(Topic ID: 292852)

When is it appropriate to call someone out as a scam or beware?

By BigTP25

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C8D70FB2-36D3-4B4B-9326-BC3B62A17A11 (resized).jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Recently made a deal with someone to buy some items. Paid via PP (G&S) but I can't get them to respond to a message asking for tracking. It's been almost a week since I paid. New to the site so I don't want to break any unspoken rules, but I know this person has been logged in and most likely seen my messages.

#2 2 years ago

Make a preliminary post that you are going to do it.

Give us 20 minutes to get the popcorn ready.

Then post it.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Has it been like a day or two or weeks since the deal was made? If it was a less than 48hrs I would not roast them yet. I would just go ahead and mention who it is in this thread and see if anyone knows them.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Has it been like a day or two or weeks since the deal was made? If it was a less than 48hrs I would not roast them yet. I would just go ahead and mention who it is in this thread and see if anyone knows them.

I sent the money on 4/28 and I haven't received a response back asking for a tracking number. It will be a week tomorrow...

#5 2 years ago

In my opinion a week isn’t quite long enough to rip um up.....wait a little longer , even tho you want what you paid for right away ,,,

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

Recently made a deal with someone to buy some items. Paid via PP (G&S) but I can't get them to respond to a message asking for tracking. It's been almost a week since I paid. New to the site so I don't want to break any unspoken rules, but I know this person has been logged in and most likely seen my messages.

if they can take the payment they can send the tracking information.Are you waiting on shipping ? either it hasnt shipped yet or Its on the way with no tracking number.

#7 2 years ago

3 days to respond to a text should be plenty when business is involved,2 days exception for the weekend included

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

3 days to respond to a text should be plenty when business is involved,2 days exception for the weekend included

So glad I’m not selling anything to you ,,, after 3 days you’d have me hung by my ankles and burned at the stake for not replying ,,, things happen in life , yes he probably should have heard something by now ,,, but things happen , you just don’t know ,,,we all want things NOW !! But like I said wait a few more days ,,, then tear him up !!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigalzPinz:

So glad I’m not selling anything to you ,,, after 3 days you’d have me hung by my ankles and burned at the stake for not replying ,,, things happen in life , yes he probably should have heard something by now ,,, but things happen , you just don’t know ,,,we all want things NOW !! But like I said wait a few more days ,,, then tear him up !!

I usually dont buy from private sellers so that may be different,I am thinking from a business.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Private or business, if they can login to their account they can respond to a message.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Private or business, if they can login to their account they can respond to a message.

Good point. BigTP25 when was the last time the seller logged in on Pinside?

C8D70FB2-36D3-4B4B-9326-BC3B62A17A11 (resized).jpegC8D70FB2-36D3-4B4B-9326-BC3B62A17A11 (resized).jpeg
    #12 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

[quoted image]

Whaaaaaa? There are people that don’t come here many times per day!?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

[quoted image]

Yesterday

#14 2 years ago

I'm not mad or anything...and I still want the stuff, but it will be a week, tomorrow, from when I paid for the items and when they last communicated with me. It's possible the items are on the way, so I was going to give it to the end of the week...but an update for tracking, IMO, is not a tall order after a week.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

I sen the money on 4/28 and I haven't received a response back asking for a tracking number. It will be a week tomorrow...

Keep in mind to most people this is hobby, there is no pinball emergency, probably has more than this to deal with, and hasn’t gotten to it. Another consideration, could have something important going on, kids graduation, busy being last couple weeks of school, family illness, sick, left for a couple days for work, who knows. Less than week is definitely to early to go online and call someone a scammer

#16 2 years ago

maybe I wrote this wrong .I wouldnt call anyone out so quickly as a scam but for an email or text 3 days waiting for a reply is plenty.If you bought something and discussed the seller leaving the scene for a few days or so before they can ship that would be different.Things do happen more and more lately it seems.

#17 2 years ago

Had enough time to take his money! Proper thing to do is ship it out, take a picture of the tracking label and send it!
    If he was delayed could shoot a text email or PM saying won't go out till... probably less time than than writing this.
    Deal is deal money for product.

