Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 10 years ago

The logic is, that IFPA only grand points in tournements that are open for everybody. It is that simple.

Winning PAPA B is a huge achievment. And for that you are celebrated. There are not any IFPA points. And so what.

#52 10 years ago

All of PAPA is open per say. Players then decide what division they are to play in. Seems like it still fits the ifpa rules if they wanted to award points to everyone.
    there is a obvious benefit to all A players to not pull in all the other B and C players as the points do not get divided out as much, correct?

#53 10 years ago

It wouldn't be right for the winner of B division to take more (if any) points than 2nd place in A. The person who got 2nd in A should be the better player and thus earn more. For that matter, any player in top 16 of A is likely better than any in the top 16 of B. I don't worry too much about ifpa points anyway. If you really want them, just play in every 'joes bar' local tournament and you'll get more than winning one big tournament.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

All of PAPA is open per say.

Not true.

http://papa.org/papa16/rules.php#II
    See "Skill Division Restrictions". A lot of top players would be restricted from playing in B (or C), as they should be.

#55 10 years ago

Only PAPA A and Classics are worth IFPA ranking points because they are open to anyone to play in. B and C, by design, are not open to everyone to compete. Same reason why nothing is given to a seniors, womens or kids tournaments as well.

Several alternatives were talked about, but nothing works out fair to everyone. For example putting the results in one big list -- ala Pinburgh -- wasn't fair, because we knew that people in B or C would jump to A division at the last second to try to "steal" from those who finished high in B. In fact, we've already seen this in years past as players give up a lower division and go to A because they will at least get a point or two.

As others are saying, enjoy PAPA for what it's about and forget about earning IFPA rankings. PAPA is stressful enough without worrying about chasing points

#56 10 years ago

Most tournaments grant points in "A" & "B" &"C" Divisions. The person that posted that points are only for divisions that are open for everyone is partially incorrect.

Tournaments that start off qualifying and then seperate into classes based on standings award points in all classes.

The reason some "A" players can't play can't play in "B" is to eliminate sandbagging and also allow other players to have a shot at achieving something. If your good enough you'll be forced up eventually.

Im not sure what the reasons are that this particular tourney doesn't award points for other classes.
    Perhaps its because its a "triple-crown event"!

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It wouldn't be right for the winner of B division to take more (if any) points than 2nd place in A.

I agree. What i was suggesting is to give out points like this...

1-xxx in A
    Followed by
    1-xxx in B
    Followed by
    1-xxx in C

1st in C should get fewer points than last in B.

That would allow everyone in B and C to at least get some points. I personally find that to be a great way to get more of the lower rank players more interested in ifpa points.

#58 10 years ago

Per our official rules:

"The IFPA only recognizes open divisions of play to be included in the World Pinball Player Rankings. If certain players are prohibited from playing based on age, gender, skill or personal reasons, those results will not be counted. This includes B-divisions, Novice divisions, Women’s divisions, etc."

The only time B or C division results are counted for WPPR points is when the tournament/league assigns the division of play (Pinburgh, or our Chicago League for example). When it is 'player choice', and certain players are not allowed to CHOOSE a division to participate in, based on the restrictions listed above, then that tournament is not eligible for WPPR's.

Seniors/Juniors at PAPA are not eligible because of the age restriction, and B/C Divisions are not eligible because of the skill restriction. Section II, Paragraph 2 of the PAPA 16 rules explicitly outlines what those restrictions are.

If there are other results where lower divisions of play are chosen ahead of time by players, that are included in the World Pinball Player Rankings . . . it's a mistake

Like Zaxxis said, there's simply no fair way to include the B/C results and have it fair for everyone. Stacking them one on top of eachother, and I can sign my 2 year old son up for A, and he'll finish in 70th out of the 350-400 players just for paying his $20. Treating B as their own tournament, and it's unfair for players that aren't allowed to participate in B, even if they want to.

Josh Sharpe

#59 10 years ago

Thanks josh. Makes sense. I did not realize i was being placed in a division and thought it was all by choice. I better go read the rules more closely... My first papa

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks josh. Makes sense. I did not realize i was being placed in a division and thought it was all by choice.

It is choice for you, if you are not A-restricted, and it doesn't sound like you are.
    WPPR points at papa are very hard-earned.(Classics or A-div.)
    They are not just given to top players, why should they be given to those that choose to avoid the best players there?

