(Topic ID: 78172)

AC/DC: New original translite, meet Helen! (New March run)

By Aurich

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
DSCN2462.JPG
9200.1.jpg
20141216_223216.jpg
image-396.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6004.jpg
acdcHelen.jpg
image.jpg
20150204_082537.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0588.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bub2010.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#177 10 years ago

I like the original and shattered glass. So is this decal something that would be more of a window tint style application where you use a soap/water solution and squeegee it on or a permanent sticker?

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Questions which was already asked a few times, but never answered. Will there also be a topless version of the decals?

That was asked yesterday and his answer was no.

#277 10 years ago

Aurich I REALLY like how you zoomed the middle one to mostly fill the outline! I like them all, but now having seen the new zoomed one it is a close race for my favorite being shattered glass and the full window fill.

#280 10 years ago

I printed out the apron cards with a pretty good color laserjet today on 2 different kinds of photo paper and plain paper... they look REALLY good. My personal preference is the less glossy paper simply because the factory cards aren't shiny looking and the photo paper and photo paper mode naturally prints higher quality than just plain paper mode. The printer was an HP Laserjet Professional CM1410 FWIW.

#288 10 years ago

Just took some pics of the 3 stocks I used for the cards... after reviewing them under better light I actually like the more glossy paper better.. somehow this cheap ass glossy paper that I bought 15 years ago looks incredible... the flatter more matte looking paper shows a bit more print gradiation as opposed to the gloss stuff and while plain paper looks good if you have no other option... IMO the glossy looks 3x better if you are REALLY looking close. The left is plain paper.... middle.... photo paper that has a shine, but seems to print more matte.... right... gloss paper that looks a bit more glossy... look at the flash bust on the individual ones and you can tell.

#289 10 years ago

DSCN0850.JPGDSCN0850.JPG
REGULAR PAPER

DSCN0853.JPGDSCN0853.JPG

GOOD GLOSSY PAPER

DSCN0851.JPGDSCN0851.JPG

SO SO GLOSSY PAPER

DSCN0852.JPGDSCN0852.JPG

#292 10 years ago

Thanks! The good glossy print (which I have now labeled in the photos) almost appears vinyl like... REALLY nice and highly suggested for the best quality.

#303 10 years ago

Those decals look way better than the stock ones, but I do agree that a small stripper pole at the biggest ends of the triangle with her next to or wrapped around it would be killer.

Had a chance to exacto cut out those cards and on the machine they look awesome! They'll have to have a chance to settle down a bit because right now they are bulging out toward the glass a bit just because the fact that they are brand new and thicker stock than original is why they were flexing outward. The size was dead on compared to the factory ones... Can't wait to see it with the Angus-be-gone.

DSCN0860.JPGDSCN0860.JPG

#333 10 years ago

Ok guys... just got her in the house and lemme tell you I couldn't get her "undressed" fast enough ....... Here is the first picture of Helen installed on a real AC/DC Pro! Might need to make a very minor adjustment, but she instantly this changes the look of the machine.

DSCN0875.jpgDSCN0875.jpg

#376 10 years ago

Seems to me that the lower playfield inserts remind me of an ironman like face... a robot face would fit in nicely, but unfortunately unless you cover them up completely those are always gonna look strange... except like I said... some sort of robot face or something.

#387 10 years ago

I didn't have an issue with getting any bubbles underneath it, but I do build virtual pins and apply artwork to the sides.. so I am used to dealing with pretty big panels worth of artwork and do have some experience here. The smaller the graphic though the easier it is to do without bubbles.

What is somewhat hard is the fact that you have to line it up just right... and there aren't many horizontal or vertical reference points. It took me a couple of peel ups in order to get it the way you see it and it is just a smidge off and the decal is just ever so slightly larger than it needs to be in this beta test.

As far as the thickness... I haven't seen it effect ball travel at all.

#411 10 years ago

For the past few days I've had the decal on. No ball deflection and you can't literally see through it,....as in transparent..... What you CAN see is the ridges in the Angus face artwork.

