(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.
#1701 1 year ago

I bought this game when I really didn't know much at all about the hobby, so I got taken for a bit of a ride and ended up with a machine with loads of issues. Finally dropped it off at a shop to have it fixed up real nice. Can't wait to finally have this game running like it should because when it is, this is absolutely one of my favorites. I'll post pics once I get it back. Gonna be glorious!

#1702 1 year ago

If you want help with any issues, ask away! That's what we live for!!!

#1703 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

If you want help with any issues, ask away! That's what we live for!!!

Awesome, thank you! Once I have it back in good, working order, I'll feel better about tackling issues as they come up. So I'm sure I'll be back lol

1 week later
#1704 1 year ago

Guys just found out that pinsound has a shaker mod that works with maverick now!!!! im probably late to the show, but has anyone tried this yet, and is it super sweet or super not sweet? I dont have pinsound, but i did see that they offered a version that you didnt need pinsound. let me know guys!!!!!

#1705 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Guys just found out that pinsound has a shaker mod that works with maverick now!!!! im probably late to the show, but has anyone tried this yet, and is it super sweet or super not sweet? I dont have pinsound, but i did see that they offered a version that you didnt need pinsound. let me know guys!!!!!

Ooooooh...I need to know what this is all about!

#1706 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Ooooooh...I need to know what this is all about!

ok so you purchase it and let me know if its as sweet as it seems and then ill buy it. thank you

#1707 1 year ago

Pinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpgquick question for Maverick owners. I'm restoring a maverick and the paddle wheel has 2 parts, the larger half that moves the ball and a thinner outer part that finishes off the look as well as keeps the ball from falling out. Hope that all makes sense. The question is are the two halves supposed to be "glued" together rotating as one or does the outer half remain still while the larger half rotates moving the ball?Pinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpg

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from Timberhusk:

[quoted image]quick question for Maverick owners. I'm restoring a maverick and the paddle wheel has 2 parts, the larger half that moves the ball and a thinner outer part that finishes off the look as well as keeps the ball from falling out. Hope that all makes sense. The question is are the two halves supposed to be "glued" together rotating as one or does the outer half remain still while the larger half rotates moving the ball?[quoted image]

The whole thing rotates.

#1709 1 year ago

Paddle wheel question. Is the paddle wheel is in two parts, are they supposed to be "glued" together? Right now the larger half that moves the ball rotates while the thinner outer half remains still. Seems like they should rotate together.

Pinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7253523_3137363 (resized).jpg
#1710 1 year ago
Quoted from Timberhusk:

Paddle wheel question. Is the paddle wheel is in two parts, are they supposed to be "glued" together? Right now the larger half that moves the ball rotates while the thinner outer half remains still. Seems like they should rotate together.
[quoted image]

I beleave they are as one and moves together

#1711 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I beleave they are as one and moves together

And I beleave they are two pics though

#1712 1 year ago

So my maverick starts up but has no dmd display and no sound... Then after about a minute or so the sound will start to attempt to come on, sometimes a hiccup here or there where it plays that horn sound a few times and then starts playing fine and then after a couple minutes ish the dmd display will come on a play fine. If this was an arcade: power supply easy replacement. I'm assuming it's something similar ya... And if so how do I replace? Pinball not exactly the same easy power supply replacement, atleast not that I know of. Or is it something else and I'm way off?

#1713 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

So my maverick starts up but has no dmd display and no sound... Then after about a minute or so the sound will start to attempt to come on, sometimes a hiccup here or there where it plays that horn sound a few times and then starts playing fine and then after a couple minutes ish the dmd display will come on a play fine. If this was an arcade: power supply easy replacement. I'm assuming it's something similar ya... And if so how do I replace? Pinball not exactly the same easy power supply replacement, atleast not that I know of. Or is it something else and I'm way off?

This happen too me ,my was the cord that goes too the DMD too the power check both end it doesn’t take much but my it was going on and off and sometimes always off

#1714 1 year ago

This happen too me ,my was the cord that goes too the DMD too the power check both end it doesn’t take much but my it was going on and off and sometimes always off

The usual culprit...

#1715 1 year ago

OK that sounds like a pretty easy fix. Does that mess with your sound as well or just the display? Also I was a bit confused by what you wrote, how did you fix your issue of the cord...? Replacing it?

#1716 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

OK that sounds like a pretty easy fix. Does that mess with your sound as well or just the display? Also I was a bit confused by what you wrote, how did you fix your issue of the cord...? Replacing it?

U might have two things dmd and sound check both but in my case I changed the ends but u can try resetting the two wires pull them out cut the old off them reset them back in there ,do u have the tool for resetting. Them back in

#1717 1 year ago

U might have two things dmd and sound check both but in my case I changed the ends but u can try resetting the two wires pull them out cut the old off them reset them back in there ,do u have the tool for resetting. Them back in

no i do not, didnt even know that was a thing thats why I assume you just replaced the whole cable.