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

They are not just given to top players, why should they be given to those that choose to avoid the best players there?

Just to be clear, i am not choosing to "avoid" the top players but rather choosing to hopefully have some fun and a chance to compete with similarly skilled players.

#62 10 years ago

Yep it gets confusing but makes since. Because you can compete in a regular tourney, for instance: (Louisville) and they take the top 16 as (A) and the next 16 as (B) and they all get points. But the points are considerably less.

Also you could finish 21 and still be the top (B) seed. Because players 17-20 are (A) players and can't compete. Either because of previous finishes or current world ranking.

If any of this is incorrect please correct.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just to be clear, i am not choosing to "avoid" the top players but rather choosing to hopefully have some fun and a chance to compete with similarly skilled players.

Exactly, if WPPR is what you care about, then play in A.
    WPPR can also be earned in Classics I, II and III, which you are eligible to enter.

Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were pinball legends.
    If you want to compete with the best in the world, you will have to put in your time like everyone else.
    Improve your game over time (years, decades?), beat the competition at your current level, and move on up. Easy as pie!

Well maybe not the easy part.
    I found my competition in B at Pinburgh to be fierce.
    As more people are exposed to competitive pinball, it's only going to get tougher.

Good luck and get practicing!

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadNC:

Yep it gets confusing but makes since. Because you can compete in a regular tourney, for instance: (Louisville) and they take the top 16 as (A) and the next 16 as (B) and they all get points. But the points are considerably less.

Also you could finish 21 and still be the top (B) seed. Because players 17-20 are (A) players and can't compete. Either because of previous finishes or current world ranking.

If any of this is incorrect please correct.

This is 'mostly correct'. For IFPA purposes all players are ranked based on their performance in the overall standings. Many tournaments have a B division where only a certain subgroup of players are eligible to compete (for example if Keith Elwin were to finish 17th, he would be passed over as ineligible for the B subgroup).

In that case, Keith would still be listed as the 17th place finisher. None of the B division playoffs would have an impact on the overall standings for IFPA, because that B division excludes players based on a skill restriction (Keith being too highly ranked). All of the players that ultimately qualify for the B division will receive WPPR points, but it would be based on the final standings with ALL players included.

Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify better.

Thanks,
    Josh

#65 10 years ago

Thx for taking time to explain..

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Cynical and critical are very different things.
    Got to start somewhere. The only way to move up in wppr is to accrue points. As usual with these sorts of events the point accrual is favored towards the top players.
    Why not at least award some points to those playing in B or C? Why not lump everyone into the points...so the 1st in b comes just after the last in A?
    What is the logic? Serious questions

Please know that these are decisions being made independent of the PAPA organizers. Don't ask these questions to the people who run PAPA, ask these questions to the people who run IFPA. Their answer is that only tournaments or divisions where any player may compete are eligible for ranking points.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Please know that these are decisions being made independent of the PAPA organizers. Don't ask these questions to the people who run PAPA, ask these questions to the people who run IFPA. Their answer is that only tournaments or divisions where any player may compete are eligible for ranking points.

Luckily the IFPA and PAPA staff work together so well, that people from both organizations can easily answer many of the standard IFPA-centric or PAPA-centric questions. I know I've answered plenty of PAPA related questions over the years

#68 10 years ago

I fully respect IFPA and I will not claim to be any wiser on how to run a sports ranking. I have on several occations celebrated IFPA for having such a simple and internationally open system. It is brilliant.

But I think there is a middle way for granting points for B and C divisions at PAPA that would be fair for everybody and right in the spirit of recognising great performance in competitive pinball. One could suggest that the result of being, say, 25 in A is equal to a B win. And then have a similar points distribution within B with that basis. Same for C in relation to B.

That would require that PAPA is granted an exception with IFPA ruling. And that is a whole other discussion that might have disadvantages for IFPA as a whole that makes it unwise. But PAPA, along with EPC and World championship is already granted a special status. So maybe.

Just my thoughts.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

But I think there is a middle way for granting points for B and C divisions at PAPA that would be fair for everybody and right in the spirit of recognising great performance in competitive pinball. One could suggest that the result of being, say, 25 in A is equal to a B win. And then have a similar points distribution within B with that basis. Same for C in relation to B.

