(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 38.
#1801 6 months ago

Just booted up Maverick today. Has been working fine, but suddenly the DMD is blank. Sound all works fine. Game can be played and seems to run normally. But the display stays black.

I tried reseating all the connectors and ribbon cables. No luck there. What would be the next step?

#1802 6 months ago

There’s a service billeting someplace that talks about how to change the connector to draw power from a better source on the board. I think rebuilding my display connector helped when I had a Maverick.

#1803 6 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

Just booted up Maverick today. Has been working fine, but suddenly the DMD is blank. Sound all works fine. Game can be played and seems to run normally. But the display stays black.
I tried reseating all the connectors and ribbon cables. No luck there. What would be the next step?

I had two Mavericks and the one did the same thing and on my it was the two wires black and red wires going too the DMD just check the ends if wires are not right or the solder joints on the boards that's what happen too my

#1804 6 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

Dealing with this also. I removed the 26 pin cable and cleaned the pins. Display worked. Then put it back in the back box and it didn’t. Then I let the cable hang rather than snug around the boards. Worked. So I’m figuring loose header pins or just enough tug on the cable the not make a good connection. Investigation continues.

#1805 6 months ago

It would be good too find out why this happens

#1806 6 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I had two Mavericks and the one did the same thing and on my it was the two wires black and red wires going too the DMD just check the ends if wires are not right or the solder joints on the boards that's what happen too my

These the wires you're referring to?

20231030_163435 (resized).jpg20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
#1807 6 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

[quoted image]

Yes both ends on my game that's what made it go off then I played around with it and tryed too fix it then came back on for a while then a week later back off so not sure at the end that's what it was good luck

#1808 6 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

[quoted image]

Part of my issue might be that the last socket on the connector is broken off. The lock on header is missing also. Pretty sure that needs to be addressed also.

#1809 6 months ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Part of my issue might be that the last socket on the connector is broken off. The lock on header is missing also. Pretty sure that needs to be addressed also.

Yes for sure replace that

1 month later
#1810 4 months ago

Hey guess what! Anyone have a spare display board for sale? The display started going out then coming back on and off. Flowed solder on the connectors. Game is super clean I don't think it was used a lot. I'm ordering the parts to make a new ribbon cable just to toss that at it. I also installed a ColorDMD recently hoping maybe it was the display... but I'm thinking the display board. Thought if I could find a working board here I'd give it a shot. I'm going to pull the board and maybe check the header pin connectors as well. Thanks!

#1811 4 months ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Hey guess what! Anyone have a spare display board for sale? The display started going out then coming back on and off. Flowed solder on the connectors. Game is super clean I don't think it was used a lot. I'm ordering the parts to make a new ribbon cable just to toss that at it. I also installed a ColorDMD recently hoping maybe it was the display... but I'm thinking the display board. Thought if I could find a working board here I'd give it a shot. I'm going to pull the board and maybe check the header pin connectors as well. Thanks!

Does the Color DMD work? If so keep it and sell the old one.

#1812 4 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Does the Color DMD work? If so keep it and sell the old one.

ColorDMD is doing the same thing the old display was doing. Coming on and off. I'm sure the original display works that's why I'm hunting down a display board.

#1813 4 months ago

Check the two wires red and black on both ends it seems that's what my was at the time did u do that yet

#1814 4 months ago

Check the two wires red and black on both ends it seems that's what my was at the time did u do that yet

I did reflow that connector. I can check it to make sure it's making it there.

#1815 4 months ago

Didn’t Sega have an official service bulletin with instructions for moving the power feed for the display from a better/different pin? I did the modification after I had my display glitching.

#1816 4 months ago

I did reflow that connector. I can check it to make sure it's making it there.

Ok both ends also

#1817 4 months ago

Thanks! The power supply molex off the DMD was the issue. I guess about 3 years ago when I bought the pin, (it was home use only and looked flawless) He said he shopped out all the boards. New caps, flowed solder, etc. And he did but even though someone did flow solder on the power supply, it either got cold joint since then or just wasn't soldered well. I re-flowed everything once again for a hail mary. Put everything back in the game and DMD came up rock solid. So even though it looked re-flowed, flow again. When I flow boards, I usually let the solder sit on the pin a few seconds to make sure it all made it through. This did look like someone just touched the pins even though this power supply looks new. Thanks again for your post! It made me look and was the issue!

