20240130_170852 (resized).jpg
Hot Wheels Cover (resized).jpg
975DE508-D1D7-4E56-B1C5-C9271505D190 (resized).jpeg
B4975FF9-1257-411B-BF8C-1005FD5EC366 (resized).jpeg
4A63312E-7244-4D55-BBEC-3CBDF37F0812 (resized).jpeg
8A225306-37CD-443E-A7D2-8D4CE9B2791E (resized).jpeg
0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,255 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 86.
#4101 7 months ago

Ok so I received the board for the LED's today. I am waiting to put it in, but the Board number they sent is PCB 40. Clearly, the board with the blown fuse is board 53. On the left of board, 53 is where the flashers are connected. Does anyone know the differences between these 2 boards? I am still suspecting board 53. I do not like American Pinball's Secrecy around the electronics. They will not make it long with owners not able to maintain their own games. Putting this machine on a route could turn into a nightmare without being able to troubleshoot.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 101825 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-09-14 101825 (resized).png

#4102 7 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

Ok so I received the board for the LED's today. I am waiting to put it in, but the Board number they sent is PCB 40. Clearly, the board with the blown fuse is board 53. On the left of board, 53 is where the flashers are connected. Does anyone know the differences between these 2 boards? I am still suspecting board 53. I do not like American Pinball's Secrecy around the electronics. They will not make it long with owners not able to maintain their own games. Putting this machine on a route could turn into a nightmare without being able to troubleshoot.
[quoted image]

Not sure if you have this shop manual or if it helps, but I found this. http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-7/Hot-Wheels-Manual-7-13-2020.pdf

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/American_Pinball_Repair_Guides#Games

C9728087-82EE-4EDD-ADD7-F4534AAD7E16 (resized).jpegC9728087-82EE-4EDD-ADD7-F4534AAD7E16 (resized).jpeg
#4103 7 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

Does anyone know the differences between these 2 boards?

You could reach out to the former American Pinball Technical Services Manager, Dave Brennan. I’m sure he’s on pinside. This is his YT channel and he also streams on twitch. https://www.youtube.com/user/brenna98msu

https://m.twitch.tv/daves_arcade/home

#4104 7 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

[quoted image]

40 and 53 are nothing alike. 40 is a 3.3/5V LED board that drives up to 15 RGB LEDs, and acts as the start of the LED serial chain. It is located on the back of the back panel. 53 is a 12v, pwm driver board capable of supporting, motors, LED flashers, and RGB LED strips. The only thing they have in common is that they are both on the same serial bus.

#4105 7 months ago

Thanks Rosh. That is what i am trying to tell technical support. I believe the board that is boinked is 53.

Just knowing what both boards do, will help many down the road as these games get older. I'm am actually glad that I purchased board 40. I am going to keep it as I don't know what future availability will be.

To summarize: (Credit : Rosh)

PCB Board 40 is a 3.3/5V LED board that drives up to 15 RGB LEDs, and acts as the start of the LED serial chain.
PCB Board 53 is a 12v, pwm driver board capable of supporting, motors, LED flashers, and RGB LED strips
They are both on the same serial bus

PCB Board 48 I know runs the E and P LED's and I am not sure what else it does.

#4106 7 months ago

Thanks Balderdash, That is a great piece of the puzzle. The more we can document in this thread will help others down the road.

#4107 7 months ago

Update to the Board saga. AP sent me an e-mail that they are sending me PCB board 53 free of charge. I wrote back and asked how much the board was and that I would pay. The machine isn't under warranty and I am the one that fryed the board, but he said it was a mistake that they didn't realize that the board 40 was not the issue. Very strange. Thanks Rosh for the info. This should have been a simple replacement, but something seems off. I would like to buy all of the boards so I have spares if something happens to AP. Hot Wheels have become my favorite Pin. I want to keep it running for many years.