Over the years we've had many people try and solve for "X":

"1st place in B = Xth place in A"

It also seems like this topic gets asked the weekend before PAPA every single year

Giving 25 points to the B winner is roughly saying that B champion is equal to ~12th/13th place in A division. I can tell you as a former PAPA C player myself, and B player back in the day, and now A player . . . 12th/13th place in A is insanely more challenging than winning B division. 33 players in the A division were ranked higher than the highest ranked B division competitor last year.

With PAPA results being an integral part of the qualifying system we use to select players for the IFPA World Pinball Championship each and every year, the ability for any players to gain WPPR points by choosing to enter a lower division that is handicapped by a skill restriction doesn't sit well with me at all. It would then be possible for someone's PAPA B division performance to make them an IFPA11 qualifier, while a player that is forced to play PAPA A, even if they don't want to, loses the ability to choose to go after B-division WPPR points.

If all divisions were played on the same games, and those scores were able to be compared, then perhaps there would be a better way to come up with something. Right now B-division is really a completely different tournament altogether compared to A-division. Different qualifying machines, different setups, different finals machines, and a field that is limited based on certain skill restrictions.

Granting some sort of exception for a non-open tournament, even if it happens to be part of one of the sports biggest open tournaments isn't something we want to do. The reason that PAPA, EPC and IFPA are special in terms of having higher base values is the fact that are the 'majors' of our sport, and the most prestigious events to win. Next year Pinburgh will be included on that list, making it a 'Grand Slam' of majors each and every year.

We do appreciate the interest in players looking to accumulate WPPR's, and PAPA still gives plenty of opportunities to do that. Besides the Classics divisions this year, I believe there is also a Wizard of Oz Launch Party tournament.

Josh

#70 10 years ago

Details on the woz party please

#71 10 years ago

I would love it if someone would magically devise a way to earn WPPR in B and C divisions. A nice thing about the rankings points is not leaving a tournament empty-handed. It gives you something tangible to take with you. Even if it is 0.32 points or so.

Last year was my first PAPA and I was protesting the exclusion of B and C. I even went so far as to enter A division to claim the points. It was completely humiliating as I of course was pounded ( but at least not last ). Anyway, Although I am still lamenting the exclusion, I have resigned myself to it and will be competing in C division. That is, after I have worn myself out competing in the Classics division as darn it, I want those points!!

#72 10 years ago

so is 1 game played in classics enough to earn me some points?

It would be nice to walk away with something point wise, but I do not see actually trying to compete in classics since I do not care for many older games.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so is 1 game played in classics enough to earn me some points?
    It would be nice to walk away with something point wise, but I do not see actually trying to compete in classics since I do not care for many older games.

One entry in Classics is a 4-game ticket. You play one game on 4 different machines in the classics bank. Finishing in the bottom half of the field will earn you less than one wppr point. Bottom 1/4 of the field will get you 0.3 points or so.

PAPA world championships is probably not your best choice for chasing WPPRs. But, you take with you the experience competing, play a bunch of games you haven't before, meet many pinball enthusiasts, watch some of the top players on the monitors, etc...and if you happen upon a wppr or two, all the better.

If you're really after wppr points, check out ifpa's calendar of events....there's something somewhere every weekend and the points are a lot easier to come by than at PAPA.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Details on the woz party please

I believe Joe Newhart from Pinball Star Amusements is going to have a WOZ set up at PAPA, and will be running a tournament on it with the proceeds going to charity. I don't have any more detailed info, but hopefully Joe can chime in if he sees this thread.

Josh

#75 10 years ago

There are lots of tournaments all over the country that give WPPR points, having no points given for C and B division at PAPA is fine by me, anything that discourages sandbagging.

#76 10 years ago

I'll be there. Look for the only dude in the Burgh with an Orioles hat. I'd wear Ravens stuff but I'm not licensed to carry in PA, so screw that.

Just pre registered, so I don't know what my number is. Playing in B division.

-Mike

#77 10 years ago

I'm planning on driving out. It is only about 2.5 hours for me. I'm not playing in the tourney, but rather just coming out just to play a bunch of pins. My nephew is kind of into it some since I've gotten a couple of pins....so seeing 200+ pins will really blow his mind.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Wish I was going but there is always PAPA 17.

Carpool??

#79 10 years ago

what is the typical strategy and dollars that a noob C division player can expect to spend each day?

