(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg
J2 (resized).png
IMG_7724 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6751 (resized).jpg
IMG_6750 (resized).jpg
IMG_6747 (resized).jpg
IMG_6673 (resized).jpg
IMG_6674 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
#101 4 years ago

This came at the perfect time as I just picked up a Stars a couple weeks back with an ugly/peeling backglass! Order already placed!

Quoted from Chalkey:

How have CPRs backglasses been holding up? I know I've seen people say plastics from them that have had a bunch of issues.

I haven't heard of these issues with the plastics before. Is it a recent issue? Every set I've received have been high quality and extra durable.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

This came at the perfect time as I just picked up a Stars a couple weeks back with an ugly/peeling backglass! Order already placed!

Post pics when you get it please! I'm super excited for it, but wont be getting mine for awhile unfortunately. Would love to see it all lit up!

#103 4 years ago

I read something at some point and know a guy who got a set about 6 months ago that were just flaking away at random spots, not where they were rubbing or getting hit or anything.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Post pics when you get it please! I'm super excited for it, but wont be getting mine for awhile unfortunately. Would love to see it all lit up!

I'll post some pics up once I get it! Do the CPR backglasses come with the trim and lift channels or do you have to move that stuff over? It's not a big deal for me as I have a brand new liftchannel and trim from Gatecrasher that I just purchased and installed. Check out the old cruddy one that was on my game. Yuck!
IMG_20191021_203934 (resized).jpgIMG_20191021_203934 (resized).jpg

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'll post some pics up once I get it! Do the CPR backglasses come with the trim and lift channels or do you have to move that stuff over? It's not a big deal for me as I have a brand new liftchannel and trim from Gatekeeper that I just purchased and installed. Check out the old cruddy one that was on my game. Yuck![quoted image]

Yeah that's bad. Pretty sure they are not supplied with the glasses. Although I'd be interested in a new metal lift channel and new trim as well. Who is this Gatekeeper you speak of?

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Yeah that's bad. Pretty sure they are not supplied with the glasses. Although I'd be interested in a new metal lift channel and new trim as well. Who is this Gatekeeper you speak of?

I misspoke. It's user Gatecrasher on Pinside. He makes awesome quality lift channels at a great price!
Pinball Parts Flyer (resized).jpgPinball Parts Flyer (resized).jpg

#107 4 years ago

No you were right it is Gatecrasher

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

No you were right it is gatecrasher

Thanks. That's what I meant but screwed it up again . Thank God it's Friday.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'll post some pics up once I get it! Do the CPR backglasses come with the trim and lift channels or do you have to move that stuff over? It's not a big deal for me as I have a brand new liftchannel and trim from Gatecrasher that I just purchased and installed. Check out the old cruddy one that was on my game. Yuck!
[quoted image]

I also ordered a lift channel. Did you get 3/16"? He seemed to think mine would have been 1/4, but that's not what my digital calipers said. I'm wondering what the CPR backglass thickness will be..

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I also ordered a lift channel. Did you get 3/16"? He seemed to think mine would have been 1/4, but that's not what my digital calipers said. I'm wondering what the CPR backglass thickness will be..

I got the 3/16ths and it's a slight bit loose if anything. 1/4 would be too big and 1/8th too small. Hopefully the CPR thickness will stay true to the original thickness.

#111 4 years ago

Did you build it up with tape or anything? I've never actually replaced one of these. Actually I think I have... but I've had a lot of beer since then.

#112 4 years ago

Did you build it up with tape or anything? I've never actually replaced one of these. Actually I think I have... but I've had a lot of beer since then.

I didn't build it up at all but it would fit perfectly if I added a strip of double-sided or electrical tape to the front of the glass to hold it on. I heard the rumors that a Stars glass was close so I didn't put anything on as a temporary measure.

#113 4 years ago

Been in the club twice, mines in the garage next to flight 2k... thinking of clearing the pf someday, is it worth the crazy speed?

#114 4 years ago

I'm wondering what the CPR backglass thickness will be..

5mm

#115 4 years ago

5mm = .19685
3/16 = .1875
1/4 = .250

So if the CPR glass is 5mm, does anyone make a 5mm lift channel? It doesn’t appear 3/16 or 1/4 will fit correctly. Or maybe they will, I haven’t purchased a CPR backglass before.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

5mm = .19685
3/16 = .1875
1/4 = .250
So if the CPR glass is 5mm, does anyone make a 5mm lift channel? It doesn’t appear 3/16 or 1/4 will fit correctly. Or maybe they will, I haven’t purchased a CPR backglass before.

3/16" should be close enough. You will probably have to build it up a little bit with tape on the front side of the backglass to make it fit snug.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have installed 9 of these CPR glasses.
For 5mm Glasses: use the 3/16" Plastic version of the Lift Channel (not the metal version) and "slightly" warm it with a heat gun or hair dryer, don't melt it, just warm up the plastic a bit and tap it right on. Do the same for the Side & Top trim.....works perfect.

#118 4 years ago

I really want a metal lift channel so it looks original. My dad and I both ordered a backglass, can't wait to see it. I will post pics when we get them. Anyone know where to find the top trim piece with the tabs?

