IMG_2460 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2459 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2458 (resized).jpeg
loki-hulk-smash-c1aitiiamisa0y1q.gif
DSCF2409[1] (resized).jpg
04B39C1A-0A91-446E-86F9-E63539705B37 (resized).jpeg
ww 2.0 mess (resized).png
WWKit (resized).png
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 1 year ago

Here is some casual gameplay for you. Enjoy!

#102 1 year ago

Great video, well done people.

This looks a great addition for an added game.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Here is some casual gameplay for you. Enjoy!

Multiball with ball save on a machine without an autoplunger is an interesting choice.

EDIT: Later in the video, the game is autoplunging. Does the kit include an autoplunger install?

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Multiball with ball save on a machine without an autoplunger is an interesting choice.
EDIT: Later in the video, the game is autoplunging. Does the kit include an autoplunger install?

I seem to manage on Sword of Rage on the catapult ball save.

#106 1 year ago

You're mistaken. He plunges every time.

This looks..... I don’t wanna be a downer, but it looks dumb.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I heard that they are already working on an auto-launcher for it (like the Funhouse 2.0 kit), and that those will be available in the near future for purchase.

#108 1 year ago

Posting to keep up with this thread. I definitely would like to have this.

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Like every video game i've ever seen.

But horses for courses. Some people like video games and arcades for some reason.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Like every video game i've ever seen.
But horses for courses. Some people like video games and arcades for some reason.

You're missing out man. Like what.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You're missing out man. Like what.

I'm not missing out on anything. I have them here for kids to play. I just don't play them because i think they are fucking stupid.

The difference is, i don't go into an arcade thread and say so.....

DSCF2409[1] (resized).jpgDSCF2409[1] (resized).jpg

#112 1 year ago

Yup, I'm definitely out. Glad people are doing different things but this IS NOT Whirlwind 2.0. It's a totally different game.

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Yup, I'm definitely out. Glad people are doing different things but this IS NOT Whirlwind 2.0. It's a totally different game.

It is.

Say's it right there in the thread title.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I'm not missing out on anything. I have them here for kids to play. I just don't play them because i think they are fucking stupid.
The difference is, i don't go into an arcade thread and say so.....
[quoted image]

Explains why you don't like them. Play an actual video game man. Have you played Witcher 3? Zelda? Doom 2016? Control? You are missing out on some fun ass adventures.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Explains why you don't like them. Play an actual video game man. Have you played Witcher 3? Zelda? Doom 2016? Control? You are missing out on some fun ass adventures.

You just can't conceive that others are different huh?

Amazing.

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

You just can't conceive that others are different huh?
Amazing.

Just trying to help you out. No need to to be a giant turd. Fine, don't have fun. See if I care.

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

That is what they were shooting for, a different game.

Great thing about it is you can also play the old/real whirlwind with the choice of a button on boot up. You can chose Whirlwind in all its glory or choose Total Chaos as a new style game.

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Just trying to help you out. No need to to be a giant turd. Fine, don't have fun. See if I care.

Thank you for enriching my life.

Have a nice day.

#119 1 year ago

All arcade games are video games, but not all video games are arcade games. Arcade games do suck. Yes, I know some people like them and I also wonder why.

#120 1 year ago

So... $2200 for the 2.0 kit. Looks like it replaces the stock sound board, cpu board, and display. How much would the stuff you are taking out sell for? Would these bring $700 reducing the price to $1500 for known good boards? $1500 for the ability to play 2 machines instead of 1 sounds like a pretty decent deal. I'm looking forward to what Cary Hardy has to say.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... $2200 for the 2.0 kit. Looks like it replaces the stock sound board, cpu board, and display. How much would the stuff you are taking out sell for? Would these bring $700 reducing the price to $1500 for known good boards? $1500 for the ability to play 2 machines instead of 1 sounds like a pretty decent deal. I'm looking forward to what Cary Hardy has to say.

Maybe this has already been answered but are there any enhancements to the original game's sound with the new sound board? I don't mean like different sound FX and stuff I mean like maybe stereo sound, higher bitrate, or more power being sent to the speakers?

#122 1 year ago

I had that same idea selling off the boards to offset the cost. Also the blue led display I put in I could sell too. The only downside would be if you wanted to revert it to stock.

#123 1 year ago

Gameplay of hit the scoop and pick one of several weird, disconnected, TOTALLY EXTREME modes feels like a miss. Most of the mode rules also look very basic.

I like the idea of making the bank of three drop targets more important to gameplay.