#18 2 years ago

I do find it odd that people can be super responsive before the sale, then once they have the money they all of a sudden can’t reply to messages. No idea if the OP’s situation was like this. But i can relate. Its not impatience. Its the anxiety of not knowing. Had it happen to me once. Once. Omg - who doesnt want a Johny Dangerously pin? Ok nobody. Back on track. I got my item but it was a long period of silence before i got tracking. And ya, could see they were logging into pinside everyday.

So when i sell something i make a point to ship it as soon as im sent payment. the next day at the worst. I feel its my obligation to fulfill my end of the bargain once they fulfill theirs. I’m in the camp of those who give a shit about their rep.

I didn’t read the OP’s post as impatience. Or entitlement. Just wanting advice on when to do something. I’m sure right now someone else has a similar thread where they are being told they shouldnt of waited so long to say something....

Anyway, I would consider the sellers rep, history on pinside and feedback before i got too nervous. Plus you didn’t use F&F so you always got that to fall back on.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

maybe I wrote this wrong .I wouldnt call anyone out so quickly as a scam but for an email or text 3 days waiting for a reply is plenty.If you bought something and discussed the seller leaving the scene for a few days or so before they can ship that would be different.Things do happen more and more lately it seems.

Close to $600 for items... I don't think updating a chat with a track number is too much to ask. Also, considering their last activity on the site was yesterday. I understand pinball is never an emergency, but this isn't for a $20 mod either. To which, I bought a few last night through the pinside store and was hit with a tracking number almost immediately.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

Close to $600 for items... I don't think updating a chat with a track number is too much to ask. Also, considering their last activity on the site was yesterday. I understand pinball is never an emergency, but this isn't for a $20 mod either. To which, I bought a few last night through the pinside store and was hit with a tracking number almost immediately.

I agree you spending that kind of money and the guy drops off the face of the earth and yet you see him logged in. Just call him out so no one else gets burned at a minimum he should let you know the items have been sent.

#21 2 years ago

I don’t ask for money from my customers until an item is ready to ship, if they have your cash ask where your stuff is, no response in 3 days and they are avoiding you; either they flaked or you are getting screwed.

Pinside should root out people that do this shit, period.

#22 2 years ago

I’d give it a few more days, but would be annoyed and getting concerned with $600 on line none the less. Is this a long time pinsider? Any feedback on their profile? Lots of forum posts?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

I’d give it more time, but completely sympathize with your concern. If you sell something and take money, you have to communicate on shipping or give an update if the buyer asks. Honestly, there is no excuse for not communicating these days. Emails go directly to phones, which we all have with us all the time. It takes less than 1 minute to provide a short response. We respond usually within minutes unless we are driving or sleeping, it’s just the right thing to do for a customer-facing business.

#24 2 years ago

It's kinda like when you get a BGresto glass, he responds to the Inquiry immediately and sends you an invoice, you pay, and after 3 months you get curious about shipping and send over a friendly email and you're ghosted. Escalate PayPal and he ships the next day. Some sellers are just like that I guess but a week is too early IMO.

#25 2 years ago

I count to 10. If they don't reply, open fire.

#26 2 years ago

It's been a week. Message them one more time for a payment within 2 days, then open a dispute with Paypal to get your money back. If you have time to be responsive before receiving payment, you have time to be responsive AFTER receiving payment. Cash/payment in-hand does not mean you can just leave the buyer hanging.

As a buyer or a seller, I expect communication. If you care enough to take cash, then you need to care enough to fulfill your obligation as a seller. Life happens, yeah, but literally 2 minutes to send a message.

#27 2 years ago

I like to avoid these types of headaches as much as possible if I can with people that I don’t know much about. I ask before I’ve sent any money how soon the items will be shipped and when I will receive the tracking information. Then if I decide to go thru with the transaction and the seller doesn’t meet the expectations of our agreement I’d have no problem starting a thread and calling them out.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I like to avoid these types of headaches as much as possible if I can with people that I don’t know much about. I ask before I’ve sent any money how soon the items will be shipped and when I will receive the tracking information. Then if I decide to go thru with the transaction and the seller doesn’t meet the expectations of our agreement I’d have no problem starting a thread and calling them out.

