IMG_2685 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0344 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1808 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1806 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1807 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1805 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3785 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

35 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 268.
#6601 9 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Yesterday, I was able to borrow a known good PDB (from a Foo pro coincidentally). With the replacement power supply and the borrowed PDB, I’ve gone through 5 power cycles (power up, play a game, power off) with anywhere from 20 minutes - 6 hours between cycles. No clicks outside of the initial click when the PDB gets power. Just swapped the power supply back to my original to show Stern it’s the PDB, not the power supply. First 2 cycles, no clicks. Capacitor lot number on clicky PDB is 2245P. Borrowed non-clicky PDB is 2236P.
My plan is to write it all up, return the replacement power supply, and hope Stern will send a PDB with good caps. Thanks PinMonk and everyone else who’s chimed in with their info!

Yeah, it's not impossible to get a non-clicky PDB with 2022 caps, it's just that when about half of the 2022 caps are low-spec in my (limited) testing, you're rolling the dice with a 50% probability each cap is insufficient (below 8500uF on a 10k uF spec), and you have to win that roll three times to get a single good PDB set with 2022 caps. The math on that says you have 12.5% odds of that happening, so the odds are ever <not> in your favor.

With 2021 CDE caps the odds are close to 100% of getting a good set of caps.

I don't have the balls to do it, but it would be interesting to cut open a cross-section of a 2021 CDE cap and a 2022 one to see what material(s) inside CDE changed that made the 2022 ones .3 oz heavier and way less reliable. Maybe something more like benheck might investigate.

#6602 9 months ago

Aaagghhh!!! Had NO and LA finished , Rosewell started , brought Monkeywrench mb in to the action , music was building up was giving me goosebumps , Rosewell ready ,MW still thumping and drained trying a touch pass from right to left .Man there is some serious buildup in the atmosphere with this pin .I really was liking the lightshow the more I’m getting the pin to wake up lately with better , longer play .When this turns 1.0 it will give GZ a serious run for the roses ! Dead serious

#6603 9 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

anyone noticing on the Pro you sign in, play your game and after you finish your game you hit the lockdown button to start a new game before the timer runs out but the game still logs you out

Played again tonight. Didn't notice the issue.

#6604 9 months ago

In the menu you can change to code to not allow game start on action button.
No more accidental game start with your guts

#6605 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it's not impossible to get a non-clicky PDB with 2022 caps, it's just that when about half of the 2022 caps are low-spec in my (limited) testing, you're rolling the dice with a 50% probability each cap is insufficient (below 8500 ohm on a 10k ohm spec), and you have to win that roll three times to get a single good PDB set with 2022 caps. The math on that says you have 12.5% odds of that happening, so the odds are ever <not> in your favor.
With 2021 CDE caps the odds are close to 100% of getting a good set of caps.
I don't have the balls to do it, but it would be interesting to cut open a cross-section of a 2021 CDE cap and a 2022 one to see what material(s) inside CDE changed that made the 2022 ones .3 oz heavier and way less reliable. Maybe something more like benheck might investigate.

I use to access to a capacitor analyzer at work (sort of retired now). It sweeps from DC to some frequency (don't remember). Plotted all the relevant info, I use to use it to make models for my simulations. Would have been interesting to measure one of those caps you mentioned vs. a good one.

Have you pulled a cap and measured capacitance and ESR? (sorry if I missed if you mentioned that).

Is there a part number on a bad cap, I'm curious what dielectric was used?

#6606 9 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I use to access to a capacitor analyzer at work (sort of retired now). It sweeps from DC to some frequency (don't remember). Plotted all the relevant info, I use to use it to make models for my simulations. Would have been interesting to measure one of that caps you mentioned vs. a good one.
Have you pulled a cap and measured capacitance and ESR? (sorry if I missed if you mentioned that).

I already tested a bunch of the CDE caps with an LCR meter (This one: https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/global-specialties-lcr-600-100-khz-high-precision-lcr-meter ). The caps are stated to be 10000uF with 20% tolerance. All the 2021 caps I tested were 9500uF or above, only 5% loss from stated value, some as high as 9800uF, almost perfect.