I was kind of figuring I would play each game in the bank of C games once on the first day, maybe play in a classic event one of the days, and spend most of my time just playing the non-competition games. I would then go back and replay each game in the bank of C games as needed to try and up my score/ if it looks liek I even have a chance.

Am I way off base with this strategy? It is not exactly clear to me how the algorithim works but as I understand it, playing each game a ton of times till you get a good high score is a poor strategy since you are only rewarded for consistent good play at PAPA. Can someone help me out with a good strategy/ some info for a PAPA noob?

#80 10 years ago

You are 100% off base.

Each entry is a separate entity of itself.

This isn't pump and dump you can't just "up your worst scores"

You buy an entry and walk up to your bank of games, you pick 5 games to play, how well you do on each game is ranked against all other scores (including your own) and given a point total.

You then add up the value of points from all 5 games and you get your ranking.

There is no way to improve that score by playing again, it is locked in, if that entry didn't get you high enough to qualify, you have to buy another and try again.

Hopefully that makes more sense

Quoted from Whysnow:

what is the typical strategy and dollars that a noob C division player can expect to spend each day?
    I was kind of figuring I would play each game in the bank of C games once on the first day, maybe play in a classic event one of the days, and spend most of my time just playing the non-competition games. I would then go back and replay each game in the bank of C games as needed to try and up my score/ if it looks liek I even have a chance.
    Am I way off base with this strategy? It is not exactly clear to me how the algorithim works but as I understand it, playing each game a ton of times till you get a good high score is a poor strategy since you are only rewarded for consistent good play at PAPA. Can someone help me out with a good strategy/ some info for a PAPA noob?

#81 10 years ago

So I have to play all 5 games consistently well in order to have a shot?

The way I am understanding what you are saying >> if on entry 1 I do well on games 2 and 5. Then on entry 2 I do well on games 1, 3, and 4. I still have to pick either entry 1 or entry 2 as my one to be used for ranking?

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from Vengeance:

You are 100% off base.
    Each entry is a separate entity of itself.
    This isn't pump and dump you can't just "up your worst scores"
    You buy an entry and walk up to your bank of games, you pick 5 games to play, how well you do on each game is ranked against all other scores (including your own) and given a point total.
    You then add up the value of points from all 5 games and you get your ranking.
    There is no way to improve that score by playing again, it is locked in, if that entry didn't get you high enough to qualify, you have to buy another and try again.
    Hopefully that makes more sense

Thanks for the info. I'll be a first time participant as well in "C" as well and have only played in a handful of tournaments prior. I think I prefer this method as it rewards consistency and saves you some cash rather than playing each game a bunch until you get a good score. Does anyone have a rough idea of how many participants there are in C as well as how many qualifying spots there are to fill?

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The way I am understanding what you are saying >> if on entry 1 I do well on games 2 and 5. Then on entry 2 I do well on games 1, 3, and 4. I still have to pick either entry 1 or entry 2 as my one to be used for ranking?

As long as you don't void the entry before submitting it*, the system will automatically choose the higher of the two entries and count that as your official one for the standings.

By the way, I read your qualifying strategy, and I didn't think you were too far off base. Maybe I'm missing something. It is Monday.

Some people do 1 or 2 entries, some do a handful, and some will do just about as many entries as time allows. The more you do, the better your chances. Obviously, the more you spend as well. I recommend the following:

A. Set a dollar cap for the entire event you won't go over.
    B. Do an entry or two and see where you stand. Let the standings guide the rest of your strategy, up to but not past your self-imposed $ cap.

*Someone else can talk about reasons for voiding an entry. There is at least one valid reason, but it can be hard to determine at the moment you need to make a decision.

#84 10 years ago

PAPA is the toughest competition outside that of the IFPA World Champs.

The qualifying format really weeds out the strong from the weak and rewards consistency.

Unlike pump and dump where you can just keep dumping money into a game till you come up with a good score, at PAPA it doesn't matter how much time or money you have, if you don't have the skill to remain consistent and play well across 5 games you won't make the cut.

In C and B division there is a little more room for error, you can have one or two bad games and still make qualifying.

As for voiding an entry there are a number of reasons to do so.

