(Topic ID: 344325)

Barrels of Fun Pinball- Labyrinth pinball. HYPE thread!

By Haymaker

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,281 posts
  • 464 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
IMG_2827 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2825 (resized).jpeg
Ello Invitation - Final (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
boo.gif
IMG_0993 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0979 (resized).png
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0934 (resized).jpeg
bof_topper.pdf (PDF preview)
20D6DB34-A5C3-44DA-993A-E85D8D885836 (resized).jpeg
Labyrinth-david-bowie-40642230-245-245.gif
Screenshot 2024-01-17 131915 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 66.
#1401 6 months ago

After the gameplay reveal today, I wonder how many posts we'll see stating that the goblin voices and call outs are irritating or that there are too many of them.

I do personally wonder how balanced it will feel in that regard, even though I do even some wacky goblin voices myself!

#1402 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

After the gameplay reveal today, I wonder how many posts we'll see stating that the goblin voices and call outs are irritating or that there are too many of them.

why would you ask this ?

No one on Pinside has an opinion about how pins are made and what should go in them !

#1403 6 months ago

clues and bread crumbs from the past

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-prices-in-a-year/page/2#post-6633754

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1404 6 months ago

Notice the sculpts arnt really designed to interact direct with the ball but are cool eye candy. Hopefully they are pretty durable molds to handle airballs etc.
We will see soon enough!

#1405 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game with the worst callouts, live action clips, and unpainted 3D printed “molds” in pinball?

Your opinion. I think the game is a blast and dont play with the sculpts.

#1406 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:I do even some wacky goblin voices myself!

proxy-image (4).gifproxy-image (4).gif

#1407 6 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

We were holding cash for MMr2024 and there was zero hesitation to pivot

It’s funny you mention MMr. When talking to my wife about putting a deposit down on Labyrinth, I said, “would I let a keeper go to add this game? Yeah, I’d sell MMr to make room.” We love MM, but we’ve enjoyed it a long time and seldom play it now. Labyrinth would get a lot of play.

Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I actually love that game ! I don’t own one yet but when I’ve got the cash and a good deal comes along I for sure will !

I finally played GTF and my reaction from that brief experience was that it’s a really fun pin. I had a very long first ball, locked 3 for mb (great ball lock!) and found it to be forgiving with the center up-post that pops up for a few seconds whenever you hit the center tank targets. The ramps are clever with the diverter. I thought the custom videos and callouts were noticeably goofy. But, that’s the idea. Plus, code can improve that if that becomes a major drawback. Try one, it’s fun to play.

#1408 6 months ago

*oops enjoy.

Though fancy some goblin voices, would be fitting as well! I do declare!

#1409 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game with the worst callouts, live action clips, and unpainted 3D printed “molds” in pinball?

The callouts and live action clips are all part of what I like about it - and gameplay is fun ! There’s something for everyone - this is for me !

#1410 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s funny you mention MMr. When talking to my wife about putting a deposit down on Labyrinth, I said, “would I let a keeper go to add this game? Yeah, I’d sell MMr to make room.” We love MM, but we’ve enjoyed it a long time and seldom play it now. Labyrinth would get a lot of play.

Thanks for sharing, good context for me

#1411 6 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I always tried imagining how operators made things work 6 years ago when machines were ~$7k!

Be creative or other sources of income like a barcade.

Quoted from CLEllison:

I think at $10K we can all safely assume they aren't making a killing here.

They ain't singing swimming pools and movie stars.

Quoted from CLEllison:

This hobby is just getting too expensive for OPs.

Yes. I've kicked around the idea of reducing the number of pinball machines and adding another pool table. My pool play post covid closings is up.

LTG : )

#1412 6 months ago

My wife also got excited and wanted it just from the teaser reel. I then found out that two others from my small pinball group also ordered one (both married). I love the theme myself, but it seems to attract a female audience really well.

#1413 6 months ago

I’m in on Labyrinth. Great eye candy but that didn’t do it for me.
Eric and Bowen on code and rules closed me.
2 extremely talented people that put out an amazing product.