#4108 7 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

AP sent me an e-mail that they are sending me PCB board 53 free of charge. I wrote back and asked how much the board was and that I would pay. The machine isn't under warranty and I am the one that fryed the board,

Good for you! Unfortunately the world often works the opposite of this, and I'm glad there is still some integrity out there.

#4109 7 months ago

Alright, I picked up my Hot Wheels tonight. Fun game, as expected! I do have a question though: As someone who hasn't bought a Hot Wheels car since I was 9yo, I'd like to know the best place to buy individual cars -online-. I had imagined just going online and browsing a huge selection, but I haven't quite found that yet. I know I can browse the aisles at Walmart, etc, but I'd guess I'm not interested in 99.9% of the cars that are available.

#4111 7 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

As someone who hasn't bought a Hot Wheels car since I was 9yo, I'd like to know the best place to buy individual cars -online-. I had imagined just going online and browsing a huge selection, but I haven't quite found that yet.

Use keyword searches for makes/models of interest on eBay. Also, check out Mattel Creations and their Red Line Club (RLC) cars, at $25-$30 each, a more serious line of collectible Hot Wheels cars compared to the $1.50 cars found on pegs.

#4112 7 months ago

I just received PCB board 53 from AP. Notice on the left all of the flashers connect to this board. I won’t be able to install it for a few weeks until I get home, but I will post back to the forum the results . I have attached the photo for this board for future reference.

IMG_6411 (resized).jpegIMG_6411 (resized).jpeg
#4113 7 months ago

So I have a dead magnet. It's not working during testing or gameplay. I've found only four fuses, and they all check fine. The connection to the magnet is fine. It worked a few days ago. Any suggestions? And where are the rest of the fuses?

#4114 7 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

So I have a dead magnet. It's not working during testing or gameplay. I've found only four fuses, and they all check fine. The connection to the magnet is fine. It worked a few days ago. Any suggestions? And where are the rest of the fuses?

If only there was a service manual..........................

#4115 7 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

There’s a thermal fuse underneath the tape of the magnet. That is likely your culprit that’s blown. They installed non resettable thermal fuses instead of resettable ones. Take the tape off install new thermal fuse and you’re away

#4116 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

If only there was a service manual..........................

I've looked at that manual. Several times. Even before I bought it. It's been open, in my browser, for two days. When you search "fuses", it shows exactly zero locations. There's also a tech sheet that is quite informative, but still with zero fuse locations.

A more helpful response you could have given was "There’s a thermal fuse underneath the tape of the magnet" (thanks Audioenslaved). That is actually useful.

#4117 7 months ago

arcyallen if this works please post pics and the fuze and where to get it. My magnet has never worked since I have had my game.
I guess I can’t miss what I never have had.

#4118 7 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I've looked at that manual. Several times. Even before I bought it. It's been open, in my browser, for two days. When you search "fuses", it shows exactly zero locations. There's also a tech sheet that is quite informative, but still with zero fuse locations.
A more helpful response you could have given was "There’s a thermal fuse underneath the tape of the magnet" (thanks Audioenslaved). That is actually useful.

Dude. That wasn’t a dig on you. I was pointing out how American hasn’t provided ample technical instructions or wiring diagrams. I was referring to the ongoing frustration AP owners have over the lack of end user resources. Only a few posts ago I was providing links and contact information to someone so they could get the answers they needed. Meanwhile you being captain obvious to someone, scolded them for connecting alligator clips while their power was on. I’m sure they didn’t appreciate your patronizing tone as you began with “I don't have an answer for you (sorry) but here's the lesson...” Just as I don’t appreciate your passive aggressive downvote since you misunderstood my comment not being directed at you. Deep breath. I hope you get a resolution for your game. I know that downtime is frustrating.

#4119 7 months ago

Please post if you find a fix. I knew my
Machine had a magnet, but just
Realized it has never worked.