1) you could hurt yourself, all of you entries are individual entries, and you have to play against yourself. So as an example if you have an entry where you have a #1 score on a game, and then you play another entry and take that #1 score from yourself, you just knocked your old entry down 10 points in the overall standings

2) Time is always against you, on Saturday things are going to go bonkers especially in C division where you end up with usually over 100 players. If you are playing an entry and you tank your first 2 to 3 games and you know that you can't qualify on the entry it's faster to void and start again then it would be to put in the hour or two it's going to take to get in your final games

3) consideration for the staff, if your entry is shit and you know it's shit, do a favor to the staff and void it. It's much easier to enter a void in the system, then it is to enter in each score, verify they are all correct and submit it.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for the info. I'll be a first time participant as well in "C" as well and have only played in a handful of tournaments prior. I think I prefer this method as it rewards consistency and saves you some cash rather than playing each game a bunch until you get a good score. Does anyone have a rough idea of how many participants there are in C as well as how many qualifying spots there are to fill?

Looks like there were close to 200 C players last year.
    http://papa.org/papa15/live/C.html
    And the top 16 players qualified

Refer to the rules for more info.
    http://papa.org/papa16/rules.php#III
    The number of qualifying slots which will advance to the final rounds is partly dependent upon the number of players competing. At a minimum, each division will take the top eight qualifiers to the final rounds. This may expand to nine, twelve, sixteen, or other numbers as determined by tournament officials. The final decision on expanding the number of qualifiers in each division will be made no later than 11 pm on the Saturday night of the tournament. In the event that any chosen number of qualifiers does not match the groupings described in these rules (for 6, 8, 9, 12, or 16 players), the groupings will be posted at the time of the decision.

#86 10 years ago

I have never actually seen anything other than top 16 in each division move onto the finals. BTW, even C div is ridiculously difficult and loaded with good players, so see how your first few entries go before you start worrying about it too much. I also wouldn't say $ is not an issue, as I have seen mediocre players put up 20+ entries to get a lucky ticket with all solid scores.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

In "C" you'll likely need one strong game (top 5) and two decent games (top 20) minimally on a ticket. Keep an eye on the scores on the big screen or on your smart phone and see which ones are easier for you to achieve. Most folks require many attempts to get a good ticket but sometimes your best ticket is your first.

The scoring is all automatic and you really don't make decisions, just play and then see where you stand, repeat, repeat, .....

Classics tournaments run Thurs, Fri, and Sat and they all start and end within the same day. They are open to all skill levels so there's no A, B, and/or C. Many of the A players play classics (so the competition is tough!) and there are usually rather long waits so a card takes a while to play. These games are more random than the modern games (equalizing the skill levels a bit)though so give it a try and see how you do.

#88 10 years ago

The competition is one thing, but focusing on that alone might bar you from the magnificent experience that is PAPA. Set a cap for how much spending you're allowing yourself and do your best, forget WPPRs, just enjoy yourself. While it'd be neat to see a noob walk in and win A Division, it's not going to happen; remember, lots of folks have been enjoying the PAPA experience for years and years, so coming in and expecting that you can just trounce...it's just gonna cut into the fun.

I've seen too many people go to PAPA and they miss all the fun! They just spaz early at how hard qualifying is going to be and sorta melt down on Thursday. There's too much fun to be had; do NOT go in all hung up on silly WPPRs and trophies...you'll ruin your whole trip!

Make some chums! Meet and be friendly with the scorekeepers who make it possible for us all! Walk over to a dive bar with some new friends. And ENJOY THE LOCATION; there's nothing like it in the world. People who care only about their own personal competitive performance are a drag a lot of the time; I went to multiple PAPAs and kinda got bummed because I'm not a strong player -- there I was throwing all this cash at it and stressing -- what was I even doing there? Then all of a sudden, boom, bad mood all weekend.

Take in all of the hard work that goes into PAPA! Think about how much Kevin has built and how awesome it is that we all get to be there. Remember that you never get better at pinball if you don't play with people significantly better than you, and pay attention to the top dawgs -- learn some stuff! It's not about showing up and winning; you have an opportunity to take a lot more experience home with you if you open yourself up to it than prizes and WPPR points.

