(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 587 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mikeflan
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7597 (resized).jpg
IMG_7595 (resized).jpg
IMG_7616 (resized).jpg
IMG_7594 (resized).jpg
IMG_7602 (resized).jpg
IMG_7615 (resized).jpg
IMG_7614 (resized).jpg
Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 9 months ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

If you like a harder game, set dip switch #9 to ON. That means after you knock down either set of 3 drops which gives you double bonus, you need to hit both sets of 3 to get triple bonus and then again for the WOW.

Not very often I hear Stars and make it harder in the same discussion!

#502 9 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Not very often I hear Stars and make it harder in the same discussion!

Yeah, stars is hard enough as it is. Of course I also have the outlane posts removed in mine, which is kind of insane, but it's still a lot of fun. You just learn to recognize what vectors on the PF are going to head for the outlane and try not to shoot those/nudge at that moment. I also have 3 tilt warnings on mine and I forget if the stock software has a setting to just go one bank for both the double and triple but the custom software in there I have set so easier to get the bonus X. At most you're only getting 57k in bonus anyway, it's not that game breaking. One rip of a 1k spinner will get you most of the way towards that score.

Everyone seems to chase the 100k special star anyway, so I make sure I have that turned off (although I did implement it..... there's still a bug in the software I can't nail down where the 100k lights at the wrong time. Might be time for another rewrite this time into mpu200 pigs instead of the experimental stuff I have in there now)

#503 9 months ago

I may need easy setting since I just got this game

#504 9 months ago

I love chasing the 100k star!
And while I really enjoy Dick Hamill’s 2021 code, I find that I play original rules much more of the time. What would be cool though would be an old rules tweak where the drop target scoring balances out against the spinners better.
I find that people like the change in the vibe during pinball night when we play Stars, since I don’t have any EMs and it feels/sounds so different.

#505 9 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I love chasing the 100k star!
And while I really enjoy Dick Hamill’s 2021 code, I find that I play original rules much more of the time. What would be cool though would be an old rules tweak where the drop target scoring balances out against the spinners better.
I find that people like the change in the vibe during pinball night when we play Stars, since I don’t have any EMs and it feels/sounds so different.

post some old rules tweaks ideas. I need a small break from the couple of projects I'm doing, and reprogramming stars might be just the ticket. Maybe I'll even try to do it within the mpu100 framework for extra added fun. I enjoy a challenge.

#506 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

post some old rules tweaks ideas. I need a small break from the couple of projects I'm doing, and reprogramming stars might be just the ticket. Maybe I'll even try to do it within the mpu100 framework for extra added fun. I enjoy a challenge.

So I love the 100k point list roving star target, so my suggestion would be some way to make the Drops worth more (beyond bonus), and thus more incentive to go for them. Maybe something like doing them in order (honestly not sure that is even possible on this boardset) could give out good points, or lock in the left spinner value rather than it resetting? The left spinner is my favorite shot in the game. Love hitting it for 1000.

#507 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I haven't had enough time with mine to have any rules tweak suggestions, but I think a spinner rip counter sure would be fun

#508 9 months ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

I haven't had enough time with mine to have any rules tweak suggestions, but I think a spinner rip counter sure would be fun

I concur with the spinner count suggestion. Stars is pretty great just as is.

#509 9 months ago

Yep, pretty much why I never changed anything, I do like the stock ruleset. But I've implemented rules for other games by request so why not. Spinner counters is for sure a no brainer.

Anything can be added to it although some of the more sophisticated effects that the arduino setup enables would be more challenging on the original hardware (or require something like the weebly extra rom/ram - that's what I have in there experimentally right now with a williams-like language implemented)

I also have options in the code right now for people to tune things, like carry over a star(s), always light one star in particular, etc. The tilt warnings are shown visually with a GI relay I added to an unused solenoid output.

#510 9 months ago

Yes, spin counters for both spinners if possible (although just one would be great). And anything else that makes the game harder. Maybe no lit star at ball start, needing both sets of drops down for double bonus. I love the game as it is but if it can be made even harder, I’m all for it. Keeps my attention longer. Not like Stars is ever leaving here, but an even tougher gameplay would be welcomed.

