(Topic ID: 78172)

AC/DC: New original translite, meet Helen! (New March run)

By Aurich

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
DSCN2462.JPG
9200.1.jpg
20141216_223216.jpg
image-396.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6004.jpg
acdcHelen.jpg
image.jpg
20150204_082537.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0588.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.
#1251 9 years ago

I would take another set of playfield decals if you do another run.

#1252 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, in theory the following people have some interest, but I don't know if they still do:
sox613
sturner
nudgefree
forensicd
Quantum
MapleSyrup
TecumsehPlissken
bobWeir
murtro
whitey

Ready when you are!

#1253 9 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I already bought one from you a few weeks ago, just in case you need a head count!

Oh right, I think you took my last one actually. Thanks, took you off the list.

#1254 9 years ago

She's well recommended guys, it's a lovely job by Aurich.

I finally installed Helen and the custom light kit over the weekend!

The wife hates it, which I'm seeing as a bonus

acdcHelen.jpgacdcHelen.jpg
#1255 9 years ago

Put me down for the apron cards as well.

#1256 9 years ago

Those PF decals should be bought by premium owners too. That lower PF is ugly as sin and with a little work you can make it oh so pretty. Lights don't line up with anything but I really don't care about that. They are only on in attract mode and for a couple of seconds in gameplay.

I wasn't the first with the idea as I saw someone else do this to there. I just don't recall their name to give them credit for being the pioneer. Took a couple of hours to install it as you have to disassemble the mini playfield but I think it is worth it.

HIGHLY recommend this for PRem/LE owners too.

IMG_6002.jpgIMG_6002.jpg

IMG_6004.jpgIMG_6004.jpg

#1257 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Those PF decals should be bought by premium owners too. That lower PF is ugly as sin and with a little work you can make it oh so pretty. Lights don't line up with anything but I really don't care about that. They are only on in attract mode and for a couple of seconds in gameplay.
I wasn't the first with the idea as I saw someone else do this to there. I just don't recall their name to give them credit for being the pioneer. Took a couple of hours to install it as you have to disassemble the mini playfield but I think it is worth it.
HIGHLY recommend this for PRem/LE owners too.

Would you mind guiding me towards dissembling the lower mini PF. I took a look underneath and it looks daunting. Just two hours?

#1258 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern has Luci, and I love what they’re doing. By all means go buy it if you want one! If you’ve already got an AC/DC and want a hot devil girl of your own, then meet Helen.

BTW, the proper name for your devil girl should be "Hellen".
Which cannot be copyrighted as it's the actual name of my cousin.

#1259 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Would you mind guiding me towards dissembling the lower mini PF. I took a look underneath and it looks daunting. Just two hours?

It looks bad but it's not to tough. You only need to remove items that are on the top of the playfield. Basically:
- Each of the 3 switches - 2 screws and pull it through the bottom of the PF. Great time to put some target splints on at least the outside 2 to keep them from rubbing the rubbers later on.
- 8 post. 4 screw into the PF via wood type screws (the horns and the top two post for the plastic above the switches). The other 4 post are held in via a nut under the playfield.
- The flipper bats. No need to remove the full flippers, at least I didn't.
- the guide rails. There are 3 separate ones. The large top one is held in by (I think 6 mounts) couple of them are just screws into the wood and a couple go through the playfield and are held by a nut underneath. The two lower guides around the flippers. I don't remember exactly how these mounted but one of them had a bolt and just pushed in on the other side.

Just take your time and you'll be fine. Not real hard but took some time as I was trying not to scratch anything up in the process. The decals are not a perfect fit but once installed you don't really notice where it's a bit short (at the top).

#1260 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

BTW, the proper name for your devil girl should be "Hellen".
Which cannot be copyrighted as it's the actual name of my cousin.

Haha, some people still bug me about that, the double els. It just felt too on the nose I guess!

#1261 9 years ago

LOCK ME IN for a PF Decal & Translite if you go round again please. Cheers

#1262 9 years ago
Quoted from carbonROD:

LOCK ME IN for a PF Decal & Translite if you go round again please. Cheers

Can do. I just got a new order of Star Trek in that I haven't even had a chance to unbox because I'm trying to finish this Metallica hammer project. Let me get the hammers out the door, let the Star Trek people know I have their orders ready for payment, and then I'll PM everyone on my ACDC list and see who all is still in so I can make an order.

3 weeks later
#1263 9 years ago

Okay, sorry for the delay, but I'm going to pull together an ACDC run. I should probably PM everyone still, but here's who I have on my list right now:

sox613
sturner
nudgefree
Quantum
MapleSyrup
TecumsehPlissken
bobWeir
murtro
whitey
TIMEBANDIT
iceman44
Mauikiter
carbonROD
Triumvirat73
trent
pinballcenter59
Jumbosinbad360
NinJaBooT

Not sure who needs playfield decals or who has Premiums, should have made my pre-order system more robust. I learned that with Star Trek, set that one up smarter. Learning things the hard way!