#1718 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

no i do not, didnt even know that was a thing thats why I assume you just replaced the whole cable.

If u can find a new cable not sure about that ,I always buy the new ends and the tool too install the wires right works out great ,just because most wires with the ends on them already most you can't buy so I got in too fixing my own way better

#1719 1 year ago

If u can find a new cable not sure about that ,I always buy the new ends and the tool too install the wires right works out great ,just because most wires with the ends on them already most you can't buy so I got in too fixing my own way better

thank you, i will definitely check out this wire and see what tools I have to do this as well, thanks for the info.

#1720 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

thank you, i will definitely check out this wire and see what tools I have to do this as well, thanks for the info.

Np pinball life and Marco pinball parts has all that stuff

#1721 1 year ago
Quoted from Darkstar1234:

I have a Maverick Pinsound mix I made awhile back…if anyone ever wants it, feel free to ask

can you repost this again man, I was tlaking to my friend about it and wanted to show him how sweet it was.

#1722 1 year ago

hi guys...I just picked up a maverick, Ive got a pin2dmd, is the a colour fsq file? also i have 3 flashers under playfield that blow the bulbs, the flash once and die. all others ok. any thoughts please, thanks

1 week later
#1723 1 year ago

I absolutely LOVE this table.... But I REALLY hate the optos, they are a near constant source of trouble. I desoldered each one and resoldered them when I shopped the table... and since then have had to pull it all apart 2 more times in the last year, just because of opto issues. And guess what? I need to do it again!

Surely there are better solutions now.

#1724 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I absolutely LOVE this table.... But I REALLY hate the optos, they are a near constant source of trouble. I desoldered each one and resoldered them when I shopped the table... and since then have had to pull it all apart 2 more times in the last year, just because of opto issues. And guess what? I need to do it again!

I’ve had some quite good results (I was given this tip from an operator around a decade ago) that when working with these optos (and the opto solder connections were the culprit) is to lock them down in a small cocoon of hot glue once they are dialed-in to improve their lasting operation.

#1725 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Yes it is a pain what I did too my I got new opto and changed both and it's been 5 years now and it's been great

#1726 1 year ago

Yea, I am tired of dealing with them. I am going to do some digging and see if I can find a better solution.
Maybe an eddy sensor or a magnetic switch.

#1727 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Yea, I am tired of dealing with them. I am going to do some digging and see if I can find a better solution.

Just order new opto I had great luck changing my two new 5 years still going great

#1728 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

MRS baby!

#1729 1 year ago

Ohhh, So you guys have a solution that will work? I am all in!

#1730 1 year ago

Should have...shoot me a PM - and I'll pass along my number so we can see what you got going on- but you can tie an MRS into the opto board - the part where it provides the connection to the switch matrix...customers have it done it in Stern pins and others...

Matt

2 weeks later
#1731 12 months ago

Alright, folks. Just had my Maverick fully shopped. It was a disaster and well beyond my abilities (which, sadly, are almost non- existent). Got it back and set up yesterday and things are running smooth. One thing I've noticed that isn't a big deal, but a minor annoyance that I want to see if anyone here could help me fix:

When you start a game, the Commodore goes through his spiel: "Welcome to my ship, the Lauren Belle. And welcome to the first ever, annual, All Rivers Draw Poker Tournament. We play till we drop. Winner takes all."

Mine now cuts out during the audio intro. Right after "... welcome to the first ever" it stops. Then finishes with, "We play till we drop."

Now, while testing it to make sure I gave accurate information for this post, I noticed that a coil appears to fire that jostles the ball while in the chute, and I'm guessing that's what causing the audio to cut out, as the ball moves slightly and looks like it re-activates the switch it starts on. Any ideas on what would be causing that coil to fire and how to fix it?

Regardless, I am super psyched to have this game back in my arcade. One of my absolute favorites.

3 months later
#1732 8 months ago

Just joined the club. This is my first Data East game.
I have been wanting to try one in the home environment. So I finally found one locally. The only thing I can see or hear is that there is a slight buzzing sound in the right speaker, but not in the left. Any clues?

IMG_1496 (resized).jpegIMG_1496 (resized).jpeg
#1733 8 months ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

Just joined the club. This is my first Data East game.
I have been wanting to try one in the home environment. So I finally found one locally. The only thing I can see or hear is that there is a slight buzzing sound in the right speaker, but not in the left. Any clues?[quoted image]

Welcome brother! We play till we drop, winner takes all! The buzzing sound is normal. Data east pins are notorious for the buzzing speakers. It's not usually the speakers btw. There is a chip you can buy to quiet it some of it really bothers you.