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Been in the club twice, mines in the garage next to flight 2k... thinking of clearing the pf someday, is it worth the crazy speed?

It’s pretty wicked as it is but clearing it sounds fun!

#120 4 years ago

Delivered a nice stars to a customer tonight

FEDDAFA0-FFA7-4C89-A316-86973DBB5424 (resized).jpegFEDDAFA0-FFA7-4C89-A316-86973DBB5424 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#121 4 years ago

Just picked a Stars up last night! Very happy!

IMG_20191129_163213_130 (resized).jpgIMG_20191129_163213_130 (resized).jpg
#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Just picked a Stars up last night! Very happy![quoted image]

Congrats! Nice to see another one in Wisconsin.

#123 4 years ago

I picked this one up on thanksgiving

D8F10DB0-542F-4D13-8F0F-186894CFCB6B (resized).pngD8F10DB0-542F-4D13-8F0F-186894CFCB6B (resized).png
1 week later
#124 4 years ago

Hey Guys! I joined the club last weekend with a project Stars. This is my first Stern from this era so I will be learning as I go. The MPU board was fried so I have one on the way from Alltek. I am looking over the Solenoid driver board and it is missing some transistors but other than that it looks okay. I have parts on the way and will replace the capacitors at the same time. When I removed the board it had a ground wire attached to CR20. Is that common for this board? I could not find it on the schematic.
Also any suggestion on getting the grime off the playfield? I tried Novus 1 and 2 but nothing is budging it. Not sure how harsh of chemical I ango on a play field of this era. Thanks!

IMG_8932 (resized).jpgIMG_8932 (resized).jpgIMG_8933 (resized).jpgIMG_8933 (resized).jpgIMG_8931 (resized).jpgIMG_8931 (resized).jpg
#125 4 years ago

I am a new member as well! I am bringing this one back from the dead. A new MPU and it is starting up! I have to replace a bunch of lamp sockets and I should probably re-pin some connectors, but it is going to be up and running by this weekend! The PF is pretty nice, but the inserts have some cupping. I plan to just wax and play, but will keep an eye on the play field for wear.

The backglass has some peeling near the a couple score displays and someone put some duct tape on the cabinet so I have to figure out how to clean that off.

I can't wait to get this one playing!

2 weeks later
#127 4 years ago

Look what I got for Christmas! The new cpr STARS backglass!

It's pretty darn nice, but there's a couple things I feel should be pointed out...

Yes it is thinner than the original. I reused the channelling but had to add a layer on the glass to make them fit snuggly.

I also had to upgrade the backbox LEDs to comet 2smds, just too dark otherwise. Went with warm whites which helped the colors pop. Both natural and sunlight looked washed out. I did use natural behind the hidden lettering areas and blinkers for current player numbering.

A couple of the colors do seem a bit off to me. Especially noticable in the 'red' used around STARS and the score windows. It appears a lot more pinkish when compared to both of my originals.

My biggest disappointment though is the starship's colorful trail. Definitely not as clean looking as the original. Not sure if it's a printing or artwork issue. Anyone else have another new one to compare with?

Either way, the new backglass looks a whole lot better than my second original which it will be replacing during my restore.

Original backglass is pictured 1st and on the right for comparisons. Plus one with the new glass all lit up. Last is a couple pics of the backglass the new one will be replacing.

20200102_093424 (resized).jpg20200102_093424 (resized).jpg20191229_164049 (resized).jpg20191229_164049 (resized).jpg20191229_164412 (resized).jpg20191229_164412 (resized).jpg20191229_164425 (resized).jpg20191229_164425 (resized).jpg20200102_093555 (resized).jpg20200102_093555 (resized).jpg20200102_093441 (resized).jpg20200102_093441 (resized).jpg20191229_231627 (resized).jpg20191229_231627 (resized).jpg20200102_104136 (resized).jpg20200102_104136 (resized).jpg20200102_103955 (resized).jpg20200102_103955 (resized).jpg
#128 4 years ago

Looks beautiful, don’t get me wrong, but it looks like the original has thicker yellow, like in the word STARS. But again, it’s a beautiful glass.

#129 4 years ago

It is really nice, agreed. And it's available too.
The artwork on the lettering looks pretty close. I think it's that pink and darker orange that throw it off. Definitely looks better lit up.
The mirroring looks great too.

20200102_120638 (resized).jpg20200102_120638 (resized).jpg20200102_120348 (resized).jpg20200102_120348 (resized).jpg20200102_121355 (resized).jpg20200102_121355 (resized).jpg
#130 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

It is really nice, agreed. And it's available too.
The artwork on the lettering looks pretty close. I think it's that pink and darker orange that throw it off. Definitely looks better lit up.
The mirroring looks great too.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't know. I also picked up a CPR repo, and there is some difference, but not enough to lose a wink of sleep over.

#132 4 years ago

I’m looking for a nice condition Stars. Doesn’t have to be working; just aesthetically nice. I’ll pay a fair price and donate to pinside. Thanks!