53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
#1818 4 months ago

Thanks! The power supply molex off the DMD was the issue. I guess about 3 years ago when I bought the pin, (it was home use only and looked flawless) He said he shopped out all the boards. New caps, flowed solder, etc. And he did but even though someone did flow solder on the power supply, it either got cold joint since then or just wasn't soldered well. I re-flowed everything once again for a hail mary. Put everything back in the game and DMD came up rock solid. So even though it looked re-flowed, flow again. When I flow boards, I usually let the solder sit on the pin a few seconds to make sure it all made it through. This did look like someone just touched the pins even though this power supply looks new. Thanks again for your post! It made me look and was the issue!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Np at all I so happy that’s what it was I know on my game it was doing the same thing and I found out that fixed my , nice looking pin u got I have own my for a very long time and it’s a great pin all around enjoy it as I do

1 month later
#1819 85 days ago

Think I've isolated the problem with my DMD. There's a fuse being blown when the DMD is connected. Doesn't blow when the display is not connected. Can't remember which fuse and I'm out of town and not around my manual right now, but I'll double check tomorrow night. But any ideas for next step?

#1820 84 days ago

Is it me, or does the color DMD on Maverick look great?

#1821 84 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Does look good

#1822 84 days ago

Fantastic upgrade !

#1823 84 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

20200925_185254 (resized).jpg20200925_185254 (resized).jpg20200925_185257 (resized).jpg20200925_185257 (resized).jpg20200925_185532 (resized).jpg20200925_185532 (resized).jpg20210828_201935 (resized).jpg20210828_201935 (resized).jpgreceived_184363330144675 (resized).jpegreceived_184363330144675 (resized).jpegreceived_339143694324989 (resized).jpegreceived_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
#1824 80 days ago

Making progress on the display issue I'm having. Turns out the bridge rectifier that connects to the display (BR3) has failed and is likely what is causing the blown fuse (backbox F3). Ordered a new BR. Hopefully installing that will fix the issue.

#1825 80 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Making progress on the display issue I'm having. Turns out the bridge rectifier that connects to the display (BR3) has failed and is likely what is causing the blown fuse (backbox F3). Ordered a new BR. Hopefully installing that will fix the issue.

Let us all know if that what it was

1 week later
#1826 72 days ago

Well, unfortunately, the bridge rectifier was not the issue. I'm pretty sure it's something with the display itself. I don't have one from another machine that will work to test out. Does anyone here whose upgraded to a color dmd maybe want to sell their old display for cheap?

#1827 72 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Well, unfortunately, the bridge rectifier was not the issue. I'm pretty sure it's something with the display itself. I don't have one from another machine that will work to test out. Does anyone here whose upgraded to a color dmd maybe want to sell their old display for cheap?

Oh wow that’s to bad that wasn’t it did u reset all ribbon cables and check all plugs

#1828 72 days ago

Oh wow that’s to bad that wasn’t it did u reset all ribbon cables and check all plugs

I did. That fuse keeps blowing unless I disconnect the connector in the picture. I looked at the board on the dmd, and there's one spot that looks a bit toasty. So a new display should fix it. If I can't find a cheap one, I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a color dmd.

20240216_142231 (resized).jpg20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
#1829 72 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

I did. That fuse keeps blowing unless I disconnect the connector in the picture. I looked at the board on the dmd, and there's one spot that looks a bit toasty. So a new display should fix it. If I can't find a cheap one, I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a color dmd.

Oh ok ya if that looks toasty then as u said thats should be it for sure ,I always wanted too go with C DMD but so much lol

#1830 72 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Color DMD on Maverick is a major upgrade. (Glad ours came with one already installed)

#1831 72 days ago

Honestly, from the videos I've watched, it's one of the better color dmds out there. Looks great. Just so damn expensive!

#1832 72 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

I have one that I took out of my Maverick. It was brand new when installed in 2014. I removed when I bought my ColorDMD in 2021 I think? It is flawless. Indistinguishable from new. No hint of burn, fade, cloudiness, or anything else undesirable. Literally looks brand new. Nice bright strong display with many years of life left in it (presumably). Wouldn't be cheap but a couple hundred cheaper than ColorDMD. Could do $350 shipped. Firm on that price. Just PM if interested.

#1833 72 days ago

I have one that I took out of my Maverick. It was brand new when installed in 2014. I removed when I bought my ColorDMD in 2021 I think? It is flawless. Indistinguishable from new. No hint of burn, fade, cloudiness, or anything else undesirable. Literally looks brand new. Nice bright strong display with many years of life left in it (presumably). Wouldn't be cheap but a couple hundred cheaper than ColorDMD. Could do $350 shipped. Firm on that price. Just PM if interested.

To bad for a few hundred more I will go with the ColorDMD big up grade for sure

#1834 72 days ago

I have a nice used display I will sell for $250 shipped.

#1835 72 days ago

Thanks for the offers, guys. At those prices, I think I'd just upgrade to color, though.

Will DM you if I change my mind. Thanks again for the offers.

