Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drjoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

So can i play a single game in A division just to at least get some ifpa points? Seems really odd to not get any points for playing C division which is where i belong... Just another example of how the competitive pinball stuff is like a good old boys club intended and stacked for only a few.
    Am i supposed to stuff the prize pool for A class where i have zero chance of actually competing? Note i actually have zero chance of competing in C...

Why so cynical? If you "belong" in C, why worry about WPPRs anyway?

Competitive pinball is not "stacked". Everyone has the same chance at PAPA. The divisions keep less-experienced players from facing the top guys. Play in "C" for a year or two, then B, then work your way up to "A". No one really shows up at their first PAPA and blows up the "A" division winning a bunch of WPPRs and cash. Put the effort in and work your way up to it rather than criticizing it.

If you want WPPRs, try local / regional tournaments too....not just the world pinball championship.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so is 1 game played in classics enough to earn me some points?
    It would be nice to walk away with something point wise, but I do not see actually trying to compete in classics since I do not care for many older games.

One entry in Classics is a 4-game ticket. You play one game on 4 different machines in the classics bank. Finishing in the bottom half of the field will earn you less than one wppr point. Bottom 1/4 of the field will get you 0.3 points or so.

PAPA world championships is probably not your best choice for chasing WPPRs. But, you take with you the experience competing, play a bunch of games you haven't before, meet many pinball enthusiasts, watch some of the top players on the monitors, etc...and if you happen upon a wppr or two, all the better.

If you're really after wppr points, check out ifpa's calendar of events....there's something somewhere every weekend and the points are a lot easier to come by than at PAPA.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

So I have to play all 5 games consistently well in order to have a shot?
    The way I am understanding what you are saying >> if on entry 1 I do well on games 2 and 5. Then on entry 2 I do well on games 1, 3, and 4. I still have to pick either entry 1 or entry 2 as my one to be used for ranking?

In "C" you'll likely need one strong game (top 5) and two decent games (top 20) minimally on a ticket. Keep an eye on the scores on the big screen or on your smart phone and see which ones are easier for you to achieve. Most folks require many attempts to get a good ticket but sometimes your best ticket is your first.

The scoring is all automatic and you really don't make decisions, just play and then see where you stand, repeat, repeat, .....

Classics tournaments run Thurs, Fri, and Sat and they all start and end within the same day. They are open to all skill levels so there's no A, B, and/or C. Many of the A players play classics (so the competition is tough!) and there are usually rather long waits so a card takes a while to play. These games are more random than the modern games (equalizing the skill levels a bit)though so give it a try and see how you do.

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My only expectation is to have a good time with some good buddies!
    I know I suck at pinball, but every once in a while lightning strikes and I get lucky. If the stars allign, then all good. If not, then I don't really care since I will still have a blast!!!
    I do have one other question.
    In C division there are more than 5 games available, so I assume there is some strategy to decide which 5 games to play for an entry?
    I also assume that there is some strategy to put up a good entry with 5 of the games and then to go try and put up high scores on the other games in order to bump others down?
    Can someone elucidate on how it works with more than 5 games in a division but only 5 games for an entry?

You pick whatever 5 games you want out of the 9 or 10 in the bank and play them. Some people stick with their favorite 5 every ticket, others mix it up some. And yes, you could play "defensive" tickets where you try for high scores on games not on your good ticket. This is usually only a good ideaif you're just at the qualifying line (say 15th or 16th place) with not much time left (Saturday night). Don't waste money with this tactic early on as scores change greatly throughout the weekend. Play the games you are best at is generally good advice. If you're good (or bad) at all of them, pick the more obscure games as they may get less play.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Is it considerably harder to qualify in B division over C? I know the caliber of players is generally higher in B, but judging by past years' it looks like almost twice as many people entered as "C" vs. "B" which means you have way more people to compete against and likely longer wait times for qualifying. I registered for C since it's my first time but wondering if B might be a better choice? Anyone with experience in both? thanks!

Yes, B is harder for sure than C. If it's your first PAPA, and you do not have a lot of other tournament experience with at least decent results, I'd recommend C. Better odds of playing on Sunday. And if you do play on Sunday, try B next year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drjoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-16-are-you-going?tu=drjoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.