4 weeks later
#133 4 years ago

Been working on putting my Stars back together. I've was dragging my feet for a while on doing it, so trying to do a little bit every night; even if it's just doing 10 minutes of work on something. Got the drop target banks put together. Pretty happy with how everything is working out so far.

The next big (hopefully last) hurdle is painting and reattaching the playfield wood rails. I think once those are on, the rest should be fairly easy.

IMG_20200131_171728 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_171728 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_171745 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_171745 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_171808 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_171808 (resized).jpg
#134 4 years ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

Been working on putting my Stars back together. I've was dragging my feet for a while on doing it, so trying to do a little bit every night; even if it's just doing 10 minutes of work on something. Got the drop target banks put together. Pretty happy with how everything is working out so far.
The next big (hopefully last) hurdle is painting and reattaching the playfield wood rails. I think once those are on, the rest should be fairly easy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

HOTTT

#135 4 years ago

Nice!

Stars is the best game ever and you rarely see them get the full restoration treatment.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Nice!
Stars is the best game ever and you rarely see them get the full restoration treatment.

Someone sell me one with a nice playfield and I’ll take that bet!

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

The next big (hopefully last) hurdle is painting and reattaching the playfield wood rails. I think once those are on, the rest should be fairly easy.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job, its looking great. Would you mind sharing what brand of paint and colors you used?

#138 4 years ago

Does anyone know of a hi-res scan of the Stars playfield? If it is made available to me, I will create a vector graphic to be used for repair and make that available to anyone who needs it. Someone could then have a custom hardtop made for him/herself or create decals as needed.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Nice job, its looking great. Would you mind sharing what brand of paint and colors you used?

This is what I used. I think we went through 3 cans of blue, 2 white and 1 red? I bought 2 of each to be safe, and I'm fairly sure I bought more blue. I still have a full red leftover.

IMG_20200208_155205 (resized).jpgIMG_20200208_155205 (resized).jpg
#140 4 years ago
Quoted from pavel_one:

Does anyone know of a hi-res scan of the Stars playfield? If it is made available to me, I will create a vector graphic to be used for repair and make that available to anyone who needs it. Someone could then have a custom hardtop made for him/herself or create decals as needed.

If it doesn't exist, I could get one. I haven't started reassembly on my playfield yet, so it's fully stripped. Neo fixed and cleared it, and I have a scanner. Just let me know, I don't mind doing it if needed.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

If it doesn't exist, I could get one. I haven't started reassembly on my playfield yet, so it's fully stripped. Neo fixed and cleared it, and I have a scanner. Just let me know, I don't mind doing it if needed.

if more people scanned playfields when the time was right there would be a whole bunch of resources available, I say do it. and Thanks

#142 4 years ago

Scanning stuff is super easy when it's already torn apart and available, lol.

Playfield scans located here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x7jam91bOeGHctZYC7Wn1b7qJ6kwdaNL?usp=sharing

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from pavel_one:

I have a NOS Stars playfield but no way to scan it.

#144 4 years ago

Let’s see some pics of that beauty!

#145 4 years ago

chooch call around sign / print / graphic design shop in your area. Somebody should be able to do a high res scan of your unobtainium piece of art history. If your location was under your avatar I would have called around for you.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I have a NOS Stars playfield but no way to scan it.

I will gladly pay for the scan. It should cost $100 or less. If you can't find or don't want to find a place to scan the playfield, give your location, and I'll find a place!

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

Scanning stuff is super easy when it's already torn apart and available, lol.
Playfield scans located here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x7jam91bOeGHctZYC7Wn1b7qJ6kwdaNL?usp=sharing

I can't thank you enough. Great scans!

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Let’s see some pics of that beauty!

I have it stored away in a crate but happen to have one pic from beforehand. It's not high resolution and the next time I have the PF out I'll take some new pics. My plan is to use the PF I just need to find a machine first. I though I would have found one by now but I always seem to miss out. I came very close to getting one a few weeks ago but as usual I was "second in line" and luck wasn't on my side. Since the PF is old I'll likely have to get it leveled and cleared before I use it.
Stars PF.jpgStars PF.jpg

#149 4 years ago

Chalkey pavel_one I'm in Western PA and am sure there are some places that might be able to do it. I think I pass a sign/print store on my way to work and will get their name tomorrow. Is the scan typically just 1 large file or multiple smaller files? I figured to make an overlay you want a single file however I imagine there is software that can stitch together multiple images to make single image as well.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

chalkey pavel_one I'm in Western PA and am sure there are some places that might be able to do it. I think I pass a sign/print store on my way to work and will get their name tomorrow. Is the scan typically just 1 large file or multiple smaller files? I figured to make an overlay you want a single file however I imagine there is software that can stitch together multiple images to make single image as well.

It's called large format scanning, but is often called fine art scanning. A commonly used scanner is the Cruse ST. Many large cities have conservatories that offer this scanning for a fee. Also, a ANSI E size flatbed will do a playfield. Obviously, a paper scanner will not do.

The scanner will create one, very large file. 300DPI minimum lossless compressed. They will usually give the file on a DVD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.