#1734 8 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Welcome brother! We play till we drop, winner takes all! The buzzing sound is normal. Data east pins are notorious for the buzzing speakers. It's not usually the speakers btw. There is a chip you can buy to quiet it some of it really bothers you.

Never owning a Data East game before I wasn’t sure if it was a normal thing.
Thanks for the info.

#1735 8 months ago

Never owning a Data East game before I wasn’t sure if it was a normal thing.
Thanks for the info.

Welcome bro this is a great game enjoy it love love my

#1736 8 months ago

Great game, welcome to the club! Let us know what you think of it after you put some time into it. Really fun pin

#1737 8 months ago

It is a good one and can be difficult. It will make you a better shooter for sure. I sold mine and am keeping an eye out for another affordable one.

#1738 8 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

It is a good one and can be difficult. It will make you a better shooter for sure. I sold mine and am keeping an eye out for another affordable one.

Yes same here I had one for ever then sold it after it was gone I missed it so much so 8 years later I found my old one that I had for ever crazy so I restored it and now never letting it go again ,great playing pin it’s very under rated

#1739 8 months ago

Does anyone know where to find the right ramp? I am going to try and clean the one that is in it, but it sure would be nice to find a replacement. And the same question for the padel wheel.

#1740 8 months ago

Does anyone know where to find the right ramp? I am going to try and clean the one that is in it, but it sure would be nice to find a replacement. And the same question for the padel wheel.

I got mine fully shopped a few months back. I got a full set of plastics from Marcos Specialties. Here's the part number that the tech sent me that I used to find it:

830-5466-xx playfield plastics set

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I got the paddle wheel belt replaced as well:

545-5513-00 Paddle Wheel belt

You might poke around their website to see if they have the entire paddle wheel as well.

Hope this helps

#1741 8 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

I got mine fully shopped a few months back. I got a full set of plastics from Marcos Specialties. Here's the part number that the tech sent me that I used to find it:
830-5466-xx playfield plastics set
Not sure if this will be helpful, but I got the paddle wheel belt replaced as well:
545-5513-00 Paddle Wheel belt
You might poke around their website to see if they have the entire paddle wheel as well.
Hope this helps

I think he’s looking for the right plastic ramp and paddle wheel it self ,I got my new spare ramp from PP years back not sure if they have more but u need too redo them as they marks on them because they have moved around a lot over the years I was told ,as for the paddle wheel I have a spare also but might hang on too them might need them one day ,they are hard too find for sure from 1994 and I don’t think they made any repros for them parts

#1742 8 months ago

I bought a right ramp a few months ago. Email: [email protected]. He usually advertises them for sale on Pinside. They need to be cleaned up but they’re in good shape. Good luck.

#1743 8 months ago
Quoted from Fiddler:

I bought a right ramp a few months ago. Email: [email protected]. He usually advertises them for sale on Pinside. They need to be cleaned up but they’re in good shape. Good luck.

I will give them a try.
Thanks

1 week later
#1744 8 months ago

I did track down the ramp, and some other parts.
Now I am looking for the patch.
If anyone has one or knows of someone that might have it, let me know.

IMG_1594 (resized).jpegIMG_1594 (resized).jpeg
#1745 8 months ago

I did track down the ramp, and some other parts.
Now I am looking for the patch.
If anyone has one or knows of someone that might have it, let me know. [quoted image]

Wow I have never seen this before ,what is it for or a wall hanger

#1746 8 months ago

That patch was available for years on Ebay...might still be.

#1747 8 months ago

Is the shooter rod on Maverick supposed to be a little, how do I describe it, sludgey? A full plunge barely gets the ball passed hole 3, sometimes doesn't even do that. It just feels off. My machine is the only Maverick I've ever played, so it's just kind of how I thought the game was designed, but now I'm wondering if the spring might need replacing.

#1748 8 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

Is the shooter rod on Maverick supposed to be a little, how do I describe it, sludgey? A full plunge barely gets the ball passed hole 3, sometimes doesn't even do that. It just feels off. My machine is the only Maverick I've ever played, so it's just kind of how I thought the game was designed, but now I'm wondering if the spring might need replacing.

A full plunge on my game is a little sludgy, however pulling the plunger back between 1/2 & 3/4 shoots the ball easily to the top of the playfield. Looking at my plunger it is not centered on the ball and should probably be adjusted.

#1749 8 months ago
Quoted from kevster:

What color is your spring? I've had two both with orange Springs and neither had an issue getting up and around.

#1750 8 months ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

What color is your spring? I've had both with orange Springs and neither had an issue getting up and around.

Yes same here always made it up and around was easy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.