#1414 6 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Thanks for sharing, good context for me

I’m public service-y like that!

#1415 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I finally played GTF and my reaction from that brief experience was that it’s a really fun pin. I had a very long first ball, locked 3 for mb (great ball lock!) and found it to be forgiving with the center up-post that pops up for a few seconds whenever you hit the center tank targets. The ramps are clever with the diverter. I thought the custom videos and callouts were noticeably goofy. But, that’s the idea. Plus, code can improve that if that becomes a major drawback. Try one, it’s fun to play.

Agree, I had the same experience

#1416 6 months ago

Bowen Kerins Plays Jim Henson's Labyrinth Pinball at the Wormhole

A few weeks ago at the Wormhole, we hosted Bowen Kerins and the Barrels of Fun team to record a tutorial of Jim Henson's Labyrinth. We were so excited to host another group of "rock stars" at The Wormhole. Videos of the Wormhole Crew playing this pin will be coming soon....

FYI, this is a work-in-progress version of the code, and the most up to date will be able to be seen at the upcoming Expos. Updated code video will publish 10/17 and can be viewed on the BOF YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/@BoFPinball

People can order the machine from www.shop.kollectfun.com or authorized dealers. You can also check us out at https://wormholepinball.com

#1417 6 months ago

First Ever Gameplay Video of Labyrinth Pinball, featuring Bowen Kerins at Wormhole Pinball

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/first-ever-gameplay-video-of-labyrinth-pinball-featuring-bowen-kerins-at-wormhole-pinball

2023-10-16 14_01_46-Bowen Kerins Plays Jim Henson's Labyrinth Pinball at the Wormhole - YouTube (resized).png2023-10-16 14_01_46-Bowen Kerins Plays Jim Henson's Labyrinth Pinball at the Wormhole - YouTube (resized).png
#1418 6 months ago

Just watched a good portion of the gameplay video. Looks like a lot of fun. Reinforced that I made good decision to preorder.

#1419 6 months ago

After watching the video I've lost most interest. Makes me sad but I don't think the gameplay is for me. I am still going to reserve my opinion until I put my hands on the flippers but it seems slow, fixed, and very mode focused. Watching someone else play it, it doesn't seem nearly as fun as some of my favorite pins. Lots of repeat shots, loops, right back to flippers. It looks nice and it might be a fun experience but I can't see myself enjoying this long term. I will probably hold out to see what they do in the next game unless somehow this is way more fun in person.

I'm not bothered by anything I've seen, it looks more solid than a lot of the other new machines. I just feel like it's not my kind of pin. We'll find out in a few days. Definitely a good first pin for the company. Still like the art and design.

#1420 6 months ago

I wish the audio was plugged in so we could hear the music and callouts better, I think the game probably has better energy that way. Looked like a smooth shooter with good flow, but felt a little 'sleepy' to me. Fav shot looked like the Ello worm shot you have to lift the 3rd flipper for, clever entry. If you love this theme and movie, I think it's great. After hearing the roar and feeling the shake from the T-Rex, maybe a lot of games will feel less intense going forward.

Looks like good build quality and excited to see what comes next from BoF. This one probably won't be for us after all, but look forward to playing it in person sometime.

#1421 6 months ago

i expected to see more integration with the back lcd (it’s just kind of there to show rules) and movement of the characters durring the songs (even just moving the castle part where ludo is hiding) . So much theme integration it just felt kind of flat to me.

fixable in figure code but I just expected them to lean in since they have so many “puppet actor” mechs and a back lcd screen as their main toys.

#1422 6 months ago

delete

#1423 6 months ago

Wish that video showed the game a little brighter.

#1424 6 months ago

I thought it looked great in the video. Lots of smooth flow. Lots of cool stuff to do. I love that right ramp!

#1425 6 months ago

time to grab a mug of coffee and curl up with a bowen video brb

#1426 6 months ago

Seems to shoot really well. Reminds me a lot of WPC89 era games. There's lots of flow. That orb collect shot underneath the upper flipper is an interesting one, not sure I've seen that before. The under ramp kickout is great. As is that spinner lock jackpot shot. Lots of interesting ideas here.

