one and I kind of like being different

That was last year, it was much easier to maneuver my honda mower going up to that stupid brick wall coming at it diagonally. This year I started using a push reel mower so it’s easier to turn around, I quit bagging too, worked out pretty good.
I did try diagonal stripes early on and didn’t really like it.
[quoted image]
A lot easier to keep straight going perpendicular
[quoted image]
I still have to finish doing the rock on my boulevard, been a busy summer!

Sucks neighbor has that wall making you need to weed whack along it.

#1761 6 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

This one?
[quoted image]

Hell yeah.

#1763 6 months ago

Wow, that's some crazy good looking grass.

#1764 6 months ago

and landscaping.

#1771 6 months ago

Leaves from trees in my backyard are coming down now.

#1773 6 months ago

Did you do your own curb?

3 weeks later
#1785 5 months ago

My back yard looks like ass again. Now, I have three labs fucking it up and new one is GD hole digger. I'm giving up.

#1788 5 months ago

Yeah, dogs are hard on yards.

1 week later
#1790 4 months ago

I'm done with messing around with the yard for the year. Now, I just want it coated in white fluff.

2 months later
#1795 84 days ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The smell of fertilizer is not far off.

You are being optimistic. Even here I have two months.

#1797 84 days ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Fuck dogs and winter.
[quoted image]

You have it good. I have three labs and I'm mud for half my backyard.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-lawn?tu=ryanstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.