The marketing materials presented an outline of a story, but that doesn't appear to be present in the game. Even if it's not the story I'd choose, including it would add cohesiveness to the presentation.

When you hit the start button, explain you're this guy with a van who has to battle crazy weather-related anomalies or whatever. You collect van power-ups that [whatever the power-ups do]. You set a course for your next fight by [whatever it is you do to light the scoop]. Etc.

#124 1 year ago

Gameplay of hit the scoop and pick one of several weird, disconnected, TOTALLY EXTREME modes feels like a miss. Most of the mode rules also look very basic.
I like the idea of making the bank of three drop targets more important to gameplay.
The marketing materials presented an outline of a story, but that doesn't appear to be present in the game. Even if it's not the story I'd choose, including it would add cohesiveness to the presentation.
When you hit the start button, explain you're this guy with a van who has to battle crazy weather-related anomalies or whatever. You collect van power-ups that [whatever the power-ups do]. You set a course for your next fight by [whatever it is you do to light the scoop]. Etc.

Agreed. The modes are outrageously basic. Like the video mode is just smashing your flippers. Or the alien one is hit one target three times. It would be cooler to have the gambling aspect. Like... let the player decide when to cash that in. Hit it more and more to score bigger, then hit the scoop to cash out those points out.

Not sure with how whacky and disjointed the theme is that anything can save it, but fleshing these modes out sure would help.

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Maybe this has already been answered but are there any enhancements to the original game's sound with the new sound board? I don't mean like different sound FX and stuff I mean like maybe stereo sound, higher bitrate, or more power being sent to the speakers?

I'm pretty sure System 11s games can't do true stereo as everything is wired together. It's a pretty easy fix but you'd need new hardware.

#126 1 year ago

I agree with the whole backstory issue. I was playing WhirlWind last night, looking at the back glass, and I saw the pigs, the chicken and the extra ball motorcycle cop but what is up with the crab, 5g zombies, scary boys, acid plants, and aliens etc.

Seems like an A.D.D riddled cartoon made into a pinball theme.

#127 1 year ago

Yeah, I feel like this kit is better suited for an Attack from Mars/Revenge from Mars type theme where you have the oddball missions.

#128 1 year ago

I agree with this, and it reminds me completely of the Multimorphic games and is why i sold my p3.

Hit one shot four times, complete the mode.

#129 1 year ago

I think we all have input in gameplay so how about making this a great game also. It is a second game in one pin that's great. Priced fair. I think it will get deeper as we see and play the game and give our thoughts. That is how funhouse 2.0 came along and did not compete with the original. I still play both games and think its great to have both games in a single pin.

#130 1 year ago

I applaud the effort, I really really do. Some clever and even funny ideas in here!

But - and this is my subjective opinion: the fact this is "a NEW and different game / and you can still play the original if you want" does NOT hide that this NEW game seems like a horribly disjointed and random mess. I mean the skill shot - the very first scene in the game! - opens the setting in The Old West?! Fer chrissakes what is this, a Cactus Canyon homage that time travels to Area51? Does the tornado do that? Did they have vans in the old west? Or phone zombies?

I do like some of the new rule ideas: the different skill shots; the use of drops; better rewards for tolls and scoops. But in actual gameplay most of it seems spammy. Like the combined individual elements of original WW (roving targets, single drop, skyway ramps) were broken out into single-mode focus which I fear could get boring. I mean the original one is arguably more chaotic since you do all of that combined in normal play. Breaking objectives into exclusive "modes" is not necessarily better IMO.

Adding to concern, there is no tension in the new game! At its core the theme is about TORNADOES which means tension and anxiety and danger and suspense: from music and effects to callouts, the original does a SUPERB job with this, while layering in some fun humor and relief. Now maybe the new game is supposed to be more than just tornadoes.... but the simple flash animations of tornadoes spinning in stasis in some modes, along with slow, plodding music diddies in others, and dumb kiddie sound effects, just KILL the tension for me. They most certainly do not convey "danger" or "chaos" let alone "total".

So even considering it as "a new game that is NOT Whirlwind": despite reasonably good concepts and ideas, the execution falls flat. And to be fair it's exceptionally difficult to see it as "only a new game" when it literally trades on the name "Whirlwind" for its title, along with storm clouds, before adding extra "chaos" and such.... which only makes the flat gameplay, animations, and music even more disappointing.

As others have said, a more obvious narrative story line to connect everything might help greatly. I would argue this is desperately needed. Maybe the animations and music/effects could improve with time. I appreciate the ideas and effort that clearly went in to this and don't wish to poop on the talent. But as it stands I must constructively express why I'm rather disappointed in the outcome.