#511 9 months ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Yes, spin counters for both spinners if possible (although just one would be great). And anything else that makes the game harder. Maybe no lit star at ball start, needing both sets of drops down for double bonus. I love the game as it is but if it can be made even harder, I’m all for it. Keeps my attention longer. Not like Stars is ever leaving here, but an even tougher gameplay would be welcomed.

The no lit star thing I tried and that causes a major screwup on the spinner scoring - it needs one star lit.

Of course, this can be fixed on a complete rewrite. What should the spinner score when there's no stars lit? 10? 100?

I did add a double drop needed for double on my experiment, which is why I ended up setting it to one bank each for 2x/3x instead... it was just too hard. The bonus pretty much became meaningless.

#512 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The no lit star thing I tried and that causes a major screwup on the spinner scoring - it needs one star lit.
Of course, this can be fixed on a complete rewrite. What should the spinner score when there's no stars lit? 10? 100?
I did add a double drop needed for double on my experiment, which is why I ended up setting it to one bank each for 2x/3x instead... it was just too hard. The bonus pretty much became meaningless.

So my thoughts are similar to much you have mentioned, too hard is no good. Assuming the game is set to give points (is 100k the only option) for the lit star target, then that generally is the main way to play the game.

Big points for that and lesser points for everything else. Basically the gap is too great between drops/spinners and the big points for the lit star. Spinners and drops need some oomph behind them.

So options....
Instead of the spinner counter being just a feel good number, can awards be given after a number of spins? For example, 100 spins increase two bonus lights, 150 awards additional 50k points, 250 spins awards extra ball, etc. Just throwing those put, not at all tied to the specifics.

For Drops, maybe they can award a star target for a bank completion ( maybe two if done in order).

Anyways just throwing out ideas. The game is pretty fantastic as is.

#513 9 months ago

Didn’t think about the fact that a star needs to be lit for the spinner to score points.

#514 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

@slochar, I have the Stars rev A ROMs dumped. Will email them to you in a few days. Remind me if you don't get them by the weekend.

Stars_RevA.jpgStars_RevA.jpg

#515 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

was playing stars this morning and thought it would be nice if bonus went higher than 19, and maybe an option for drop target special to light 5X bonus multiplier. not that I've ever gotten a special from the drop targets, but those two together would make it more attractive to go for.

just little tweaks.

#516 9 months ago

I thought about the 5x thing as well. As for > 19k bonus, the next 'step' up is to do the factorial bonus thing where it ramps up instead of being shown directly with a light bulb or 2 or 3. This gives you 55k with all the lamps lit. (This is the way fathom scoring works on each color). I did that in the past to Trident and believe it or not, it was terrible. Was too crazy long to count down the bonus and changed the tenor of the game too much. (The multiplier went up to 7x as well, or maybe I did 12x? Have not had the game for over a decade now so details fuzzy even though the software is still available).

I don't really think stars would need too much tweaks but these are all good ideas. We'll see how much time I think I actually have to implement any of this of course.... anything would require a minimum of jumpering the mpu board to 2x2732 for more room.

Of course, I'd add a better attract lamp show.

I've often wanted to implement the Lost Vegas rule of plunge softly, go through the spinner as your first switch, then hit <something> for increased scoring. (Within a short time period). (LV was to be a dolly parton conversion kit in case you didn't know).

With a complete rewrite, the need to have at least one star lit could be eliminated. The stock software just doesn't know what to do when there's no star lit so it just crashes.

#517 9 months ago

Slochar
If I remember correctly, there’s a switch to defeat the countdown of the bonus so that it speeds up the game. I think the bonus is awarded instantly.

#518 9 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Slochar
If I remember correctly, there’s a switch to defeat the countdown of the bonus so that it speeds up the game. I think the bonus is awarded instantly.

IIRC It counts it either one at a time for each of the 1x, 2x, 3x, or you can have it do the 3x for each count. Obviously as well anything can be changed once you're in the coding.

#519 9 months ago

Very true. Switch 22 determines countdown per the manual.

Carry on - I enjoy your posts.

#520 9 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Very true. Switch 22 determines countdown per the manual.
Carry on - I enjoy your posts.

22 on or off?