He said he'd send tracking out last Saturday. So, that was discussed.

UPDATE: I filed a claim with PayPal, so we'll see what happens. If he comes back to life, then I will cancel it when I get the items.

#29 2 years ago

Good call on claiming. After 2 days of no communication, taking measures beyond "Hey any update here?" is more than applicable. Regardless of if it was $5 or $10k...that behavior is just unprofessional/disrespectful/*insert "not cool" synonym* when dealing online.

If there is a message in the future that starts with "So sorry, X emergency came up my bad sorry for the inconvenience..." and his/her profile doesn't show it as repeatable behavior...then obvs we're all human and that is a forgivable excuse.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Takes just a few seconds to message someone that life is happening and you need a few days. If you are going to collect money from people then yes, you have obligations.

#31 2 years ago

When money is involved, messaging should be involved. I give people a couple of days to respond to messages, three days over a weekend, but thats just common courtesy. When the value of the money involved goes up, then the period by which I expect a response goes down. We talking more than a hundred? Or less? Because thats my breakpoint on courtesy. If I'm in to you for $100 bucks, I am worth two minutes for a message.

#32 2 years ago

If you got time to list an item for sale, you got time to send a quick message with a status update. I can understand if its actually taking a bit to get the item shipped, but at least keep me in the loop! Lack of communication after a sale is a big red flag, especially after a week and multiple times reaching out. Let your buyer know whats going on. I'd be in call out mode already tbh. I wouldn't treat anyone who buys anything from me like that, and I expect at least a modicum of the same type of courtesy from the seller.

#33 2 years ago

UPDATE: I got a response. Apparently, a family emergency happened with the death of a family member. Inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. Which again, I wasn't mad or anything just like "uhhhhhhhh hello? Wake up....look alive (hits with a stick)" haha. I did file the claim on PayPal, he did give me the tracking and it's scheduled to arrive today, so that's cool! Just odd timing, file the PayPal claim, oh death in the fam, but here is tracking you've been asking for, for days now. I don't know...just happy things appear to be worked out.

Off topic...but pray for me, I just spent $875 on mods for my Stern TMNT pinball and my wife might kill me. If that happens and you see my case on Dateline or something... Tell my story...

Thanks pinheads!

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

Just odd timing, file the PayPal claim, oh death in the fam, but here is tracking you've been asking for, for days now.

People do all kinds of strange things to save face, even if ‘oops, sorry’ would have been an acceptable response. I’ve given up trying to make sense of it.

Hope you get your stuff and avoid being killed by your wife.

#35 2 years ago

Another probably unpopular way I did most of my transactions here with Pinside as a seller was to send out stuff to the buyer before I received any payment. I would ask for their address, then after I shipped the item I would provide them with the tracking info, then when they received the item confirmed by tracking I would send them my PayPal info. Never had a problem and the buyers never had to worry. Only slight glitch was a package that got messed up and returned to me. But I did have to use my better judgment as to the credibility of some Pinsiders that either were fairly new or not much history/feedback on them.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

UPDATE: I got a response. Apparently, a family emergency happened with the death of a family member. Inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. Which again, I wasn't mad or anything just like "uhhhhhhhh hello? Wake up....look alive (hits with a stick)" haha. I did file the claim on PayPal, he did give me the tracking and it's scheduled to arrive today, so that's cool! Just odd timing, file the PayPal claim, oh death in the fam, but here is tracking you've been asking for, for days now. I don't know...just happy things appear to be worked out.
    Off topic...but pray for me, I just spent $875 on mods for my Stern TMNT pinball and my wife might kill me. If that happens and you see my case on Dateline or something... Tell my story...
    Thanks pinheads!

Only because you made mention that you bought mods for TMNT, but if this was Medisinyl (Greg) that you sent money to for his TMNT mods, he is 100% a standup guy and whatever he told you would be true based on my experiences and every other pinsider that I know who has dealt with him. If it was someone else, then carry on.

