IMG_2460 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
loki-hulk-smash-c1aitiiamisa0y1q.gif
DSCF2409[1] (resized).jpg
04B39C1A-0A91-446E-86F9-E63539705B37 (resized).jpeg
ww 2.0 mess (resized).png
WWKit (resized).png
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 11 months ago

#2 11 months ago

#3 11 months ago

Looks fun

#4 11 months ago

I respect the quality of their kits from the Funhouse one, but I can’t get on board with their art or sound or goofy storytelling. I’m sure it’ll be fun tho and whirlwind is an all time classic PF so congrats to those who are excited.

#5 11 months ago

Yeah, really mixed feelings on this. The quality of execution seems there for sure. But the kidde-Foo-Fighters storyline seems... really odd if not perhaps waaaaay too coincidental ("Beef up a red van! Aliens! Area 51! Other random weird stuff!" *ahem* ????). Plus I never felt WW needed more multiballs, personally.

But again, what it is, seems to be well done.

#6 11 months ago

Not sure i like the direction they took...just feels odd to me the way they went about it. I'll make my final judgment once I play it...

#7 11 months ago

I’m excited for Whirlwind owners and glad Pedretti is moving forward (bring on Pinbot!), but the theming is a head-scratcher.

#8 11 months ago

I don't love the art and it looks like it's struggling to find a coherent theme. Funhouse 2.0 was able to play more on the iconic hook of Rudy and this just seems like it's making a classic into something less classic.

I say this as someone who has a Whirlwind who was hoping to see a cool kit for the game.

Also seems to have less than the Funhouse 2.0 kit did for more money.

I'd have to wait and see reviews and ideally play one for a while

#9 11 months ago

I have a Whirlwind and would consider a 2.0 kit but I’m gonna wait to see some gameplay on this one. Would have rather they kept the original overall aesthetics of Whirlwind and just added to it. No need to go full donuts and zombies on us.

#10 11 months ago
giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#11 11 months ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I have a Whirlwind and would consider a 2.0 kit but I’m gonna wait to see some gameplay on this one. Would have rather they kept the original overall aesthetics of Whirlwind and just added to it. No need to go full donuts and zombies on us.

That's what applejuice has been going for in his original project. Slow going but much more authentic IMO.

#12 11 months ago

what will the price be ?

#14 11 months ago

www.pinballremakes.com

WWKit (resized).pngWWKit (resized).png
#15 11 months ago

Whirlwind does not need to be remade/have a 2.0 kit. Its a perfectly fine game as it is. Not trying to bring down the creators on this but this looks cheesy and something the Punny Factory guy would have done. I am sure there will be buyers but I just don't get the allure of these 2.0 kits.

#16 11 months ago

I said it in applejuice's Storm Blasters thread, but exactly 0% of this
ww 2.0 mess (resized).pngww 2.0 mess (resized).png
is saying "WHIRLWIND" to me.

#17 11 months ago

Way too cartoonish

#18 11 months ago

I have funhouse 2.0 and would vouch for pedretti's commitment to quality, code updates, and overall listening to the community, so I'd definitely consider this for my whirlwind. But I wish they would have stuck with the storm theme - there's so much more that could be done with weather and getting to safety. If you want to get wacky, there could be new tech in the van that could allow you to steer storms away from progressively larger cities by quickly shooting cardinal directions.

The animations are similarly cartoony in FH 2.0 but they are well done, and the new modes mostly stick to what's already on the playfield (hotdogs, clowns, ducks). Here, not so much. It's all over the place like a crazy Dialed In.

Applejuice's looks better, but unsure if it'll ever be ready for primetime. with this you can get an upgrade kit now, which is nice. or just wait and see how it really turns out. lol

#19 11 months ago

Looks awful. I love how the trailer is trying to convince me that I’m looking at beautiful art when it looks horrible. Big whiff.

#21 11 months ago

I haven’t been this disappointed since the day Dialed In was announced.

#23 11 months ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I haven’t been this disappointed since the day Dialed In was announced.

and it turned out to be jersey jacks best game to date.

#24 11 months ago

Um. As an owner, no. They should have went with Earthshaker, Whirlwind is too perfect of a game.

#25 11 months ago

Why? You literally could have done something with storm chasing...anything, and this is the route they chose?

I don't have a Whirlwind machine, but even if they paid me to mod it to this Total Chaos kit, I would say no.

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Um. As an owner, no. They should have went with Earthshaker, Whirlwind is too perfect of a game.

Earthshaker doesn't deserve this kind of kiddie treatment.

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from Ryguy80:

Earthshaker doesn't deserve this kind of kiddie treatment.

Fair point. It could be really cool though (if the art department focuses on one thing). Like a 50s theme ala Creature. The layout is there for a killer game.

#28 11 months ago
Quoted from canea:

Applejuice's looks better, but unsure if it'll ever be ready for primetime.

I would doubt that Planetary will allow a competing product.

#29 11 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Agreed. I was just describing a feeling I shared when both were announced.

#30 11 months ago

This blows....

#31 11 months ago

Plants vs Zombies meets Whirlwind? Not for me, but I'm glad there's something for everyone in this hobby.

#32 11 months ago
Quoted from Gman3:

This blows....