However, about 50% of the 2022 caps were below 8500uF - 15% up to 18% loss from stated value. Even the 50% of 2022 "good" ones that were above 8500uF, were well short of 9k uF, a far cry from 2021's lots. Unfortunately for Stern, anything under about 8500uF causes the meanwell power supply to (properly) start clicking as it thinks there's a short.

Thinking maybe CDE used crappier material in the newer caps, I weighed the 2021 caps and the 2022 caps from all the weeks I had on hand. Every single 2022 cap was .3 ounces heavier than the 2021 caps. So, something changed with the makeup of the caps and it made them much crappier. I just don't know what that change is, only that it's definitely a thing.

#6607 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I already tested a bunch of the CDE caps with an LCR meter (This one: https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/global-specialties-lcr-600-100-khz-high-precision-lcr-meter ). The caps are stated to be 10000 Ohm with 20% tolerance. All the 2021 caps I tested were 9500 Ohm or above, only 5% loss from stated value, some as high as 9800 Ohm, almost perfect.
However, about 50% of the 2022 caps were below 8500 Ohm - 15% up to 18% loss from stated value. Even the 50% of 2022 "good" ones that were above 8500, were well short of 9k Ohm, a far cry from 2021's lots. Unfortunately for Stern, anything under about 8500 Ohm causes the meanwell power supply to (properly) start clicking as it thinks there's a short.
Thinking maybe CDE used crappier material in the newer caps, I weighed the 2021 caps and the 2022 caps from all the weeks I had on hand. Every single 2022 cap was .3 ounces heavier than the 2021 caps. So, something changed with the makeup of the caps and it made them much crappier. I just don't know what that change is, only that it's definitely a thing.

That's a nice looking LCR meter. Is that the Rp measurement? Do the caps have the same part number (good vs. bad)? I might check my Foo cap part numbers vs. an older Spike 2.

Sorry for a slight thread derail.

Edit: ahhh - you meant 10,000uF?

#6608 9 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That's a nice looking LCR meter. Is that the Rp measurement? Do the caps have the same part number (good vs. bad)? I might check my Foo cap part numbers vs. an older Spike 2.
Sorry for a slight thread derail.
Edit: ahhh - you meant 10,000uF?

Sorry Ohm on the brain. Yes, micro farads. Hello, editing.

The caps are the same part number, only the internals were (apparently) cheapened. The way to tell is the lot codes on the top of the caps with a 4 digit code for year and week it was made. 2245, 2241, and 2236 are some of the "lesser" lot codes I've seen, although 2236 seem to be slightly better than 2245, but both are much worse than any of the 2021 caps from the same manufacturer (CDE).

I used Cs (series) mode to measure them.

#6609 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sorry Ohm on the brain. Yes, micro farads. Hello, editing.
The part is the same. The only difference is the lot codes on the top of the caps with a 4 digit code for year and week it was made.

Interested in taking some specific measurements? If so, I'll PM you. Very geeky stuff - it would seriously derail this thread.

I don't have a LCR meter, but I do have a HP Vector Network Analyzer, but it only goes down to 300KHz (it's more for RF). But I have a NanoVNA that goes down to 50KHz.

#6610 9 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Interested in taking some specific measurements? If so, I'll PM you. Very geeky stuff - it would seriously derail this thread.
I don't have a LCR meter, but I do have a HP Vector Network Analyzer, but it only goes down to 300KHz (it's more for RF). But I have a NanoVNA that goes down to 50KHz.

Sure, if I can do them. I know the basics, and I mean BASICS of the LCR meter, so you're probably going to ask me to use a function I've never used on it. PM away.

#6611 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure, if I can do them. I know the basics, and I mean BASICS of the LCR meter, so you're probably going to ask me to use a function I've never used on it. PM away.

LOL, it won't be hard. Let me look at the LCR manual and I'll PM you.

#6612 9 months ago

I have continually had issues with IC logging me out before the timer runs out. it generally happens between games but I think today it happened during a game as i swear I logged in and then was not logged in.