IMG_7251 (resized).pngIMG_7251 (resized).png
#522 9 months ago

set it to off. Moved games around and put my 3 sterns together. Now I need quicksilver and star gazer.

IMG_7261 (resized).jpegIMG_7261 (resized).jpegIMG_7262 (resized).jpegIMG_7262 (resized).jpegIMG_7263 (resized).jpegIMG_7263 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#523 8 months ago

I bought the Swinks drop targets (thanks Swinks!). Where can I purchase the correct star stickers for it?

#524 8 months ago
Quoted from DK:

I bought the Swinks drop targets (thanks Swinks!). Where can I purchase the correct star stickers for it?

I used these

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/13A-11D

I think it was Tractordoc making them at one point, but not currently available. The Marcos set is holding up pretty well with the Swings targets in home use play.

#525 8 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I used these
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/13A-11D
I think it was Tractordoc making them at one point, but not currently available. The Marcos set is holding up pretty well with the Swings targets in home use play.

Thank you! Ordered!

#526 8 months ago

Thanks Swinks for the awesome targets and DudeRanger for letting me know where to get the decals!

IMG_2712 (resized).jpgIMG_2712 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#527 6 months ago

Working on a Stars. I hate when owners break-down a machine and add to the damage!! Sigh, will glue the chipped off wood back into place.

Playfield looks good that's a surface "split" that isn't really deep of affecting game play. Some messy touch-up around the inserts, but not that noticeable when playing. Will be working on removing the ball swirls.

Rehabbed coin door.

Looking for parts is a real PITA, so expect me to be bugging you guys about suggestions for options on replacements.

pf1 (resized).jpgpf1 (resized).jpgpf2 (resized).jpgpf2 (resized).jpgpf3 (resized).jpgpf3 (resized).jpgpf4 (resized).jpgpf4 (resized).jpgpf5 (resized).jpgpf5 (resized).jpgpf6 (resized).jpgpf6 (resized).jpg
#528 6 months ago

I'm working on a STARS playfield and it's pretty clean outside of the yellow area near the middle/bottom (bonus) with the 1000 to 10,000 lights. While I normally don't mind wear it's somewhat annoying. I have a mimaki CJ150 at the office so I can print overlays or something close to an overlay, at the very least I know I can cover that area with the proper art. It will do the cutting for me. I was wondering if anyone had a scan of that yellow and red area to save me the time of having to render it myself.

1 week later
#529 6 months ago

I'm in. I see what others have said about this game being a "just one more game" kind of game. The cab is a little rough and has that nice, tobacco stain sides to it. Gross...looking forward to cleaning that nasty stuff off. Playfield has a little wear around the bonus insert key lines and and at some point, a flipper bushing must have failed so it has a nice flipper groove in the playfield, but other then that... its not too shabby.

20231027_163250 (resized).jpg20231027_163250 (resized).jpg
#530 5 months ago

Ok, posts for the chime unit, does the Bally rebuild kit sold by Pinball Life work?

chimerebuildkit (resized).jpgchimerebuildkit (resized).jpg
#532 5 months ago

Looking for a Stars in CO. Would prefer a bit of a project game. PM me if anyone has a lead on one. Thanks!

#533 5 months ago

What's the correct nylon flipper bushing for Stars? Pinball life only has the type 2 bushing, I need the type 1.

Thanks,

N

1 month later
#535 4 months ago

Can anyone tell me when during a Stars game does the game Knock?

I had been searching for a classic stern knocker assembly (Missing from mine) and finally found one, Installed it. Tested the knocker is operational in the solenoid test.

I would have assumed the game would give a knock when a special is achieved and that does not seem to be the case, I am yet to make a Match/Game end occur to verify if a knock happens then.

#536 4 months ago

Going by memory, it knocks on score awards. Make sure your settings are for free game, not free ball. I don’t think it knocks for a free ball.

If not rigged for free play, set first free game at 10K. It’s hard NOT to get 10K in a game. That way, you will always keep getting a free game and won’t have to dump quarters.

Let us know what you find.

#537 4 months ago

Thank you of course that makes sense.

After a bit more testing, Game Knocks;
-on match
-high score (3 knocks for 3 credits)
-Special when set for Free game - I have my 5 star special set to 100,000 points and no knock there I guess because it does not award a Replay in that setting.