#131 1 year ago

I have started a tech thread for a discussion and revelation of possible issues so the folks at Pedretti can hear from owners and also to share with other owners their experiences with game after install.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-chaos-pedretti-kit-issues

#132 1 year ago

The comment about not being this disappointed since the reveal of Dialed-In is exactly my gut feeling on this one also. However, I warmed up to Disled-In over time. I’d really like to hear Pat’s take on this version of his game. Maybe it’s out there somewhere.

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

The comment about not being this disappointed since the reveal of Dialed-In is exactly my gut feeling on this one also. However, I warmed up to Disled-In over time. I’d really like to hear Pat’s take on this version of his game. Maybe it’s out there somewhere.

Dialed in is amazing. Meanwhile, this looks like.... well.... not amazing.

#134 1 year ago

I love D.I
Dialed in had that unique feel and strange theme that had Pat Lawlor written all over it. This one is trying but feels more like a caricature of a lawlor game.

#135 1 year ago

Just saw a code update. 0.28. Downloading now.

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from sacpinball:

Just saw a code update. 0.28. Downloading now.

What did the update add?

#137 1 year ago

i have played this. as a fan of whirlwind, i have to say i do like the new game, it is easier and more forgiving, because usually whirlwind rips me to pieces until i leave frustrated or come back because i need to play again.

this feeling is definitly not on the new game.
what bugs me, is that i couldn't play the original version. it had an error and couldn't be started. does anyone know how the emulated original version holds up? or is it not emulated...

i had a bride of pinbot 2.0 and the emulated original version ruined it for me.... it just wasn't the same, coils were not strong enought, no options to change that...hated it.

#138 1 year ago

I didn’t even think about that the original would be emulated. Even if it’s really good it won’t be the same as the original.

#139 1 year ago

you can change the new game to the original with long pressing start.
but like i said, the originial had an error, so couldn't play it..

#140 1 year ago

Dont worry, the original version plays and feels just like before Kit installation.

For now just open a ticket please, updates are on the way.

https://pedrettigaming.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

#141 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

What did the update add?

So the new update seems to make a few things a bit smoother in the new game. Currently however when playing the original whirlwind game; my game is not playing correctly. For example I started a one player game; I had a great game going at about 12Mil ; then I drained ; all of the sudden I was starting a whole new game and 3 other players were added. So in short, my ball 2 turned into a new 4 player game; and I was back at ball 1 with a zero score.

#142 1 year ago

That’s interesting. Hopefully as they keep adding updates, they will fix this kind of stuff.
Overall, do you like the new game?

1 month later
#143 1 year ago

Any feedback on this game from the owners?

#144 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Any feedback on this game from the owners?

I mean.... if it was awesome wouldn't they be pooping their pants over it?

Speaking of which, wasn't Cary supposed to do a follow up video about his thoughts on this?

#145 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I mean.... if it was awesome wouldn't they be pooping their pants over it?
Speaking of which, wasn't Cary supposed to do a follow up video about his thoughts on this?

I've been anxiously waiting for that review and the more time that goes by the less confidence I have in the kit itself. If the 2.0 game is ho-hum and the original mode plays like it should than it's just a silly option to have. But if the kit either doesn't work right or potentially harms anything else in my game I wouldn't chance installing it.

I ordered one from Cointaker 5/15 and haven't heard anything since.

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I've been anxiously waiting for that review and the more time that goes by the less confidence I have in the kit itself. If the 2.0 game is ho-hum and the original mode plays like it should than it's just a silly option to have. But if the kit either doesn't work right or potentially harms anything else in my game I wouldn't chance installing it.
I ordered one from Cointaker 5/15 and haven't heard anything since.

I feel we haven't heard about it because it is garbage and he got it for free to review... so maybe that's why there is no review. I've heard the original has bugs in the emulation, so it isn't exactly an awesome start.

#147 1 year ago

People will say anything, that's clear.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I've heard the original has bugs in the emulation, so it isn't exactly an awesome start.

If there are then nobody has bothered to report them, because Pedretti hasn't passed along any.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

If there are then nobody has bothered to report them, because Pedretti hasn't passed along any.

An early adopter here was saying it was locking up on him and that they knew it was an issue, so it has been stated.

And to you Mr punkin, surely today isn't your first day here. When people get a new game they rate it a 10. Seeing that almost blnobody is saying anything about this isn't a good news, and you know it.

#150 1 year ago

All i see is you trying to twist events to fit your preferred narrative and making leaps of logic and dodgy conclusions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.