Side note. This game kicks my ass. I played ~5 games and don’t think I broke 50M. Then I played Godzilla and hit 1.5B. then played about 5 games in about 8 minutes and then played Deadpool and hit over 800M. Then went back and did nothing. Now I am sitting on the couch pouting.

#6613 9 months ago

Had the pin Off/On 5 times since installing the latest set and all good so far .As far as gameplay ,can’t get back to either of the minis but I’ve been scoring big in mode play so a little trade off I guess .Just want that one game before movie time starts .

#6614 9 months ago
IMG_8329 (resized).jpegIMG_8329 (resized).jpeg
#6615 9 months ago

See the Premium is starting to hover around $9k now used on Pinside. A few listings below or at the $9k mark, which is a decent savings over the $9,700 new (plus state tax), most distributors are charging. I guess Stern has been pumping these games out over the last year. Great option if you don't mind a game with 100 plays, etc.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/160820

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/158289

#6616 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

See the Premium is starting to hover around $9k now used on Pinside. A few listings below or at the $9k mark, which is a decent savings over the $9,700 new (plus state tax), most distributors are charging. I guess Stern has been pumping these games out over the last year. Great option if you don't mind a game with 100 plays, etc.

$1k by Christmas

#6617 9 months ago

Just swapped out rubbers to titan glow and couldn’t find much on here about removing the overlord. Only one nut that’s kind of a pain toward the back that’s under the right flipper return rail. Removing the sculpt is the first step, just two Phillips head screws. The sculpt has two lobes that fit into a slotted receiver on the metal bracket underneath the sculpt. Step two is removing the three locking nuts holding the plastic and metal bracket in place. I just reached through the bracket with a ratchet box end to remove the one at the back that’s a pain. After that the whole assembly can be moved out of the way to swap rubbers. When replacing the back nut I used a pair of forcep style tweezers to get it started. Took a few pics to illustrate the best I could.

2695185F-45D1-4C55-8341-58B73A28C536 (resized).jpeg2695185F-45D1-4C55-8341-58B73A28C536 (resized).jpeg51F63274-C3E6-4AC9-9F5A-71ADBEED4649 (resized).jpeg51F63274-C3E6-4AC9-9F5A-71ADBEED4649 (resized).jpeg525F5F30-C326-4BD1-A0EF-6857514E56C0 (resized).jpeg525F5F30-C326-4BD1-A0EF-6857514E56C0 (resized).jpegBEB97702-0BC0-4DA9-986B-902D2B144983 (resized).jpegBEB97702-0BC0-4DA9-986B-902D2B144983 (resized).jpegC116CC7B-EC4F-4CE6-BC86-64EEBA595068 (resized).jpegC116CC7B-EC4F-4CE6-BC86-64EEBA595068 (resized).jpeg

#6618 9 months ago

I received the Raiden Gorby Overlord legs recently and got them installed. Install was easy, they bolt on right where the existing blue plastic single legs bolt on the front. I ordered them in silver as they appear both purple and silver in the animations. They look great! Just a visual thing but they're fun.

Left side are the Raiden Gorby legs and the right has the stock plastics in place for comparison:
IMG_3289 (resized).jpgIMG_3289 (resized).jpg
IMG_3294 (resized).jpgIMG_3294 (resized).jpg

Here are both sets installed:
IMG_3295 (resized).jpgIMG_3295 (resized).jpg
IMG_3296 (resized).jpgIMG_3296 (resized).jpg

And the final result:
IMG_3371 (resized).jpgIMG_3371 (resized).jpg

#6619 9 months ago

Would it be reasonable to make a separate clicking PDB and cap discussion thread and just point people to it when the subject comes up? Probably make it easier on everyone. Just a thought. The problem seems to be ongoing, and big enough to justify its own topic.

#6620 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New wave of premiums just hit this month, so yea the game is plentiful, anyone wanting to sell used has to compete with readily available NIB. Some dealers still had stock of Prem from the last run and more just came in.

