Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

Who here is going to PAPA?

If you preregistered, what is your registration number?

trying to decide if I can swing the trip this year...

#2 10 years ago

I'll be there.

I preregistered, but I don't want to give out my number because pinball identify theft is a tragic reality that happens every day.

OK, I'm 244. I think I was 201 last year, and that number was unbelievably unlucky.

#3 10 years ago

Wish I could go but to expensive a trip at this time.
    I will have to enjoy via the PAPA TV again.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Wish I could go but to expensive a trip at this time.
    I will have to enjoy via the PAPA TV again.

PAPA TV should be awesome this year.

#5 10 years ago

I'll be there but I don't compete. I live close enough that I just go for 1 night then most of the following day. Yet still more games there than I could ever get around to playing, so I keep pretty busy.

#6 10 years ago

hell yea!

#7 10 years ago

Yes indeed...#200something

#8 10 years ago

Nope. So it's safe for you to go.

#9 10 years ago

I will be going..is there a list of registered players anywhere?

#10 10 years ago

I'll be going once again to partake in the Carnegie greatness.

#11 10 years ago

I will be in attendance. My first.

#12 10 years ago

This will be my first also, my # is in the 130s

#13 10 years ago

why does a players number matter? will a certain number convince you to go scott? you are very silly...lol...... yes, the cool michigan people go scott, so just go for crying out loud!

#14 10 years ago

Yep going for my 3rd year! Hopefully I can do better this year! My # is 155 hubbys is 156.
    See ya there Scott!

Phoebe

#15 10 years ago

First PAPA for me!

#16 10 years ago

Flights are booked, can't wait!

#17 10 years ago

I should be there, I will register at the door.

#18 10 years ago

Were registered

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I should be there, I will register at the door.

If you're going, I recommend pre-registering (if you want a t-shirt; they are definitely cool). Pre-reg saves a few dollars and gets you a goody bag, which are usually pretty nice.

#20 10 years ago

I'm going. I'm #200 something. I love me some PAPA. Best swag ever. I wonder what the shirts are going to look like this year.

#21 10 years ago

I'm number 111. Can't wait to go, haven't been before. Going to try to qualify for C division.

#22 10 years ago

#186. One Week!

#23 10 years ago

Nope

#24 10 years ago

Wish I was going but there is always PAPA 17.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Wish I was going but there is always PAPA 17.

or PAPA 18.

#26 10 years ago

I will be going for the first time, but not competing. I went to college in Pittsburgh, so I am looking forward to getting up with some old friends also while I'm there.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

If you're going, I recommend pre-registering (if you want a t-shirt; they are definitely cool). Pre-reg saves a few dollars and gets you a goody bag, which are usually pretty nice.

I think it only saves $5
    I've pre-reg'd before, just to get a shirt that I will never wear because the printing was like a bulletproof patch, just to make you sweat in that spot.
    The bags they gave away were pretty cool, but have gotten a little cheaper over the years.
    I might think about it tho, Pair networks notepads rule!

Let the PAPA begin!

#29 10 years ago

wouldn't miss it - hands down one of the most amazing collections of pinball under one roof.

#30 10 years ago

I'll be there Thursday evening through Sunday. Trying B division and Classics this year.

#31 10 years ago

#212 here as I wasn't sure work would allow me the time off. I usually register early for the cool low number.

#32 10 years ago

I will be there each evening... and into the wee hours of each morning. I probably spend as much time in the parking lot as I do inside playing games. I'll be throwing up a handful of entries in B division.

Brian

#33 10 years ago

I will be there, staying a WEEK. Arrive tuesday and leave the next... hoping to bring a female who is into pinball.
    Trent... where ever you are, I am looking for you lol..

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I will be there each evening... and into the wee hours of each morning. I probably spend as much time in the parking lot as I do inside playing games. I'll be throwing up a handful of entries in B division.
    Brian

are you my twin? thats my plan too!

#35 10 years ago

Oops

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

are you my twin? thats my plan too!

Maybe I'll see you on the battlefield. I'm Brian Stahl. Yes... THE Brian Stahl.

Parking lot pinsiders unite!

#37 10 years ago

Can anyone verify if wppr points are rewarded for "b" & "c" divisions? Looked at last years results and it showed 0.00 points for thoose divisions

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

Can anyone verify if wppr points are rewarded for "b" & "c" divisions? Looked at last years results and it showed 0.00 points for thoose divisions

That's my understanding. WPPR only for A division.

#39 10 years ago

In! First timer!

#40 10 years ago

Sadly, I'll be missing PAPA for the 1st time in 5 years. I qualified 13th and 6th in B div. the last 2 years so I'm opening up a spot for somebody to get in.

#41 10 years ago

I will be working it =D

#42 10 years ago

Yes only get the WhoPPeR points for playing in the "A" division since it is open to all to partake in.

You can also get points by playing in a Classics tourney on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. (A separate tourney each day with different machines)

#43 10 years ago

So can i play a single game in A division just to at least get some ifpa points? Seems really odd to not get any points for playing C division which is where i belong... Just another example of how the competitive pinball stuff is like a good old boys club intended and stacked for only a few.

Am i supposed to stuff the prize pool for A class where i have zero chance of actually competing? Note i actually have zero chance of competing in C...

#44 10 years ago

The last dozen or so "A" division finishers in 2012 got less than 1 WPPR point for "Just" playing in "A" at PAPA. IMHO participating in PAPA "A" Division just to get points is throwing away your registration fee and your entry fee unless you are a "A" player.

Your chances in Classics are way better if you desire Wppr points for the normal player and hobbyist.

Here are the Final WPPR points for PAPA "A" in 2012 to give you an idea on what it takes to get some points in "A" division.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1&e=1&d=2012-08-12#results

#45 10 years ago

Also, keep in mind that if you play an entry in A div, you will not be allowed to compete in b or C. And any entries you had in C will be voided.

#46 10 years ago

Ill be going for the first time. #317. If anyone wants to check out a pirates or Indians game while you're out there let me know, ill most likely be going to a game or two in between my entry attempts. Not sure if I'm going to division b or c.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Also, keep in mind that if you play an entry in A div, you will not be allowed to compete in b or C. And any entries you had in C will be voided.

Thanks for the info, being a first timer.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

So can i play a single game in A division just to at least get some ifpa points? Seems really odd to not get any points for playing C division which is where i belong... Just another example of how the competitive pinball stuff is like a good old boys club intended and stacked for only a few.
    Am i supposed to stuff the prize pool for A class where i have zero chance of actually competing? Note i actually have zero chance of competing in C...

Why so cynical? If you "belong" in C, why worry about WPPRs anyway?

Competitive pinball is not "stacked". Everyone has the same chance at PAPA. The divisions keep less-experienced players from facing the top guys. Play in "C" for a year or two, then B, then work your way up to "A". No one really shows up at their first PAPA and blows up the "A" division winning a bunch of WPPRs and cash. Put the effort in and work your way up to it rather than criticizing it.

If you want WPPRs, try local / regional tournaments too....not just the world pinball championship.

#49 10 years ago

Cynical and critical are very different things.

Got to start somewhere. The only way to move up in wppr is to accrue points. As usual with these sorts of events the point accrual is favored towards the top players.

Why not at least award some points to those playing in B or C? Why not lump everyone into the points...so the 1st in b comes just after the last in A?

What is the logic? Serious questions

#50 10 years ago

I'm also curious as to why no points for B and C divs.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-16-are-you-going/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.