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

The competition is one thing, but focusing on that alone might bar you from the magnificent experience that is PAPA. Set a cap for how much spending you're allowing yourself and do your best, forget WPPRs, just enjoy yourself. While it'd be neat to see a noob walk in and win A Division, it's not going to happen; remember, lots of folks have been enjoying the PAPA experience for years and years, so coming in and expecting that you can just trounce...it's just gonna cut into the fun.
    I've seen too many people go to PAPA and they miss all the fun! They just spaz early at how hard qualifying is going to be and sorta melt down on Thursday. There's too much fun to be had; do NOT go in all hung up on silly WPPRs and trophies...you'll ruin your whole trip!
    Make some chums! Meet and be friendly with the scorekeepers who make it possible for us all! Walk over to a dive bar with some new friends. And ENJOY THE LOCATION; there's nothing like it in the world. People who care only about their own personal competitive performance are a drag a lot of the time; I went to multiple PAPAs and kinda got bummed because I'm not a strong player -- there I was throwing all this cash at it and stressing -- what was I even doing there? Then all of a sudden, boom, bad mood all weekend.
    Take in all of the hard work that goes into PAPA! Think about how much Kevin has built and how awesome it is that we all get to be there. Remember that you never get better at pinball if you don't play with people significantly better than you, and pay attention to the top dawgs -- learn some stuff! It's not about showing up and winning; you have an opportunity to take a lot more experience home with you if you open yourself up to it than prizes and WPPR points.

Thanks for the advice Molly! I'm definitely going for the experience more than anything. I'll probably only do 2-3 entries max and if that's good enough to qualify than great! but if not I'm not going to stress about it... I really just want to see the PAPA facility firsthand and play a bunch of pinball. Also looking forward to meeting some new friends as well.

#90 10 years ago

That was like, Buddha and stuff.

#91 10 years ago

My only expectation is to have a good time with some good buddies!

I know I suck at pinball, but every once in a while lightning strikes and I get lucky. If the stars allign, then all good. If not, then I don't really care since I will still have a blast!!!

I do have one other question.

In C division there are more than 5 games available, so I assume there is some strategy to decide which 5 games to play for an entry?
    I also assume that there is some strategy to put up a good entry with 5 of the games and then to go try and put up high scores on the other games in order to bump others down?

Can someone elucidate on how it works with more than 5 games in a division but only 5 games for an entry?

#92 10 years ago

A lot of good info thanks all. I'm going for the experience and probably last place but this is my first competition and it doesn't matter, just curious to see how things are and hopefully meet some new friends.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone elucidate on how it works with more than 5 games in a division but only 5 games for an entry?

Probably a choice of 5 then. But it's just a guess.

#94 10 years ago

What is with all the WPPR frenzy lately... geez just compete and win what you win. You think Bowen, Lyman and all the veterans were worried about WPPR points at all? No they didn't they just worried about winning the event.

Get over the WPPR point feeding frenzy people and just play, compete and have fun!

#95 10 years ago

Do wppr points work like Marlboro miles, if so I'm saving up for the sleeping bag and the Swiss Army knife!

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My only expectation is to have a good time with some good buddies!
    I know I suck at pinball, but every once in a while lightning strikes and I get lucky. If the stars allign, then all good. If not, then I don't really care since I will still have a blast!!!
    I do have one other question.
    In C division there are more than 5 games available, so I assume there is some strategy to decide which 5 games to play for an entry?
    I also assume that there is some strategy to put up a good entry with 5 of the games and then to go try and put up high scores on the other games in order to bump others down?

You pick whatever 5 games you want out of the 9 or 10 in the bank and play them. Some people stick with their favorite 5 every ticket, others mix it up some. And yes, you could play "defensive" tickets where you try for high scores on games not on your good ticket. This is usually only a good ideaif you're just at the qualifying line (say 15th or 16th place) with not much time left (Saturday night). Don't waste money with this tactic early on as scores change greatly throughout the weekend. Play the games you are best at is generally good advice. If you're good (or bad) at all of them, pick the more obscure games as they may get less play.

#97 10 years ago

In case anyone cares,The Pirates are in First Place and playing Miami Wed. night and Thursday at 12:35. We're going. Cant wait to enjoy the whole experience.

#98 10 years ago

I'm sure this is a dumb question but does anyone know if it's 3 or 5 ball play.

#99 10 years ago

3 ball on SS & DMDs

#100 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

You think Bowen, Lyman and all the veterans were worried about WPPR points at all? No they didn't they just worried about winning the event.

Well, like 99.9% of the rest of the field, I have zero chance of winning at PAPA. WPPR points at least give you some feeling of accomplishment. This makes it more fun for me, as well as extra motivation to climb as high in the field as I can, even though I know I can't win any hardware. Level up!

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-16-are-you-going/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.