The biggest thing for me was that the code seemed immature, especially in terms of the screen usage. That playfield LCD should be atmospheric, used to change the feel and tone of the game, and distinguishing between modes. To me, that's a much better use of the real estate than telling me how many Labyrinth letters have been awarded. That should be sent to the top screen (and only when you get one!).

It's defo a pity about the video & sound quality, hopefully they have that sorted for the next video. Bowen having a cold didn't help either, poor guy! Not sure the main music theme fits well, seems a bit JJP plinky plonky, but it's hard to hear. The lead in music during the trailer (when the girl walks into the bar and sees the game) seems a much better fit, more 80s synthwave vibe. I assumed that was Danesis work but it may have been Labyrinth.

Looking forward to shooting it at Expo.

#1427 6 months ago
Quoted from RetroGamer74:

Just watched a good portion of the gameplay video. Looks like a lot of fun. Reinforced that I made good decision to preorder.

Same

#1428 6 months ago

The rollout with this company has already been more transparent and coordinated than many other manufacturers. Whether you like Labyrinth or not, package looks more polished early on than recent releases from AP and spooky.

#1429 6 months ago

Watching this video has made me put ordering off till I play one myself. I am pretty sure that was not the purpose

#1430 6 months ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the main background song was sleepy.

#1431 6 months ago

It's good to be the king. lol

goblin king (resized).jpggoblin king (resized).jpg
#1432 6 months ago

Like the ramps. More movement than I thought (good).

The video seems weird to me.... like someone is missing .... the cleaners video was like, Hoggle is all by himself, what's he doing down there? Run over him!!!! Screw that muppet!!!

Pretty pf like an early JJP game, seems more linear than a Stern (to me).
Lower screen doesn't do much (so far).

I was wondering how the songs would kick off..... I don't know what I think about that. The multiball didn't capture Magic Dance (no light show).

Very nice 1st look. Congrats BOF - I'm sure it was a lot of work.

#1433 6 months ago

Game looks great. Direct video and audio is now the standard for high quality streams, that would have made a huge difference here. I think this will sell very well. Maybe even sell out before Pinball Expo is over.

#1434 6 months ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

It's good to be the king. lol
[quoted image]

I can why the ladies love this theme

#1435 6 months ago

A lot of what i feel is missing can be fixed with code, but yeah Multi ball wasn’t exciting.

The back panel as Davey said I was expecting to change for modes to represent them and add immersion.

can’t wait to read some impressions from this weekend.

#1436 6 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

That orb collect shot underneath the upper flipper is an interesting one, not sure I've seen that before.

Similar shot as ST although it routes to shooter lane.

#1437 6 months ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

A lot of what i feel is missing can be fixed with code, but yeah Multi ball wasn’t exciting.
The back panel as Davey said I was expecting to change for modes to represent them and add immersion.
can’t wait to read some impressions from this weekend.

I think the screen images will be more on theme as they get further along with the code. The layout seems really solid and that is the most important thing. Cant fix it later. Heres to hoping they support their games with updates for a while after launch.

#1438 6 months ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Similar shot as ST although it routes to shooter lane.

Yep UK crew also just educated me on that also!

#1439 6 months ago

A pretty balanced first video with things I loved and things that were not so great. Agree with others a direct feed of the LCD(s) and audio as well as better lighting on the playfield would have helped. Code is early which is no surprise. Music is good but I could see myself getting tired of hearing that rolling intro score constantly while playing. That and the light show can all be updated over time and I have no doubt will be continually dialed in. Highlight for me was that shot to the captive ball being held in the left orbit that ripped the spinner, the light show when it happened was a really great moment and gives me lots of hope for more of that to be coded into the game to make it sing. As a huge fan of the movie I have no regrets with my preorder and can't wait to see it develop further!

