Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 1 year ago

To me this product is really a great design and something that I definitely intend to try out sooner than later. Years ago I bought the original aluminum flippers that were offered by Pinball Life and they were really great. The wimpy plastic flippers we use twist and bend with a minimum of force and most of the time have breaks internally when inspected. The original Pinball Life ones worked great in fast games like AC/DC and Metallica and they definitely made my shots more accurate. Definitely. When I sold those games, I stupidly left the metal flippers in them thinking I could always buy more, but that was not the case.

A while back Pinball Life commissioned some new metal bats and I ordered some. Unfortunately the design was TERRIBLE. The bats were loose on the shafts and they were not hollowed out so they weighed way too much. Pinball Life refunded everyone who ordered and they are done. I ended up pinning my flippers to secure the shaft, so I could use them and test them out. The extra weight didn't affect the shooting of the ball at all, but it did affect the speed at which the return spring brought the flipper bat back down and caused a slight bounce at the bottom. The original metal flippers from PBL were much lighter and DID NOT DO THIS. They played just like regular flipper bats as far as return speed.

So now we come to this new product. First thing I noticed is they are nicely machined to remove any excess metal and keep the weight down. They are completely hollowed out on the bottom side and if you look they are even trimmed off on the bottom to give extra clearance on the playfield and avoid any chance of dragging. I would be buying the bushings at the same time, because the normal nylon bushings also bend a lot. So this new design passed all of my sniff tests when I first saw it and I even sent some questions to the designer which he promptly returned.

For what it is worth, I am also an engineer whose job it is to review new designs and design changes. I definitely have no connection with this company, but I do plan on purchasing these flippers for one or two of my Sterns. After testing them for a few months, I suspect that I will be purchasing them for all my newer games. As mentioned above, these games cost thousands of dollars and the part that controls the ball is a $5 piece of crappy plastic. To make the dreaded cargument, that is like having some old bias ply 78 series tires on a new Corvette.

#67 1 year ago

The "precision" to me is in the shot making...

A good solid flipper is simply more accurate. This was proven to me every time I rebuilt flippers on Monster Bash and watched the Phantom Flip make shot after shot, where the old sloppy flippers barely made one or two in a row if lucky.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I got mine in today; and I don't have to even install it to realize this product is not "precision".
    Sure; they are precision CNCed. But that's where the precision ends.

This makes no sense. This is like saying the product is painted red but its not red. Precision CNCed *is* by definition precision.

Quoted from Zitt:

These are nothing more than Aluminum Flipper bats that have been on the market before.

There have been aluminum bats on the market before, but none exactly the same. I would argue this is a better design than any of the three previous designs that I am aware of.

Quoted from Zitt:

No extra parts - nothing which makes them more accurate.

I just don't get this? Why would there be extra parts to make it more accurate? The accuracy comes from the stiffness of the bat compared to crappy plastic bats that almost always break and become even worse.

Quoted from Zitt:

You don't replace anything but the bats and shafts; so no way can this be a more precise pinball experience.

See above and attached picture...

Quoted from Zitt:

IMHO: certainly NOT worth 65/set of two.

That is personal opinion, so I won't debate that point.

Quoted from Zitt:

Edit: I did NOT order the aluminum bushing as I'm a firm believer if it ain't broke; don't fix it. Nothing wrong with the plastic bushings... and I doubt metal bushings really provide a justified benefit to the player when combined with the risk of a gummy situation when the lubed metal on metal action attracts dust from the rest of the machine.

Personally I think the bushings will be beneficial too, but not as much benefit as replacing the plastic flipper bat with aluminum.

Mine just arrived in the mail and are going into Rush some time this weekend!!
    Flipper Bat (resized).jpgFlipper Bat (resized).jpg

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Not sure why this wasn't posted earlier... slow-mo guys video from two years ago was great
    Here you can see the flipper linkage slop as the mech vibrates as the plunger hits the coil stop

Those are also, nice new solid flipper bats on a JJP machine (weak flippers). The plastic bats get old quickly on Williams and Stern games. A lot of them are not built very well. The plastic cross members under the flipper break a lot and cause the flippers to be really flexible. Also, some bats have less struts than others making them flexible right from the factory. Here are some pictures from a while back that I took of three flippers that I bought from Marcos and/or Pinball Life in the same time frame. Two are standard flippers and you can see the white is a typical poor design, the yellow has even less struts and the segmented (longer) yellow is extra reinforced and the struts go all the way to the bottom of the bat. The weaker yellow flipper can easily be bent in your hands with little pressure. It is really sad! The segmented yellow with the enhanced internal structure is hard as a rock. The white is in between on stiffness and probably represents and average flipper. Just one broken strut inside and it will be as weak as the yellow one!