#1836 69 days ago

Hi. I have a DMD just took off from Baywatch. Is fully working. If interested please pm me. Ty.

#1837 69 days ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. I have a DMD just took off from Baywatch. Is fully working. If interested please pm me. Ty.

Replied to your DM. Thanks again for your generous offer.

As an update: I found a DMD at a good price and ordered it last Friday. Should arrive this Thursday. That should definitely fix the issue. Will update here after installing new display.

Thanks again for all the offers. Always appreciate this community.

#1838 69 days ago

kevster did you buy a color display?

#1839 69 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

kevster did you buy a color display?

Since he said he found one at a good price...I'm gonna say no...lol.

#1840 69 days ago

Since he said he found one at a good price...I'm gonna say no...lol.

Haha. Indeed. If Maverick has the staying power I hope it does, I really would love to get a color display in the future. It looks so, so good. But so far, Maverick has spent a large portion of its life in my house out of order, so I haven't dug into yet as much as I'd like. Really enjoy it when it's working, though.

Main reason it's been out of order so much was because I bought it before I really knew what to look for in a pinball machine. I was really new to the hobby and saw an ad for this game outside of Portland. Drove there, and the guy definitely didn't let me know anything that was wrong with it. And I was too ignorant to ask real questions. Had issues from the get go and was unusable within a month. And I had no idea where to start. So it sat in my basement for a long while. Finally found a local guy who fixes pins and he worked on it in his shop. And there was a laundry list of problems with it But he got it all fixed up. And taught me a few things along the way. And then a while later, the display gave out and I only recently got around to dealing with that.

So hopefully it'll have a clean bill of health for a bit and I can really dig in. Would love to put in a color dmd as well as some LEDs.

#1841 68 days ago

Done getting my Maverick in working order. Only annoying issue I have is that when the autolauncher puts the ball in play, it frequently goes airborne and hits the ramp causing it to not circle around the upper loop but stop and drop. Coil is correct. I have tried adjusting the lower metal launch ramp but no luck so far.

All suggestions welcomed (excluding the ones that state "sell it to me").

#1842 68 days ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Done getting my Maverick in working order. Only annoying issue I have is that when the autolauncher puts the ball in play, it frequently goes airborne and hits the ramp causing it to not circle around the upper loop but stop and drop. Coil is correct. I have tried adjusting the lower metal launch ramp but no luck so far.
All suggestions welcomed (excluding the ones that state "sell it to me").

Yours has an autolauncher?!

#1843 68 days ago

My Maverick has been gone a few years but I seem to remember it autolaunching balls for multi-ball.

#1844 68 days ago

Sorry, bad verbiage. Plunge ball into one of 3 holes. Ball goes underneath then coil launches ball. Ball goes airborne.

#1845 68 days ago

He means the auto launch after you drop thru one of the holes on the launch ramp.
I had your issue. All but one of the screws that held the launch assembly were broken and it twisted and was misaligned. Straightened and added new screws and all was good

#1846 68 days ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

He means the auto launch after you drop thru one of the holes on the launch ramp.
I had your issue. All but one of the screws that held the launch assembly were broken and it twisted and was misaligned. Straightened and added new screws and all was good

Yes needs too be lined up on the nose too be good

#1847 65 days ago

Maverick is back up and running. Got the new display installed today. Ended up being trickier than it needed to be. Apparently, DE/Sega decided it would be smart to reverse the voltages on their different displays. So the 5V wire was feeding into the 12V and vice versa. Luckily I have a buddy who has a tool that can pop the wires out of the connectors, so we did that, then reversed their order. Then it worked great.

20240222_210202 (resized).jpg20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
#1848 65 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Maverick is back up and running. Got the new display installed today. Ended up being trickier than it needed to be. Apparently, DE/Sega decided it would be smart to reverse the voltages on their different displays. So the 5V wire was feeding into the 12V and vice versa. Luckily I have a buddy who has a tool that can pop the wires out of the connectors, so we did that, then reversed their order. Then it worked great.
[quoted image]

Congrats! BTW...you have an old rom. Newest rom shows Sega and has Sonic.

#1849 65 days ago

Congrats! BTW...you have an old rom. Newest rom shows Sega and has Sonic.

Good to know. I actually don't know much about updating roms. Did a quick search. Looks like there is a three chip set for CPUv4.04/DISPv4.01. And then four different sound roms. Do you need all the sound roms, or just the CPU/DISP set?

#1850 65 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Good to know. I actually don't know much about updating roms. Did a quick search. Looks like there is a three chip set for CPUv4.04/DISPv4.01. And then four different sound roms. Do you need all the sound roms, or just the CPU/DISP set?

Just the CPU and display combo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 259.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.