A playfield isn't 100% flat because the art is laid down in layers and the clear coat is not leveled.....so.... You can somewhat see the irregularities under the surface. You don't really notice when playing it or when the machine is off, but pending the brightness of your machine you may notice the artwork lines under the decal more or less.

For reference mine has coin taker non-ghosting LED's and the 13 LED lightning bolt towers....so there is a LOT of light. With room lighting I'd say the brighter the room the less you see it. In a dark room you see it as much as a medium to low lit room. I do think that a bright machine played in the dark with invisiglass would show it up the most.

I'll post up a couple of the "bad" pics here in a bit.

#416 10 years ago

Heh...Aurich...yea...maybe if we had chatted on the phone it would have been more clear what I meant. Dang...still forgot to post those pics. You can if you have them Aurich...I'm out and about at the moment. Those pics pretty accurately depict it. Later maybe I will take an HD video and post it up on YouTube.

#422 10 years ago

Had a chance to make a video this morning. Everyone take a look and see what you think. It is maybe a tad out of focus at points, but I took the video with the glass on and I think that might have caused a bit of the focus to be off. Either way.. it is a good representation of what it looks like in person. It seemed much easier to capture it "as I see it" in person with a moving video as opposed to stills. I think anyone that wants one watch this video and if what you see here is ok with you then order away! I'm a pretty picky person and a bit OCD about neatness and perfection and the pros of this decal out weigh the con of the slight lines you do see. There is a chance that the "shattered glass" looking one might break it up a bit more and possibly be even less noticeable with all of the extra graphic lines distracting from what is beneath also. One quick note.. for a frame of reference looks at the triple pic Aurich posted with the Angus face on the left and the 2 Helen shots to the right. If you just hover your mouse over or use a piece of paper and move to the right you can see where Angus's features would appear once she is applied. I watch a lot of Tattoo shows and realized that the best way to describe this look is how a tattoo coverup looks like. Overall a good coverup you can't literally see through to the old material, but the person's skin has a bit of scarring or slight raised spots from where the previous tattoo was and under the wrong angle of light you can still see some of the stuff that is under it showing through.. even if it is slight. Here is the video....

#431 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think the artwork is fantastic, the only problem I have with it is the contrasting colors between the decal and the rest of the playfield. It doesn't look natural to me. It's goes from a light orange to a red without a smooth transition. Just my opinion and no knock to the product I'm sure many will be happy, Aurich does great work.

Take a look a page or 2 back where I took a full table shot... it looks great from a normal situation... The pics that are super close up with the flash blasting it do make the colors from the playfield and sticker look more different than they do when just normally playing/viewing it under a normal amount of light.

#469 10 years ago

I'd say flattered....you don't see people modding Austin Powers now do you? Anything that is good can get better and anything that sucks is like polishing a turd eh? Hell even Stern decided to do their own version. I bet they were working on Lucy prolly 6 months ago, unbeknownst to either party they were working on a similar idea to spice it up.

1 week later
#530 10 years ago

Drumroll please.... Here is a video first of the backbox and then pics to follow.. I hate how the attach feature on here wigs out. Helen in the center is still the one I've had there for the past 2 weeks or so, but the difference between her and the revised "full size" Helen is pretty small. Here is the everything else and I will post some pics of the final middle decal when I get a chance. Still debating "breakout" over the full sized head which is most similar to the one I have on there now.

#532 10 years ago

DSCN0896.JPGDSCN0896.JPGDSCN0899.JPGDSCN0899.JPG

#533 10 years ago

DSCN0912.JPGDSCN0912.JPG

#534 10 years ago

DSCN0900.JPGDSCN0900.JPG

#535 10 years ago

DSCN0906.jpgDSCN0906.jpgDSCN0910.JPGDSCN0910.JPG

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks Scott!
Keep in mind with the above video obviously that kit wasn't designed to match the lights behind Helen properly. Someone is building a kit to do just that already.

Yea.. I heard that before.. I can only imagine.. strobe boobs. heh.. Actually with the layout they have behind the panel I'm not so sure I can't make a custom program for this although the actual locations of the LED's I believe may be different for each kit. Here is what mine looks like.