So essentially, someone could make a better plastic flipper that is almost as stiff as the aluminum bats by mimicking the segmented design. Problem is still that the struts like to break. I always look into the bottom of the bats when I rebuild flippers and they are broken a surprising amount of the time.

20200426_171517 (resized).jpg20200426_171517 (resized).jpg20200426_171908 (resized).jpg20200426_171908 (resized).jpg
    #205 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

The system may be more precise, less slop. I would be curious if it really matters in a practical way. I know we have some testimony. I also know human reporting is not reliable. It would be really interesting to do some computer assisted testing to hold constant the timing variable and see what affect there is on shot accuracy vs traditional flippers. Like how many shots out of 100 are missed with each flipper type. Makes me think of the thing flipper in TAF. This isn’t a knock on the product, just an intellectual curiosity.

As I mentioned before in this thread, I have seen undeniable differences in accuracy for both the Thing flip and Monster Bash Phantom flip after rebuilding flippers. For those not familiar, these are shots made automatically by the machine with the players "hands off". The shots are calibrated in software to be more accurate. When I rebuild flippers, I do the full Monty that includes bats and bushings along with the normal rebuild parts. I have seen Monster Bash Phantom Flip go from not being able to hit the side of a barn to at least 80-90% accuracy.

Even without this previous knowledge, it is simply not an argument that taking out slop anywhere in the flipper mech will increase accuracy and repeatability. To me it is more on the skeptics to prove that it *doesn't* improve the function of the flipper instead of the other way around. (and good luck with that...)

This does bring up another point though. It would make little sense to upgrade to the metal flipper bats and bushings without also rebuilding the rest of the flipper mechs and links if they are old and worn.

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I installed the Precision Flip flippers and bushings from 1956PINHEAD over the weekend, so I don't have too many games on them yet, but man these aluminum flippers look pretty sweet on my Godzilla!
    Quality and functionality are top notch - I had to turn DOWN the flipper power a little! I like to keep my playfields cleaned and waxed and playing very fast.
    Fairly easy install and if you have ever changed flippers before you know it can be a pain to get them lined up properly. That's an added benefit of these as the flipper is separate from the shaft and alignment is adjustable from the topside.
    On a side note - I tend to play a LOT and have long games/play sessions, so I have my DIY flipper coil fans on the game as well. I'll provide more feedback as I get more time on these and I'll also post some gameplay videos on my youtube channel: "awesome1" on youtube.
    [quoted image]

Those do look perfect in Godzilla. I could leave my flipper toppers off with those in there!

#262 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Pinch bolts are often stripped. I've bought or traded for games that required the flippers to be cutout to remove the flipper mech. More than once. Sure, you may have a tool-kit full of options for allen keys. Many customers don't. The combination of cheap Stern bolts, novice customers, and cheap tools can lead to problems.
    One thing I've learned in dealing with the public. If something can be fouled up, however unlikely, somebody somewhere will find a way.

Haha I had an old 70s game once that I actually just said F it and broke out the angle grinder with cut-off wheel and threw a ten foot stream of sparks as I cut off the old flippers from below the playfield. Someone had broken off all of the set screws flush with the pawls.

1 month later
    #690 1 year ago
    20220830_231139 (resized).jpg20220830_231139 (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #2787 89 days ago

Any advice on settings for Elvira HOH? I don't see it in the database. I turned them down to 240 and that definitely doesn't seem like enough. The ball kicks back out of the front door of the house. The red ones do look great!

20240122_180325 (resized).jpg20240122_180325 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2791 80 days ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

I still want white, but these do look sharp
    Haven't played enough to dial in, but set at 195 left, 225 right for now. Need to play with the angles and power on the right a bit more though, little tough on the left spinner shot. Think it might need a little less juice to smooth it out.
    [quoted image]

Those do look nice. I've stopped using anything but real rubber on flippers, so pretty much limited to black, yellow and red.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.