#1264 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, sorry for the delay, but I'm going to pull together an ACDC run

Fantastic!! that's great news , just color Dmd'd it the other night , cant wait to get Helen on there now

#1265 9 years ago

Okay, PM'd everyone on the list.

Aurich

#1266 9 years ago

Aurich, hope you don't mind me shilling my wares.

For those just picking up a Helen package, I'm selling my Helen Laseriffic topper (I picked up the train topper and I have topper OCD). Lights up red with reflective accents. Perfect condition.

$75 shipped

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1267 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Aurich, hope you don't mind me shilling my wares.

Nope, don't mind at all.

#1268 9 years ago

if you do decals let me know, mine didn't survive

20141216_223216.jpg20141216_223216.jpg

#1269 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

20141216_223216.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I'll definitely do at least a small run of more decals. Was that routed or home use? Never actually seen one worn, let alone like that.

#1270 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

20141216_223216.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Survive what? Rubbing with sandpaper?
Mine still looks pretty much perfect, after hundreds of games. Only a couple small white specs where there are defects in the playfield beneath (crap in the clear coat).

#1271 9 years ago

Yikes! Mine still looks perfect 1 year later.

#1272 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Survive what? Rubbing with sandpaper?
Mine still looks pretty much perfect, after hundreds of games. Only a couple small white specs where there are defects in the playfield beneath (crap in the clear coat).

I'm not saying that this one had this happen, but I've seen other decal threads (I think it was the Metallic coffin decal one) where people novused their decal.

Some people think of Novus like wax, and forget it's actually an abrasive.

#1273 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not saying that this one had this happen, but I've seen other decal threads (I think it was the Metallic coffin decal one) where people novused their decal.
Some people think of Novus like wax, and forget it's actually an abrasive.

You have to be careful waxing the Helen decal too, at least on the first coat. Some of the ink will come off, but not enough to change the appearance.

#1274 9 years ago

no wax no novus, this was on location... maybe 800 plays or so

#1275 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

no wax no novus, this was on location... maybe 800 plays or so

Interesting! Maybe for location it needs to be mylared?

I put you on my list. Do you still have the other two designs? Could swap them.

#1276 9 years ago

gave them away to friends with AC/DC machines

everyone loves Helen, we even had people complain at the arcade "what the heck is that face on the playfield, what happened to the chick??" lol

I think if I can locate a sheet of mylar or an AC/DC mylar protector it would make sense to cover the decal with it for location use

the spinner decal is surviving without issue though

#1277 9 years ago

The problem there has to be damaged pinballs.

#1278 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

The problem there has to be damaged pinballs.

we use brand new "ooohhshiny" balls from pinball life and change them out every 6 months or so

#1279 9 years ago

This really is the best mod I've ever seen makes Acdc look even more awesome, and I owned a TZ with dozens of mods! Looking forward to receiving my order in the future.

#1280 9 years ago
Quoted from Jumbosinbad360:

This really is the best mod I've ever seen makes Acdc look even more awesome, and I owned a TZ with dozens of mods! Looking forward to receiving my order in the future.

could not agree more

the playfield overlay and translight made a great playing game a great looking game!

#1281 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

we use brand new "ooohhshiny" balls from pinball life and change them out every 6 months or so

Then clearly that is not often enough for that game. Take a good look at the balls when you replace them and see if they look nicked up.

#1282 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Then clearly that is not often enough for that game. Take a good look at the balls when you replace them and see if they look nicked up.

the balls were replaced when I installed the decals, so the balls and decals only had a couple hundred plays

what do you want to question next??

#1283 9 years ago

Guys, no need to fight. When I did the decals I tested them as best I could, but obviously they're still just stickers, and on a routed pin they're taking some abuse. It's one reason I sold them as a 3 pack, so that if you had any trouble you'd have backup. The other reason being so you could pick your look of course, but hey, fun to switch it up, right?

I only want people to be happy. If there's anything I can do to help I'm available. I could provide a vector file for cutting a piece of mylar that's slightly bigger than the decal maybe. Maybe someone with a decal cutting machine could try cutting one?

#1284 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

the balls were replaced when I installed the decals, so the balls and decals only had a couple hundred plays
what do you want to question next??

I don't see why you seem to be in a huff about this.... I'm just pointing out that there are others out there that have hundreds of plays on these decals and aren't seeing the kind of damage you've shown. So there has to be something different about your machine. You can try to figure that out, or you can replace your decal every couple hundred plays. Good day.

#1285 9 years ago

Aurich - did the decals have lamination on them? I don't recall if it did or not but that might help with wear concerns if they didn't. For some reason I thought they did.

Prem/LE owners - The decal looks great (IMHO of course) on our mini playfields. Couple hours of work but well worth it to cover that thing up. See pics of it installed above

#1286 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Aurich - did the decals have lamination on them? I don't recall if it did or not but that might help with wear concerns if they didn't. For some reason I thought they did.