#6621 9 months ago
Quoted from Wade:

Would it be reasonable to make a separate clicking PDB and cap discussion thread and just point people to it when the subject comes up? Probably make it easier on everyone. Just a thought. The problem seems to be ongoing, and big enough to justify its own topic.

There's a lot of information on it I've posted that's essentially hidden in this thread. Doesn't seem like it's going away anytime soon and will likely affect more than one pin, so probably a good idea. I'll export some of my info to a new thread for reference.

EDIT: Done. Thread just about fixing the clicking is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix#post-7693394

#6622 9 months ago

Still all good with no clicking .Hopefully I’m home free .

#6623 9 months ago

No matter how many times I do it , starting A51 while OL mb going is just a killer moment .Something about that subtle “doing” that just feels great .

#6624 9 months ago
Quoted from Wade:

Agreed, like the node 10 board issue on Rush. EDIT: thanks for doing that PinMonk

#6625 9 months ago

Just unboxed my pro. Got the dreaded power supply clicking. Generally just two clicks. Is that now considered normal or at least tolerable or should I be looking to get a PDB replacement?

#6626 9 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Just unboxed my pro. Got the dreaded power supply clicking. Generally just two clicks. Is that now considered normal or at least tolerable or should I be looking to get a PDB replacement?

Anything under 5 is normal from what we've seen on here.

#6627 9 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

That's a different click. I got that. That's more a boot..lol Close the coin door I bet you get 4

#6628 9 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

This is an example of "bad" clicking:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13y9uZn-y1QGwI3iFMkxn9JbM62vJtdt5/view?usp=sharing

#6629 9 months ago

Yeah not that bad thankfully.

#6630 9 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:Yeah not that bad thankfully.

could change day to day

#6631 9 months ago

New code this week...please? We're due, people!

#6632 9 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

could change day to day

Yep, I went 0, to 5, to 51. New replacement on the way .

#6633 9 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

could change day to day

#6634 9 months ago

Has Jack mentioned a date for an update to anyone?

Of course looking forward to more call-outs

Thanks

#6635 9 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Read my post, he answered my question today. His current default is no rubbers at all.

Well I'm usually a big stickler about this kind of thing but I gotta say I am team Raymond with this one. One rubber on the right post makes this game play the best.

Quoted from swinks:

anyone noticing on the Pro you sign in, play your game and after you finish your game you hit the lockdown button to start a new game before the timer runs out but the game still logs you out

The ones that have been on location near me are like this too. Originally a pro and now a premium. Only games that seem to have this problem out of the entire lineup of sterns. Theres been multiple times I've forgotten to sign in because I started a new game.

#6636 9 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

+1. I can't pin it down to anything repeatable either. I find it doesn't do it if I wait until I see Dave in the Green Body suit during the match, but nothing conclusive yet. My pin is about 20 feet from my wifi AP.

#6637 9 months ago

Found a bug in the code...hit a successful use of overdrive and immediately hit the ball into the van lock while the van was flashing to start a city. While it was awarding me for successfully hitting overdrive, the game forgot there was a ball in the van lock and had to find it via ball search. I was not able to start a city and had to hit the three white shots again.

#6638 9 months ago
Quoted from Brombomb:

+1. I can't pin it down to anything repeatable either. I find it doesn't do it if I wait until I see Dave in the Green Body suit during the match, but nothing conclusive yet. My pin is about 20 feet from my wifi AP.

I believe this is a setting you can change in the game menus.

#6639 9 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I believe this is a setting you can change in the game menus.

I'm not sure what setting I would ever want for this. I want to stay logged in until the timer runs out (there's a setting to change the duration of the timer, mine is set to 60s), or I manually log out, hold left flipper. At no point to I want to be logged out after game 3 going into game 4,5, or 6.

Also forgot to mention this was on a premium, not pro. A few others have noticed this as well.

#6640 9 months ago

Would someone mind pointing me to me a ring list for this game? I want to make sure I have enough clear silicone before I start taking things apart.

#6641 9 months ago
Quoted from Wade:

Would someone mind pointing me to me a ring list for this game? I want to make sure I have enough clear silicone before I start taking things apart.

