IMG_2460 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
loki-hulk-smash-c1aitiiamisa0y1q.gif
DSCF2409[1] (resized).jpg
04B39C1A-0A91-446E-86F9-E63539705B37 (resized).jpeg
ww 2.0 mess (resized).png
WWKit (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 months ago

Yeah, really mixed feelings on this. The quality of execution seems there for sure. But the kidde-Foo-Fighters storyline seems... really odd if not perhaps waaaaay too coincidental ("Beef up a red van! Aliens! Area 51! Other random weird stuff!" *ahem* ????). Plus I never felt WW needed more multiballs, personally.

But again, what it is, seems to be well done.

#11 11 months ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I have a Whirlwind and would consider a 2.0 kit but I’m gonna wait to see some gameplay on this one. Would have rather they kept the original overall aesthetics of Whirlwind and just added to it. No need to go full donuts and zombies on us.

That's what applejuice has been going for in his original project. Slow going but much more authentic IMO.

#42 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

This looks like they used Whirlwind simply as a shell to house a whole different game. Would have preferred they stuck with weather for all the theming.

Someone compared it to a wholesale retheme and yeah, if you look at the translite it really is more "Science dude battles all manner of whack attacking from all directions"... the stormcloud itself is but one of many characters, himself reduced to a corner. (Which is more than a little odd because the STORM is the literal tie-in to the functional topper, which is arguably THE main "toy" of the game! How would plants and scarecrows and Area51 and... shitmonsters... make use of that?)

In fairness, if you really consider Whirlwind's pf art, it almost is sort of generic: just plain colored areas, lines, and a van. Yes, the Storm envelops the spinners but even those use generic art stickers. So maybe a new full plastic set (and spinner stickers?) to bring the 2.0 characters into display (and maybe a better name like "Whirlwind: Psychic Apocalypse" that downplays a focus on storms) would have improve the overall integration. Still a mess, but I can almost see what they were going for. Just falls well short of the goal IMO.

Quoted from nocreditdot:

Is it possible to play the original game on the new parts if desired? Or is it all or nothing?

According to Pedretti, the original version/code is selectable. That might be the sole advantage over Applejuice's version, which is fully locked to his code with no way to go back short of swapping the boardsets and hardware back.

3 weeks later
#130 11 months ago

I applaud the effort, I really really do. Some clever and even funny ideas in here!

But - and this is my subjective opinion: the fact this is "a NEW and different game / and you can still play the original if you want" does NOT hide that this NEW game seems like a horribly disjointed and random mess. I mean the skill shot - the very first scene in the game! - opens the setting in The Old West?! Fer chrissakes what is this, a Cactus Canyon homage that time travels to Area51? Does the tornado do that? Did they have vans in the old west? Or phone zombies?

I do like some of the new rule ideas: the different skill shots; the use of drops; better rewards for tolls and scoops. But in actual gameplay most of it seems spammy. Like the combined individual elements of original WW (roving targets, single drop, skyway ramps) were broken out into single-mode focus which I fear could get boring. I mean the original one is arguably more chaotic since you do all of that combined in normal play. Breaking objectives into exclusive "modes" is not necessarily better IMO.

Adding to concern, there is no tension in the new game! At its core the theme is about TORNADOES which means tension and anxiety and danger and suspense: from music and effects to callouts, the original does a SUPERB job with this, while layering in some fun humor and relief. Now maybe the new game is supposed to be more than just tornadoes.... but the simple flash animations of tornadoes spinning in stasis in some modes, along with slow, plodding music diddies in others, and dumb kiddie sound effects, just KILL the tension for me. They most certainly do not convey "danger" or "chaos" let alone "total".

So even considering it as "a new game that is NOT Whirlwind": despite reasonably good concepts and ideas, the execution falls flat. And to be fair it's exceptionally difficult to see it as "only a new game" when it literally trades on the name "Whirlwind" for its title, along with storm clouds, before adding extra "chaos" and such.... which only makes the flat gameplay, animations, and music even more disappointing.

As others have said, a more obvious narrative story line to connect everything might help greatly. I would argue this is desperately needed. Maybe the animations and music/effects could improve with time. I appreciate the ideas and effort that clearly went in to this and don't wish to poop on the talent. But as it stands I must constructively express why I'm rather disappointed in the outcome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-kit-announced?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.