#4120 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Dude. That wasn’t a dig on you. I was pointing out how American hasn’t provided ample technical instructions or wiring diagrams. I was referring to the ongoing frustration AP owners have over the lack of end user resources. Only a few posts ago I was providing links and contact information to someone so they could get the answers they needed. Meanwhile you being captain obvious to someone, scolded them for connecting alligator clips while their power was on. I’m sure they didn’t appreciate your patronizing tone as you began with “I don't have an answer for you (sorry) but here's the lesson...” Just as I don’t appreciate your passive aggressive downvote since you misunderstood my comment not being directed at you. Deep breath. I hope you get a resolution for your game. I know that downtime is frustrating.

If you think the self-deprecating comment of "I don't have an answer for you (sorry) but here's the lesson we all learn once: Don't do that sort of work with the power on! I was adjusting some leaf switches on my brand new MB a couple years ago and did the same thing." sounds scolding and patronizing, eesh. It goes to show how horrible both you and I are about understanding the intent of each other's messages.

I've been seeing more and more of this recently, which is interesting. I think we both need to take that deep breath. I am, indeed, sensitive to what I see as snarky attacks (on myself but mostly on others). Which are unfortunately rampant here on Pinside. Sorry to misinterpret your original comment.

And for the rest of you asking, I'll update you soon on what I find out.

#4121 7 months ago

So an update on the dead magnet: It appears I'll be ordering a new magnet later today unless I find the values for that fuse. In order to remove it, you take out three screws and then firmly but slowly rotate and pull the magnet assembly out. Once it's out, you can remove the tape to find the fuse. It tests dead, but based on the data printed on the side of it I can't figure out what to order. Feel free to chime in if you have some wisdom here! AP mentioned that while it could be just a fried fuse, there also could be a transistor locked on which is constantly sending 48V to the magnet. I don't appear to have that issue during testing, and never saw that happen during playing, so I'm thinking a replacement fuse or magnet will take care of it.

PXL_20230925_153240613.jpgPXL_20230925_153240613.jpgPXL_20230925_152909755.jpgPXL_20230925_152909755.jpgPXL_20230925_153010245.jpgPXL_20230925_153010245.jpg
#4122 7 months ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

arcyallen if this works please post pics and the fuze and where to get it. My magnet has never worked since I have had my game.
I guess I can’t miss what I never have had.

It’ll work. I’ve bypassed my fuse (I’ve got the new one just haven’t fixed it yet) and the magnet works so it’s 100% a thermal fuse problem if everything else in your game is working

#4123 7 months ago

i really have NO idea to where i could install this...

hw (resized).jpghw (resized).jpg

#4124 7 months ago

That looks perfect for the spinner

#4125 7 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

That looks perfect for the spinner

#4126 7 months ago

IMG_20230928_112343_259 (resized).jpgIMG_20230928_112343_259 (resized).jpg

IMG_20230928_113239_599 (resized).jpgIMG_20230928_113239_599 (resized).jpg

#4127 7 months ago

Hell yeah that’s what I’m talking about. Looks bad ass . I have been thinking about an x wing, but that looks awesome

#4128 7 months ago

I went Mario theme.

IMG_2572 (resized).jpegIMG_2572 (resized).jpeg
#4129 6 months ago

Great minds think alike

IMG_6207 (resized).jpegIMG_6207 (resized).jpeg
#4130 6 months ago

I emailed american pinball and they think my issue might be power supply. So, I ordered one and hoping that fixes my dead flipper issue that is very sporatic. Its also weird because if I open the coin door to adjust anything the flippers and coils are dead sometimes even with door closed. We will see.
I am making the first looping ramp order for a customer now. I went a hair smaller on the width to see it. Testing for a few days, but the vuk power has a sweet spot for the loop. If the ball is a weak one it will roll out cut out guide back to vuk or drop to plastic ramp side. Theres guides to achieve this as seen. I really enjoy this game. Its just fun and has great shots. If the power supply fixes the issue I will update here for other owners to see.