#1440 6 months ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I think the screen images will be more on theme as they get further along with the code. The layout seems really solid and that is the most important thing. Cant fix it later. Heres to hoping they support their games with updates for a while after launch.

100 percent. The layout is solid. If there is a will here (and I think there is) this could turn out great.

#1441 6 months ago

Looks like nice smooth shots and fast ramps. I know its a dark theme but the middle of the playfield looked so dark I was thinking some bulbs were out.

Looks fun, and I don't care for the theme whatsoever.

#1442 6 months ago

I really like the super jackpot concept. Lock a ball in front of the left spinner then hit it like a captive ball to spin the spinner. I'm hoping more spins = more points. Not all super jackpots would payout the same amount. Very cool.

#1443 6 months ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:I really like the super jackpot concept. Lock a ball in front of the left spinner then hit it like a captive ball to spin the spinner. I'm hoping more spins = more points. Not all super jackpots would payout the same amount. Very cool.

yeah he said that was how it worked, and he was excited to have a pretty solid shot which got a good bit of spins.

Curious if this triggers any more orders and how many orders they have so far. One guy mentioned his order number was in the 500s. Would be cool to get some more data points there. Of course people ordering accessories separately will skew it a bit, and orders through dealers.

#1444 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I’m public service-y like that!

themoreyouknow (resized).jpgthemoreyouknow (resized).jpg
#1445 6 months ago

The video was so dark! I couldn't see much of anything....

#1446 6 months ago

Watched Bowen's video. I think it'd be a lot of fun. Would love to have one in my basement for a while. If I'm not that lucky, maybe LTG will pull the trigger on one. It'd look real nice next to that WOZ on the back wall

#1447 6 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

yeah he said that was how it worked, and he was excited to have a pretty solid shot which got a good bit of spins.
Curious if this triggers any more orders and how many orders they have so far. One guy mentioned his order number was in the 500s. Would be cool to get some more data points there. Of course people ordering accessories separately will skew it a bit, and orders through dealers.

I wouldn’t go by the order numbers….mine was in the 500s too and I ordered within a couple minutes of it being available. Their system probably started in the 500s. If someone ordered one today that would tell us something, but as you mentioned accessories might throw it off (but probably not much as I’d think most would order accessories with machine in one order). BSavage also said in this thread that 150 total would be sold direct, so we at least know they haven’t sold that many via the website.

#1448 6 months ago

Watching the video now with expectations in check. Placebo in check also since I have a pre order in place. So far I like what I see (still watching) for early code. One thing that stuck out to me was the use of code controlling the LED fans based on the mode. When Bowen was playing The Knockers, each fan lit up either solid Red or Blue (like the movie). This seemed to correspond to the targets/lights for the mode on the playfield and as shots were made the LED fans were changing accordingly. Pretty cool theme integration IMO and a glimpse of how they want to extend the experience outside of the playfield alone.

Still watching and I will agree the video stream is dark in Wormhole and the resolution on the cameras seems fine but the bitrate might be jacked? Lots of video degradation on Bowen and the playfield feeds. This can more easily be cleaned up like others said with better direct feed video paired with a soft, properly defused light box on the player in the future. Just a tip for the BOF team that might be reading this is all.

edit. Apparently new code is dropping tomorrow too? Can't wait for Expo reactions as well from real players/consumers.

#1449 6 months ago

I feel like at times like this it's best to discern how they should film pinball, because I don't think I've ever seen it done well. Maybe we need a action cam closeup angle with some kind of sensor on the ball the camera follows.

#1450 6 months ago

I’m interested. Bowen is awesome and I respect the way he was playing the game for demo purposes. Speaking about something and then being sure to only hit the shot needed to make the thing he just spoke about happen. Im assuming no one is going to play the game like that when they get it home. I would like to see him play a game at full tilt stacking friends combos, multiballs, and modes together. Had they done that for the first video no one would have any clue what was going on so its makes sense to hold off on that until later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

1,000 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Raleigh, NC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Harrisonburg, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-pinball-company-labyrinth-pinball/page/29?hl=morgoth00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.