#37 2 years ago

See pinballsp, regarding dmdmk66 and his upcoming holomod for creech

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Only because you made mention that you bought mods for TMNT, but if this was Medisinyl (Greg) that you sent money to for his TMNT mods, he is 100% a standup guy and whatever he told you would be true based on my experiences and every other pinsider that I know who has dealt with him. If it was someone else, than carry on.

While he purchased TMNT mods from me, our transaction was completed smoothly.

I'm not the one in question here, but it's good to see the community would have my back if someone ever did create a thread about a slow response

#39 2 years ago

always a family emergency, sudden health issue, etc.. That's nice that the part(s) were actually sent pretty much on time though, usually that's not the case. You never know with these stories.. things do happen, but when you look and see the person is still logging into pinside and not responding, that's when I call BS.

Not that it matters.. all that matters is that you're getting what you paid for in a reasonable amount of time, and it sounds like it worked out so that's great.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

my wife might kill me

If she does, can I have your pins ?

Quoted from Mbecker:

always a family emergency, sudden health issue, etc..

20 years ago on an Ebay newsgroup. The common non payment of an auction won was someone would contact the seller and let them know the high bidder died. When they finally, actually had a legitimate high bidder did die. They had a newsgroup party to celebrate finally a real one. Some people did express sympathy for the deceased.

LTG : )

#41 2 years ago

48 hours for a confirmation is reasonable, a week is just ignorant and definitely a reg flag...

#42 2 years ago

Communication, communication, communication. Why is it so hard for some people?

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Takes just a few seconds to message someone that life is happening and you need a few days. If you are going to collect money from people then yes, you have obligations.

bingo

I think he was just looking for more of a "hey, yes I got your $600 payment and I will ship early next week" which is understandable. If you can login to your account daily then that should not be hard.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigalzPinz:

I’m happy you finally received communication,, I just know from experience that a week probably isn’t quite long enough , before you call someone a “scammer “ if family emergencies, or other uncontrollable circumstances happen , they may not be able to drop everything and message every person they sold something to ...

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:Communication, communication, communication. Why is it so hard for some people?

I had to retire partly because of this. 24/7, 200 to 300 emails a day. It isnt easy, and hard to be big enough for 24/7 knowledgeable staff.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had to retire partly because of this. 24/7, 200 to 300 emails a day. It isnt easy, and hard to be big enough for 24/7 knowledgeable staff.

I feel that. Or sometimes you have a draft typed up, outlook crashes, you assume you replied while the message is still in your draft folder. Small scale isn't so bad. I can barely keep up with my daily work emails though.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigalzPinz:

I’m happy you finally received communication,, I just know from experience that a week probably isn’t quite long enough , before you call someone a “scammer “ if family emergencies, or other uncontrollable circumstances happen , they may not be able to drop everything and message every person they sold something to ...

I didn't call anyone a scammer. I simply asked when it was appropriate to call it out. If not after a week, after payment was received, then when? Keep in mind... I was not under any delusion it should have been delivered within a week. I just wanted a tracking number!

So again... How long, after payment was received, is it appropriate to suspect something doesn't smell right?

In the end, it didn't matter but I never mentioned their name and I never called them a scammer.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigTP25:

I didn't call anyone a scammer. I simply asked when it was appropriate to call it out. If not after a week, after payment was received, then when? Keep in mind... I was not under any delusion it should have been delivered within a week. I just wanted a tracking number!
    So again... How long, after payment was received, is it appropriate to suspect something doesn't smell right?
    In the end, it didn't matter but I never mentioned their name and I never called them a scammer.

Ok you said scam ,,,, my bad !!!

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

While he purchased TMNT mods from me, our transaction was completed smoothly.
    I'm not the one in question here, but it's good to see the community would have my back if someone ever did create a thread about a slow response

Oh that reminds me. I better battering ram for GOT. Order incoming.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Oh that reminds me. I better battering ram for GOT. Order incoming.

A cool looking mod, but that one is by Mezel Mods I believe

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-is-it-appropriate-to-call-someone-out-as-a-scam-or-beware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.