Video of loop testing new ramp:

5787EC7B-F5AD-4063-A082-010AC70E7CDA (resized).jpeg5787EC7B-F5AD-4063-A082-010AC70E7CDA (resized).jpeg6D50195D-9D8B-44D7-BE6B-B73C58D65057 (resized).jpeg6D50195D-9D8B-44D7-BE6B-B73C58D65057 (resized).jpegIMG_7602 (resized).jpegIMG_7602 (resized).jpegIMG_7603 (resized).jpegIMG_7603 (resized).jpegIMG_7610 (resized).jpegIMG_7610 (resized).jpegIMG_7608 (resized).jpegIMG_7608 (resized).jpeg
#4131 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinballbuyer:

I emailed american pinball and they think my issue might be power supply. So, I ordered one and hoping that fixes my dead flipper issue that is very sporatic. Its also weird because if I open the coin door to adjust anything the flippers and coils are dead sometimes even with door closed. We will see.
I am making the first looping ramp order for a customer now. I went a hair smaller on the width to see it. Testing for a few days, but the vuk power has a sweet spot for the loop. If the ball is a weak one it will roll out cut out guide back to vuk or drop to plastic ramp side. Theres guides to achieve this as seen. I really enjoy this game. Its just fun and has great shots. If the power supply fixes the issue I will update here for other owners to see.
Video of loop testing new ramp:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s fugging cool man! That and you alien ramps are awesome!!

#4132 6 months ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

That’s fugging cool man! That and you alien ramps are awesome!!

Thanks. I had not a single sale of Alien whipping tail ramp. I was stunned, so I appreciate the comment.
Customer #1 ramp going out this week. I post videos of them on youtube and instagram so they can see it on the game working prior to shipping.

Set #1 playtest. Waiting on him to tell me if he wants the outer loop painted.

#4133 6 months ago

Two questions:
-I'm having a lot of rejects out of the Build Track saucer. I'll shoot the ball all the way in and it bounces back out. I think the gate is not settling down quick enough to trap the ball. Any recommendations? I plan to add a drop of oil to that gate to hopefully make it drop a split second faster.
-I'm having the same problem on the right lock saucer. It bounces back out, or sometimes feeds all the way through back down to the right inlane without stopping. Is there supposed to be any sort of gate there?

I also tried lowering the flipper power a hair but when I do that I can't make the far left ramp shot consistently.

#4134 6 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Two questions:
-I'm having a lot of rejects out of the Build Track saucer. I'll shoot the ball all the way in and it bounces back out. I think the gate is not settling down quick enough to trap the ball. Any recommendations? I plan to add a drop of oil to that gate to hopefully make it drop a split second faster.
-I'm having the same problem on the right lock saucer. It bounces back out, or sometimes feeds all the way through back down to the right inlane without stopping. Is there supposed to be any sort of gate there?
I also tried lowering the flipper power a hair but when I do that I can't make the far left ramp shot consistently.

for the left one, check my messages, starting at #4010, this easy DIY trick works (quite) perfectly !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted?tu=ripleyyy#op

for the right one, i also get some rejects, but i deal with it...

#4135 6 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm having a lot of rejects out of the Build Track saucer. I'll shoot the ball all the way in and it bounces back out.

Check the drop targets in front of the saucers. If those are not flush with the playfield you could be getting some ball hop that causes it to bounce out.

#4136 6 months ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

for the left one, check my messages, starting at #4010, this easy DIY trick works (quite) perfectly !
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted?tu=ripleyyy#op
for the right one, i also get some rejects, but i deal with it...

I added some rubbers to that gate and it's 5 for 5 now. Thanks for the tip!

Quoted from Ballderdash:

Check the drop targets in front of the saucers. If those are not flush with the playfield you could be getting some ball hop that causes it to bounce out.