No. My Star Trek ones do, but with ACDC I was trying to keep them as thin as possible to avoid messing with the ball. They're 3 mils thick, that was as thin as I could go.

#1287 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I don't see why you seem to be in a huff about this.... I'm just pointing out that there are others out there that have hundreds of plays on these decals and aren't seeing the kind of damage you've shown. So there has to be something different about your machine. You can try to figure that out, or you can replace your decal every couple hundred plays. Good day.

I am not in a huff? who is fighting??

like I said, this machine was ON LOCATION... so it was being played every day, maybe 800~1000 or so plays before it got to that point, at 5 balls per play that's 4000~5000 balls flying around... I am not upset or surprised the decal died, pinballs are quite harsh on pretty much everything...

just looking forward to being able to purchase more... MOAR DECALS

seriously I can't play the machine, the dudes face messes with my head lol

#1288 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No. My Star Trek ones do, but with ACDC I was trying to keep them as thin as possible to avoid messing with the ball. They're 3 mils thick, that was as thin as I could go.

Forgot about that and where you were trying to find that happy medium of thick enough to cover the face and not think enough to effect the ball. You think something like this would help protect it? I doubt mine will ever be an issue but I was just trying to think of something to help those that would put it on route.

This stuff is flexible so it wouldn't flake off and could actually help with keeping the ink from coming off while waxing.
9200.1.jpg9200.1.jpg

#1289 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

I got you brother, so don't stress a thing.

#1290 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

I am not in a huff? who is fighting??

Aurich told us we were fighting....

I'm with you on buying more decals. I'd love to pick up some spares, as I know it's going to need to be replaced at some point. Can't go back to looking at that ugly mug after having Helen on there!

#1291 9 years ago

Aurich, are these mylar coated? If not, maybe flecom could purchase a sheet of mylar, lay it over the Hellen decal, cut it to size, and then apply it to Hellen?

#1292 9 years ago

^^ In a home environment, you don't need Mylar. I bought the first round of Helen decals and it's been on my game for almost a year. Keep it clean with Novus 1, buy quality balls, and there shouldn't be any issues.

If you have any wear after a few years, you'll have 2 more decals to use.

#1293 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Aurich, are these mylar coated? If not, maybe flecom could purchase a sheet of mylar, lay it over the Hellen decal, cut it to size, and then apply it to Hellen?

it was more of an experiment to see if they would survive on location, mylar would be an option to try and extend their life... but it would be better to get a playfield mylar and then just put it on when the decal is already on to minimize the "bump" from the balls rolling on/off the mylar/decal area

#1294 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

it was more of an experiment to see if they would survive on location, mylar would be an option to try and extend their life... but it would be better to get a playfield mylar and then just put it on when the decal is already on to minimize the "bump" from the balls rolling on/off the mylar/decal area

Just tell your customers the boobs are for looking at, not touching.

#1295 9 years ago

could not disagree more

#1296 9 years ago

I just emailed my printer the ACDC order. Will PM everyone on my list when I have them coming in.

I ordered a few extras just in case, so I'll have limited stock.

#1297 9 years ago

Will be some happy people soon enough.

It's to bad you couldn't work out a deal with the printer to allow people to go direct to him and you just get a % of the deal. Would save you so much time and also allow for the one off orders too. Kind of a win win but I definitely understand what you are having to do. We need you spending more time drawing and less time processing

#1298 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Will be some happy people soon enough.
It's to bad you couldn't work out a deal with the printer to allow people to go direct to him and you just get a % of the deal. Would save you so much time and also allow for the one off orders too. Kind of a win win but I definitely understand what you are having to do. We need you spending more time drawing and less time processing

They're just not set up to handle orders. And as much as it's a pain for me, it keeps me in control, I'm responsible for any issues, I take care of people or answer questions. All for the best in the end.

I've got this Metallica project I'm doing up on my Wacom screen next to me right now, was just cleaning up some lines while on speaker phone during a conference call. Multitasking like a boss!

#1299 9 years ago

Saw this and figured I'd chime in.. The pic here is a picture of THE FIRST Hellen installed in an ACDC machine. I got the prototype sheet back before all 3 designs were finished helping Aurich size these up and play test. Mine is in really good shape. Has a few nicks at the leading edge (which may be sharpieable with some tape and a sharpie) Anyway.. in person I can't even see the couple of other nicks that are elsewhere on the decal. Hard to believe she has been on there for almost 1 year, but tell you what.. I think Hellen saved me in getting rid of my ACDC due to Angus's face... that and having a few song changes done. Somewhere around here I still have the original Hellen decal that was just a smidge on small side, but that decal was only on for a couple of weeks before this finalized shattered glass one was installed. I have probably 150-200 plays on it I'm guessing in the past year. I wouldn't mind possibly having a set of 3 of the same graphic just because this one was my favorite and I know eventually from the above pic that one day it will wear out.
DSCN2462.JPGDSCN2462.JPG

#1300 9 years ago

I prefer Angus' face.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

16,500 (Firm)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-new-original-translite-meet-helen/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.