Page 39 of the manual for Prem/LE:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/FooFighters_LE_Pre_web.pdf

#6642 9 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Well I'm usually a big stickler about this kind of thing but I gotta say I am team Raymond with this one. One rubber on the right post makes this game play the best.

I'm struggling with the same idea of trying it with the rubber but I would know that my scores don't matter any more but it would most certainly help me pass a billion.

#6643 9 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I'm struggling with the same idea of trying it with the rubber but I would know that my scores don't matter any more but it would most certainly help me pass a billion.

lol tell ya what, I'd give you a pass on the rubber and still count your score

#6644 9 months ago

I put a rubber ring on my right outlane post, and I can say it’s doing precisely dick in getting me close to a billion.

#6645 9 months ago

Just got word from my distro that Stern shipped my Premium and it should be here Tuesday! SO excited! Time to hope to the PDB gods mine isn't a clicking one.

#6646 9 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Why wouldn’t they matter? We’re talking about rubber on a post, not a rubber band closing the outlanes. . A lot of people only get to play dirty route games with burnt out GI, weak flippers, and rocking like one of the levellers is missing - I played a bunch of those last weekend! Just playing a fully working home game that you can adjust already gives you a HUGE cheat code compared to the general pinball playing community. If we’re going to split hairs, I’d say the only scores that truly comparable (ie “matter”) are those scored in the same company on the exact same machine.

#6647 9 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

This is happening on the new Pro at my location. Could not find a relevant adjustment.

#6648 9 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

I put a rubber ring on my right outlane post, and I can say it’s doing precisely dick in getting me close to a billion.

Concentrate on just starting city modes and finishing them. Try to hit the captive ball and the right orbit to charge up the tractor beam (to collect hard/valuable shots with the action button) and start 2X/3X playfield respectively. I usually do some combination of LA/Seattle/New York then Austin (which has been points buffed, so it's not crappy like it was before). I try to get the right orbit into the tailwhip twice then go into a city mode and hit that right orbit the third time to start 2X while in multiball. I actually got 3X going this weekend on purpose - it's usually an accident.

Hitting the radio when the hurryup is flashing is also important. In multiball you get an add-a-ball, and the best mystery award is a maxed-out tractor beam charge - 3 button hits available. The largest action button get I have received is 88 Million - from ONE button press in a multiball with multipliers running.

#6649 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Concentrate on just starting city modes and finishing them. Try to hit the captive ball and the right orbit to charge up the tractor beam (to collect hard/valuable shots with the action button) and start 2X/3X playfield respectively. I usually do some combination of LA/Seattle/New York then Austin (which has been points buffed, so it's not crappy like it was before). I try to get the right orbit into the tailwhip twice then go into a city mode and hit that right orbit the third time to start 2X while in multiball. I actually got 3X going this weekend on purpose - it's usually an accident.
Hitting the radio when the hurryup is flashing is also important. In multiball you get an add-a-ball, and the best mystery award is a maxed-out tractor beam charge - 3 button hits available. The largest action button get I have received is 88 Million - from ONE button press in a multiball with multipliers running.

+1

Also remember that you can re-charge your tractor beam during city modes... but apparently not the multiballs. I use this to advantage when going through a longer city mode (without the upgraded bomb van mod) by hitting the captive ball a few times and then using the action button. Doing it this way makes it so you don't have to completely recharge your tractor beam from scratch. Scored 780M the other night... not quite a bill (haven't gotten to DC yet) but this seems like a good strat.

#6650 9 months ago

Put on DugFreez ‘s type 13 kit this weekend and swapped rubbers to titan glows. Always love how much these speaker lights add. Also put the type 13 on my Bond.

52297B1F-CA45-46A3-ACD0-1FF5F66AC27D (resized).jpeg52297B1F-CA45-46A3-ACD0-1FF5F66AC27D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 26.50
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Lighting - Led
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, VA
$ 349.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Prescott, WI
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,999 (Firm)
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 13,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 268.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-official-owners-club-rock-aliens/page/133?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.