Special (resized).pngSpecial (resized).png
#538 4 months ago
Quoted from cws204:

Thank you of course that makes sense.
After a bit more testing, Game Knocks;
-on match
-high score (3 knocks for 3 credits)
-Special when set for Free game - I have my 5 star special set to 100,000 points and no knock there I guess because it does not award a Replay in that setting.
[quoted image]

Special should be setting of your fourth chime which is not heard very often.

3 weeks later
#539 3 months ago

I owned a Stars as a kid and played it every morning before school. Sold it a few years later to buy other stuff.

Picked up a beater last summer and with a little elbow grease and too much money it cleaned up well! ( CPR kit is in) My first time doing powder coat. I might do another game like this but otherwise I’m liking original finish a bit better. The chrome pieces on the coin door were so beat up I had it match the door. Maybe someday I’ll find a nice chrome piece that’s original and switch it out.

I’m happy with the white displays though.

IMG_6726 (resized).jpegIMG_6726 (resized).jpeg
#540 3 months ago

That's one of the only times I've seen powder coated armor actually fit and look good on any pinball machine.

Congrats!

#541 3 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

I owned a Stars as a kid and played it every morning before school. Sold it a few years later to buy other stuff.
Picked up a beater last summer and with a little elbow grease and too much money it cleaned up well! ( CPR kit is in) My first time doing powder coat. I might do another game like this but otherwise I’m liking original finish a bit better. The chrome pieces on the coin door were so beat up I had it match the door. Maybe someday I’ll find a nice chrome piece that’s original and switch it out.
[quoted image]

Looks great! I like the white displays too. My game still has plasma, but white or maybe blue look pretty cool on Stars if I mine ever die.

#542 3 months ago

Speaking of displays, has anybody ever come up with a replacement for the smaller ones for the credit and ball in play beyond just putting the bigger ones in there. And was this a Stars only thing?

#543 3 months ago

Do you mean like these? I had one in my Stingray.

IMG_3270 (resized).jpegIMG_3270 (resized).jpeg
#544 3 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Do you mean like these? I had one in my Stingray.
[quoted image]

Yeah, those are them.

Mine still work, but I haven't seen many others like them still in existence let alone replacements for them.

#545 3 months ago

I replaced it without testing since it was clearly home to some mud daubers at some point and I have oodles of LISY displays. Not sure if I sold it in a big box of untested displays or if it’s still on the shelf at home.

#546 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's one of the only times I've seen powder coated armor actually fit and look good on any pinball machine.

Agreed! Usually I’m not a big fan of colorful powder coated trim but this looks sharp. That’s a nice shade of blue.

#547 3 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Reall nice job!
Painted the cab as well?
What color did you use for powder coating?

#548 3 months ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Reall nice job!
Painted the cab as well?

Repainted cab as well. Here’s a few “during” pictures I stole off a thread I have going for all the stuff I work on. I also color matched the standup targets for the appropriate star.

Let me see if I can find the color code for the powder coat. It’s going to be pretty close to “Ink Blue” by Rustoleum though.

IMG_6731 (resized).jpegIMG_6731 (resized).jpegIMG_6732 (resized).jpegIMG_6732 (resized).jpeg

IMG_6734 (resized).jpegIMG_6734 (resized).jpeg

IMG_6735 (resized).jpegIMG_6735 (resized).jpeg
#549 3 months ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Found it! It will likely shine more than your blue cabinet depending on the lighting (and paint) so personal preference you may want to clearcoat your cabinet after everything is done. I chose not to.

IMG_0547 (resized).jpegIMG_0547 (resized).jpeg
#550 3 months ago

I am only asking after searching, what are the correct legs for Stars?

The legs on my game are 28 & 5/8"s.
There are flat, with no ribbing and gray.

There are not flared out at the top like ever other leg I have ever seen so the game sits oddly if the the front levers are are all the way up and the rear are all the way down.

Are these the correct legs before I powder coat them?

Thanks to EJS for the motivation.

IMG_6676 (resized).jpgIMG_6676 (resized).jpgIMG_6674 (resized).jpgIMG_6674 (resized).jpgIMG_6673 (resized).jpgIMG_6673 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 587 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.