DSCN0897.JPGDSCN0897.JPG

#540 10 years ago

Just applied the "breakout" Helen.. and it looks PHENOMENAL!! Other good news.. laying this one down was even easier than the original due to being a bit bigger.

Here is a pic just after removing prototype Helen....

DSCN0913.jpgDSCN0913.jpg

#541 10 years ago

Here is one after the final application.

DSCN0914.jpgDSCN0914.jpg

#543 10 years ago

Just a couple of notes.. the camera shots while they are very good overall.. some were taken with a flash and some not to help show the overall look. The translite pics were with no flash and the video is actually more accurate to what it looks like in real life. The white does appear a bit darker in person as well as the red mode. If you compare the video to the corresponding modes... you can see the difference between video to photo.

All pics of this run were taken with the glass off.

The prototype model peeled right off and I didn't even really rumple the bottom corner where I picked at it to peel her back. I would not doubt that if that decal needed to be installed again it would go on again fine.

This is indeed a bad ass mod... and yes if you are reading this you need one.

Aurich had some extra spinner and apron triangles that were sent my way. I will be taking those to the Ohio Pinball show for anyone that is interested. The only extra Helens I have are the other 2 styles and the proto, but I'm likely going to keep those to myself.

// Error: Image 190441 not found //
#546 10 years ago

You mean like from across a room or something turbo? I have one shot from the standing position showing the full table and translite.

#550 10 years ago

Here is a far back shot... and in this pic it definitely looks more washed out.

DSCN0917.jpgDSCN0917.jpg

#552 10 years ago

Nice on the shooter rod. Here is another pic... aparently taking translite photos it is best to use the flash as to not force the camera to overexpose / wash it out. This right here is almost exactly what it looks like in person color wise. I'd say 95% accurate... and FWIW that is using the "RED" configuration on the cointaker LED setup... basically white in the middle and red in the corners with the lower middle area turned off. Refer back to the pics of the naked backbox if you are wondering what I'm talking about.

DSCN0919.jpgDSCN0919.jpg

#584 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Anyone else know how these LED boards go into this game with that big ass Bridge rectifier heat sink in the way?
Apparently LOTR and TF do not have this. Damn thing sticks out way beyond what the threaded screw mounts can even go.

I've never taken mine off. It was on there when I got it, but all that holds the backbox LED board in place is a couple of long threaded bolts and wing nuts... least that is how mine is. Also.. I think in my coin tray I have a part of what helped power up the old flourescent tube... seems like it may have been some sort of ballast capacitor or something.

#594 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Any tips or tricks on applying the center play field overlay ?
Since you have applied and removed them any comment you want to share ?
I plan on cleaning with Novus and debating wet or dry application.

I would just soap and water clean the area where the decal is going.... No sense in giving it more chance of potentially peeling up if it can't stick as well.

Line up the very bottom line and roll it up toward the horns. I started right on the line and it worked out great.

I actually was able to peel up the prototype with very little wrinkling....could prolly be re-applied...d.just to give you an idea of how they come off.

I put mine on dry and honestly unless using a tack solution trying to put on wet would likely not stick down well at all....this isn't like putting on window tint....

I use a t-shirt ink squeegee roller for vinyl and decals. I'd suggest rolling on lightly several times and then go arounfpd the very edges pressing down pretty hard to ensure the edges are down good. Don't "crush over" the rest of the graphic though....the harder you press....the more pronounced the angus art you are covering up will likely show through.

I find the shattered glass one hides angus's raised art lines better than the all face Helen.... IMO

I hope that helps.

#595 10 years ago

I gotta say... originally when I heard of the Helen package I wasn't sure how "whole hog" I'd like to see the machine transformed, but having overhauled it completely with decals I must say... I love it. Since installing the graphics I've bested my high scores over and over again. I've had recently a 60 million and my best just this past week at 77 million!

#601 10 years ago

I'd take mine to the Ohio show, but she's not going anywhere.

#620 10 years ago

I will be bringing some Helens (aka the Angus patch) to the Ohio Show which starts today! After having the shattered glass one on my machine for a couple of weeks.... it is my favorite and I don't ever see removing it so I will have the extra couple I have plus the prototype for sale at our booth. The booth will have tons of arcade cocktail machines, stand up machines and a couple of smaller virtual pinballs.