Unclear if you're commenting positively or negatively

#33 11 months ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

The layout is there for a killer game.

That's always been my major gripe with Earthshaker. Killer layout, shoots amazing, but the rules don't do the playfield justice. A product of it's time, I guess.

#34 11 months ago

Just keep it simple make a 2.0 DMD version! With color DMD animations that support the existing theme and improve the sound done! I would buy this type of kit all day long!

Rewriting a classic is just the wrong move…
Improving on the existing design is the right one imo…

#35 11 months ago

Really wanted to buy this but this is an easy pass. I dont understand why the license holder would allow it frankly. Just terrible.

#36 11 months ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

Just keep it simple make a 2.0 DMD version! With color DMD animations that support the existing theme and improve the sound done! I would buy this type of kit all day long!
Rewriting a classic is just the wrong move…
Improving on the existing design is the right one imo…

The exception is BOP 2.0 but in this case and FH2.0 …. YES!

#37 11 months ago

Is it possible to play the original game on the new parts if desired? Or is it all or nothing?

#38 11 months ago

Whoa! Whirlwind meets attention deficit disorder..!

This one is a pass for me. But, hopefully there are other Whirlwind owners that enjoy the heck out of it!

#39 11 months ago

I saw this announcement today and before watching the video I was excited like I needed to get this immediately! Then I watched the video…..what the hell?! How can you ditch the storm theme for this?! What a crazy choice. I would have been a buyer keeping with the theme but no way this way.

I really liked what Applejuice is doing and was very interested in that until it no longer had the licensing associated with it. Luckily Whirlwind is a great game as is already.

#40 11 months ago

This looks like they used Whirlwind simply as a shell to house a whole different game. Would have preferred they stuck with weather for all the theming.

Also, having ads enabled on your youtube promo is pretty shitty.

#41 11 months ago

I for one am excited it looks so bad and I don't need to find $2400

#42 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

This looks like they used Whirlwind simply as a shell to house a whole different game. Would have preferred they stuck with weather for all the theming.

Someone compared it to a wholesale retheme and yeah, if you look at the translite it really is more "Science dude battles all manner of whack attacking from all directions"... the stormcloud itself is but one of many characters, himself reduced to a corner. (Which is more than a little odd because the STORM is the literal tie-in to the functional topper, which is arguably THE main "toy" of the game! How would plants and scarecrows and Area51 and... shitmonsters... make use of that?)

In fairness, if you really consider Whirlwind's pf art, it almost is sort of generic: just plain colored areas, lines, and a van. Yes, the Storm envelops the spinners but even those use generic art stickers. So maybe a new full plastic set (and spinner stickers?) to bring the 2.0 characters into display (and maybe a better name like "Whirlwind: Psychic Apocalypse" that downplays a focus on storms) would have improve the overall integration. Still a mess, but I can almost see what they were going for. Just falls well short of the goal IMO.

Quoted from nocreditdot:

Is it possible to play the original game on the new parts if desired? Or is it all or nothing?

According to Pedretti, the original version/code is selectable. That might be the sole advantage over Applejuice's version, which is fully locked to his code with no way to go back short of swapping the boardsets and hardware back.

#43 11 months ago

Thanks for selling my whirlwind for me

#44 11 months ago

Ghastly, unneeded, unwanted...stick to upgrading shitty machines not perfect ones.

#45 11 months ago

Yuck..

#46 11 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

By a country mile.

#47 11 months ago

Thing is, they could have kept the storm theme while still introducing a lot of extra fluff, had they written their story correctly.

A massive storm of the century is blasting across the states. Guy in van is chasing it eastward, has crazy invention in back of van that can neuter the storm. The 8 modes are written around various post-storm disasters van-guy comes across while chasing. Main multiball can be about a sudden derecho popup storm occurring. Wiz mode is catching and killing the big storm.

#48 11 months ago

Hoping for an Earthshaker upgrade ,but pray they keep it in line with the original theme.

#49 11 months ago

I was really hoping to like this.

#50 11 months ago

Whirlwind Total Chaos looks wonderfully fun and I've ordered one.

The original Whirlwind is an absolute classic but the good news is that, if you install this expansion, you can easily toggle back to the original if you want to enjoy the original game play.

It is nice to see so many elements from the original back glass art being incorporated into the new game play, such as Mr. Storm Blaster and his red van, the Kansas crop fields, the ridiculous chickens, and of course everyone's favorite giant personified storm cloud throwing lightning and tornadoes.

The preview video appears to show Mr. Storm Blaster giving weather reports. I wonder if this will tie-in to the compass targets and some of the original call-outs for low and high pressure jets.

I do love the idea of a boss fight with the storm cloud. There are a lot of other games now where you "fight" an enemy. Godzilla comes to mind, as does Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness. I find it motivational as a player to have this type of battle, because I can unlock new animations and sounds. It is also fun as an audience to see this.

The original FunHouse is my favorite machine, but I own and thoroughly enjoy Rudy's Nightmare from Pedretti. Total Chaos looks very similar and I expect it to have the same quality and charismatic absurdity that Rudy's Nightmare brought to the table. I do love the little bit of absurdity that sneaks into so many pinball machines - such as some of my other favorites, Rick & Morty, Red & Ted's Road Show, etc.!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-kit-announced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.