I adjusted both of them earlier as I noticed the occasional slow ball hang. I have the problem that when they drop, the bottom of the target bracket below the playfield sometimes lands on the rubber stopper a bit crooked and it drops more than normal. So either it's "Level 98% of the time, low 2%" or "A bit high 98% of the time, level 2%". I chose the first.

#4137 6 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I added some rubbers to that gate and it's 5 for 5 now. Thanks for the tip!

#4138 6 months ago

One issue with right saucer is that if you hit it just right it won't hit the flat rail and get directed up into the saucer, but will just go straight through, past the saucer, and into the shooter lane and down to the inlane.

#4139 6 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

One issue with right saucer is that if you hit it just right it won't hit the flat rail and get directed up into the saucer, but will just go straight through, past the saucer, and into the shooter lane and down to the inlane.

This happens to me about 30% of the time. Not super annoying, in fact, I find it kind of whimsical. But I'll fix it if there is a solution.

#4140 6 months ago

This is a follow up on my flashers not working after trying to add pinstadium lights and blowing the board. I replaced board 53 today and it worked perfect. Thanks to Rosh for the help. I’m finally starting to figure out the electronics . Btw I wasn’t going to risk blowing the flasher board again so I connected the pinstadium to the shaker. Works perfect. If you search for hot wheels by American Pinball prime time amusements on YouTube, you will see a machine that had my exact problem. And wouldn’t you know it, they have pinstadium lights. I’d you watch the video, notice the right flasher is stuck on.

#4141 6 months ago

I am selling my Hot Wheels for $5k if anyone is local to Akron. I found a game I really want bad so this one has to go.

#4142 6 months ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

It’ll work. I’ve bypassed my fuse (I’ve got the new one just haven’t fixed it yet) and the magnet works so it’s 100% a thermal fuse problem if everything else in your game is working

Can you share the part number of the fuse? Thanks

#4143 6 months ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I am selling my Hot Wheels for $5k if anyone is local to Akron. I found a game I really want bad so this one has to go.

Wow I wish I lived closer that is a screaming deal

#4144 6 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

Can you share the part number of the fuse? Thanks

Something like this will cut the mustard

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/thermal-fuses/2047433

#4145 6 months ago

Has anyone added under-cabinet lighting to their Hot Wheels? I'm kinda thinking it may not be able to be tied into the machine itself and will need to plug into the wall separately but looking for any previous experience from other owners.

#4146 6 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

Update to the Board saga. AP sent me an e-mail that they are sending me PCB board 53 free of charge. I wrote back and asked how much the board was and that I would pay. The machine isn't under warranty and I am the one that fryed the board, but he said it was a mistake that they didn't realize that the board 40 was not the issue. Very strange. Thanks Rosh for the info. This should have been a simple replacement, but something seems off. I would like to buy all of the boards so I have spares if something happens to AP. Hot Wheels have become my favorite Pin. I want to keep it running for many years.

How much money for these boards?
I'm thinking of getting spares as well.

#4147 6 months ago

I bought the first one from AP for $29. The board 53 they sent me for free. It doesnt look like you can buy Board 53.

#4148 6 months ago

Hey Pinball buyer. Are you going to sell those ramps?

#4149 6 months ago
Quoted from Wheyfast:

Hey Pinball buyer. Are you going to sell those ramps?

I made the first one and posted the final
price. And my first buyer dropped out. I was fine with him doing so as i have learned anything over $300 is a killer. Its six hours labor plus materials and shipping. Came out to $375 shipped. Tuning the angles of the curves to function on the machine is also part of it including playtesting. It is alot to do and painting takes another hour with prep. At this point I am pretty sure its dead in the water.

And I need a new power supply for my machine and that was met with we dont have any instock and theres no eta on them from ap. Sad.

Its also hard to playtest when the coils go weak. Power supply..

#4150 6 months ago

Are you selling the ramp that your customer backed out? PM Me if you are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 4,255 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted/page/83?hl=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.