IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg
20190303_142026 (resized).jpg
20190303_142044 (resized).jpg
20190303_142059 (resized).jpg
20190303_142035 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #53 Explanation of CPR PF blank vs Stern PF blank hardness Posted by CPR (5 years ago)

Post #66 Explanation of reasons for CPR preorder estimation process Posted by KevinCPR (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's all too complicated, too much to manage, and there's too much liability with long-term preorders. See Kevin's explanation above.
Preorders only really work in the short-term; say, 1-3 months. Beyond that, people start getting upset/impatient.

I would charge people for the playfield when the run is actively ready to ramp up. From that point there should be only a 3-4 month wait to finished playfields, and people have paid for it. You could easily get around Paypal's requirements by shipping a "collectible" CPR key fob for the price of the playfield that comes with a playfield later. That way you turn the 1-2 year wishlist into the actual people that are still in the hunt and know EXACTLY what your paid demand is.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does.
Mike

So what I'm reading is Stern has cost reduced out that $12 on an almost $9000 retail LE and $8000 Premium machine to sacrifice consistently harder playfields for 12 bucks in their bottom line. Great.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Dude...
Where the f you been on all the dimple threads? I'm pissed now.

Vid in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1

At least we know vid's full of crap saying Stern's playfields are not worse because they're cheaping out on the wood. From that clear, concise, insider account, they are cheaping out on the playfield wood to save $12 per $8000 machine.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

agreed. the colored GI looks like complete ass. As it always does with every game that people do it on.

Dunno. The green on Munsters in Herman mode works, and the Metallica GI change is nice, too. So colored GI isn't ALWAYS bad, just when it's done in an amateurish way (usually the homebrew carnival puke examples).

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He said they aren't paying for the quality BOTTOM layer... and CPR uses the extra wood as insurance while Stern can just pick and reject pieces that really don't look good. Stern can live with more rejects... CPR can't so they upgrade to get a better shot at meeting the desired quality.
CPR went above what Stern does.. not that Stern reduced to save $12. You're twisting the cites.

Both layers are 64% thicker. That's not a twist. Top and bottom, yes, but 64% thicker top layer than Stern isn't for no improvement.

.048 Stern face veneer wood thickness
.075 CPR face veneer wood thickness

It's not a small difference, and likely accounts for the lion's share of the heavy dimpling Sterns see now compared to pretty much every other contemporary and historical playfield norms.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

.048 stern thickness now, .048 stern thickness then. No difference. It's not that they are picking cheaper version, its the same version as before. They are not opting for a more expensive one that they have never used before. If they used to use .075 and now use .048 then you can make the cheapening out claim.

The thickness bump is a compensation for the wood dryness/density which changed in 2008 when the legacy mill was closed and everyone scrambled to find new wood according to the post.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Correct - but that was a different cite and set of facts then what you mashed together for your cheap out over $12 comments. And again, someone going OVER THE TOP of you does not mean you cheaped and costed things out. It means someone is spending more than you.

They weren't going "over the top" they were trying to re-attain the status quo of the wood the mill that closed was delivering using currently available wood. That's not "over the top."

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have never been in business for yourself.

Well, you'd be wrong. I've been doing manufacture here and overseas for a LONG TIME. Had $20 million years and $200,000 years, but I know the process.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No - again, you're mashing references up to make your own new cites. He never said he made those choices to equate to the wood used before - he said he made those choices based on the product he and the supplier's input on what he felt would make the best product from that supplier.

Look, you can take it sentence by sentence and twist to your liking, but it's clear from that lengthy paragraph in micro and macro that he's saying the reason CPR playfields don't crater is they spend extra on the face veneer thickness and Stern doesn't. His wrapup paragraph doesn't call Stern by name, but definitely refers to them with "like some others do" and "some other playfield manufacturers" etc:

"You get a much nicer product and a much denser and tougher PF. This wood is 25% heavier for the same size panel as our old wood and nearly a third heavier as Baltic Birch which some other playfield manufacturers use. I would love to use cheaper wood like some others do, after all why would I pay $12.50/sqft landed when I can get birch at less than $2.00sqft? We use the best densest hardest custom wood we can get because we think its worth it and we always try to make the very best product we can. "

And it makes sense. Even if they only paid $6 more (half the two sided $12) to use a harder face veneer on the front only to get CPR-level legacy hardness PF results from the SAME MILL Stern uses, why wouldn't Stern pay that? Cost reduction. It's a DECISION by Stern.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think you're misreading CPR's post. He talks about the ups and down over the years in sourcing playfields, but he's downright enthusiastic about the quality of his current supply, and I definitely didn't see anywhere that he was complaining about how much it costs just to get a product that's as good as the stuff from the old days. He also goes out of his way not to attack Stern's product, but to clarify that CPR is going above and beyond in the pursuit of excellence.