I have the apron decals, spinner decals, and 3 helen faces.... one that shows her body, one that is just a face, and the proto which is almost identical to the one that is all face. I'm probably going to just sell them each individually with the apron decal and spinner set for like $20. I'd let the proto with apron and spinners go for $15.

I'll only have those 3 Helens... I do have extra apron decals and spinner decals. I believe I have 3 or 4 extra sets of those beyond the Angus Patches.

Hope to see some of you at the show! I'll be wearing a gray and neon green/yellow hat and Tye Dye shirt Thursday and likely Friday. (makes me easy to find)

#640 10 years ago

PM sent

#676 10 years ago

Soo.. a mattress wrap in other words... LOL.

#695 10 years ago

Looks good MadPole... welcome to the club. I'll likely be coming to Louisville also... so might see you down there. I think we are bringing a Playboy, Pinbot, Cyclone and one other pin.

#707 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Anybody else not realize there was a film on it?

I noticed mainly because when I took the old one out that it was so much smoother than it was out of the box... plus I figured that it would have a coating on it just because things like poster holders and other similar things typically have a protective coating on them. Aurich may have told me also, but think I noticed on my own. Looks a lot better with it off.

#850 10 years ago

I'm here at the Louisville arcade expo and I've seen Helen here

#863 10 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Anyone try the helen translite over the normal pro interactive backbox from Cointaker or Pinball refinery?
How does it look?

My backbox which is the first one with it pictured on an actual machine is a standard pro coin taker LED backbox kit.

#900 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Coming soon: Blowup Doll Helen

D'oh LOL!

2 weeks later
#1007 10 years ago

Are you kidding me.. you have FOUR ACDC machines... yipes!

1 week later
#1065 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm curious on how this holds up. Kind of a lot of work to get it on there, and want it to hold with the test of time.

I guess I've had one longer than anyone... although I am on my 2nd one given the fact that I had the prototype on my machine and now have one of the shattered glass ones on. Both decals went on pretty easy and have effected the ball very little if any at all. As far as wear... I think I did see a few small impact marks on her from the ball smashing down on the decal when shooting the cannon shot... something that is just gonna happen given the nature of the game. I never saw the marks until I took it off and out of the game. Current one seems to be holding up good.. I see a bit of black line coming off at the lower edge of the decal... closest to the flippers. I imagine if you want it looking as good as possible buying a multi pack of the same decal might be necessary in order to refresh her every once and awhile. I'm pretty anal about things and it does not bother me.... so prolly won't bother most folks.

Looking forward to the future I might want another couple.

#1071 10 years ago

That is friggan crazy! Out of all the machines to pick out of however many there were there he picked that one. I like how he even said "ACDC Hell ain't a bad place to be" like it is the real title... Wonder if Lucy was there which one he would have featured. Either way... that is awesome... Pinball gets so little recognition in general from the news anyway.. and a super bonus for Aurich getting some extra pseudo promotion from that footage.

11 months later
#1299 9 years ago

Saw this and figured I'd chime in.. The pic here is a picture of THE FIRST Hellen installed in an ACDC machine. I got the prototype sheet back before all 3 designs were finished helping Aurich size these up and play test. Mine is in really good shape. Has a few nicks at the leading edge (which may be sharpieable with some tape and a sharpie) Anyway.. in person I can't even see the couple of other nicks that are elsewhere on the decal. Hard to believe she has been on there for almost 1 year, but tell you what.. I think Hellen saved me in getting rid of my ACDC due to Angus's face... that and having a few song changes done. Somewhere around here I still have the original Hellen decal that was just a smidge on small side, but that decal was only on for a couple of weeks before this finalized shattered glass one was installed. I have probably 150-200 plays on it I'm guessing in the past year. I wouldn't mind possibly having a set of 3 of the same graphic just because this one was my favorite and I know eventually from the above pic that one day it will wear out.
DSCN2462.JPGDSCN2462.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (Firm)
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bub2010.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-new-original-translite-meet-helen?tu=bub2010 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.