(Topic ID: 220286)

Reach for the Stars!.. Stern Stars club.. Space travelers welcome.

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern Stars missing part (resized).jpg
20240320_182025 (resized).jpg
IMG_3436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240305-125639 (resized).png
IMG_20240303_111125468 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111118955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111050912 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240303_111056714 (resized).jpg
J2 (resized).png
IMG_7724 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6751 (resized).jpg
IMG_6750 (resized).jpg
IMG_6747 (resized).jpg
IMG_6673 (resized).jpg
IMG_6674 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Playfield Parts and Rubbers Map Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #98 CPR Mirrored Backglass Posted by PinZig (4 years ago)

Post #131 Coil Stop - #6 Holes Posted by TKDalumni (4 years ago)

Post #155 Full Playfield Reference Scan - Low Resolution Posted by pavel_one (4 years ago)

Post #164 Swinks Drop Target Replacements Posted by o-din (4 years ago)

Post #173 Pantone Playfield colours Posted by A_Bord (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

The question is often raised- what if you could have only one game in your collection.. I believe Stars would fit the bill. Fortunately it hasn't come to the yet...
DSCN5911 (resized).JPGDSCN5911 (resized).JPG
DSCN5912 (resized).JPGDSCN5912 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Another one I'm working on.

Perhaps the greatest cabinet repaint of all time!

DSCN5915 (resized).JPGDSCN5915 (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago

Thanks!

First I was surprised there wasn't already a club. I did search.

Second, it was starting to seem like I was the only member. Story of my life. Start a cool club and none of the other kid's mommys would let them join!

#6 5 years ago

SK-4 if you want to include his work while at Gottlieb.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=Steve%20Kirk

2 months later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from chiefbrody:

does anyone in this prestigious club know what the the little doohicky is called in the shooter lane that keeps the ball from coming back down the lane that is positioned just outboard of the right side spinner?

I must have been on sabbatical when you first posted this, or might have got it to you much sooner.

Anyway, glad to get word that the one I sent you made it safe and sound.

1 week later
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

It’s set to free play though and in the few seconds I looked at it nothing stood out. Will resolve that later.

The only way it's set to free play is if it has an aftermarket board like an Altek I believe. Easy dipswitch setting to take it off free play.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yup, otherwise you just set the replay as low as you can.

Or go the old fashioned method and drop quarters in it.

On mine, somebody added a little red button on one of the plastic 25 cent things that does the same thing. It's going away though.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No- an alltek will NOT do free play on old sterns. Low replay only option or install a doorbell.

I was wondering how long the original Stars super promoter would take to get here! Welcome!

I think though the Altek I recently put in my Stars does actually do free play. At least I think it does.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Nope, Alltek free play is only for the Bally games.

Then how come I haven't had to add any credits to my Stars since I put that board in a month ago, you button pushing cowboy?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't understand this myself.

To help understand, when Nimble comes over, he instantly maxes out the credits on any game I have that's easily accessible to do so. No wonder I didn't realize it wasn't on free play without looking at it a little closer. I'll leave that button on there for now.

I'm not that great as high score isn't lingering very high, but it pleases me to no end watching my kid try to beat it.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Yes, I did dern pushem ‘dem buttuns on dat dern Stdars.

Galaxy was not immune either. I didn't take any pics the short time I had it, but it sure was lovely.

1 year later
#164 4 years ago
Quoted from cb1234:

-Cleaning the playfield. I’ve seen just about every answer out there, from Novus to Naphtha to other things. Seems everyone has a different opinion. My question – what should I use? The playfield is original, and a bit worn (some exposed wood especially near the bonus lights where paint faded).

Stars came with a super tough topcoat, so I gave mine the alcohol and magic eraser treatment to take out the dirt and ball swirls, then novus 2 to polish it and then Blitz wax.

Aftermarket drop targets that have been available suck as they should not have the hood and they are too flexible.

However Swinks has come up with an alternative and decals are available.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/32ZWWGUAM/classic-stern-upgraded-drop-target-13a-11-rib

If you have lights that don't work in the GI they are usually the sockets, which can sometimes be cleaned or manipulated to work or just replaced, controlled lamps for inserts are usually a trasistor on the lamp board.

2 weeks later
#175 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s everyone’s preferred setting for the 100k roaming shot after all stars are collected?
I have my game set to award 100k as many times as you can hit the shot.

Mine is set to award a Special (replay), as in factory setting and what it says on the playfield for that roaming shot.

3 years later
#540 3 months ago

That's one of the only times I've seen powder coated armor actually fit and look good on any pinball machine.

Congrats!

#542 3 months ago

Speaking of displays, has anybody ever come up with a replacement for the smaller ones for the credit and ball in play beyond just putting the bigger ones in there. And was this a Stars only thing?

#544 3 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Do you mean like these? I had one in my Stingray.
[quoted image]

Yeah, those are them.

Mine still work, but I haven't seen many others like them still in existence let alone replacements for them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.