He's not calling Stern out by name, but he uses "like some others do" and "other playfield manufacturers" so it's pretty clear who is making the cheap playfield choices to the detriment of final results.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes - but that is not carte blanc to run around citing numbers incorrectly. Say CPR does thicker veeners than Stern - Correct. Say CPR pays more for their wood. Correct. But to cite the $12 and say Stern is being cheap for NOT doing what CPR is doing - That is incorrect and not what Mike has said.
The $12 as I understood it was the delta in using the higher quality veneer on the bottom later per blank. So for Stern to make the same.. would extrapolate to $24 per sheet because they have to improve both top and bottom. Mike simply said CPR chose to improve the bottom as well.. at a cost of $12.

Look, you're doing the same thing trying to minimize what he said. The $12 PER PANEL (not per sq ft) is for thicker veneer on BOTH SIDES. Here's the quote:

"...3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does."

So he says "we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64%" - that means thicker than Stern on the bottom AND TOP.

He says "These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does."

This CLEARLY states that they have a thicker veneer on the TOP and the Bottom and Stern has their standard thinner veneer and a second grade veneer on the bottom.

CPR playfields don't crater. Sterns do now (usually, with a few specific run exceptions). Splitting that $12 cost to the top side only (and note that he says the cost is PER PANEL not PER SQ FOOT) that's a $6 difference for Stern to make playfield surfaces that are as hard as CPR, which is essentially legacy PF hardness.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

and as they explained with small runs they do they can't afford to send back rejects for credit. Stern can take in 1000 blanks, reject 100 and it does not matter. The lumber is local and they are big enough customer that the supplier will cover the returns. They aren't going to cover a shipping returns from a "small" customer in another country, or even a small customer a long way away in the same country.

That still doesn't explain their professional, experienced comment IN THE PLAYFIELD MANUFACTURE BUSINESS that they seek and get the "densest, hardest" playfields, and their face veneer is thicker than Sterns to achieve that, "Marvin".

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But it does explain why Stern uses 2nd grade for the lower side of the play field. Are you going to give Stern a pass, or are you still bent out shape about that?

Couldn't care less about the underside of the playfield. Make it as ugly as you want. Make it SMOOTH, but ugly is okay. I just want to be able to clean it and not get slivers if I change something out. AFAIC, it's irrelevant to the detailed playfield hardness revelations by CPR.

1 week later
#237 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

vireland has gone quiet all of a sudden...

That's because vireland is sick of repeating the same truth, having already made the salient points with backup from CPR's additional information. Stern is cranking out crappier playfields that crater as a result of their drive for fatter profits at all costs, and an EXPERT who makes these PFs all the time has explained the reasons why that is in great detail by comparing it indirectly to the CPR superior wood choices (thanks, CPR!).

Stern has chosen fatter profits over making comparable product to what was available pre-2008 mill closure, which is why their playfield output is very uneven and in general craters more than dimples now. It's not that hard a concept to understand, and yet you persist.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am willing to speculate that Stern doesn't even realize they are getting an inferior playfield blank these days.

Let's not promote the path of a Stern apologist with this kind of "out."

When Stern is sending out STEVE RITCHIE to parrot information he HAS TO KNOW is false (especially in light of them screwing him over with the legendary "as designed" non-fix for GoT Prem/LE mechanical design problem with the orbit), and they are loading up pinside with shills shouting down anyone who mentions the truth of their current playfields sucking due to much heavier cratering than earlier this century and all of the late 20th century, STERN KNOWS they're putting out an inferior playfield. And cutting them slack by letting the shills get away with denying the truth, or excusing them sending Steve to do their dirty PR work is not helping anyone.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

So you got nothing.

No, actually as an unverified fake account, YOU got nothing. Trolling here or to me over and over on PM when I've asked you to stop bothering me until you're verified (because you're a fake/troll account) is still trolling, and you're using this fake account because you don't want to ruin your "good" rep on your verified account. You're not fooling anyone paying attention. Vpns and spoofed IPs can't change writing habits. You might persuade the dumbest that you're someone else, but that's about it.

Try verifying your fake pinside account and maybe then people will take anything you say seriously.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's because you take one truth.. and then add-in conjecture and misquotes and act like the second half is true because first mention was. You take a factual references about wood differences... and then get all the facts wrong and make up your own new falsehoods.
CPR is using better wood - true! No one is contesting that. Everything else you've gone on about... is not credible simply because CPR says they are using more expensive wood.

Let me boil it down to a VERY simple A/B for you:

A> CPR is using better wood and it does not crater, only dimples like the old pre-2008 "normal"
B> Stern is using lesser wood and it DOES crater much more noticibly than old pre-2008 "normal"

People saying Stern playfield wood is the same as it's always been are lying or blind, and CPRs very clear explanation of why things changed in 2008 and what choices they made (better) vs what choices Stern made (worse) give us the why in great detail.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Lol
We could all use a good laugh, tell me who I supposedly am sine you claim to "know". Do it here in public so we can all laugh at the next thing you are wrong about.

You can mock all you want, but like I told you in PM when you were so desperate to be heard you couldn't stop PMing me, I'm not interacting with a fake account. Get verified and we can debate in the open. Until then, I'm not interacting with you. Using unverified shill accounts is cowardly. Fortunately I can block you on the forums, so goodbye, phony account.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.